Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Wasn't sure about picking this up since I haven't really played a 3D fighter since like, Soul Calibur 3, and I've never got into the weeds with knowing frames and plus and minus on block and all the technical stuff... but a bunch of friends were playing it so I bit the bullet.

Gotta say I'm having a blast so far. Playing as Lee mainly - he has some nice mixups, some real fast kicks etc. - he's a lot of fun. I've even started winning some online matches - I'm up to like 45k Tekken Prowess, though I have no idea how good a player that actually means I am. Feels like I still have a lot to learn, but I'm having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Seltzer posted:

I've been critical of the heat and rage system a bunch but one more thing I don't like about heat is it gives you a free "get off me" escape when pushed to the wall, I use it that way myself too at times. A big part of tekken is utilizing and being aware of 3d space and wall pressure and angles is a big part of that. Being able to get out of a bad position you were put in to for free is a bit lame to me.

Heat engagers aren't free. They still take frames to come off and they can be avoided, ducked etc.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Maybe this has already been posted ITT but in response to somebody posting "How should I learn?!" I thought this was a very good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqZndya05yg

It goes into some depth about how to learn to set you up for success in the higher ranks. You *can* just learn flowcharts or learn some character gimmick and combo or whatever and that might get you up to low red ranks, but then you're gonna have to relearn a bunch of poo poo because that's about when people start actually adapting to your bullshit and you can't get away with just flowcharting into the same moves every time etc.

Learning fundamentals is good. I was able to move from Garyu to Tenryu just recently, and I also beat a friend who's a Mighty Ruler recently only using Jack's B+1+2 because I've learned timing, blocking and movement way better than I did before.

Re: Combos. Honestly, I'm about to move into Mighty Ruler myself and I still don't really launch big combos. It's something I need to learn - when I can get launchers off, and the combos to go with them. I pretty much know one combo that gets 49 damage and it only works with one launcher, and even then I barely use it.

Of course, knowing and being able to execute launchers and combos is absolutely a good thing to be able to do, and not getting enough launchers off is a weakness in my play right now, but knowing spacing, move timing and range, movement, blocking and punishing are *absolutely essential* to beat players in the red ranks and above. If you start out wrong you can get into bad habits that will hamstring you later.

In my opinion, Jack is a really great character to learn because he's mostly poke-based. That means you *have* to learn when you can get small hits in to be any good with him, which sort of forces you to play in a manner where you're always considering what your opponent is doing or about to do at any given moment. I feel like that can set you up for success, vs maybe learning some characters where you can get away more with mashing etc.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Woo. Made it to Mighty Ruler. Still can't do launchers or combos.

I bet I'd be *really* dangerous if I learned that poo poo.

Anybody got any pointers to learn when I can get launchers off?

Seltzer posted:

Also not to sound like a gatekeeper or something but purples isn't that high.

Yeah that's fair. The ranked percentile analysis somebody posted on Reddit a few weeks ago said that Mighty Ruler is in the top 10-15% of ranked players. IDK if that's changed in the last 3 weeks.

So it's high-ish but not like, tournament level players.

E: Rank distribution/percentiles analysis: https://www.reddit.com/r/Tekken/comments/1b0h1b7/tekken_8_ranked_percentiles_february_2024/

So Blue ranks (Fujin) is like top 4% of players, if you only analyze players at Warrior and above.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 15, 2024

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Artelier posted:

Please pitch me a second character to play! I've been maining Reina all this time, and I've made it to the bottom of the purple ranks thanks to everyone's advice and now Every Fight Is Brutal so I want to take a break for a bit by dipping elsewhere. Like they're still matches that could go either way, but they're sweaty as hell now.

