Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

lol at yospos predictably denying that the internet exists other than to download 8mb binaries of their favourite programs written in assembly

also lol at yospos using and caring about windows rather than turfing it in the trash where it belongs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

what a typically majestic snipe from your favourite poster, me

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
how is ubuntu these days

i feel like nobody talks about them like they did just a few years ago

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mediaphage posted:

how is ubuntu these days

i feel like nobody talks about them like they did just a few years ago

generally seems passable these days. like I think you could probably just install it on someone’s computer, tell them it’s an older version of OS X, and they’d probably believe you. linux nerds have all moved on to artisanal micro distros

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i use it on my janky home server and it’s fine, i dont really think about it much like i tend to when i use other distros

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ubuntu is not bad enough to be interesting.

which kind of is where windows 11 is at too, it is not some vista or 8 shitshow where they do something insane engineering- or design-wise, they just made it a bit worse in a way that's both annoying and boring.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

windows 11 doesn’t suck because it’s bad, it sucks because it’s not good

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i liked the full screen menus of 8 lol

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

mediaphage posted:

:stare:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

mediaphage posted:

What the gently caress

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

what’s the big deal? when you use a menu your attention is on the menu not the rest of the screen so who cares if the app goes away for a bit

nobody seems to make fun of apples mac launcher and it’s the same thing

anyway i don’t really use launch menus, i just type out the name of what program i want lol. i even do it on ios sometimes even tho i have almost all my apps set up within one screen

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

people use the Mac app launcher?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i’m sure some do

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

windows 8 was funny and fun. in some ways i think it was even a good idea, though as a whole it was real bad. for a far greater sin than the launcher it had a bunch of gestures which served little purpose other than to hide things from people.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i used windows 8 on the flagship hardware, the surface. it was bad there too. the desktop parts of the os mostly sucked for the usual reasons when using it as a tablet, and there were so many gaps in the tablet mode that it was useless for anything other than the simplest browsing/media consumption tasks.

it was a lovely pc and a worse ipad and the entire os was a series of garbage compromises to blend the two.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
windows 8 was a series of bad ideas, executed poorly.

windows 11 is "what if gnome, but with more ads?"

which, arguably, is also a series of bad ideas, executed poorly.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol i mean it was just windows from before plus a couple gestures really.

personally i barely even noticed the ui problems with w8 because i use keyboard shortcuts for almost everything and they weren’t really impacted

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no, it was also a full shell replacement that shoehorned a bunch of mobile ui concepts into a desktop (and server) os.

let me just move my mouse cursor to the right edge of the screen to trigger the charms bar so that i can access the option to shut down. this is good design.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

i will do the same thing with windows 10 that i have done with every windows version i have used thus far: continue using it until i end up making a system hardware update that it will not support. hell, i only recently got the 10 installation in my studio tweaked to where there aren't "features" continually cropping up to irritate the poo poo out of me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

no, it was also a full shell replacement that shoehorned a bunch of mobile ui concepts into a desktop (and server) os.

i mean the internals weren't real different, but yeah ok we'll just disagree, like 90% of computer problems i think the worst parts of windows 8 were overblown. ime if normies need to turn off a computer they just hit the power button, but nerds and nerd writers were acting like it was a complete impossibility to use and that window s8 would basically make your computer explode

though to be clear i am not defending the choices made by win8 developers:

let me just move my mouse cursor to the right edge of the screen to trigger the charms bar so that i can access the option to shut down. this is good design.

that's obviously dumb though again i don't think it probably mattered to a majority of users. i just liked the big app window so i didnt have to scroll or click to find installed programs, as a concept. lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

as someone whose job is basically being paid to use computers and know how to use computers and occasionally instruct other people on how to use computers, i assure you this is the kind of thing i am passionate about because it makes my life difficult for no reason.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
my lead (who also got a new win11 PC) earlier this morning, while using the file explorer: "what is this poo poo, everything is big, it feels like I'm using a mac"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Zlodo posted:

my lead (who also got a new win11 PC) earlier this morning, while using the file explorer: "what is this poo poo, everything is big, it feels like I'm using a mac"

lol

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

as someone whose job is basically being paid to use computers and know how to use computers and occasionally instruct other people on how to use computers, i assure you this is the kind of thing i am passionate about because it makes my life difficult for no reason.

unironically I got my family all on macs because it made my life easier to troubleshoot them and whatnot

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

for family pcs where you don't really need specific apps i would never buy windows for a family computer again. get them an imac or a chromebox, 99% of our troubleshooting problems disappeared lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i am not talking about family pcs. remember that windows is also a "business" operating system, too, and while it wasn't a popular one, there were places that didn't do windows 7 -> windows 10.

