Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

unattended spaghetti posted:

Also on the df1 thing, if I apply that knowledge check on a player that's inclined towards tossing out all kinds of unsafe poo poo without once jabbing and they figure it out, I will actually without any irony congratulate them aloud. It's one of those things. Heh

if they're tossing out unsafe poo poo, you need to learn to punish the unsafe poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

if they're tossing out unsafe poo poo, you need to learn to punish the unsafe poo poo!

Rome wasn't built in a day these things take time.

To be less flip about it, my visual impairment kinda forces me to take a lot longer learning what's punishable because I have a limited ability to see the move. That's amplified by Tekken being Tekken, where lots of strings have varying extensions and where many moves look similar. It takes me a while in 2D games too, but they have comparatively smaller move lists.

Also the frame data is practically useless to me. I can read it but the font is so loving small.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 9, 2024

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

To be less flip about it, my visual impairment kinda forces me to take a lot longer learning what's punishable because I have a limited ability to see the move. That's amplified by Tekken being Tekken, where lots of strings have varying extensions and where many moves look similar. It takes me a while in 2D games too, but they have comparatively smaller move lists.

Ah, that's a pain. After SF6 came out with a ton of awesome accessibility stuff I was annoyed to open the menu in T8 and find like one colorblindness setting. I think the best thing for now is probably to learn your character's 10 frame punish and listen for the "shink" sound of you blocking something. If the move is punishable at all, you'll be able to use your 10 frame. From there, you can look up frame data via guides online which are currently being written.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
A week after I started playing: I'm used to not exactly knowing what I should be working on in fgs, but in Tekken the learning process is completely different. I haven't metabolized much.
It feels like every character is incredibly slow, moves don't flow into each other and there's no intuitive trick to know which button makes sense to push during neutral.
Except Lili, somehow her moves seems to flow much better than anyone else's :confused: others, like Leroy, feel very sluggish.

edit: also, the weird thing is that I should learn some kind of juggle combo to capitalize on counterhits, but it's incredibly hard to intentionally connect a counterhit. So I'm pretty much never able to practice juggle combos in real matches

I guess it's a matter of intuitiveness of the genre + the intuitiveness of this specific game, but having a list of "notable moves" feels completely useless because I cannot intuitively get when I should use them, keepaway buttons are often too slow to start and fast buttons seem to not usable to set up anything meaningful.

Char fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 10, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I've found that if you want a counter hit you kinda need to set it up. Like Feng has a quick low that launches on counter, but short of interrupting a very slow move from far out with your toe you're probably not getting it from reaction. Instead, I press with jabs in varying timings and make sure to toss in some that are mid. Once they're tied up with that, wait a beat then stick out the low preemptively. Worst case they block it but best case they eat a big fat counter launch with combo. Better players can tell me if this is good advice or not but the pace of animations and the way exchanges seen to go I think I'm on the right track.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Ah, that's a pain. After SF6 came out with a ton of awesome accessibility stuff I was annoyed to open the menu in T8 and find like one colorblindness setting. I think the best thing for now is probably to learn your character's 10 frame punish and listen for the "shink" sound of you blocking something. If the move is punishable at all, you'll be able to use your 10 frame. From there, you can look up frame data via guides online which are currently being written.

Well my eyesight isn't quite so bad as to rely totally on sound, but that is how I do it in most fighting games anyhow since the jab is the smallest unit of measurement in terms of frames.

And yeah the accessibility is poo poo. The only interesting thing is that the color options are fairly detailed and you can do some interesting things with overlays. But there's no audio support at all. It's a God drat shame especially after how good SF was but accessibility in general is a developing field as games go and I figure it'll take time for options like that to filter down.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Char posted:

A week after I started playing: I'm used to not exactly knowing what I should be working on in fgs, but in Tekken the learning process is completely different. I haven't metabolized much.

