Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
For those ready and eager to join the TWT, here's a video explaining the neutral by a Tekken guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og6ifaw80E8 (Using 7, so note that magic 4s are mostly gone now from my understanding but other quick CH or space control moves can substitute.)

I'm cautiously optimistic, I didn't like much of what I saw from the early reveals but the general adjustments and responses since have been looking good. And that replay function for sure. Don't have as much time and energy as I did when 7 came out and I haven't played much the past 2 years so I'll probably suck again but, eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

poe meater posted:

Which graphic upscale setting looks the best?

Also I'm so bad at KBD now.

TAAU with render scale set to 100 should basically be native res with upscaling only used for post process AA. If you want actual resolution upscaling then probably DLSS if you have Nvidia; FSR2 for AMD though I find FSR always looks bad in motion.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Artelier posted:

Is there a guide to EWGF, or even just the dash part? I feel like my dashing itself is inconsistent; some days I just "get" the timing and nail it most of the time, other days I feel like I'm doing the same thing but nothing comes out so clearly it's not sticking in my head somehow.

If a motion is regularly inconsistent for you that is a sure sign of having internalized it badly due to sloppy practice; probably because you started out doing it too fast. The key to any fine motor skill is to internalize it by doing the motion slowly and deliberately, with full attention (look at your hands while practicing if you need to.) 10 times each side, with at least a 15 minute break in between (to off-set fatigue/mental wandering) each day for a few days (you need sleep to finalize the internalization). Once the motion feels fully natural and comfortable you can begin speeding it up little by little. If you notice a particular piece of the motion giving you problems then isolate that particular piece and practice it separately 10 times before inserting it into the complete motion again. Once the crouchdash itself is smooth and clean, then you can start to worry about the just frame.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Every time i enter ranked i need to rebind it, toggle it off, and unbind it again

Is everyone im playing using it? Im getting big juggled all the time in the green ranks with flawless execution. Thankfully i catch up with just a few deathfists

You can see when the other player turns it on, it appears on their side of the screen (which I think is stupid because it'll make players self-conscious of using it). If you don't, chances are you just hit a legacy player that is still grinding through the ranks.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Nice Van My Man posted:

This is what let me understand it - don't think of it as f, *, d, df. Just do f, *, df. Basically tap forward, cleanly release, then tap down-forward (+whatever attack if desired) without rolling it.

Frankly I don't even know why they say you have to hit down because you clearly don't and it makes it more complicated.

Reina and Kazuya do not need to hit the down because their wind/mist step counts as a down input. DJ and Jin do need to hit the down.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Weasling Weasel posted:

I'm playing Arcade Quest, and I've got some early thoughts on it. Compared to Tekken 7, which I played for two hours and just put down forever because it was just undecipherable, it's a god send if you don't have any legacy or mechaical knowledge, but it's just a little short of the level of explanation I need to get into it, and what I felt SF6's World Tour mode managed to bring.

Starts with teaching you a simple launcher in into heat move combo, and just asks you to use it in matches with recommended moves to win your first battles, but it doesn't explain when is a good time to be using the launcher, what you should be doing once you've spent all your rage match start, and what the other recommended moves are bringing. Are they complimentary to learning the rage combo, are they complimentary to the character you're playing against, are they complimentary to the opponents you're playing against in Arcane quest? I'm a bit unclear.

Second quest then makes you learn a non-rage launcher combo and then the one after Power Crushes, and then lows and throws the time after, and mixes up the recommended mooves each time it teaches you something... but am I supposed to just be focusing on that powercrush in each game to get used to it, am I supposed to be remembering and layering it over the stuff I learn previously? I'm understanding what it's trying to teach me as Ling, but just not why it's just trying to teach me at each particularly point, and how that relates to overall gameplan. In SF6 WT you'd fight a string of enemies all spamming the same mood, each trying to teach you a fundamental skill like anti-air, punishing unsafe moves, jumping etc, and it'd hit you with it over and over again through a segment to reinforce what scenario it's useful for, but Arcade Quest seems to treat the learning more like, 'Ok, here's a new fundamental concept, now just go back to having another normal battle again'.

Still a godsend rather than having to just use youtube videos to learn as it gives you something to hold on to, but I still don't feel like I'm learning Tekken or becoming a better player from doing it.

The concepts they teach are just kinda in order of what they think you should try, a tutorial with some fights in between; with specific moves selected per character. The actual fights do tend to have specific gimmicks with a lot of opponents having specific gimmicky patterns for the player to figure out, which is good. Where I think it fails is that with the fights only being best of 3, and there not being a rematch button. The player doesn't really get the chance to figure things out before they need to sit through 2 loading screens and retry. So kinda in a way they teach the player to just gimmick out the fights and 1 and done it.

Overall I think it's a neat step in the right direction, but it does feel a bit like a second draft that needs a bit of fine-tuning.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Iserlohn posted:

There's a point in Arcade Quest where they teach you how to do a launcher into tornado combo, and I thought to myself oh that's the sort of combo I should be doing in all my games. I could count the number of times I executed it on one hand.

