Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Progman I think was only removed finally in a later Windows 10 feature update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Fabricated posted:

The thing I'm interested to watch is how Windows just collects visual design cruft as it changes. Every actual new dialog uses whatever visual style is the default of the version of the OS it was introduced in, and almost nothing is ever changed so if you just poke around in the OS you can get system dialogs/panels that have the visual stylings of Win2k, XP, Vista, 7, 8, and now 10 in addition to the new rounded/softened 11 look.

The biggest effort I've ever seen to clean up old windows dialogs/panels/etc was for Vista, funny enough.

yeah if you go into the "show more" on a right click it's like, whoops, back to the old days with you!

same thing with most settings being some stupid grouping like "apps" or "personalisation" which is inexplicably where you set display stuff, but if you go into diskmgr it's the same as winxp

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

also this same "lets change the stuff everybody uses and make the default some idiotic" is infesting the rest of their platforms as well. have the mail/calendar/contacts pane selection in the bottom left in Outlook like it's been forever? sorry, MS have decided these are all "apps" now and so must be on the left hand edge for "consistency of experience"

they've grudgingly added a toggle to turn that off but threaten it as "we are going to remove this". Their forums are full of people calling out their dumbass poo poo like this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Branch Nvidian posted:

the taskbar got a “major redesign” and now, without third-party tools, can only be positioned at the bottom of the screen. they also moved all the icons and poo poo to the middle of the task bar, possibly to emulate the macos dock, but you can at least toggle a setting that puts everything back to the left side of the taskbar

yeah I was working at a pharmacy and some older lady yells out one time "who's been loving around with the settings", because the task bar was in the middle

it was bad when the power button in windows was already in the same place. I prefer it to dynamically shift around

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think sagebrush was right when he said operating systems nowadays are important infrastructure, and fundamental things like where the power button is shot not be moved unless life or death situations

its like changing the accelerator and brake in a car

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no echi. every day should be an edge of your seat adventure in computing. who knows what you'll be able to do today, or won't be able to do? it keeps you on your toes.

nobody uses software for accomplishing tasks, they use it to experience the joy of navigating a new interface for the fourth time this month. microsoft understands this.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

my favorite aspect of computing is engaging with brands, and my favorite brand of all is the maker of my computer operating system, microsoft

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
keep thinking i should check out windows 11 but at this point i think i'll just wait for the movie

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

nah, biggest effort was 11, which is why it is so garbage. people being offended by being able to find stuff that does not look just right are the kind of people who got us entirely pointless "modern" taskbars and context menus.

they should've kept the ui entirely win32-based, op

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
just found out it's possible to redesign ui elements in a consistent manner without everything looking like they were designed 20 years apart by different teams. truly a novel concept

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Branch Nvidian posted:

my favorite aspect of computing is engaging with brands, and my favorite brand of all is the maker of my computer operating system, microsoft

when they released xbox it was like wtf microsoft is the dorkiest company ever

might as well be IBM releasing a console

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

infernal machines posted:

no echi. every day should be an edge of your seat adventure in computing. who knows what you'll be able to do today, or won't be able to do? it keeps you on your toes.

nobody uses software for accomplishing tasks, they use it to experience the joy of navigating a new interface for the fourth time this month. microsoft understands this.

our data shows that moving the button over here increases user engagement by 3.4%. we're doing it

3des these nuts
Nov 10, 2023
they named the best windows "Windows 2000"

Let That Sink In
Jan 24, 2024

Bears, Beets, Battlestar Galactica
I love increasing web integration into my OS with each update!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

our data shows that moving the button over here increases user engagement by 3.4%. we're doing it

if they spend more time trying to find the button that’s engagement and it’s good

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

3des these nuts posted:

only 1989 versions to go until we get there!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

3des these nuts posted:

off by 3

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

also this same "lets change the stuff everybody uses and make the default some idiotic" is infesting the rest of their platforms as well. have the mail/calendar/contacts pane selection in the bottom left in Outlook like it's been forever? sorry, MS have decided these are all "apps" now and so must be on the left hand edge for "consistency of experience"

they've grudgingly added a toggle to turn that off but threaten it as "we are going to remove this". Their forums are full of people calling out their dumbass poo poo like this

oh thank christ. i had no idea these were called "apps" (???) so i completely missed this in settings

shits aggravating. at least our workstations are all still win10

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Raluek posted:

off by 3

windows 5000?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

fart simpson posted:

windows 5000?

