Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it still doesn’t feel “real” to me and I’ve had it installed for more than a few weeks

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i'm a pc, and windows eleven was my idea

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
windows 11 is okay i guess. I hate all the ai and bing crap that they force down your throat.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

windows 11 was “okay” at best when released and has just gotten progressively worse at a blistering pace since

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
operating systems should be transparent. they should not try and seduce you

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
is windows 11 the current windows?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

my god. it feels like it was just yesterday. where does the time go

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

windows 10 dies on October 14, 2025 so enjoy it while you can

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i have windows 11 on my new work laptop op. seems like 95% the same as windows 10

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

sorry i mean windows osx

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

if I couldn't patch the taskbar to go on the side I would probably switch to linux

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

taskbar on the side? whats next, blue colored coffee and shoes you wear on your head??

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

you could've also, like, enabled autohide taskbar instead of switching to a completely dissimilar, incompatible operating system over a display detail. but it's also nice you could patch it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I use the taskbar icons for status and quick access, and I use the clock. can't see it if its hidden. get off my rear end

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

with linux I can use my customized i3 desktop which is pretty slick

but I'd have to replace a lot of my audio workflow so it'd be tough

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
“windows 7? hahaha that’s sooo old school. I think we had that on a computer in kindergarten” — my future boss, soon, probably

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

“windows 7? hahaha that’s sooo old school. I think we had that on a computer in kindergarten” — my future boss, soon, probably

just call him a n00b

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Clark Nova posted:

windows 10 dies on October 14, 2025 so enjoy it while you can

this is a lie

you can keep using it forever

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

that which is dead may never die

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

if I couldn't patch the taskbar to go on the side I would probably switch to linux

Wait what it can no longer do that out of the box like win 10?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

the taskbar got a “major redesign” and now, without third-party tools, can only be positioned at the bottom of the screen. they also moved all the icons and poo poo to the middle of the task bar, possibly to emulate the macos dock, but you can at least toggle a setting that puts everything back to the left side of the taskbar

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

the taskbar got a “major redesign” and now, without third-party tools, can only be positioned at the bottom of the screen. they also moved all the icons and poo poo to the middle of the task bar, possibly to emulate the macos dock, but you can at least toggle a setting that puts everything back to the left side of the taskbar

lmao

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The thing I'm interested to watch is how Windows just collects visual design cruft as it changes. Every actual new dialog uses whatever visual style is the default of the version of the OS it was introduced in, and almost nothing is ever changed so if you just poke around in the OS you can get system dialogs/panels that have the visual stylings of Win2k, XP, Vista, 7, 8, and now 10 in addition to the new rounded/softened 11 look.

The biggest effort I've ever seen to clean up old windows dialogs/panels/etc was for Vista, funny enough.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nah, biggest effort was 11, which is why it is so garbage. people being offended by being able to find stuff that does not look just right are the kind of people who got us entirely pointless "modern" taskbars and context menus.

vista and 8 also tried to some extent, and there is something all these have in common.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

vista and 8 also tried to some extent, and there is something all these have in common.

they were made my micro$oft?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

this os, I think, is a piece of poo poo!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

echinopsis posted:

this is a lie

you can keep using it forever

because windows 10 is free software, a dedicated army of enthusiasts and volunteers will keep it running lonng into the future

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Fabricated posted:

The thing I'm interested to watch is how Windows just collects visual design cruft as it changes. Every actual new dialog uses whatever visual style is the default of the version of the OS it was introduced in, and almost nothing is ever changed so if you just poke around in the OS you can get system dialogs/panels that have the visual stylings of Win2k, XP, Vista, 7, 8, and now 10 in addition to the new rounded/softened 11 look.

The biggest effort I've ever seen to clean up old windows dialogs/panels/etc was for Vista, funny enough.

I love how the ui regresses as you drill down into more advanced settings until it looks like windows 3.1

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Zlodo posted:

I love how the ui regresses as you drill down into more advanced settings until it looks like windows 3.1

I’ve found as old at Windows 98/2000, where does 3.1 still show up?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that font installer dialogue got removed in windows 10, iirc

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"ODBC Driver interface"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ooooh. neat

also, lamo @ odbc drivers. good lord.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

my windows 10 won't upgrade to the latest 22H2 update because I guess my pc isn't good enough? oh well gonna ride it out to the end anyway

olorum
Apr 24, 2021

polyester concept posted:

my windows 10 won't upgrade to the latest 22H2 update because I guess my pc isn't good enough? oh well gonna ride it out to the end anyway

It kept bugging me to update to 22H2 for years but it'd always fail mysteriously while installing it. I tried every solution I could find on the web but nothing. I ended up reinstalling the system and now it's up-to-date. Except now it keeps bugging me to update to Windows 11

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

I’ve found as old at Windows 98/2000, where does 3.1 still show up?

my posts aren't always factual

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

olorum posted:

It kept bugging me to update to 22H2 for years but it'd always fail mysteriously while installing it. I tried every solution I could find on the web but nothing. I ended up reinstalling the system and now it's up-to-date. Except now it keeps bugging me to update to Windows 11

disable the tpm in your bios or change to legacy support mode in the bios and it’ll make your pc incompatible with windows 11, so it’ll stop bugging you to update to it. there are other downsides to doing either of those things though

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Pinterest Mom posted:

"ODBC Driver interface"

lol i love windows

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i was making peace with windows 11 and considered getting a windows PC for gaming but then Microsoft doubled down on AI bullshit because they are creatively bankrupt and I now detest the idea of using the OS again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
I am waiting for the day the lawyers finally sink their teeth into the training models and the "AI revolution" vanishes with a pop and a tiny wisp of smoke.