Yes, and in fact once you understand the structure, it is very easy to put your own butterfinger friendly combos together in practice mode. The structure is [launcher], [filler for damage], [tornado], [finisher]. There are variations, extensions, and tricks possible but those don't matter until you are comfy with the basics. The easiest way to start is to look through your movelist and find a string of 3 or so hits that ends in a tornado (the red spiraly symbol), see if it connects easily to your launcher, then do a running move as a finisher.
Example with Reina: df+2 [launcher], df+4,2,3 [filler with tornado], fff+3 [finisher].

Once you have the structure down you can experiment with additions and variations for damage/utility.
Example based on the above: df+2 [launcher], df+4,2, df+1 [filler], df+4,2,3 [tornado], dash f,n,d,df+1,4 [finisher]

The above works on most of her launchers, the obvious exception here being her (E)WGD. Usually you just need to vary the initial filler to connect.
Example: f,n,d,df+2 [launcher], b+1,1,3 [filler], df+4,2,3 [tornado], dash f,n,d,df+1,4 [finisher]
As you can see, using the exact same moves except for the filler part to account for the slightly higher launch and connecting smoothly.

And also:

unattended spaghetti posted:

I am incredibly bad at this game.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I should try xiayou, she seems fun

I should also learn how to actually use the heat stuff. I feel like I'm getting 50-65 damage on a launch but I can't help thinking that should be higher if I really understood the systems

50-65 is fine before actually going deep with optimization. If you want to use heat during a combo you can replace your finisher with a heat burst, this will rebound the opponent to give you another hit. Apply a heat engager move and hold forward, this gives you a heat dash with another followup (somewhat depending on the engager). This way you can tack on a bit more damage at the cost of your heat, so a little bit use with care in the balance of "will it kill/do I prefer to keep the heat for pressure later".

Autsj fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 31, 2024

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

:hmmyes: good to know

Tekken scaling has always been a mystery to me. I've tested juggles that add a bunch of extra filler moves but a lot of them have several more hits with way less damage. I guess I should just be looking for whatever string does the most damage immediately while leaving them high enough for the tornado

Tekken scaling just sets in very aggressively during the first few hits before bottoming out at 30% or so. You can check this in the lab by doing a launcher and hitting jab a few times on the juggled opponent, check the scaling on the detailed display. This means that you want your chunky hits as early as you can, adding smaller hits later in the combo is fine but starting with smaller hits will tank your overall damage.* I've heard doing a heat dash resets the scaling to 50% or something but I haven't actually checked that out.

*Edit: This is often used as a balancing measure too: bigger juggle starters often launch higher, giving you more leeway starting your combos with bigger hits; while some ch launchers (especially the lows) might give you a very small launch, requiring small sub 10 damage moves to pickup with, pushing up the the scaling and reducing the damage potential for the rest of the combo

Autsj fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 31, 2024

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Orv posted:

I’ve honestly never been clear on what’s official with Leo and what’s stupid internet jokes so I didn’t want to be unintentionally awful.

Just intentionally dad joke awful. :v:

Itsa mess. Long story short is that the team wanted to create a gender ambiguous character and retooled an early draft of a character named Eleanor who practiced Bajiquan. Turning her into Leo who they used gender neutral pronouns for in the Japanese version. Localizations predictably made a mess of this and people asked Harada who told the above story. The early draft part was then left out when the story was retold and western nerds decided that Leo was actually called Eleanor and was thus female. Harada got annoyed in a tweet I can't find anymore so it might be deleted. Things have not really progressed since.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Shockeh posted:

EEE: (Sorry!) I've just found out 8's replay mode will actually pause and give you gameplay improvements? And you can take the game back over and try them? WHAT VOODOO SORCERY IS THIS?
https://x.com/Aurryuken/status/1751670441570140385?s=20

It's amazing, make sure to check the button for punish practice as well since it lets you run repeats on the move you hosed up with. Also, after checking the replays and what you did wrong you can download the ghost of the player that messed you up. Though obviously imperfect and non-adaptable, it can be really handy to try out counters against the poo poo they were doing to you.

Orv posted:

:hmmyes:

I kept meaning to poke at them in T7, their stances are really cool and they just seem like an overall cool moveset character, I should finally rectify that.

Haven't labbed them in 8 but Leo was a really solid and well-rounded character in 7, they could go from solid neutral to pressure and mixups in a blink. Main thing that held them back was that their combos were a little finicky to get down and not amazing without a wall. Their df2 was also a great whiff punisher, but unsafe, so a little practice and precision required to not get hosed up using it like you should.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Seltzer posted:

Cheers. Yeah I hopped online last night after some beers and essentially no t8 ling knowledge and won a bunch with my rusty t7 skills. I used her a bit in TT2 also when that dropped on games with gold on xbox (online is still lively on xbox for that and t6 which rules). Actually technically I used Miharu because she's a funny character and the camera selfie throw is one of the greatest troll moves in tekken history.