so you got stuck with corporate desktops running a ridiculous pastiche of a desktop os full of choices that did nothing but make your average workflow more complicated, for no reason.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

i think even microsoft forgets that windows is also a business operating system sometimes when they start trying to shoehorn in new interaction paradigms and whatever

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i am not talking about family pcs. remember that windows is also a "business" operating system, too, and while it wasn't a popular one, there were places that didn't do windows 7 -> windows 10.

so you got stuck with corporate desktops running a ridiculous pastiche of a desktop os full of choices that did nothing but make your average workflow more complicated, for no reason.

no poo poo, i was clearly responding to the post directly above my comment talking about family pcs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Branch Nvidian posted:

i think even microsoft forgets that windows is also a business operating system sometimes when they start trying to shoehorn in new interaction paradigms and whatever

two generations of windows server os had that same shell

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the fact that poo poo like this exists says about all you need to know about windows 11

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i maintain that the people who refuse to register an account are the people who enjoy the suffering, and that it is a very sane default for the majority of people.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ok sure but you could change the version and a few words and that post would mostly be fine from like xp on once the "xp lite builds" started hitting the scene

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sure but then there's stuff like

quote:

Fire up Rufus, select your USB drive and the Windows ISO, and hit Start to copy over all of the Windows files. After you hit Start, you'll be asked if you want to disable some system requirements checks, remove the Microsoft account requirement, or turn off all the data collection settings that Windows asks you about the first time you set it up. What you do here is up to you; all I usually turn off is the sign-in requirement, but disabling the Secure Boot and TPM checks doesn't stop those features from working once Windows is installed and running.

followed by another two pages of app removals and setting changes, which you did not have to do with any os prior to windows 10

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yep, for sure that's some bullshit. not going to read or do that, but microsoft sure loves annoying me these days.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

sure but then there's stuff like

followed by another two pages of app removals and setting changes, which you did not have to do with any os prior to windows 10

you don’t have to do it here either is my point. people live to spend time cleaning poo poo out of their operating systems for whatever reasons and this isn’t new

it’s true that the account stuff is certainly more annoying but i still don’t think this is that different from fifteen years ago

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i maintain that the people who refuse to register an account are the people who enjoy the suffering, and that it is a very sane default for the majority of people.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

graph posted:

an utterly classic album

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's like talking to the "this is fine" dog.

i take your point, you don't think any of the problems with the os are problems, because you don't care or interact with them. in contexts other than yours, they are actually a problem.

i spend an inordinate amount of time dealing with this bullshit professionally, and i remember a time when i didn't, and between the two there has been no added value to me, but significantly increased annoyance to get the os to a point where people can use it to accomplish tasks without being inundated by bullshit ads and apps and toast and prompts and calls to action, following any of which can break managed configurations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

there is a huge difference with how someone approaches installing windows for businesses these days and how it might show up or one might install it from a consumer perspective. i don't see you pulling poo poo out for businesses as a big deal for the os as a whole to be honest. given your position i would argue that you probably have the worst part of the deal given your career vs someone working in it in a big enterprise

it's like talking to the "this is fine" dog.

i take your point, you don't think any of the problems with the os are problems, because you don't care or interact with them. in contexts other than yours, they are actually a problem.

i spend an inordinate amount of time dealing with this bullshit professionally, and i remember a time when i didn't, and between the two there has been no added value to me, but significantly increased annoyance to get the os to a point where people can use it to accomplish tasks without being inundated by bullshit ads and apps and toast and prompts and calls to action, following any of which can break managed configurations.

no, i'm just clearly speaking from the impact on consumers because that's 99% of what gets written about and complained about online. you're talking about a case that the vast majority of users will never encounter or care about. it's valid, but i don't think it's a big deal taken as a whole.

you seem to see my pov as so limited and only applicable to my personal experience but you're throwing your experience out there like it's the "correct" one even though i'd wager from an individual perspective it's probably the less common one

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

git apologist posted:

i use it on my janky home server and it’s fine, i dont really think about it much like i tend to when i use other distros

of course you would run ubuntu as a server. Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the thing is, this was a solved problem for over a decade.

there was the "home" version of windows, that was an advertising free for all and basically unconfigurable and all of the defaults were good enough or at least arguably fine for consumer use. then there was the "professional" version of windows, which was completely configurable, didn't have the consumer defaults, and generally was designed to be set up and used by people who knew what they were doing and had specific needs.

now there's very little distinction between the two. the professional edition has all the bullshit consumer defaults and only some configurability, and unless you go a long way out of your way will still try to guide you into poo poo that absolutely should not happen on a work pc.

microsoft's justification is that if you want the real pro version you need to buy a $60/mo. subscription to get the os back to what it was until windows 10. many of the useful configurable options literally don't do anything unless you have this extra subscription attached