I'm not too particular on what this second character is and almost everyone looks kind of fun tbh! But here are things that appeal to me right now when I think of switching:
- Has a good low in there somewhere; Reina only had okay-okay lows
- Maybe doesn't go from one stance to another all the time - some stances is fine, more like I don't wanna do the "f, f+2 or 1, 1, 2 or df+1 into Sentai stance" that Reina did all the time
- Fun combos I guess? Stylish, or satisfying to hit, or both, or anything really that is "fun" to you

I realise this is likely most of the cast, but I dunno, it's still hard for me to pinpoint what I want. I picked Reina initially because her trailer showed off her stompy stomp gameplay (which turned out to be in the movelist but doesn't trigger as often as the trailer would imply). By the time I realised I wasn't gonna be stomping all the time I kind of was all-in on learning her.

Maybe you want Lee? He has great lows and mixups with lows in them. He does have two stances technically, but one stance is "mist step" where you tap forward and then stick neutral, and he does a little crouch dash forward - so it's more of a movement tool and a momentary starter to some moves.

His other stance is Hitman but you definitely don't have to use it all the time. You can cancel a decent amount of other moves into it and it allows for really dynamic and unpredictable play.

He does have fun combos and he's satisfying to me.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Dunno if this is the right place to ask, but I recently got an 8bitdo arcade stick controller, since using a Switch Pro style controller was murdering my hands - I was literally in pain all the time.

It's good... but I've gone down 2-3 ranks since getting it - from Mighty Ruler to around the top of Garyu. The main thing seems to be that I'm finding it difficult to reliably hit the inputs on the stick - particularly like, fast fw - fw - fw inputs and stuff like that because it takes a lot of getting used to. You have to push the stick just the right amount forward to engage the switch, let it rebound just the right amount to disengage the switch, hit it just the right amount and release just the right amount.... If you push the stick too far to make the input then it affects the rebound time and if you don't release enough then the switch doesn't disengage. If you wait for the stick to return to centre fully before each input then your inputs become quite slow a lot of the time.

I'm wondering if I should try to replace or mod the stick with one that has a smaller deadzone and/or a faster rebound (stronger spring) etc.

For anybody not familiar with fightsticks, changing out sticks and modding them (e.g. changing the spring) is apparently super common - so I guess that's some kind of proof that there are improvements to be made.

Anybody got any experience with this? I've played maybe 15 hours or something since getting the stick, and I *have* improved somewhat but I feel a bit like I'm hitting a wall with it, and I'm not sure if I just fundamentally suck with a stick or if making hardware changes might make a dramatic difference.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Umbreon, what rank are you at? I feel like you must be missing some real fundamentals like knowing what wakeup options you have.

First of all, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D58LncnVbXM

If you haven't already watched it, I *guarantee* there are at least a couple of things in there you don't know about.

Then, wakeup specific:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqen6VfqcC8

This vid talks about all your wakeup options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsRQJZUY-YA

This vid talks about how to block from wakeup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEymS90T5D0

This vid talks in some detail about an option most players below like, red or purple ranks possibly don't know about - you can press up to get up more quickly.

So basically - mash 1 to roll immediately on landing (when landing flat at the end of a combo - does not work when you land with legs up which allows opponent to continue the combo), hold down and back or back to block straight after standing, or use up to stand up more quickly and block mids/highs more quickly than you would if using back or down-back. If you still find yourself getting hit by stuff on wakeup, lab against the character and moves you're having problems with specifically. Sometimes if you don't know what to expect, don't know the matchup etc. it can be better to eat one hit on the ground THEN stand up, than it is to stand up and get hit with something while waking up and launched into another combo etc.

More generally just practice practice practice. Watch videos - PhiDX on youtube is a fantastic teacher (one of the vids above is him). Watch specific videos on the issues you're having plus watch more general tips - because there might be things you're not doing or not doing right/optimally, and you don't even know it.

