Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Well here's hoping the reviews saying that this is a less impenetrable Tekken are true and not just hype. I have a history with the series going all the way back to the second one, but I only within the last ten years or so actually started learning and getting better at fighting games more generally. I tried 7 and just couldn't get on with it. The movement felt awful and the billion edge case scenarios really drove me nuts.

At this point I can't play a fighting game without trying to improve and be competitive. It is where I derive most of the fun from, personally. And I liked the demo. So I hope this one sticks because I really miss playing 3D fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

brainSnakes posted:

I do really wish there were more 3d fighters in general, as a relatively recent convert to genuinely loving those.

I think they're coming. Fighting games are hot once more, as it should be.

I hope that inspires bamco to resurrect calibur. Long odds on it being good though.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Thanks a bunch. Definitely checking those out.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
If I love guile because counter play is fun, who's good to try out? Long pokes, baiting mistakes, and being a wall for someone to overcome is kind of my style.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

L-O-N posted:

In Tekken 8, you can jump into the replay and try out different moves to see how to defend or punish. For both players.

https://www.oneesports.gg/tekken/tekken-8-replays-and-tips/

I’m a learn by doing kind of person when it comes to fighting games. SF6 is the first game I played with a training mode that actually made enough sense and was intuitive enough for me to lab specific things.

This replay takeover is precisely what made me finally decide to pull the trigger on T8. The turnaround from aw gently caress what the gently caress to ooooooooooh riiiiiiiight is going to be so much faster, and even if I don’t ultimately get on with Tekken’s sort of style, I can at least decide I don’t like it based on observable data and feel, rather than losing motivation because of being saddled with the whole bullshit process of setup, before even getting to test responses. It’s good poo poo.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Gonna live in practice mode for a while. It feels loving good to play.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
There's no unlocks or anything behind the story right? Like I can safely just ignore it?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
https://youtu.be/50NVzJsRljs?si=iMq6Kkc4cGcdzhvZ

This is a great, but extremely exhaustive and perhaps mildly overwhelming video. They go through all the Tekken specific stuff and cover niche heat system stuff and other things that are specific to 8. But it's also probably info overkill so take it with a grain of salt. But helped me, a noted Tekken idiot, start to understand the game better.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

I gotta say, regular scrub, non-kbd movement feels way better in 8 than ever

Gotta agree. Also something clicked and KBD makes sense to me now. As to whether I'll be any good at it, who knows?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I still can't decide who to play. It's gonna take me forever just to pick.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

spiritual bypass posted:

Pick whoever looks the coolest (Nina)

For real though she's on my list. It'll take me a while. I'm kinda ground floor on Tekken mechanics. Mashing as a child in the older games doesn't count lol.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Spuckuk posted:

PhiDX is a great watch in general. Really good match breakdowns

Agree completely. Also cares about video presentation and doesn't engage in obnoxious content creator behavior.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't have the mental fortitude to grind ranked and I'm a lab monster anyway so I give myself a hard out -- on my second match loss in a season, even if it's 0-2, I will stop, study my losses, and go into practice mode for a while and train something that I learned

He's into the YouTube thumbnail meta but that's probably unavoidable in 2024

Sometimes it can be nice to have a visual impairment hahah.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I think Victor is stupid. Doubt character prevalence really matters right now while the ranks sort themselves out. Early days and all that.

I'm spending too much time thinking about Tekken as opposed to playing it. Should probably remedy that.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I am incredibly bad at this game.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
So, my whole game plan right now, playing Law cause he seems aggro and ignorant, is to just let people do some unsafe poo poo and then punish with df2 into a pathetic combo. This is working far better than I expected, but I find it kinda difficult to know when to step stuff or with what timing. I also get clipped by lows constantly because I'm not used to relying on stand guard and ducking to catch them. I don't know what my point is I'm having a blast but dang it is gonna take me forever to get used to this.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Totally contrary to these positive developments, I'm about to learn to be totally ignorant and gorilla because tbh where I'm at, bottom of the heap, trying to be defensive in Tekken feels like a good way to get murdered when I inevitably fail to dash or side step or whatever lol.