Maybe this isnt the most comforting advice but Tekken is tekken and kinda has its own rules and logic. When I started playing fgs a few years back it wasnt too hard to transfer skills from Garou to Samsho to SF6 etc but only some of that logic and skill transfers to tekken. The good news is that once you start getting tekken it has a very coherent and logical system and youll soon enough find yourself adjusting combos on the fly given range and wall distance etc, and having a feel when to pressure or when to wait. Its imo harder to learn but more consistent and fair when you do.

e- also its still early days. When I started it took me at least a month ish to get used to the rhythms of the game and about 3 months to get all the basic concepts down and more timeto get to the point where I got a level of mastery over a main. Its a process. The good thing is tekken rules. I started a year in so ranked was more fair, its just a log jam rn. I only started ranked with feng 2 days ago and am in mid yellows now but theres probably a lot of people like me taking their time to dip their feet in ranked and trialing different characters. In fact I know there are because I ran into a lot of good players on the way up lol.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 10, 2024

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

This sums up the beginner experience pretty well lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vT-QalDRME

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Seltzer posted:

Maybe this isnt the most comforting advice but Tekken is tekken and kinda has its own rules and logic. When I started playing fgs a few years back it wasnt too hard to transfer skills from Garou to Samsho to SF6 etc but only some of that logic and skill transfers to tekken. The good news is that once you start getting tekken it has a very coherent and logical system and youll soon enough find yourself adjusting combos on the fly given range and wall distance etc, and having a feel when to pressure or when to wait. Its imo harder to learn but more consistent and fair when you do.

e- also its still early days. When I started it took me at least a month ish to get used to the rhythms of the game and about 3 months to get all the basic concepts down and more timeto get to the point where I got a level of mastery over a main. Its a process. The good thing is tekken rules. I started a year in so ranked was more fair, its just a log jam rn. I only started ranked with feng 2 days ago and am in mid yellows now but theres probably a lot of people like me taking their time to dip their feet in ranked and trialing different characters.

I can respect the fact Tekken operates under a different logic, but I'd like to understand, for instance, when and/or why I should be using Lili's df+3, which seems to be one of her best moves, as I usually get stuffed when I attempt using it.

I mean, a google doc document with a collection of generic information is still way beyond my understanding. And playing at my green rank level against similar skill opponents means alternating 1,1,2 one against the other without hitting consistently nor building anything off these strings. The third time my string gets blocked I'll hit with a low kick that resets us both into neutral.

I'm finding it hard to develop any intent, and I don't know how someone could start developing any kind of intent. That's the issue I'm having.
Well I could be trying to alternate hitting 1 and d+3 but that doesn't feel "playing"...

Char fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 10, 2024

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Char posted:

I can respect the fact Tekken operates under a different logic, but I'd like to understand, for instance, when and/or why I should be using Lili's df+3, which seems to be one of her best moves, as I usually get stuffed when I attempt using it.

I mean, a google doc document with a collection of generic information is still way beyond my understanding. And playing at my green rank level against similar skill opponents means alternating 1,1,2 one against the other without hitting consistently nor building anything off these strings.

I'm finding it hard to develop any intent, and I don't know where someone should start developing any kind of intent. That's the issue I'm having.

Check the frames and properties in practice mode. So I just tried that move right now and it's good because it covers a lot of distance, is a mid, is plus on block, and counter hits for a mini combo. But its got a long start up (20). Meaning don't use that when you're close to people. Its a get in tool to apply pressure and if youre lucky you'll counterhit them in the process for a lot of damage. Throw it out in practice and see the edge of its range and keep that in mind mentally as a distance from where you want to throw it. If you use that up close you'll get blown up by 80% of the moves in tekken since 20 is quite slow.

When I started learning tekken from scratch one of the best things i did was buy a cheap white board, go through every move in the move list of the character i wanted to pick up and mark down all the moves I though were good/fit how i like to play (can consult online guides too) and put a note as to why next to each one (armor, keep out, plus frame etc). It helps a lot to remember and you can look at it mid match to get things down faster.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Char posted:

Well that particular question isn't a matter of tekken logic, it's a question of frame advantage which is a fundamental thing in all fighting games. Her df3 has a 20 frame startup, so any move faster than that (i.e. most moves in the game) will stuff it. It's not a thing you can just throw out from neutral, you have to set it up.

e:f,b

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
The running joke was that by starting Tekken now, you'll be ready for the next game in the future.

