Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I haven't played the demo, do you still have to BDC/KBD in T7?

I remember hearing someone mention that they'd changed the way it works so it wasn't as important anymore? I haven't played tekken in like 4 years at this point probably so I'm probably gonna have to relearn a lot of muscle memory either way

In general backdashing isnt as good as in Tekken 7 , but sidestep got a lot stronger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

As a long time tekkeneer and old man, Im super excited to try out Victor

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Basticle posted:

They sent a review copy to some random nobody YouTuber and God the Paris stage looks sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qR9t-_psV0

The Paris theme is so incredibly good

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Went 3-2 in my local launch tournament. Leo is good.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Dawgstar posted:

PhiDX has a good beginner video that even starts with saying what buttons map to 1234 which not every beginner video does. He doesn't assume you know anything about it, which is nice for fighting game dum-dums like me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D58LncnVbXM

PhiDX is a great watch in general. Really good match breakdowns

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Orv posted:

I mean there are definitely characters that fit the more like, grim, grounded aesthetic of Tekken which is definitely part of why I've always felt like it's cooler or 'more real' than other fighting games. But this is also a series where a man with a jaguar head is a Mexican professional wrestler and the main conflict in the story is that some people just genetically have a bit of Satan, The Devil in them. Bryan is a cyborg but also kind of a zombie and he's Real Mad. It's an inherently dumb series and the head of a ninja assassination clan being some posh, John Wick French guy feels pretty on point.

That's subjective, of course but I'm definitely in camp it works.

If you think Tekken has a grim, grounded aesthetic then I strongly encourage you to play the story mode.

This has always been a game where Roy Batty can fight a space ninja.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Autsj posted:

This is not fully true. There is a leverless trick for electrics, but that one itself actually requires quite a bit of practice to do in an actual match, and it only works on one side unless you have specifically placed, extra movement buttons. It's nice for a video demo. The motion of a kbd is very easy on leverless, but it is actually pretty easy on any controller. Getting it tight and fast is the real story and that requires a lot of practice and training of the fingers (regardless of controller).

I cant reliably ewgf or kbd on stick despite using one for over a decade, and had both absolutely down easy after less than a half hour trying a hitbox

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

great big cardboard tube posted:

I've watched a few getting started videos but one thing I'm still super confused on is the dash on heat engage when you land a move that just does it automatically. Your opponent is actually safe I've gathered but you maybe have a mixup opportunity or?

Playing Feng I've started just using the sprint up to command grab 1+2 break but that seems very very wrong even though my low level opponents eat it like 95% of the time.

Like say I b3+4 sway into 2, heat auto engages I auto sprint and then... What's the deal really?

You're something like +17 on hit with heat engage in that situation

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

great big cardboard tube posted:

Is that after the sprint? Like anything 17 or faster will connect no matter how far they were knocked back and my character had to sprint? It hasn't seemed that way but I'm definitely guilty of just queuing back up instead of properly labbing, I just block after people heat engage and I've never taken another hit off it but it's entirely possible it's cause I'm bad and the people I fight are bad.

They can still block

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Autsj posted:

I'm eager to hear your tips and secrets: I can do both on stick no real problem but I switched over to a leverless when SF6 came out and despite 2 weeks of practice I can do neither good enough to rely on in an actual game.

Theres a few youtube videos out there. Its mostly a rythmn thing.

Im thinking about building a crossup stick which is the best of both worlds

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Orv posted:

Okay, talk to me Goose; Lili some bullshit.

It feels but probably isn't true that all of her goddamn flips and fast kicks and all that are ridiculously safe/hard to punish because of their block push back or how far away she ends up at the end of a string. Surely it can't be as safe as it looks and the pause in her triple back flip between hit 2 and 3 can't be the only punish. What do?

All those Lili strings are generally very weak to sidestep

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kantesu posted:

It's a 3D fighter tradition

God, compared to Akira in VF, Mishimas have it easy

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Man, I finally got fully through the video I linked up thread from superakouma and it really did explain the combo system really well

I was struggling to figure out where to apply heat stuff in a match, now I got some stuff to play around with. Also the wall explanation really helped me understand what I'm looking for in getting them to the wall

The good thing about watching Superakouma in Tekken 8 is that he's also learning to play Tekken for the first time.

