Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
They should bring Negan back to Tekken 8 because why not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
The Tekken Force segment in the story mode destroyed my left hand, never mashed so hard in a while.

faantastic posted:

I got 4 matches in and now every ranked game is crashing, going to give it a day and just enjoy everything else I guess.

I'm on PS5 and I got exactly 4 online matches too before it was consistently crashing. I'll stay on the single player modes for now.

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 26, 2024

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Nice Van My Man posted:

It was that or some sort of reincarnation clone thing. I'm glad she's not a reincarnation clone.

Ever since someone here said she got "favorite daughter energy" I was completely convinced.

Every character episode ending I saw was good, I'm having fun with them. I'm glad they nailed the spirit of those old Tekken endings, they were pretty lacking in Tekken 7.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

AndyElusive posted:

On the topic of Leroy does anyone have any good resources for playing him in T8? After a couple of days of labbing with him I think I've settled on him as my main. Him and Sugar are by far some of the coolest loving characters in Tekken.

Bumping this, I'm also settling on Leroy after exploring so many characters (goddamn Tekken giving me choice overload)

My impression is that if you're only getting into Tekken now the newer characters will "feel" better to you.

(I know Leroy was introduced 5 years ago in T7, but he still feel like a "new character" to me compared to say Kazuya)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Seltzer posted:

Most of the tekken lore is really stupid and it was kinda amusing seeing people saying that tekken 8 plot was RUINED from seeing thumbnails on YT.

What the thumbnails were spoiling anyway? I heard a lot about those thumbnails but I'm not sure I saw any of them, like maybe there was one that showed a glimpse of Jun's ending?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

unattended spaghetti posted:

So funny story. I am a lot better at Tekken if I use the color filters. Unfortunately they make the game look like pure poopy. Kinda sucks but I'll be out of yellow ranks in no time now. Jeez. Gonna have to take a screenshot so y'all can see what I mean it is horrifying.

That's interesting, I read people speculating that despite the color filters looking kinda neat they didn't really help anyone. So you're proving them wrong!

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Seltzer posted:

Dude I'm so done with PC players, I can't play another 5 bar PC player on a lovely machine it's so absurd they show as wired 5 bars. I've had more trouble with PC 5 bar wired than console 5 bar wireless at this point. FFS, there needs to be a minimum performance level allowed to play online.

It seems like for the most part it's not because those people are not meeting minimum system requirements, it's actually because nvidia hosed up with some recent driver update and now a lot of games are running like garbage.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm not sure if SF6 combos are harder than Tekken 8 combos because they both require some serious execution practice and I'm kinda garbage in both.

Mortal Kombat combos are generally easier though, I'm pretty sure of that.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Levin posted:

Friend shared this reddit post discussing Harada's responses to team battle and tekken shop: https://www.reddit.com/r/Tekken/comments/1bhg4lj/harada_explaining_why_theres_no_team_battle_in_t8/

I'm curious if anyone is familiar enough with the development of fighting games that they can explain why team battle would be so costly to implement. Also, a friend remarked on the load times for team battle being terrible in the past before SSD but I know Tekken Tag was able to implement a system where multiple characters were loaded at one time so what's the challenge in doing so for a team battle format? I'm thinking like the 3-on-3 team-based format KoF has.

I can understand not going to the trouble if in fact the demand for the mode is not there or there's data to suggest it will not be used but I have a hard time believing it would see less play than Tekken Ball. Personally, I would love that mode and had a blast doing 8 character battles with friends back in the day. It was refreshing to not play against the same handful of characters ad infinitum and encouraged us to get familiar with more of the cast. There was some strategy involved as well, do you start with your main hoping to run up a lead against your opponent? Do you arrange your roster to gain some matchup advantage?

I think processor-memory performance gap is a significant factor (even after SSDs) but Tekken 8 deals with loading characters much better than T7. I think the biggest annoyance would be to implement and debug the networking aspect of team battle, even more so if it's supposed to support more than 2 players. It took many months for online tournaments in SF6 to be mostly functional, if you consider that Capcom have been squabbling with these modes since SF5 it took them like half a decade to get right.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I finally decided to dip into online matches after all this time and maybe it's because I'm an absolute newbie but it's so fun. It's chaotic and volatile as poo poo in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I just played a King and he was owning the poo poo out of me with those interminable sequence of throws but then I figured something and the tide turned because he couldn't deal with Azucena's shenanigans at all.

And at the end he just gave up, King fell down and didn't get up anymore. I destroyed that person's spirit.

For real, I played literally thousands of Street Fighter matches online and never seen this before.