I really hope someone makes a T8 version of this soon
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11ETDnPJuku2ref3PzODMpZ4y7e5_wfILR2aPv83WpSw/edit#gid=369227785
Was EXTREMELY useful for picking up chars quickly. Kinda annoying to rifle through random youtubers videos to find out the best BnBs atm

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTsgbCJNSTKajMNlJvQleJOl0eTiEcV-PbeU0obDg1lsSqmz0lTtcD2k6NzfTPt7Db9Ua2dz1o_34Sv/pubhtml

Not complete yet but getting there.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Orv posted:

Calling Shaheen a character isn’t even correct, the man is a cardboard cutout of a sheet of legal paper.

Unrelated, I think in every Tekken overview I’ve ever seen I’ve heard Nina referred to as really hard to execute but I’m not sure anyone has actually explained why. What up? I’m doing my usual “you know I could play someone other than a grappler” fooling myself tour and her move list seemed cool but not necessarily worse than anyone else?

Jokes on you, Nina is partly a grappler.

With evil mist simplified, Nina's execution issues come primarily from her Hayashida step, sidestep 1 cancels, and her butterfly loops; the first two are likely to be really impactful in T8, jury's still out on the butterflies (but then I always thought there were more show than practical). She also has a very large movelist with a lot of situational stuff, so she can lead to analysis paralysis until you are fully comfy with her. But she's also a known scrub killer and it doesn't take much to just cheese people out with her. I mained her in 7, you can ask me what you want about her.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 1, 2024

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Also Diaphone put out a "ease of use" list that seems pretty good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MCxtYuYzs8

sorry for spamming the thread with videos!

Spreading info is fine I'd say, though I skimmed that video this morning and it's ok, and seems well intended, but I'd put some asterisks on a bunch of their choices.

Like Law is a pretty drat easy pick up and play character with enough unga-bunga stuff to give a newer player some free wins, while DSS execution has all been simplified. His core gameplay is basic Tekken and that can be pretty hard by itself, but Law is a pretty easy character to learn it with.

Hwoarang, Steve, and Yoshimitsu (and Ling, a little) are all kinda in this same weird place where learning them, and getting actually good with them, is pretty tough due to their chunky and complex movelists, but for that same reason they will give you a lot of free wins once you know a few bits because most other players won't know what the gently caress you are doing.

DJ was always always the easiest Mishima to play, and from what I can tell he's been made even more unga-bunga with his flying crow stance. Guy is ridic. Reina on the other hand; jury's still out there, right; but from labbing her this weekend I'd say most people are overvaluing her stance mixups. Her mix is pure tickles that are launch punishable and without that she needs some very solid fundamentals and neutral play.

I'm never sure where to place a character like Bryan, his basics are simple as gently caress, his high execution is only relevant on the top end of optimization. He lacks a few standard tools like a basic df1 or df2, and his gameplan is a little different, but if you jive with that he's not all that hard to pick up and play.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Orv posted:

I think there’s definitely that attitude of “If you can’t do a taunt jet upper/live in Phoenix stance/flash everything/never drop Acid Rain/etc are you even alive?!” that kind of makes some of the ideas about how difficult characters in Tekken a bit weird. Almost everybody can get by with your standard punish moves, some very light mixup and combo and whatever your particular gimmick is but the discussion kind of gets warped around the gimmick being the whole of a character.

Which, granted, you’re probably poking at Bryan because taunt jet uppers look incredible to pull off and you’re 1,000% right but I think it’s a lot of cart before the horse for new players. Same problem as learning KBD, I guess.

Yeah Bryan is the epitome of this talk, but it seeps into discussions about plenty of the cast. Bryan is a cool Roy Batty looking android with a somewhat defensive playstyle and hard counterhit moves. Even in the World Tour tourneys I've seen like 3 or so TJU's in over [how old is T7 now?]. It really isn't as big a part of the character as people make it out to be.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Nazzadan posted:

RE: Bryan's difficulty, taunt is usually pointed to as the reason for his perceived difficulty but as mentioned he is missing some pretty generic Tekken tools that just make him harder to play. If someone does something -14 awesome you are one of the few in the cast able to launch it but it is locked behind a motion input. If someone does something -15 you don't get to df2 or hopkick it, you have to do a motion input. You have a backsway so if you try to do the simpler qcb b qcb b shortcut to kbd you won't be able to. His primary low is locked behind a motion input, his new extremely powerful pseudo electric is locked behind a motion input, his launching mid you mix the low with is on a motion input, his most damaging ws launcher involves a sideswap, etc. I don't think any of these things are hard and in exchange for not having some pretty basic tools you have Bryan poo poo that more than makes up for it, but then you are learning Bryan poo poo and not generic Tekken tools.