I'm curious how those player stats work, I have Block Up and Goal Orientated which I haven't seen anyone else with lol.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I noticed it has an unusually slow startup: reading "this move is important and one of her best", given this frame data and properties, feels contradictory. At the level of play I'm at I cannot picture in my mind how such a slow move could connect, let alone CH: at the level I'm at I can trade 1,2s with low kicks and that's it. I'm getting I have to ignore these cheat sheets because I'm unable to draw meaningful information.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding stubbornly antagonistic, it's the feeling that the outer shell of this game is impenetrable and the lack of documentation helping me deconstruct what I should be working on that's making me rant.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Char posted:

I noticed it has an unusually slow startup: reading "this move is important and one of her best", given this frame data and properties, feels contradictory.

How did you find out the move was important? What is the move for? How does it work into her gameplan?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Hey, what was the advice about putting a certain button combination on the left bumper for EWGF? I was trying it out tonight with I think RP+LK, and it was way easier to pull off for sure, but if I hosed up then sometimes I'd get a naked RP+LK that triggers Heat activation. Is there some way to make that stop happening?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I'm looking to play this with some friends but have little interest in learning or practicing. I am a button masher at heart and have been since the days of Tekken Tag Tournament. That said I'm not just mashing mindlessly, I'll block, sidestep, throw, etc. I'm curious if there are any characters that lend themselves better to this attitude/approach or conversely if there are characters to avoid. I would think characters with unique mechanics that you need to leverage, like Steve, or that are stance-heavy would be a poor fit. So far I've just been slamming random, I don't have enough games played to make any concrete findings but have had some luck with Jun, Lars, and Azucena so far for whatever reason.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Levin posted:

I'm looking to play this with some friends but have little interest in learning or practicing. I am a button masher at heart and have been since the days of Tekken Tag Tournament. That said I'm not just mashing mindlessly, I'll block, sidestep, throw, etc. I'm curious if there are any characters that lend themselves better to this attitude/approach or conversely if there are characters to avoid. I would think characters with unique mechanics that you need to leverage, like Steve, or that are stance-heavy would be a poor fit. So far I've just been slamming random, I don't have enough games played to make any concrete findings but have had some luck with Jun, Lars, and Azucena so far for whatever reason.

Have you tried Victor

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

How did you find out the move was important? What is the move for? How does it work into her gameplan?

Reading
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CG-ZUE6EqqQk7QSfc1feddeS8411f8t38EMFQ1Le9Cc/edit
and
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTsgbCJNSTKajMNlJvQleJOl0eTiEcV-PbeU0obDg1lsSqmz0lTtcD2k6NzfTPt7Db9Ua2dz1o_34Sv/pubhtml
and trying to corroborate through other means like reddit and videos, but I haven't had the time to watch enough material to filter everything.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think the answer might be that you just need to play more of the game so you become familiar with that kind of stuff. or at least that was the answer for me because looking at a guide or watching someone else play was way too abstract. what do you mean i can whiff punish from way downtown with f2? i just keep getting hit out of it [20 hours of flailing like a moron later] oh i see

Levin posted:

i think any of those characters would be good but azucena seems like a perfect fit. jun is extremely fun to play and also pretty straight-forward but she's got a little bit of weird stance stuff. lars idk except he's got annoying lows.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Okay read the sentence directly after the one about DF3.

quote:

Lili also excels in big + frame pressure with moves like df3, which is a mid + on block CH launcher and qcf3+4 which is a hugely + on block high. Lili’s whole gameplan is generally to make the opponent afraid to attack her because of her step and evasiveness, she then uses this hesitation to apply pressures and mindgames.

Lili's strength is her movement. DF3 is slow so you can't just throw it out in neutral, the idea is to step away from the opponent and hit them with it at range hoping for a counterhit. If you're having trouble with that part, get in practice mode until you're comfortable just stepping and evading, then once you're ready start throwing out the DF3 and see what sticks.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 10, 2024

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Autsj posted:

You get a consistent EWGF by practicing daily, for a few weeks to a few months, in slow motion. Making sure that you pay full attention to the feeling of synchronizing your fingers, paying attention to the frame display to see how you need to correct your synchronization. Break the motion into pieces if you have to: d to df+2, then n, d,df+2, etc. A lot of people find it helpful to bind 2+3 to the left shoulder button and use that instead of their regular 2. Your mileage may vary here, I personally find it easier to just sync up my thumbs.