Most importantly GET IN THE LAB AND ACTUALLY PRACTICE SPECIFIC STUFF. Throw breaks, wakeup, punishes, combos, stuff like that. If you're having trouble against a specific character or specific moves from a character then get in the lab and practice that poo poo. By far the easiest way to practice is to use Replays. Right after you finish a match, when you feel all butthurt about a particular move or combo or whatever that your opponent was using on you, that you don't know how to deal with, go use the replay to practice how to counter. There are a ton of vids out there on how to practice, how to use the lab, how to use the replay system to improve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKpEGJh3pts

Umbreon posted:

That's the current hardest part for me, it's really hard to tell when it's safe to hit a button, and I still have to figure out which buttons I'm allowed to press. Much of the time, nothing comes out when I try to press, but I'm counterhit so the game saw that I was pressing something. Or, the hitstun lasts so long that my input for my counterattack gets eaten and when the next attack comes out I'm just standing like a chump and take it in the face without doing anything. Or, I actually do get a button off, but it doesn't have enough range or it whiffs. Those are all things I'll learn about as time passes, but there's one thing I'm still clueless about :

This is tough for a new player, but you really just have to practice. Take note of which moves from which characters are giving you trouble, get in the lab and figure out when those characters are at minus frames. A couple of things you might not know that can help:

You can buffer inputs. This means that if you get a block off on a move, so long as the block is actually happening, you can release back and push a button and the move will come out the instant the block animation is over. If you wait for it to look like it's safe, like the opponent attack is over, then hit the button, you will lose frames and might miss a punish you otherwise would have hit. Of course if you release and try to push to early, it won't work and you'll get counterhit.

Some characters have strings where you can get hits in between e.g. hits 2 and 3. Azucena, Xiaoyu, Dragunov, Jin all come to mind. I can't tell you what the move names are but I'm pretty sure they all have them. Or maybe more specifically they *look* like strings but they're sort of not? I don't know how best to describe it.

Anyway, know what your fastest punish is - it's usually a 10 frame jab. If you want to work out, in the middle of a match, if you can get a hit in after blocking a specific opponent move, the first thing to try is your fastest move. If you can't get a punish in with that, then nothing else is gonna work. If the jab works, you can potentially try with an 11,12 frame move, if that works you can try the next time with a 13 or 14 frame move, and if that works you can try with a 15 frame launcher. But honestly the best thing to do is GET IN THE LAB.

Umbreon posted:

There are some other posters who emphasized and gave helpful advice. They're *right there*, next to the people telling me to stop playing.

The main thing people should be telling you is this: Do your homework, or stop complaining.

Practice to learn to counter the things you don't like, if you still don't like is, or you're not willing to do the work to practice and get better, then they're right, the game is not for you.

It's like if you were learning chess and kept complaining "Oh man I keep getting beaten by the King's Indian Defense, this game sucks, it feels horrible". The answer would be to do your homework, practice, learn better fundamentals and general techniques, do specific study against the King's Indian Defense, and if you still hate it, or you're not willing to do the work, then the game is not for you. If you can continue to play and get beaten by the King's Indian Defense once in a while, but still enjoy it, then great, keep playing. The answer for Tekken is exactly the same. Only instead of the King's Indian Defense, you might hate King's running dick punch.

If people are being lovely to you it's because you're making general complaints about how certain aspects of the game are just "bad". They're not going to change, so either suck it up, learn how to play better, or stop playing. I encourage you to learn to play better, which is why I put a load of effort into making this post, but honestly it seems to me like one of the things you could do to increase your enjoyment of the game is to change your attitude towards it.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 17, 2024

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Pockyless posted:

Stick is hard to learn and there are a million things you can do to mod them to fit your own preferences. Personally i prefer seimitsu sticks like the ls-32/38 because it has a stiffer spring and shorter actuation point for the switches, but a lot of other people like MYK prefer using korean levers for tekken because the rubber tensioner is even stronger helps when doing movement inputs. The stock stick in the 8bitdo is a sanwa jlf clone but if i remember right its a bit looser. On the bright side you can swap in most levers. You can change it out but it wont solve your problems completely, you still have to practice a bunch.

Here is the arcadeshock compatibility guide. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0748/3745/files/AS-LeverGuide-ver097.pdf

Ah yeah thanks I've done some homework and seen the lever compatibility guide on Reddit etc. already.

This is good info though thanks.