Also RE: TJU, it lost one of it's main setups now that 3+4 doesn't knd on normal hit so you won't be seeing it as much anyways but taunt b4 is basically an essential tool and you can't watch a comp Bryan game without either seeing it land or seeing the threat of it keep an opp down at the wall.

Sorry for the Bryan wall of text I love this character more than pretty much anything gaming related at this point.

Yeah, so this is a Tekken thread, please let your nerd out without apologies.

I actually forgot about the motion input on his hatchet kick, which is actually a very fair point. He does still have his d3 or whatever the input was for is long range low poke? It's been a very long time since I dabbled with Bryan.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Nazzadan posted:

His d4 has very long range as a good non-committal low poke, d3 is a bit stubbier and has worse frames but in exchange on CH you get d3,2 for decent damage and in 8 if you hold 1+2 on the 2's hit he goes into his install state

Yeah d4 was what I was thinking about, though it is nice to know that d3 has a place as well, cheers. Motion inputs like qcb for something like a premiere low is always a bit tricky, if you've played other fighters before then it's no biggy, but if Tekken is your first fighting game then motion inputs do actually take time and practice to get right in a match. But with some good stuff like d4 there are at least alternatives.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Urethane posted:

could be they are using hitbox, those make electrics and perfect kbd very easy

This is not fully true. There is a leverless trick for electrics, but that one itself actually requires quite a bit of practice to do in an actual match, and it only works on one side unless you have specifically placed, extra movement buttons. It's nice for a video demo. The motion of a kbd is very easy on leverless, but it is actually pretty easy on any controller. Getting it tight and fast is the real story and that requires a lot of practice and training of the fingers (regardless of controller).

Autsj fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 2, 2024

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

So if I understand the heat system correctly, if I want to blow my resources in a max damage combo it basically goes:

Launcher of some form->Filler high damage moves->string that gives a T!->Activate Heat for the bound or whatever it's called->Heat Engager string + hold forward->Ender or rage art? If I'm using the ender, then ideally we get a wall splat and some damage on the wall as well

So for Lili a really basic example using the spreadsheet:

D/F+2 > D/F+2~B > BT3,4 > b1,4 T! > Dash up activate Heat > Something like 3,1~F > f,f+3~f+1,4

I really should probably sit down and go through the tutorial mode at some point..

I don't know Lili really so can't advice you there but the core idea is pretty much that. Mind that "bound" is just the old term for the Tornado state and since a heat burst doesn't use up the "Tornado state" calling it a "bound" is just a bit of unofficial shorthand that I used earlier this thread. I don't think the tutorial will teach you much more beyond this, you seem pretty much at the point to just experiment yourself and see how other people do it and compare/combine/copy.

Enthusiasm posted:

What should I be doing when I'm knocked down near a wall? It seems to be.. a very bad situation to be in and it feels like I get repeatedly knocked back down in the standing animation.

Speaking very generally: sideroll off of the ground, then step-guard out from your predicament (step, b, step, b, step, b). Or until you step/block an attack of your opponent that lets you jab pressure or punish your way out. Some throws can also be used at this point if they switch positions both on break and without.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 2, 2024

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Yeah I decided to actually look it up rather than just ask the thread shortly after, and it turns out you can do a heat dash, or a heat burst but apparently not both in a combo! So off a regular launch I imagine the best structure is probably: Launcher>Filler>Heat Burst/Dash>Tornado>Ender of your choice. I'll have to test it out when I've got a chance

No you can absolutely do both, however moves that would give you a full combo after a dash obviously won't anymore---they'll just give you one more hit at the end. So you're spending all your heat for an extra hit (technically the burst is also a hit but it is pretty marginal).

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

combo scaling after a heat dash is extreme so it usually only adds like 5 points of damage usually, unless it gets you to the wall it doesn't really seem like the best use of it

No, the scaling is explicitly reset back to 50% after a heat dash (though 100% of that is grey health). And with some moves like stomps you can get the grounded 80% scaling. It's quite doable to add 10-20 damage to your combo depending on your character and options.

Also, far as I can tell you cannot connect an RA after a heat dash during a combo. That makes a sense to me but there might be exceptions.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 2, 2024

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Spuckuk posted:

I cant reliably ewgf or kbd on stick despite using one for over a decade, and had both absolutely down easy after less than a half hour trying a hitbox

I'm eager to hear your tips and secrets: I can do both on stick no real problem but I switched over to a leverless when SF6 came out and despite 2 weeks of practice I can do neither good enough to rely on in an actual game.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Seltzer posted:

Also why did they take out the opportunity to continue rematching in casual...... Is it just a measure to force people to play the dumb avatar arcade mode? Kinda annoying

I completely forgot that thing existed, you can actually deathmatch there?