Still looking for a main. Feng and Nina and Leroy are really fun to mess with. That b1 Feng has is ridiculous and seems like it would really annoy people.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 3, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

interrodactyl posted:

Here's some things I've found about beating people at lower ranks.

1. Do not play "fair". Abuse the stupid poo poo your character has. Tekken 8 rewards aggression heavily and until they prove they can beat your offense. JDCR said "don't play high level Tekken with yourself". Create a simple game plan for your offense and run it over and over until it stops working. Ironically, once your offense is structured and effective, it's easier to think about defense because you're not dedicating as much active thinking about offense.

2. Find a plus on block mid that's rewarding to hit them with. Dragunov fff2, Reina ff2~f, Victor ff1+2, etc.

3. Frame trap them after your plus mid until they show they can deal with it. Do you have a good CH launcher? Hit that button. Lower rank players love to mash.

4. Once they show they're respecting your plus mids, now you get to use movement, throws, and lows.

5. Always rematch and analyze your own play. The replay system in this game is incredible, and you will learn defense when you review situations that you get caught by and lab them out. Over enough time that will build good defensive habits with practice.

gently caress yes this is so helpful. I've been struggling to formulate anything resembling a game plan because of how weird it feels to play. This helps a ton. Thank you.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Finally really got out there and threw down. Went with Feng. It's gonna take a while for me to get used to the flow and learn what to do when, but counter hitting string happy people with his b1 is a ball. I love being this bad. So much to learn.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Victor: observe my ballet of steel and gunfire.

Feng: db3 counter hit.

If I never get any better than this, I'll be happy.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Seltzer posted:

Feng's df3 launcher seems way too safe at -7 for something you can turn into 62 dam. Gonna start throwing it out more

e-df3 range is super small but a b3 is +8 on block, so b3 into that would at worst trade if the opponent jabs. Gonna try that also.

I didn't realize b3 was plus. That's sick. Glad someone else is playing him. It's cool to exchange ideas. I really love the evasive poking style he's got. It's a natural extension of the kinds of characters I like in 2D games.

Did you play him in older games? Tbh I didn't even know who he was before 8.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Seltzer posted:

b3 is a HUGE tool for him this year and it covers a lot of ground too. I played him to an ok level in 7. In 7 I had characters I mained for a big period of time (Kazumi, Negan, Eddy) and then characters I got to know alright (Ling, Steve, Feng, Raven) and then characters I got to know enough to have fun with(Lee, lei, geese, bryan etc). I technically played him in older games a bit, but that was after learning him in 7. Xbox had tt2 and t6 free with gold so I'd use him Eddy and other legacy characters here and there when I wanted to mess around with those games for a t7 break.

A general tip I'd give anyone learning a new character, or refreshing a new character is- Pin the full movelist and use each move in a row to see what they have, then do the same but have the CPU set to opponent actions-standing, opponent actions after a hit or block- block all. This will let you see what strings are natural and which can be blocked and how negative they are. Then run through the list one last time with CPU set to block all to see how negative certain moves are and to see where your good plus frame moves are. It sounds like a lot of effort but its really not.

Also db3 is great but his d4 is also a good poke when you're in their face and his b4 is a very very good poke, it's a super fast mid that cant be punished. I like to use the d4 a lot then throw out the 1+2 extension when theyve been conditioned to just seeing the d4. B4 is a good round ender poke when theyre super low health and have rage. You can mix that with jabs to get that last bit of HP.

Thanks I'll keep this stuff in mind.

I get why people obsess about this series now. I feel like there's so much to any given character that player expression is genuinely possible. And it has been pretty easy to go from omg wtf am I doing to having a serviceable strategy. Even KBD isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm far from needing it yet, but I've been doing five or ten minutes of little drills to get like two or three in a row and I can't believe I thought it was some big pain in the rear end thing. Though, I picked Feng because I've always struggled with Tekken movement and he really helps with that, as well.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Is there a good rule of thumb for stuff that is jab punishable without looking at the numbers?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Lol so no then. Thanks.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Man that intro song sounds like it's straight out of a mid 2000s mx trials game, what a weird choice

Tekken the game is excellent.

