Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I've been having a blast trying out characters. Azucena, Panda, and even Paul, who I've barely used since Tekken 3, all feel good to play, regardless of how suboptimally I'm doing it. I've always enjoyed the bears, but T8 Panda is my favorite to date. Get beachball'd.

Rolo posted:

I saw their news on steam that matchmaking is fixed. Anyone confirm?

I played quick and ranked matches for 2 hours without any disruption earlier. Zero issues since they said it was fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I've had zero mirror matches as either bear. In fact, I think I've yet to run into a Kuma or a Panda at all across hundreds of matches.

I've won all my Xiaoyu mirror matches (because I'm slightly underranked by virtue of playing a little bit with everyone to start out, instead of trying to go as high as I can with Ling), but once I run into someone good, I don't think I'll be getting away with my spinning and ff2 jumping and BT heat move into hypnotist 3 bullshit anymore.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I customized my main for the first time since launch day, and when I went back into Ranked and picked the new costume, my next fight had me locked into the special control thingymajig where every button does something completely different than normally. And heat engage did not exist, because I'd removed it as a shortcut in my controller setup on day one. I still beat the garyu-ranked Hwoarang I was matched against though, so now I know the key to that matchup is to forget every move and setup I've ever learned.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

spiritual bypass posted:

Is 70k online prowess a sticking point for anyone else? Can't get myself higher than that

I had about an 80% win rate until I got to around 120, where I immediately dropped to going 50-50 and forever being just out of reach of my old beloved/reviled Mighty Ruler rank, where I remember spending a real long time being stuck in 7.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
You get like 140,000 Tekken bux for an online win, and the few items I've unlocked have all cost significantly less than that. I assume I have something in the vicinity of a hundred million in the Tekken bank by now, so it'd be a nice surprise if they made them useful.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I've had maybe a handful of people ragequit on me in something like a thousand matches. And I play wildly dishonest Tekken!

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Levin posted:

I'm trying to get away from the button mashing but suspect there is a ceiling to how capable I am of learning the tougher mechanics, moves, combos, etc.

I can only do combos with 2 characters, always hit 1 to try to break anything resembling throws, never ever sidestep (and barely even bother trying to backdash in this one since it doesn't seem to get me out of the way of anything), etc., and after plateauing with my main at flame ruler, I'm pretty comfortably in the process of getting everyone else up to the red ranks. Good execution or complex gameplans really aren't necessary if you just ("just" is very relative--it sure helps if you've been playing the series for a few decades, although I feel like I already understand most of the new characters' main weapons) learn to recognize the most common strings and remember to punish the real unsafe stuff.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

the tutorial had me doing 6 string tornado combos

Almost no one is doing that within the first dozen hours of Tekkening. But it's really not as complicated as the number of hits and the "tornado" part make it sound. 6 hits is probably just something like an uppercut/jump kick to launch, a 2- to 3-hit combo string that "tornado"es the juglee, and then a 1-3 hit string to end it. Tons of beginners only know a few strings and rarely if ever combine them with launchers.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Every character I haven't played as has been auto-leveled to garyu, which seems reasonably fair. I would go 0-1000 if I had to try to pick up a new character that I can't play at all at blue ranks, but at garyu, while I should be able to rank up just by feasting on people still learning the basics, I'll definitely drop some sets to lower ranked players who are already comfortable with their character. I dunno if any game has a way to ensure that higher-ranked players' secondary characters only match up with others that are in the same boat.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Change your settings to only match you within +-2 ranks. You'll avoid that issue and gain more points.

Shinryu is already within 2 ranks of eliminator.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I just finished taking Eddy from beginner to garyu to hopefully get a feel for what to watch out for when I face him in the future. I ran into 0 Zafinas, which is extremely close to the number of Zafinas I've met while playing as the rest of the roster.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Aside from being slightly less wasteful with my heat gauge, I don't think I've made any notable improvements since I got the game. I'll never sidestep or otherwise treat Tekken as a non-2D experience, apparently. But I don't think I can ever get tired of eternally treading water in this game, unless the DLC characters end up feeling T7 Leroy levels of unfair.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I made it into the top 10 (in a 33-person bracket) of the online last-chance qualifier for my (small, Tekken-ly insignificant) country's national Tekken championships today. Last time I did anything tournamenty was in the Tekken 6 days, where I made it to what I believe were the losers' finals in a rinky-dink room with single-digit participants.

In this tourney, I was immediately stomped by a guy who's already qualified for the "real event", beat 3 players (including the most recent in-person tournament runner-up, somehow!) in fairly competitive sets, won an adrenaline-pumping rock/paper/scissor match via DMs against another poor soul whose NAT 2 type internet is also apparently incompatible with others of the same type, and was finally unceremoniously sent packing by the same guy who mollywhopped me in the opening round. He won all 6 rounds as Eddy in our first match, and 6 of 7 as Feng in the next, so I'm pretty sure this guy could just do a random pick and outfundamental me en route to a victory 999 out of a 1000 times.

Anyways, didn't know I could care that much about winning or losing in Tekken anymore, so that was surprisingly fun.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Somewhere around 50% of my total damage received in Tekken 7 was as a consequence of my 3+4 spring kick addiction. Now I'm probably down to only doing it about 2-3 times per set, so it's only to blame for maybe 20% of the unnecessary punishment I eat.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I wanted Lei for 7 but have to admit I didn't end up using him nearly as much as I thought I would've. I singlehandedly played enough Ganryu to hopefully lead to him getting another unjustifiable DLC spot in 8, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I, also a spring kick addict, have 3+4 mapped to R1. Lotsa different shoulder button action goin' on here.