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Never Sleeps has been doing weeklies for fighting games for a while now, they started their T8 a few days ago. It's a fun watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y4FUw1pCDI
These aren't your sponsored/globetrotting A-listers, but it's a solid bunch. For the 2 or so Nina-curious in the thread: Victeemo (formerly Victim of Ritual) is in the tourney; he's a well known Nina monster and is showing off some stuff.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Char posted:

ok so why am I getting thrashed by all the hwoarangs and reinas I find at green ranks
it feels like they can keep attacking without risking anything

edit: as soon as I rant, I get two wins where I pretty much do the same as lili, but with opponents knocked down, doing snake edges and flips on their heads

Edit2: Paul intro where he's doing wheelies. drat

Nice Van My Man posted:

Oh poo poo more advice, I forgot about her ff punch that sends her into a spin that's + (it's got lightning and she kind of kneels, you'll know it). Her high kick comes out fast enough to beat your options, so you'd have to low poke that one if you wanted to consistently shut it down.

Sentai 3 trades with a jab after ff2f on block, which is in Reina's favour, but you can duck and launch it. Low poking vs Sentai is kinda meh since it gives up the chance to properly punish her and encourages her to use Sentai 4, a lowcrush that is probably her highest rewarding move from that stance. There is no one simple solution to Sentai, but the important thing to remember is that her options vs standblock are all high risk/low reward and even her mids are something you can afford to get hit by a few times. So just hold your poo poo, see what options they like and when, then punish them for it. Fighting Reina is all about getting a few good punishes in so her mix-up odds turn against her. She looks fancy, fighting against her isn't.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Artelier posted:

Is there a video guide to hitting electrics on leverless/hitbox? Maybe less the electric, more the dash part with the reset to neutral bit. I'm playing a Junkfood Arcade Micro XL with the "opposing directions = neutral" setting which I believe is the tournament or at least Evo standard right now, and I'm struggling to get the dash consistently.

I'm pretty sure this is a rhythm issue, so if there's a video out there explaining this maybe with like a hand camera or real legible clickclacks when the buttons are pressed that'd be great. While I have played Tekken casually in the past, I never put much time with a Mishima and even if I did, it was on a stick or pad. I've translated most of my movement from stick to leverless no issue but I'm struggling with this specific one (and consecutive ROM-style superjump airdashes in Marvel but that's a different issue)

Maybe there's a leverless-specific shortcut too? I tried doing hold forward for a brief second then piano back to forward, but this felt unreliable, at least the way I was doing it. But even doing it normally for me is unreliable so what do I know.

Also while I'm at it, if there's a similar video for Korean backdashing that would be good.

Any tips is appreciated, thanks!

For KBD you can use the socd method: hold back, tap down, tap forward, alternate these with a clean release while holding back. Start slow, practice with attention. Note that the motion can be pretty rough on untrained fingers. So practice in short bouts, slowly and with attention to avoid injury to your tendons.

I'm not sure what you mean with the dash, ewgf is just from a single forward tap; to dash ewgf you just double tap forward. Note that you cannot do a perfect ewgf if you dash. If you mean wavedashing, that is somewhat a separate skill that needs to be practiced separately. The motion is f,n,qcf and there are no good shortcuts for it (there's a speed trick, but I'd consider really only good for showing off.)

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Bored Grunt posted:

For those that have pulled off the EWGF grind, is it worth it? Coming up on 20 hours in the game and most of that has been on Reina. I'm at the point I can pull it off maybe 5 times in practice and then lose the rhythm for the next 20 attempts. Not sure I'll ever be able to use it reliably in multi.

I really like Reina, but getting discouraged and thinking I might be better off learning advanced combos on an easier (mechanic wise) character.

If you want to actually get good with Reina and play her against good players, you will need electrics. 100%. Right now you can kinda unga-bunga people with her stance mixups, but a month from now this won't work past the early ranks. You will need solid neutral fundamentals and the ewgf is an near essential tool for her there.

20 hours is nothing though and that does make me want to ask: how much do you intend to play? how much have you played of previous Tekken games? The ewgf is one of those things that takes some actual dedicated practice. Some people have better fine motor control than others, they might get them down reasonably in a 2-3 weeks of daily practice, others take months. And doing them in practice mode is quite a different thing that doing them in an actual game too. You need to be able to enjoy that sort of practice and dedication. If you want to just play some chill, casual Tekken, that is fine too, and you can even do that with Reina if you want. But ewgf is probably not a route you want to go down then.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 7, 2024

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Bored Grunt posted:

Most played was 7 but casual, played some of the previous games far less. I'd like to put some effort into 8 and see how far I can go but I'm leaning towards picking a character that isn't going to kill my hands after a few hours of play. I liked Reina because I could play very aggressive with her. Have any recommendations on a characters to try that might feel similar but without the wavedash/EWGF?

Dragonuv if you want aggression. Also not at all bad picks could be Victor, Azucena, Leo, and Leroy. Paul is never a bad pick. Possibilities that will eventually include some real practice but can go far before: Nina, Jin.

Since I haven't seen him dropped in the thread yet I'd like to add Rooflemongers character guide video in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEDLRTOjxcA He put in some real work to highlight what is cool about a character including some legacy info and bits beyond the typical content mill guides that go around. Might give you some ideas, and honestly I had fun watching it regardless.