no, thats powerman

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Raluek posted:

oh thank christ. i had no idea these were called "apps" (???) so i completely missed this in settings

shits aggravating. at least our workstations are all still win10

yeah I mentioned this bullshit to my wife and she went "wait you can turn that off? Oh my god show me please!"

it's ridiculous. you go into like power bi cloud and it's like "hey here's excel on the web for you!" Sitting on the left.

nobody has ever wanted to use excel on the web. "hmm yes let me have a version with half the features that shits itself with large datasets because your browser can't handle it's bullshit" <== the words of the utterly deranged.

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

Raluek posted:

off by 3

nt 3.5 is the best windows i agree

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
lmao got a new PC at work that runs win11 it looks so bad

already got to go from the newest security settings page to the old win10 one to change a setting

the rounded borders look so bad with random rear end apps with old uis, poo poo is super misaligned

it looks linux as hell gj Microsoft

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Zlodo posted:

it looks linux as hell gj Microsoft

it looks like someone decided to try to copy gnome from any time in the last decade

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’ve fully adapted windows 11, even the dumb taskbar. embrace the bold future

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i too have embraced being less productive

next tech refresh im demanding a mac and will finally be windows except for my gamingpc that's always off

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Perplx posted:

i too have embraced being less productive

next tech refresh im demanding a mac and will finally be windows except for my gamingpc that's always off

you can leave it on and just let steam run with access to ur local network then stream games to your mac. works great for us

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

the windows 11 settings menus are a loving travesty

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

windows a loving travesty

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tapestry ??

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

tapestry ??

of failure maybe

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so true

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

echinopsis posted:

tapestry ??

good tng episode

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
they put a new server in at work and it had w11 of course and immediately I was like ugh “enhance pointer precision” so I hit windows and type mouse and go to the setting but it wasn’t what I was familiar with so I got scared

i hit windows again and typed mouse and noticed there was “mouse” and also “mouse settings” (I think), and the mouse settings took me to the legacy mouse settings that lets you change the important things

honestly I just suspect most people just don’t have a clue that their mouse settings make it awful to use and just tolerate the garbage that it is if you haven’t fixed it.

like u ever watch someone use a pc and the mouse is darting all over the place because the sensitivity is wayayyyyy too high and it looks so awful and hard to use

perhaps the way I set it up you have to overall move the mouse a greater distance but it’s also 100% predictable where it’ll end up, unlike with mouse acceleration whwre it’s a gamble

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

echinopsis posted:

tapestry ??

an utterly classic album

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

echinopsis posted:

they put a new server in at work and it had w11 of course and immediately I was like ugh “enhance pointer precision” so I hit windows and type mouse and go to the setting but it wasn’t what I was familiar with so I got scared

i hit windows again and typed mouse and noticed there was “mouse” and also “mouse settings” (I think), and the mouse settings took me to the legacy mouse settings that lets you change the important things

honestly I just suspect most people just don’t have a clue that their mouse settings make it awful to use and just tolerate the garbage that it is if you haven’t fixed it.

like u ever watch someone use a pc and the mouse is darting all over the place because the sensitivity is wayayyyyy too high and it looks so awful and hard to use

perhaps the way I set it up you have to overall move the mouse a greater distance but it’s also 100% predictable where it’ll end up, unlike with mouse acceleration whwre it’s a gamble

i unchecked "enhance pointer precision" and now the cursor moves super slowly. thanks for nothing.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you;re welcome

just make it move faster with the slider

senior sagebrush says you should leave the speed setting in the menu in the middle and adjust dpi to taste, but not everyone has that luxury

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
this mf thing only has 1000/1600 DPI naively and you need logitech software to get the full 4000 lol

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
had to look it up. i did also find out that there is horizontal sliding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ubuntu lts 2022.04 came out in 2022. makes u think