I know I still have to practice and I have been improving somewhat but also I just think I don't like the feel of this particular stick, particularly the centre deadzone, the like, "outside deadzone" (dunno if this has an actual name) i.e. how far you can push the lever past the switch activation point, and I'm thinking I might also switch from a square gate to octagonal.

I guess if anything I want like a hard or semi-hard stop for the lever immediately after the switch is activated, plus a fast rebound to centre so yeah maybe a korean lever would be best. I guess in an ideal world I'd be able to go somewhere and try a bunch of different ones to see what I like the feel of, but I'm pretty sure there's nowhere near me (or possibly anywhere) where that's possible.

I know some people who are really into fighters end up with like, 10 different controllers but I'm not trying to spend hundreds more dollars on hardware.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

They've done really well with the replay system and things like punish training, but I feel like more in-game explanation of this stuff would be good.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Nazzadan posted:

If you have a regular Sanwa JLF get a 2lb spring, it's over twice as heavy as the stock 0.8lb and it will reset to neutral much faster when you let go. Also if you are trying to barely press forward until the actuator hits the switches and then go back to neutral my advice is Don't. On paper it's better but if you watch literally any tournament you'll hear the stick players smacking the collar from pushing the lever all the way in a direction, you'll drive yourself crazy trying to stay at the point of actuation just smack that poo poo around it can handle it and the 2lb spring will bounce it back to neutral quickly with no reverse action (unless it's a Hori Hayabusa lever, those have bounceback problems)

Yeah it's an 8bitdo controller and supposedly the stick inside is a JLF knockoff so I guess it's possible I can use a JLF spring.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Just do it and don't care. Honestly I would say that OVER 50% of the matchups I get are wifi. I reject them 'cause about 30-50% of wifi connections are dogshit for this game and stutter constantly... but I would bet that wifi players match other wifi players.

I certainly don't begrudge wifi players for playing the game.

I do sometimes match them if I'm having trouble getting a wired game and it's still better than nothing - I'd prefer more people playing than not.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Umbreon posted:

I'm at a point where learning even a simple low damage combo would help, I just need to find something that can go off of a fast poke. I've gotten much better at blocking pressure, I still get hit all the time but often it's stuff that can't lead into a combo because it was too fast and too far away. I just need something that I can fight back with now.

Combos are overrated. I got up to Mighty Ruler without learning any combos.

I play Jack and he's a poke character and if you're good at that kind of playstyle you don't need 'em.

I genuinely believe that new players and those below like, red ranks, put too much focus on learning combos and not enough on fundamentals like defense, poke and punish. Once you can reliably get punishes and launchers off, then you'd better learn combos.

That said, my play would *absolutely* be improved by being able to get combos off more reliably. I do know one combo that does like 45 damage or something but I don't try enough to get launchers off to get it going. That's the thing I guess - learning combos isn't necessarily hard, it's getting the punishes to get the launchers off. It's next on my list of things to learn once I get used to playing with arcade stick a bit more.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Just a note - if the game is stuttering within the first little while, you can sometimes hold start to nullify the match. A little dialogue pops up (I can't remember where it is, at the bottom of the screen? At the top under the health bars?) that says "Hold [start icon] to cancel match" or something like that, then if you do it it says something like "Match cancelled, result will not be counted for matchmaking" or something like that. It's a good feature but I think it needs to be available as an option for longer into the match.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

It's amazing to me that even at Flame Ruler, most of the people I run into have basically no idea about some of Jack's moves and how to counter/avoid them.

In particular, he has a guard break that follows from his windmill punches (crouching df 1,2,1,1) which gives you a free hit. You have so much time to duck it, it's trivially easy if you know what's coming... but like 90+% of people don't know that and try to get a counter on you after the windmill punches end, or just stand there and continue blocking so you just get free hits.

Similarly his Giant Foot Stomp (u+3+4) which is where he rockets into the sky, and you can continue pumping in the air with 3+4 like Jigglypuff flying in Smash Bros... if you can land on their head it's an unblockable. If you're on the receiving end you can either side-step or just run forward under him and avoid it super easily in most cases... but people just... don't.