I also don't want to fully discourage you from Reina, Tekken is best enjoyed with a character that you really like. But she is going require real work past a certain point.

Edit: Totally forgot to give Hwoarang a special mention. If you want to press a lot of buttons while switching between stances, that is Hwoarang. He murders newer players and half of the experienced players too because people rarely know exactly what he is going to do next. Problem is, that might also be true of the Hwoarang player themselves because getting his poo poo organised in your head is a bit of a project. He's not "hard" generally, but might not be the smoothest learning curve. But the potential flavour is there.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 7, 2024

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Artelier posted:

Thanks everyone for EWGF on leverless tips! In looking up the guides and testing the solutions, I accidentally found a not-so-viable-but-works thing for me, which only works on facing right.

Basically, for the df+2 part, the d is held by my left hand like usual, but f and 2 is using my right hand. Since it's the same hand, timing it together is easy. Bam, easy electric. But of course, that's only in practice mode, and only facing right. In the heat of a match, going out of my standard hand positioning will be trickier.

It's funny, most old school mishima players that play on stick have a strong preferace for 2p side, this is due to how the wavedash motion feels in the hand; often to the point of becoming absolute crap when playing on 1p side. Now with leverless there is tech that makes 1p mishima's that are useless on 2p side. Either way, the classic counter to mishima players is a 2+4 throw (or any of your throws that switches sides on either hit or break) just like before.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Phenotype posted:

How do I get a consistent EWGF on a PS5 controller? I spent a little time in practice last night and I only ever do it by accident, and very rarely at that. Couldn't even figure out how to practice getting better at it, cause it just never comes out.

And while I'm at it, is doing f, qcf, f, qcf the best way to practice wavedashing? That one seemed to work a little better than the EWGF at least.

f,qcf, f,qcf _is_ the wavedash; a wave dash consists of a f,n,d,df crouchdash input, followed by a dash cancel, followed by another crouchdash input--where you can use the last input of the dash as the start of the new crouchdash. Practice in slow motion, speed is bad for internalization.

You get a consistent EWGF by practicing daily, for a few weeks to a few months, in slow motion. Making sure that you pay full attention to the feeling of synchronizing your fingers, paying attention to the frame display to see how you need to correct your synchronization. Break the motion into pieces if you have to: d to df+2, then n, d,df+2, etc. A lot of people find it helpful to bind 2+3 to the left shoulder button and use that instead of their regular 2. Your mileage may vary here, I personally find it easier to just sync up my thumbs.

You always practice slowly, and with full attention, making sure you correct any mistakes attentively. Practice in short bouts, beyond 10 minutes has severe diminishing returns on the learning process and also risks fatigue and overburdening (even injury: if you experience any strain or discomfort during practice, stop immediately for the day). Make sure you sleep well (a big chunk of internalization is finalized during sleeping).

Edit: Don't forget to practice on both sides, splitting your practice time between them.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 8, 2024

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Why do they make "one of the hardest moves in all fighting games" a key mechanic for all of the title characters :(

It used to be a secret move: a better version of the regular wgf that you might see accidentally but only a few knew how to do for real. Of course, over the years most legacy players learned about it and how to do it, and you can't have a move that is just better, become semi-common, and not balance around it. This coincided with the trend in fighting games of designing characters that were balanced for "experts" and those that were more beginner friendly. A trend that has remained fairly popular over the years. And thus the current state of the EWGF.

Should be noted that though Jin benefits from his electric, he isn't quite balanced around it like the others, making him a bit of a in between character that can service both ends of the spectrum.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Artelier posted:

Leverless EWGF update: I've decided to abandon the use right hand to press right + 2 while facing right method because I wanted a uniform method that works on both sides without switching hand positioning that much.

After experimenting the best method I have personally is to think that I need to try and press 2 while pressing down instead of on down forward. I've gotten quite a few electrics, and I had small bursts where I did 2-4 of them in a row! I think this is probably the technique that'll work out for me in the long run. Only one session in so far but it's starting to "make sense" for me and I'm hoping that after sitting on it for a day or two I'll be more consistent. I'm feeling confident!

That said...

1 frame off is still more common aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

EDIT: Thinking about it a little...what if I went back to my initial method could make one of the face buttons left input and another right input..................................

EDIT EDIT: Wait hold on, am I tripping or does f, neutral, df+2 work? I feel like it works.

Couldn't figure out how to embed, but here's a clip that clearly shows f, df+2 in input history unless I'm misreading: https://imgur.com/a/P7kxAX8

Kazuya and Reina can do f,n,df+2 due to their mist-step/wind-step, Jin and DJ cannot. You might also find wavedashing and wavedash electrics more clumsy doing f,n,df,f but mileage may vary there.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Artelier posted:

Guess that means I'm not playing Jin, sorry main character. (I kid I'll try him out at some point)

That's why I started thinking of pressing 2 during the neutral or the down input (back when I was doing down inputs, a couple hours ago)

Possible correction: I've not tried this but thinking about it I suspect you cannot do a wavedash with the mist/wind step method; since those are triggered by steps and wavedashing is done with a dash cancel.

