Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Update your drivers! The newest AMD one had something for Tekken 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Which graphic upscale setting looks the best?

Also I'm so bad at KBD now.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Artelier posted:

Is there a guide to EWGF, or even just the dash part? I feel like my dashing itself is inconsistent; some days I just "get" the timing and nail it most of the time, other days I feel like I'm doing the same thing but nothing comes out so clearly it's not sticking in my head somehow.

Turn on input history if you haven't already.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Yeah, Bryan in T7 felt awkward to pilot after playing a bunch of characters with good generic tools.

Also it's amazing how fast muscle memory comes back after not playing Tekken for like five years lol.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
You get automatic ewgfs in heat. Or they just practiced electrics only.

I don't play mishimas but doing ewgfs with a 2+3 macro with a left shoulder button on my pad made it a lot easier.

Like from a 20% chance of hitting a proper ewgf to 70% immediately without additional practice

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Who's the df1 dispenser in this game?

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Yeah strong df1s like kazumi. I wanna just jab,df1 and d4 people to death lol

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im a native speakers and the translations bug me the gently caress up with Azucena.

Like a native speaker actually wrote her lines but then someone translated it to a different language and then that was translated to english.

How do you like her voice acting?

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
On pad, try a 2+3 macro on one of your left shoulder buttons. It's a lot easier for me personally when using the same hand to do a EWGF.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

unattended spaghetti posted:

Speaking of scrubby bullshit, you wanna know how to tilt someone? A neutral df1 looped until they either step it, duck it, or jab it. I've always been the scrub in Tekken, still am in fact, but my God it feels good to be on the other side of the knowledge check.

All I'm trying to learn right now is when to press and when to wait. There's so many God drat strings I swear. Getting it but it is quite the process. I'm not even launching rn. Combos aren't hard per se, but learning the movement and punishment seems a better use of my time right now.

You can progress quite a bit just by doing jabs, df1, a fast low, launcher and a sub-optimal combo. Add a fast punisher. Then maybe add some backdashes or sidesteps if you're feeling frisky!

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Jun's clothes are quite flowy and distracting when she's running strings on you.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
The running joke was that by starting Tekken now, you'll be ready for the next game in the future.

I'm curious how those player stats work, I have Block Up and Goal Orientated which I haven't seen anyone else with lol.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Okay, it was 2+3 I was supposed to put on the left shoulder, so I think I was doing that right. It was an amazing crutch, I was getting EWGF almost a third of the time (rather than my usual almost-never), but half the time I mess it up it counts as a Heat activation. Is there any way to make that button combination stop triggering Heat? There's already a dedicated Heat button on R1! Or a way to bind plain RP to both buttons?

2+3 is just how you activate Heat for players without macros/binds. You're just going to have to be a little cleaner with your inputs. Sounds like maybe you're hitting your punch too fast?

Turn on input history and look at what you're pressing. I would try slowly doing the motion inputs and just practice getting regular WGFs to make sure you got the directional motion down.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
My game has crashed a handful of times since launch not including network errors. Maybe just a coincidence :shrug: .

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

I would recommend giving Asuka a try.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Nice, I nailed it. B+3 your way to victory! She's very annoying to fight against especially when you're new to Tekken due to her defensive style and parries.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
*Slowly walks backwards and then suddenly starts wavedashing at you*

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Yeah, players at dan 1 and ~5k prowess, just rocking me. Probably just a skill issue, but drat if I expected to not even take a round off of people just starting out. I have a lot of grinding to do!

Honestly, they're probably just pressing more buttons than you. Don't worry about it.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Brosnan posted:

Pretty much everyone in Tekken is a rushdown character, that's just the game (which is good news for you!). I play Hwoarang, and he is really fun and you get to press a shitload of buttons, but I gotta tell you, you are not setting yourself up for success as a brand new player with that pick. Lili is like 1/10 the complexity to learn, so I recommend sticking to her for a while. Ling and Yoshi also have lots of gimmicky stuff to get distracted by when you should be focused on applying movement and basic tools.

Are you enjoying Tekken 8 and the direction it's going? Like the heat stuff. I remember you were the Tekken vet when Tekken 7 came out.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I still quite enjoy slowly chopping away the opponent with Jack db1.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Mr E posted:

I have no idea what to do against Reina as a Dragunov. It doesn't help that I'm running into people doing perfect EWGFs at yellow rank and are breaking every single grab. Running f+2 works OK if they get annoyed by it but I ran into 3 different Reinas in a row that really seemed like they did not belong at the rank they were at, probably just me being tilted tho. Otherwise Dragunov seems great, super punishing especially if he can get a wall splat.

Not Reina specific but do more d2. Tap up after landing a d2 to loop into another d2.

b4,2 / b4,2,1 is a good string to apply pressure. Finish the string if they're pressing after b4,2. b1+2 has huge plus frames once you got them scared. Should be enough to push through.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Nothing wrong with learning Bears as your first character. They can be played in a clean and non-gimmicky way if you like.

It going to be tougher at first but sounds like you got the right idea in regards to whiff punishing. Bears are great and even more fun to play in T8.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Mr E posted:

Got thru a few ranks with Dragunov using b+4,2,1 and d2 along with running 2 but I'm stuck at the top of yellow rank now, will win 3 rounds with that string and a few others against people 3 ranks higher then I'll run into a Jin or Reina 3 ranks lower that seems to literally never have an opening that is more negative than any of my starting attacks so I just die and go back and forth in the same rank. Keep getting up to promotion to orange and then losing at the last second but overall I do feel like I'm improving. Learning to not rely on grabs so much tho the 1+2 grab still gets most people. Running 2 is still the star of the show overall because even if they block it I'm usually at an advantage. May do some quick plays for a while to get better at blocking and knowing when to take my "turn".

Might be time to watch your replays to see what's happening. Not necessarily dissecting your opponent's movelist but maybe one or two strings that troubled you. See if you can duck something or check the frame data.

Just a few minutes here and there will add up.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I would not recommend trying to learn sidestepping so early on but if you really want to, make sure to sidestep -> block quickly to minimize your vulnerability.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Extra Large Marge posted:

Asuka players: What's up with this icon under the health bar? Some characters seem to have this now.

I looked it up and found a bunch of snarky comments online reading "SOMEONE DIDN'T READ THE PATCH NOTES!!!!!1"

So I read the patch notes and found the following:

"An icon has been added below the health gauge to indicate whether the Naniwa Gusto has been activated or not"

What the hell is Naniwa Gusto? Sounds important.

Asuka's buff is when her hands glow green. Off the top of my head it enhances some of her moves. Some minus moves become very plus.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Shockeh posted:

Sure, and I don't disagree conceptually, but even if that's true, and she flips completely once we hit Pro Level Tekken, that in itself is a really interesting line of enquiry. To have a character's success curve be an absolute crash landing until the 1%, where they suddenly skyrocket? (At least, theoretically?) That's really strange data.

That's just how fighting game tier lists end up. Pros are so much better and that chart consists of Mighty Ruler and higher on netplay. They used to even have separate Tournament tier lists and Deathmatch (long sets) tier lists.

Take all charts and even Pro tier lists with a grain of salt especially this early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
For Jack, piss em off with lows and just throw df2 out there.

Or the classic, whiff df2 into df2.

ff 1+2 is an excellent whiff punish launcher. It's also good for punishing those launch punishable moves with pushback.

But it's launch punishable on block so be careful with it.