Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
All versions of windows have always been bullshit, then we learn how to work with and around the bullshit and it becomes normalized and we don't care anymore. Its very linuxy in this way

A lot of the dumb stuff in win11 echoes similar dumb stuff in win10 and so on (like it's hilariously stupid that the win10 system settings panel functions as the "advanced settings" of win11 in the same way that the win7 settings panel was the "advanced settings" of win10 but its just the same lovely design flaw that already existed before)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
yeah i get it, i think the direction is problematic ethically but i don't think it's going to be much of a problem for a while yet when it comes to actually impacting market share which is struggling for other reasons

Zlodo posted:

All versions of windows have always been bullshit, then we learn how to work with and around the bullshit and it becomes normalized and we don't care anymore. Its very linuxy in this way

A lot of the dumb stuff in win11 echoes similar dumb stuff in win10 and so on (like it's hilariously stupid that the win10 system settings panel functions as the "advanced settings" of win11 in the same way that the win7 settings panel was the "advanced settings" of win10 but its just the same lovely design flaw that already existed before)

this was sort of my pov at the start yeah

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Zlodo posted:

i kind of disagree in that me, vista, and 8 were dumb and bad in ways funnier and more aspirational. the feeling of it all being a racket rather than a thing you bought (from microsoft, oems have indeed been like that forever) is relatively new.

it is also hitting windows relatively late. the entire industry is extremely full of it, to the point where companies annoy users with "also buy this" poo poo even without a cynical profit motive, it's just product managers figuring that's what products do in 2024.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

i do love that windows 11 home is what used to be like 7 home basic and pro is basically just what windows 7 home premium was these days and if you want actual "pro" then congratulations you need an enterprise license

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Branch Nvidian posted:

i do love that windows 11 home is what used to be like 7 home basic and pro is basically just what windows 7 home premium was these days and if you want actual "pro" then congratulations you need an enterprise license

i don't love that at all

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
more like windblows lmao

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

more like windblows lmao

"micro$haft windblows :cool:" i post from my work pc running windows 11 enterprise 21h2 that can't receive updates because doing so destroys user accounts in active directory for some reason

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Branch Nvidian posted:

"micro$haft windblows :cool:" i post from my work pc running windows 11 enterprise 21h2 that can't receive updates because doing so destroys user accounts in active directory for some reason

uh you misspelled mikkkro$h4ft

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

just pretend i emptyquoted everything infernal machines said

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

we as an industry is held hostage by microsoft

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

whiplash from the first post being entirely true to the second being insane: microsoft is extremely late to fall into this general cesspool, the *industry* has been rotten for decades

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Branch Nvidian posted:

i think even microsoft forgets that windows is also a business operating system sometimes when they start trying to shoehorn in new interaction paradigms and whatever

for example all our pcs at work are not one person machines

windows doesn’t seem to get the idea of a shared pc

“set up one drive today”, on the pc on the retail counter that 20yo youths use to sell people anus ointment

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they do understand it, they want you to:

a) use separate accounts for every person using the pc

b) if it's a shared kiosk, pay for the version that supports kiosk mode and do all the management poo poo necessary to enable and configure that, with all of the IT backend that might entail

your employer being like every non-tech focused small business doesn't know or care about any of that poo poo and isn't hiring people who know or care enough to do it properly for them

tl;dr: you're holding it wrong

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

you can't rename a file by right-clicking it anymore? when did that change

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Pinterest Mom posted:

ya its a windows 11 bs thing. You have to shift + right click to bring up the old style menu and then it's magically there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

AlbertFlasher posted:

ya its a windows 11 bs thing. You have to shift + right click to bring up the old style menu and then it's magically there

this operating system is a loving mess rofl

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

i'm reasonably certain you can, but there are a bunch of file operations you can't do from the "recent files" list because those are just shortcuts

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, the new menu is dumb as poo poo (brought to you by crybabies who go 'having ui from 20 years ago show up hurts my feelings somehow uwu'), but that's not the full menu for when you right-click a file.

possibly the favourites should be the full thing, but not quite everything makes sense pretending they are.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

your employer being like every non-tech focused small business doesn't know or care about any of that poo poo and isn't hiring people who know or care enough to do it properly for them

or they see absolutely zero financial benefit

yes it’s annoying that every few days it does that thing at the start when it tries to get you to add a personal account or some poo poo

also i didn’t know you could kioskify windows

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

of course you would run ubuntu as a server. Lmao

:tipshat:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

or they see absolutely zero financial benefit

yes it’s annoying that every few days it does that thing at the start when it tries to get you to add a personal account or some poo poo

also i didn’t know you could kioskify windows

you can turn that off under settings, system, notifications, "additional settings" the two or three checkboxes under that will disable the persistent nags

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

for example all our pcs at work are not one person machines

windows doesn’t seem to get the idea of a shared pc

“set up one drive today”, on the pc on the retail counter that 20yo youths use to sell people anus ointment

when i worked retail from 1997-2005 or so the till computers all used some bluescreen, dos based, keyboard driven software and it was freaking glorious. i shudder to think of having to rely on a janky windows install, retail is already painful enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

of course you would run ubuntu as a server. Lmao

i have iterated through fedora, red hat, debian, and i think? arch and all of them were painful in various ways that did not spark joy

the death knell for my last install was no native support in aws ssm for fedora. with ubuntu (or al2, lol) i can just remote in or manage patches reasonably easily using iam creds

ubuntu is kind of the default linux for everything to support and while i have greybeard tendencies i would rather spend my time quoting posts and saying lol than getting furious at config file formats or whatever

git apologist fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 23, 2024