Nice Van My Man posted:

Seriously if EWGF was supposed to be hitting 2 1 frame after df I'd have it beat by now. Why is it always exactly one frame late? How is that possible?

A couple of reasons that could be either or contributing together: Fighting games in general make you perform a motion _before_ pressing the button and you've likely internalized this; contributing to this is that the brain will focus on whichever hand starts a movement/is doing the most complex task, leading to micro delays in activating the other. Finally it is very likely that you are tensing up your hands as you are practicing, especially when it isn't going your way and you are getting frustrated.

d+2~df is a pretty common trick indeed. If the issue persists you are likely doing the motion too fast for your fluidity/practice level and you should slow yourself down a bit so you can internalize better.

Edit: also, look at your hands while practicing, this can help you focus on the coordination and internalization.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 9, 2024

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

poe meater posted:

2+3 is just how you activate Heat for players without macros/binds. You're just going to have to be a little cleaner with your inputs. Sounds like maybe you're hitting your punch too fast?

Turn on input history and look at what you're pressing. I would try slowly doing the motion inputs and just practice getting regular WGFs to make sure you got the directional motion down.

Phenotype posted:

Okay, it was 2+3 I was supposed to put on the left shoulder, so I think I was doing that right. It was an amazing crutch, I was getting EWGF almost a third of the time (rather than my usual almost-never), but half the time I mess it up it counts as a Heat activation. Is there any way to make that button combination stop triggering Heat? There's already a dedicated Heat button on R1! Or a way to bind plain RP to both buttons?

What Poe Meater wrote is all correct though I can add a little to it:

2+3 actives heat only when pressed fully neutral, without other directions (the dedicated heat button operates on different logic). This means heat can come out on accident if you are 1 frame early in doing the Reina/Kazuya shortcut of f,n,df+2. The only way to avoid this by doing the traditional motion of f,n,d,df+, or by using the 2 button singularly. And as PM wrote: use the frame display to troubleshoot and correct yourself, and practice slowly and precisely to clean your inputs.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Char posted:

I think Lili is a character too hard to "parse" for me right now.
Movement is still something I'm struggling with - I'm not finding it easy to see when a sidestep is the right move.
On the other hand, I tried challenging my understanding of fundamental mechanics.
Again, sorry if I've been a bit antagonistic, but I was feeling like not knowing that you're supposed to put lands in a MTG deck.

I got some time 1 vs 1 with a friend who actually has a grasp of the game, I was proposed to to switch to Asuka so I'd be forced to stop trying fill every single moment of the game with a button, any button, have a lighter mental stack and try to play a more keepaway game.
At least I think I understood something, the "cadence" of Tekken is quite different from the 2d fgs I'm used to. I guess having something akin to a "drill", having to poke and try to frametrap forced me to understand better spacing, movement and the rhythm of trading initiative. I still try to rushdown too much but that's my main flaw in every FG so... well.

Things got better.
Sorry, thread!

So I skimmed a few of your previous posts, I don't know Lili too well so my advice is somewhat generic but maybe it'll help you.

Slower moves like Lili's df3 and many standing lows are the sort of moves you apply when you read your opponent's turn is over and they are planning to hold back to defend. Usually after a string of sorts that leaves them safe but heavily minus. You poke them with a low, that gives +frames on hit, or a sturdy mid that gives +frames on block. Then you attack with a nice quick mid that fits within the plusframes (like a df1), if they press and you hit, you continue having +frames and can fit another move in there. If they block you are at a small negative, and that is where you consider sidestepping.

Sidestepping in Tekken generally works best in the range of +4 to -4. At -5 in most situations a jab check will hit you out of a sidestep. Stepping during +frames is a more advanced consideration so we'll just drop that idea for now, as a beginner/intermediate you should probably just use them to attack.

We'll look at the typical -1 to -4 situation. Lili's df1 in the above example leaves you -1 on block I believe, which is perfect. To start with sidestepping you should practice stepguarding in situations like this. A stepguard is a sidestep that you cancel about halfway by tapping back to guard. This lets you sidestep linear moves (giving you a chance to whiff punish) and lets you guard in time to block slower tracking and homing moves. You can practice this pretty easily: set the dummy to first action: guard, second action: punish. On the punish list select a jab and a slower homing move. Tap the dummy with df1, then step enough to get by the jab and guard in time to block the homing move. Practice 10 clean stepguards up, 10 clean stepguards down, and again on 2p side. Once you got the rhythm, try a few other moves that leave you more minus. Also try a few other moves instead of the jab, notice how some might need to be stepped in specific direction. Spend a few days with this and then you can start practicing whiff punishes from your step.