Okay, it was 2+3 I was supposed to put on the left shoulder, so I think I was doing that right. It was an amazing crutch, I was getting EWGF almost a third of the time (rather than my usual almost-never), but half the time I mess it up it counts as a Heat activation. Is there any way to make that button combination stop triggering Heat? There's already a dedicated Heat button on R1! Or a way to bind plain RP to both buttons?

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Okay, it was 2+3 I was supposed to put on the left shoulder, so I think I was doing that right. It was an amazing crutch, I was getting EWGF almost a third of the time (rather than my usual almost-never), but half the time I mess it up it counts as a Heat activation. Is there any way to make that button combination stop triggering Heat? There's already a dedicated Heat button on R1! Or a way to bind plain RP to both buttons?

2+3 is just how you activate Heat for players without macros/binds. You're just going to have to be a little cleaner with your inputs. Sounds like maybe you're hitting your punch too fast?

Turn on input history and look at what you're pressing. I would try slowly doing the motion inputs and just practice getting regular WGFs to make sure you got the directional motion down.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
God drat I got pasted so bad yesterday. But on the up side I got to play some people who slowed down on whipping my rear end long enough for me to learn why they were killing me, or at least kinda.

I've run into something of a pattern. I can win a couple rounds, but it always seems to be the final where I choke. I'm sorta starting to get the variety of punches and developing a game plan around those. Been abusing the hell out of plus frames wherever I can and trying to figure out a plan based on watching them respond to a plus move. Been ducking bits of strings here and there but I am nowhere near able to do it on command. I really need to get a good feel for deceptive step because if I'm on point with it I can really screw with people, but best result obviously wants a back step right with them sticking something out there and the timing is hard for that. Also, I need to start using a non optimal combo to capitalize because I get plenty of counter hits thanks to all the evasive moves Feng has. Been more worried about learning to create those opportunities rather than capitalizing on them.

I'm seriously not kidding when I say this might be the hardest game I've ever played but when you get into one of those nail biter matches where both players are acting with intent there really is nothing like it.

It is very hard to experiment with movement in this game. A step to the wrong side or poorly timed movement of any sort can get you killed so quick. But I really want to get at least a few good habits down for back dash and side step etc so I can start moving with intent.

Also I am very bad at spacing. So much to work on.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 10, 2024

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I've run into something of a pattern. I can win a couple rounds, but it always seems to be the final where I choke.

A lot of people have very readable gameplans (or flowcharts) and that might be your case if its happening in the last round a lot. People catch on to it and will "download" you. Things like they get up the same way every time, they throw this move after this move every time etc. I don't spam throws but when I realize someone cannot break throws at all, I'll use more. things like that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also, I need to start using a non optimal combo to capitalize because I get plenty of counter hits thanks to all the evasive moves Feng has. Been more worried about learning to create those opportunities rather than capitalizing on them.

CH launchers are one of the things I think it helps to lab out the most because you have to react to them, and it's really bad if you've committed to a combo route when the opponent isn't actually airborne, or even worse actually plus because of block/whiffing lol. Counter hits have a very distinctive sound cue so I react to that.

Also quite a few CH hits are instant Tornado so you need a different route for those to get the most damage out of them.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Seltzer posted:

A lot of people have very readable gameplans (or flowcharts) and that might be your case if its happening in the last round a lot. People catch on to it and will "download" you. Things like they get up the same way every time, they throw this move after this move every time etc. I don't spam throws but when I realize someone cannot break throws at all, I'll use more. things like that.

You are totally right. It’s gone the other way, too, where I have some seldom-used stuff that I don’t lean on because it’s unsafe or awkward or whatever, but I’ll occasionally just yolo for the fences and sweep someone with all the niche/unused/as yet unseen moves in a single round and it really throws people off. That’s the up side to the giant move lists when you’re on offense.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

CH launchers are one of the things I think it helps to lab out the most because you have to react to them, and it's really bad if you've committed to a combo route when the opponent isn't actually airborne, or even worse actually plus because of block/whiffing lol. Counter hits have a very distinctive sound cue so I react to that.