Niche joke for Tekken 7 heads.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Cat Machine posted:

They added this guy called “Akuma” in Tekken 7 who would probably fit your needs but he didn’t come back in 8 for some reason :(

It sounds like you might like Law though. He feels more pressure-focused in 8 but a lot of his game is about using your legs smartly to keep people at the idea range for stupid bullshit more complex mixups

Bryan is probably the biggest rear end in a top hat for playing keepout, 3+4, qcb1, are safe or plus and ch into full combos

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I made someone ragequit today but I'm not even mad at them. They were about to get triple perfected by my ignorant King and were six ranks above me.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Char posted:

Down to the ARRIVEDERCI in his Rage Art
I'm Italian and all he spouts is nonsense

But on a serious note, he has fewer gimmicks than the rest of the cast, he has poor lows, he has few frametraps, and he forces me to learn how to sidestep to use his SS4.
I'm finding him a great character if you want to learn Honest Tekken, moreso than Paul and Asuka who I've tried so far

Claudios ff4 is straight up disgusting. Fast mid that gets followups on ch and is onl-1 on block??

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Urethane posted:

Leo has pretty good moves to approach, like qcf 2,1 , or qcf 1 or b1,4

This is where you have to start exploring your options and thinking.Try running at them and blocking before you are in range for ff2 or some other long range move. Did they do anything? If they whiffed something great, if not you can go for one of the moves above.

db2, 4, if you can hit confirm the second hit, is an incredible long range option

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lhet posted:

This has been my first tekken I've put real time into since about 4, been bouncing around yellow/red with leo (Jack-8 is my alt but really struggling getting any wins). Pretty much just leaning on the knk mixup and jabs, doing well when it works and struggling when I can't get a turn. (e. the moves I'm using are B1,4,mixup; 1,2,mixup; F4,mixup; 1+2, FF2, F2+3, grabs) I'm generally being very slow about adding moves because I want to be good at using good tools but LMK if there are any suggestions I should be using.
I'm often folding to people with heavy pressure strings involving a lot of ducking so that it's hard to jab them out, people who mixup a lot with throws (particularly king), and just getting my back to the wall and taking way too much damage. Also people who space well, get me to whiff and punish heavily - but I feel like every time that happens I learn a lot.

Long time Leo main here, the 1, 2 mixup is pretty terrible.

You have an incredible whiff punish in db2, 4 that is hit confirmable, a safe mid launcher in uf2, 1 (if you have heat available or are an execution savant)

d2 is a solid plus on block, mid ch launcher.

If youre folding to people trying to space and whiff punish, dash block at them til they crack or hit a wall

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Char posted:

I finally got to red ranks.
Thanks everyone for your earlier support.

Now I'm trying to learn how to consistently set up a wall situation.

Leo is fun. You always have something to sneak into the opponents' mental stack.
My first attempts are trying to setup a wall splat, then b+1,4 KNK3, 4 into b+1+2,1+2,1+2
Is this good enough or should I test something different?

LTTP but ws 1,4,1 is more damage as the ender

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Nazzadan posted:

T8 King is maybe the best King has ever been and he still isn't the best character in T8 so don't feel bad about playing him

Its the best he's been since Tekken 8, in which he was absolutely game breaking. He'd be great even if he didn't have throws, that's how strong he is

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Nice Van My Man posted:

Yeah, that seems to be a consensus. I know the pros have been complaining about this, I think they said it was oppressive, and that really is how it feels. Constant blowout victories, always be attacking because you don't want to get stuck in defense, constant pressure into 50/50. Like you said it's pretty universal criticism, so I have hope they'll dial it back.

It is an even number Tekken though, they'll probably figure it out for 9 and have another classic like 3, 5 and 7. 4, 6 and 8 will just be the weird ones where they strayed a little too far from what works.

I'm just bitchy because my Reina is hard stuck in Bushin. I legit do feel that matches in 8 make me way more stressed and unhappy than 7 though.

The pros like Arslan were complaining until they adapted and started winning again.

The old games are still there for people who like them.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

This is also the most a tekken game has changed since 3 to 4, people were always going to have Opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Reinas EWGF does have slightly more recovery on whiff than the others, but that was still an insane take