Combining both the above ideas should set you on the way to a decent flow.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Seltzer posted:

For the people fixating on the hard stuff, just a reminder that Book, who was a top 20 tekken 7 player made TWT finals and won tournaments with Jin and never used Jins electrics.

This.

And also

This video is terrible content mill poo poo. Like I don't hate the core exercises he suggests, they're milquetoast but fine. But they require being comfortable with the ewgf itself already, and nobody who is will click on a video with that title and thumbnail. It's going to be beginners who get nothing but maybe the suggestion of just brute forcing it (which is terrible). Maybe bonus points that the guy at least cautions against overdoing it as he admits he permanently injured himself?

Edit: No meanness intended to CharlieFoxtrot, I get that you saw it pop up and just wanted to be helpful. I'm just miffed at the targeted audience vs the content issue.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 11, 2024

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

unattended spaghetti posted:

Oh I don't think they're good. They just help me get higher contrast and cut down on visual noise. I am probably an odd use case they didn't consider when they put those in, imho.

But nah, still suck rear end. I dunno goons. I can see the appeal of Tekken now, but I'm starting to think it just isn't for me. I get the concepts. I get what I should be doing, but try as I might I'm just not locking into it. It's too bad. I've had fun with it but I'm at the point where I'm more frustrated than inquisitive and that's the exact wrong mindset for fighting games, or anything you're trying to learn really.

If you're getting frustrated my first advice would honestly to find a buddy (or buddies) to play with, and chat with them while you play. There is a big difference between playing best of 3s against random online folk, getting hit with the 'bullshit stuff' of 32 characters in rapid succession, and sitting down for longer sets against a single person with only one or 2 characters--especially if you can chat about their 'bullshit' in between.

I don't know how active or what the level of the goon fgc discord is, but that might be a place to look if you don't already have someone.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
.0 Tekken is always a complete mess on balance, with overtuned moves, broken hitboxes, exploits, and silly setups. I think at least they've managed to avoid infinites since 5.0 but I could be wrong. The most egregious stuff you'd never see on the home release because they were tuned during the 1 or 2 years of arcade time before that. T8 is the first I think that didn't have an early arcade version (even 7 did still), so this is a full .0 Tekken and will have likely have plenty of messy poo poo.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 14, 2024

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Man, since I hit the yellow ranks I'm getting a whole ton more one and dones. I guess being able to lose points is probably to blame for that. Over halfway through yellows though :toot:

I fought a Victor for the first time, but when I didn't press buttons on him he sorta ran out of ideas and then just started to back up and try to tag me with an armored move on the way in. It didn't really work since I'd just go low to poke him out of it, but I should check to see if/how punishable it is :hmmyes:

If it was a knife to the face (not in stance) then it was high and safe, lows were a good idea; you can also use throws or duck and launch.

Simple rule for PCs: if high they are safe, if mid they are -12 to -14 (unless you trigger the armor before blocking, then they become safe). I'd recommend not worrying about it and lock in your i12 punish (unless it sucks). This is nice because it locks in a whole range of moves: hopkicks are pretty much always -13 (few people have an interesting i13 punish), and unsafe df2s (slightly over half of them) are generally -12. So that's 3 common move archetypes you can share a punish for to reduce your cognitive load.

i12 punishes are also the top tip for quick whiff punishes following a backdash or sidestep if you are playing conservatively. DF2s are the wow-combo button, but the extra speed on the i12 is way more consistent when reacting to quicker recovery moves. This does get highly dependent on the character of course, some i12s kinda suck and some characters have amazing alternatives.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Weasling Weasel posted:

I'm playing Asuka at the moment, and I'm only in Green rank with a 50%ish win rate, so take this with a pinch of salt, but...
I've struggled to do much with Asuka's jab other than use it to frame trap into B3. I don't know if its slower than others jabs, but I definitely am using it way too often to take me turn and getting blitzed when I'm pushing, but blocking forever just lets people chip me down and mix me up into lows. I should probably try and learn a combo or something, because not being able to punish anyone with anything when I do read well isn't a winning strategy, have to get too many guesses in a row right to win a round (or hit the lucky rage art, which also happens a lot at green rank).

Basically, what has worked well for me is B1, DB3 and DB4, F4, and F1+2 for the high and medium crush. I should deffo use the counter stance and D3+4 more. If I land 1, then the frame-trap into B3 works more often that not, but I don't often land the 1 at a distance it can hit from without getting hit back first.

Asuka's jab is one of the rare jabs that is not + on block, it is actually -2. It's a very significant weakness of the character and very much limits her up close quick offense startup.

Edit: for frametraps with Asuka, try f4, into standing 4, or ff1 into b4. Those are a bit slower and require a bit more space to set up but they they are solid. Beginner friendly combos with Asuka are pretty easy, she can pickup from most situations with db4,3 then 2,1,2 for the T! and then your finisher: maybe ff2,1+2; or ff2,3 if near a wall tot pop them onto it. (This is T7 stuff, so there is probably better but it seems to work fine still).

Autsj fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 16, 2024