I guess what I'm saying is play something other than the ~5 most popular characters, learn some of their easily cheese-able moves, and you'll run into people who don't know how to deal with it right up to the blue ranks (and maybe above??).

If you're playing Drag/King/Reina or any of the other most popular characters, I would guess a lot more people are gonna know how to deal with your bullshit.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

loving hell is there a way to remove DF1+2 as rage art? Or somehow intercept the signals from my controller to make it so that the input isn't sent? Keep loving losing matches because I'm triggering rage art accidentally.

Jack has WC DF1,2,1,2,1 to do his windmill punches, that I use all the time. Pretty easy to see how that might lead to a mis-input, especially because my arcade stick buttons are on a hair trigger.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 3, 2024

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah I'm also still getting used to playing on lever (have to, to save myself from crippling hand pain) and F1+2 is used a bunch for Jack, except I somewhat frequently input DF instead of just F due to inadvertently pushing the stick at a slight angle.

Similarly to Shaheen, with Jack, B1+2 is like, probably Jack's most important poke move - it has very long range and is a knockback heat engager. DB1+2 is a very short range low and is MINUS SEVENTY on block/miss.

quote:

e: vvv i swear harada does this specifically to punish bad inputs, there is no reason for these moves to exist lmao

Well honestly the move is useful, it does quite good damage and you can catch people with it multiple times in a row, especially up through like, red ranks. You do take a bit of a risk using it but in lots of situations it's functionally no worse than something that's -15.... but yeah it kills on misinputs because it gives your opponent tons of time to close distance on you etc.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 3, 2024

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Shockeh posted:

Wish I understood how sidesteps and tracking are meant to work in T8, and do they work as intended.

Because every session I see things either track wildly or visibly don't track, but then still hit a target totally out of line.

Yeah I have no fuckin' idea because it seems super hard to step stuff to me. If you figure it out, let me know.

I'm sure I'd go up to at least Kishin if I learned how to step stuff... but it feels like a knowledge check on every character and every move in the game and even if you learn all that poo poo you still have to get the timing right.

Like, I've watched videos on it but putting it into practice is a nightmare.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

leroy damaging tekken team's credibility to the point that everyone assumes DLC will be buffed to poo poo to force people to buy them and then they will be nerfed later so that the next dlc can be buffed to poo poo to force people to buy them

Ah yes, the League of Legends Overwatch Apex Legends model.

To be fair I don't know if any of those games still do that, because I stopped playing all of them when they started doing that.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I mean they definitely are extremely stupid yes.

Nobody ever seems to remember this, but I distinctly remember them saying at some point, maybe like a year or more after release when the game was wildly successful and had like 10m plus players, something to the effect of: "Oh we'd like to change the way the tower targetting [or something] works, but it's hardcoded, we can't change it because it would break the entire game".

It was definitely something to do with towers.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Symbolic Butt posted:

- I think it happened 3 times, against opponents with ranks way higher than me. It's like... People clowning on you? They get 2 perfect rounds, then they let you win 2 rounds, let you take a good chunk of health of them in the last round and then start beating your rear end again to win the game. It's such a weird attitude I never seen anything like it in SF6 :psyduck:

I don't see this at all in Purple ranks. Must be a lower rank thing.

Sometimes if I am destroying someone I try to use Jack's jetpack thing to land on their head... but that's it. Definitely never let anybody win rounds etc. on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

What are your options for waking up in the face down head towards position?

I lost to a tenryu Feng that took one round by getting a knockdown in that position then just sort of doing this same sorta kick that would re-ground me :confused:

Just holding back didn't seem to do it, did I need to mash a button to tech roll or something?

Holding back can be a trap that can get you caught in an infinite death loop.

Tech rolling, or pressing up (gets up quicker) and then back to block can get you up out of situations like that. I think it depends on who you're against though?

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 16, 2024