Also quite a few CH hits are instant Tornado so you need a different route for those to get the most damage out of them.

How do you mean? What am I looking for there? There are some situations where I feel like I can get it reliably—the db3 I mentioned above—and some where I really can’t guarantee it—df1 or the second hit of Feng’s 1 string which hits mid though it is not a launcher I don’t know what state that is but they’re definitely open after it—so I’m wondering what it is I’m looking for. Do you mean just like setting the counter hit to random and practicing followups kinda like hit confirming?

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 10, 2024

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Have you tried Victor

I had not, literally just been hitting random. It would make more sense for me to systematically go through the characters as the gods have chosen that I only land on the same handful so far. He seems fun and I can see why one would suggest them to a button masher. This might not make sense but he's almost too fast though?

Foul Fowl posted:

i think any of those characters would be good but azucena seems like a perfect fit. jun is extremely fun to play and also pretty straight-forward but she's got a little bit of weird stance stuff. lars idk except he's got annoying lows.

I started picking Azucena and am having fun so far. I know she has a stance or something that allows her to dodge or counter highs and lows which seems like a simple but fun mechanic to master. I like Jun as she's got some Asuka stuff I used to enjoy in earlier games but I'm not sure about the counter stance, I wonder if it'll be a trap for me. No idea with Lars, honestly hated the guy when he was introduced to the series and it could just be dumb luck but did surprisingly well against my friend with them.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

How do you mean? What am I looking for there? There are some situations where I feel like I can get it reliably—the db3 I mentioned above—and some where I really can’t guarantee it—df1 or the second hit of Feng’s 1 string which hits mid though it is not a launcher I don’t know what state that is but they’re definitely open after it—so I’m wondering what it is I’m looking for. Do you mean just like setting the counter hit to random and practicing followups kinda like hit confirming?
Yes, do that. Counter hits in Tekken are intuitive a lot of the time, you just need to build match experience to get a feel for what follows up when on who and how you can safely confirm a CH by getting a sense of the match and how a character looks when they’ve been tagged with one. I like it as a system a lot more than Street Fighter throwing up a big sign that confirms you got one.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

poe meater posted:

2+3 is just how you activate Heat for players without macros/binds. You're just going to have to be a little cleaner with your inputs. Sounds like maybe you're hitting your punch too fast?

Turn on input history and look at what you're pressing. I would try slowly doing the motion inputs and just practice getting regular WGFs to make sure you got the directional motion down.

Phenotype posted:

What Poe Meater wrote is all correct though I can add a little to it:

2+3 actives heat only when pressed fully neutral, without other directions (the dedicated heat button operates on different logic). This means heat can come out on accident if you are 1 frame early in doing the Reina/Kazuya shortcut of f,n,df+2. The only way to avoid this by doing the traditional motion of f,n,d,df+, or by using the 2 button singularly. And as PM wrote: use the frame display to troubleshoot and correct yourself, and practice slowly and precisely to clean your inputs.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I also like this advice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1khN1yptBig&t=1s
throws are OP in low ranks and you'll get in some throw practice while you're at it. There's a ton of stuff that's overpowered at low ranks that sucks at high ranks, but the only reason high ranks block every snake edge and tech every throw is because they've seen a million of them. I think a lot of people forget the advice of just how good throws are and don't throw because they're scared it will remind their opponent to throw.

I fought a Leo who was trying to fight honorably or something because they never used a low or a grab, and it was just like what are you even doing? Once I know that, you're absolutely getting blown up.

Also this advice about how knowing a single frame trap will take you pretty far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFUn4QPWRpM

People shouldn't be afraid to use some cheap rear end Tekken, it's the only way anyone learns.

Nice Van My Man fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 10, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Can confirm frame traps are great. People just plain don't know how plus you are.

I don't throw enough and suck at breaking them. Should work on those too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah exactly. Some counter hit launches/guaranteed follow-ups are on buttons that you wouldn't usually press except if you're explicitly fishing for a counter hit after getting plus frames -- for example Azucena has one on 1+2. It is an i15 high and there are better mid options in neutral, but it evades highs and CH launches so it's designed to call people out. Since I'm only pressing it when I expect to launch I am not really reacting to the CH, I'm usually reacting to when it doesn't actually launch.