Tekken the aesthetic is hot loving garbage.

I feel like they know though cause I'm wearing a traffic cone hat, a Hawaiian shirt, acid wash jeans and groucho glasses hahaha

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 8, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Many strings that end with mids are unsafe and can be at least jab punished (some can be launched.) They are usually paired with high string enders that are safe on block but instead can be ducked and launched.

Most power crushes (the smoky hits) are unsafe on block.

Most uppercuts (df2, the almost universal launcher) are at least -12 on block.

Many hits where the opponent jumps are at least jab punishable. Hopkicks which launch are definitely punishable. If it has a quick startup and is short range, it is more likely to be punishable on block, jumping attacks that have very long startups (and can thus be interrupted) tend to be safe if they do connect

There are definitely "rules of thumb" you get a feel for (even beyond the obvious stuff like "oh the opponent is literally recoiling back from doing a -22ob low lol") but there are always exceptions and every character has at least one move that looks like it should be unsafe or at least minus on block but is actually plus lol.

Getting a feel for the "move types" based on animation or how you see the opponent using them will allow you to make guesses, testing with jab punish is always a good idea if you're not dialed in. This doc helped me a lot with that:

Tekken 7: On Analyzing Moves and Strings

Edit: like if you do enough punishment trainings with the various characters, you'll see patterns. shoulder attacks tend to be more punishable for example

Hell yeah this is what I was after. There's clearly conventions, even though it might not seem like it at first look. Calibur was kinda like that too. And when I see slow start-up I tend to think more punishable, rather than less. Obviously there's no replacement for just checking the frames but I only do that when I'm brick walled since I prefer just screwing around and getting a feel. Thanks for the info.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Speaking of scrubby bullshit, you wanna know how to tilt someone? A neutral df1 looped until they either step it, duck it, or jab it. I've always been the scrub in Tekken, still am in fact, but my God it feels good to be on the other side of the knowledge check.

All I'm trying to learn right now is when to press and when to wait. There's so many God drat strings I swear. Getting it but it is quite the process. I'm not even launching rn. Combos aren't hard per se, but learning the movement and punishment seems a better use of my time right now.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 8, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Pockyless posted:

df1 is a mid for most characters, you cant duck it

Lol even better. I really wish they'd have actually done something of substance with the accessibility options in this. My eyes are bad enough that I can only really learn heights by trial and error. SF6 has an option to play a sound corresponding to height and I miss it. I have eaten a lot of low launchers, let me tell ya.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Little salt incoming feel free to skip.

Jesus loving gently caress this is the most obnoxiously swingy stupid rear end bullshit game I’ve ever played in my whole god drat life.

One minute, I’m steady as she goes, not really winning as much as I want and that’s okay because I’m getting my Tekken sealegs etc etc but you know, punishing, hanging in, not really caring about the match as a whole cause that’s how it goes sometimes. And if the match feels informative or valuable or hell even sorta close I’m good with it.

Then next thing you know I’m getting launched by something I didn’t notice, pancaked, trying to get up—yeah i know the getup options but I feel like I’m missing something here fwiw—and backed all the loving way to the wall, whereupon I side roll, regain some space, eat the same bullshit, or press into a string I didn’t know—yeah yeah—only to get smoked once more.

And the loving players are unreal rude as hell. I guess the expressiveness of Tekken lends itself to people stunting in creative ways, which would be funny, but holy balls the unusual varieties of spam this game generates… phew. Like come the gently caress on.

I got a long way to go, and I feel like I’m picking up the basics all right, but if I hadn’t played a whack of other fighting games already I’d probably have tilted and quit for all the weird poo poo you can come up against in this.

And most frustrating is that I think the responses to so much of this are kinda bespoke to whichever string, whichever situation, whichever rear end stomping in specific I’m dealing with, which is great for variety, not so good for my patience.

Anyhoo, I know the drill it’ll take time I’m gonna suck rear end for a while so on and so forth, but god drat I just needed to vent.

I’m not the kind of person to get pissy about losing, genuinely. Not that I expect internet people to believe that but it’s true. This specific game, with its specific variety of nonsense, just seems to tweak me in the exact right way.

Just gotta learn. Not much else to it.

E: To add one positive thing, the controllable replays and the highlighted punish opportunities are incredible and very helpful.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 9, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Sinatrapod posted:

Yeah, while in every fighting game there is some vague sense of hope for a comeback, in Tekken it always seems like you've really got a shot as long as you've got 1 HP left.

Until you hit the wall.

The wall is where hope ends.

I usually play characters with good defense, big pokes, and a more control oriented style of play in 2D games. As I improved at those I had to break myself of the bad habit of gaining space at the expense of nearly, sometimes totally cornering myself. But the instinct to gain space is really strong even if I mostly broke the habits in those games. What that means in practice is I do the same thing in Tekken and it is absolutely getting me killed lol.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Yeah like I said above, just salt and Tekken newbie growing pains. It's all good. Haha. I think I was just tired and hungry and annoyed because while I don't claim to be a great fighting game player by any stretch, Tekken feels like a whole new style of incompetence.

Picked up this afternoon and doing a hell of a lot better than yesterday. Sleep and bitching are magic.

Also on the df1 thing, if I apply that knowledge check on a player that's inclined towards tossing out all kinds of unsafe poo poo without once jabbing and they figure it out, I will actually without any irony congratulate them aloud. It's one of those things. Heh

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 9, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

if they're tossing out unsafe poo poo, you need to learn to punish the unsafe poo poo!

Rome wasn't built in a day these things take time.

To be less flip about it, my visual impairment kinda forces me to take a lot longer learning what's punishable because I have a limited ability to see the move. That's amplified by Tekken being Tekken, where lots of strings have varying extensions and where many moves look similar. It takes me a while in 2D games too, but they have comparatively smaller move lists.

Also the frame data is practically useless to me. I can read it but the font is so loving small.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 9, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I've found that if you want a counter hit you kinda need to set it up. Like Feng has a quick low that launches on counter, but short of interrupting a very slow move from far out with your toe you're probably not getting it from reaction. Instead, I press with jabs in varying timings and make sure to toss in some that are mid. Once they're tied up with that, wait a beat then stick out the low preemptively. Worst case they block it but best case they eat a big fat counter launch with combo. Better players can tell me if this is good advice or not but the pace of animations and the way exchanges seen to go I think I'm on the right track.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Ah, that's a pain. After SF6 came out with a ton of awesome accessibility stuff I was annoyed to open the menu in T8 and find like one colorblindness setting. I think the best thing for now is probably to learn your character's 10 frame punish and listen for the "shink" sound of you blocking something. If the move is punishable at all, you'll be able to use your 10 frame. From there, you can look up frame data via guides online which are currently being written.

Well my eyesight isn't quite so bad as to rely totally on sound, but that is how I do it in most fighting games anyhow since the jab is the smallest unit of measurement in terms of frames.

And yeah the accessibility is poo poo. The only interesting thing is that the color options are fairly detailed and you can do some interesting things with overlays. But there's no audio support at all. It's a God drat shame especially after how good SF was but accessibility in general is a developing field as games go and I figure it'll take time for options like that to filter down.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
God drat I got pasted so bad yesterday. But on the up side I got to play some people who slowed down on whipping my rear end long enough for me to learn why they were killing me, or at least kinda.