On the other hand, Azucena's ws1 is a button I press a lot any time I'm crouching because it's a fast safe way to exit the crouching state. Since CH launching is a side effect of a button I'm pressing anyway, I have to train myself a bit to recognize that they just got launched. This is also because it's a crumple stun so visually it's a bit less obvious compared to when someone gets knocked 10 feet in the air and obviously you can combo them lol

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

It is very hard to experiment with movement in this game. A step to the wrong side or poorly timed movement of any sort can get you killed so quick. But I really want to get at least a few good habits down for back dash and side step etc so I can start moving with intent.

you might already know this but backdashes are very very safe in this game because you count as stand blocking continuously through the dash rather than in a vulnerable state like street fighter. autoblock also means that even while the stick is at neutral during the double tap you are still stand blocking

I don't know what rank you are at but for a while you can just backdash twice in a row and people will stand in front of you whiffing extremely slow moves, letting you punish with whatever you want

so don't be afraid to just backdash a lot and see if the opponent hangs themself for you

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Urethane posted:

you might already know this but backdashes are very very safe in this game because you count as stand blocking continuously through the dash rather than in a vulnerable state like street fighter. autoblock also means that even while the stick is at neutral during the double tap you are still stand blocking

I don't know what rank you are at but for a while you can just backdash twice in a row and people will stand in front of you whiffing extremely slow moves, letting you punish with whatever you want

so don't be afraid to just backdash a lot and see if the opponent hangs themself for you

Warrior. And yeah I've been treating it like SF by force of habit even though I know better. Once I do have space, I'm fairly solid at doing what you're saying and poking their toes or using the very edge of my range to make them have a bad time. Also, I can KBD but not to the level of using it in place of the normal back dash because I'm just not comfortable enough for it to be fast or smooth. So I'll try to rely on the normal back dash more. All movement being cancelable into all other movement is something I'm taking a while to get used to.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

The counter hit noises are really loud and distinct, kinda like a bomb going off. With eddy his DF2 normal hit you follow up with f 3+4 but if it counter hits you get a full combo. The time you have to make the choice between the two is really small but because of the sound cue it eventually becomes automatic and you dont have to think about it at all.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
You really do not have to KBD in this game. It's helpful in some situations but the normal dash is so fast that it isn't a ton faster anymore.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

You really do not have to KBD in this game. It's helpful in some situations but the normal dash is so fast that it isn't a ton faster anymore.

I just wanted to learn it as a personal thing. It feels good to execute sometimes. And I’ve always been intimidated by Tekken so it’s kind of my way to prove it to myself that I can develop certain things. So pride, mostly haha.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Ran into a weird problem since patch where mid-match my L1/R1 keys will rebind themselves from LP/HP and LK/HK to all 4 buttons on each. Has only happened a few times but it sucks to suddenly be charging up instead of doing any of the other things I intended to do.

Is leaderboard busted for anyone else? I can see my friends on the ranked-track at end of game, but leaderboards I show no one.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I just noticed the hot dog cart in the times square stage is called "Crackpot Hotdog's" and I was going to jokingly complain about the misuse of the ' but then I typed out crackpot hotdog's and now I don't know where I'm at with this information

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
I finished all the single player content, so I'm ready to move into online games for a bit. I'd like to say Arcade Quest taught me something, but while it explained concepts very well, I didn't learn anything much about the characters I played. I dipped me toes in several different ones to learn the tutorials and recommended moves, but once I found out that you can literally just loop Lilly D2,1 over and over to perfect 90% of the opponents, I sort of just blasted through it and learnt nothing at all. More fool me.

Having continually swapped characters over and over, I need to pick one and stick to it rather than learning and forgetting the moves on repeat, and I'm stuck between Steve, Leo, Ling, Asuka and Lilly with no idea how I'll go for. Probably put aside Steve as a beginner just because of the difficulty factor, but as for the other 4 I haven't a clue who I'm going to sit down with in my first multiplayer session and just commit too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If you're having trouble deciding on a character to start with, Fergus's guide is a good overview to differentiate them and highlights the things to start with when learning them

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CG-ZUE6EqqQk7QSfc1feddeS8411f8t38EMFQ1Le9Cc/edit