I've run into something of a pattern. I can win a couple rounds, but it always seems to be the final where I choke. I'm sorta starting to get the variety of punches and developing a game plan around those. Been abusing the hell out of plus frames wherever I can and trying to figure out a plan based on watching them respond to a plus move. Been ducking bits of strings here and there but I am nowhere near able to do it on command. I really need to get a good feel for deceptive step because if I'm on point with it I can really screw with people, but best result obviously wants a back step right with them sticking something out there and the timing is hard for that. Also, I need to start using a non optimal combo to capitalize because I get plenty of counter hits thanks to all the evasive moves Feng has. Been more worried about learning to create those opportunities rather than capitalizing on them.

I'm seriously not kidding when I say this might be the hardest game I've ever played but when you get into one of those nail biter matches where both players are acting with intent there really is nothing like it.

It is very hard to experiment with movement in this game. A step to the wrong side or poorly timed movement of any sort can get you killed so quick. But I really want to get at least a few good habits down for back dash and side step etc so I can start moving with intent.

Also I am very bad at spacing. So much to work on.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 10, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Seltzer posted:

A lot of people have very readable gameplans (or flowcharts) and that might be your case if its happening in the last round a lot. People catch on to it and will "download" you. Things like they get up the same way every time, they throw this move after this move every time etc. I don't spam throws but when I realize someone cannot break throws at all, I'll use more. things like that.

You are totally right. It’s gone the other way, too, where I have some seldom-used stuff that I don’t lean on because it’s unsafe or awkward or whatever, but I’ll occasionally just yolo for the fences and sweep someone with all the niche/unused/as yet unseen moves in a single round and it really throws people off. That’s the up side to the giant move lists when you’re on offense.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

CH launchers are one of the things I think it helps to lab out the most because you have to react to them, and it's really bad if you've committed to a combo route when the opponent isn't actually airborne, or even worse actually plus because of block/whiffing lol. Counter hits have a very distinctive sound cue so I react to that.

Also quite a few CH hits are instant Tornado so you need a different route for those to get the most damage out of them.

How do you mean? What am I looking for there? There are some situations where I feel like I can get it reliably—the db3 I mentioned above—and some where I really can’t guarantee it—df1 or the second hit of Feng’s 1 string which hits mid though it is not a launcher I don’t know what state that is but they’re definitely open after it—so I’m wondering what it is I’m looking for. Do you mean just like setting the counter hit to random and practicing followups kinda like hit confirming?

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 10, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Can confirm frame traps are great. People just plain don't know how plus you are.

I don't throw enough and suck at breaking them. Should work on those too.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Urethane posted:

you might already know this but backdashes are very very safe in this game because you count as stand blocking continuously through the dash rather than in a vulnerable state like street fighter. autoblock also means that even while the stick is at neutral during the double tap you are still stand blocking

I don't know what rank you are at but for a while you can just backdash twice in a row and people will stand in front of you whiffing extremely slow moves, letting you punish with whatever you want

so don't be afraid to just backdash a lot and see if the opponent hangs themself for you

Warrior. And yeah I've been treating it like SF by force of habit even though I know better. Once I do have space, I'm fairly solid at doing what you're saying and poking their toes or using the very edge of my range to make them have a bad time. Also, I can KBD but not to the level of using it in place of the normal back dash because I'm just not comfortable enough for it to be fast or smooth. So I'll try to rely on the normal back dash more. All movement being cancelable into all other movement is something I'm taking a while to get used to.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

You really do not have to KBD in this game. It's helpful in some situations but the normal dash is so fast that it isn't a ton faster anymore.

I just wanted to learn it as a personal thing. It feels good to execute sometimes. And I’ve always been intimidated by Tekken so it’s kind of my way to prove it to myself that I can develop certain things. So pride, mostly haha.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Nice Van My Man posted:

I just like some good ol' fashioned nice martial arts choreography and mocap. Personally the characters who just kind of zoom around the screen and teleport or whatever kind of bore me because you can get that in any game. Nice choreography is way more impressive to me.

Total agree. I miss vf a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
So funny story. I am a lot better at Tekken if I use the color filters. Unfortunately they make the game look like pure poopy. Kinda sucks but I'll be out of yellow ranks in no time now. Jeez. Gonna have to take a screenshot so y'all can see what I mean it is horrifying.