Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
invent by philip in 1973 to springboard michael jackson to stardom the compact disc (or “CD”) is a round disc 100mm in diameter which has shiny pits that represent ones and zeros

these ones and zeros encode data and that data encodes music. block rockin beats. this was called black book

later they realised you could encode other data onto these discs and they call that yellow book

then at some stage they made it so CDs could be made of plastic and you could zap them with a laser and make your own. this was good for stealing music and games

all in all CDs are round. then they made DVD. then HD-DVD. then the playstation 3 I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

do you like cds echi?

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
my kids got cd players from grandma for Christmas and we’ve been hitting up record shops and the library for sweet deep jams every week since. owns :unsmith:

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
I have like 600 music CDs in a couple boxes in a basement in the US and have no idea what to do with them.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

post hole digger posted:

do you like cds echi?

ye man

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
drat I didn’t know they were that old thank you op

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
wait that’s a goddamn lie, op

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6e1_IlvmQs

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

wait that’s a goddamn lie, op

no it's true, i know philip personally

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

:goonsay: actually it's red book

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

ECHI NO

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

fun fact: the center hole is the exact size of a 10 cent coin (colloquially called a 'dubbeltje') of old dutch currency

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

echinopsis posted:

these ones and zeros encode data and that data encodes music. block rockin beats. this was called black book
:actually: the digital audio standard is called the red book (and the SACD format is the ~scarlet~ book because it's fancier audio :eng101: )

post your favourite CD format specifications, mine is the green book because interactive movies will be the future

e: actually no it's the CD+G extension to the redbook because I am a sucker for stock karaoke b-roll footage

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 24, 2024

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

how about you cds nuts then :w00t: :rowdytrout: :blastu: :cawg: :woot: :troll:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

[img-Johnny-five-aces]

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dijkstracula posted:

:actually: the digital audio standard is called the red book (and the SACD format is the ~scarlet~ book because it's fancier audio :eng101: )

post your favourite CD format specifications, mine is the green book because interactive movies will be the future

e: actually no it's the CD+G extension to the redbook because I am a sucker for stock karaoke b-roll footage

which one was brown book

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
fun fact, CDs are literal spirals with one long track, not sectors like a hard drive. they are designed to be able to play with no buffering so the bits can go directly from the laser to the DAC. it’s basically a phonograph but with digital encoding.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
thats not exactly true, there’s also to 8-to-14 decoder and the time codes. but still basically no ram required.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

The Management posted:

fun fact, CDs are literal spirals with one long track, not sectors like a hard drive. they are designed to be able to play with no buffering so the bits can go directly from the laser to the DAC. it’s basically a phonograph but with digital encoding.

You sound smart. What was meant by the “8 times oversampling” that my cd player was so proud of itself for?

moosemanmoo
Jan 6, 2007
R the Reply that his life was in danger
my favorite is the 80mm diameter mini-cd (compacter disc?) that stores a lot less data but looks 10x more like you're doing some hollywood super hacker poo poo. had to give up that life when I switched to slot-loading mac laptops

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

The Management posted:

iirc the dreamcast gd rom used a spiral in the opposite direction to be harder to copy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

thats not exactly true, there’s also to 8-to-14 decoder and the time codes. but still basically no ram required.

the parallel port of digital music

so as opposed to this, what’s a sector on a hard disk, in a physical sense?

are hard disks rings?

on vinyl it’s a constant rate of spin so do the outer tracks carry more information? and similarly how to digital media deal with this? bits at max squash at the mid and less at the outer? or some fancy technology that compensates for this ?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Brrrmph posted:

my kids got cd players from grandma for Christmas and we’ve been hitting up record shops and the library for sweet deep jams every week since. owns :unsmith:

do kids like cds over records? I feel like records are neater from a kid perspective.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
records are much cooler but CDs are significantly cheaper and take up less space.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I love vinyl but modern prices are pretty lol

I am CD bargain bin champion

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

qirex posted:

I love vinyl but modern prices are pretty lol

its crazy how expensive that poo poo is man

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

do kids like cds over records? I feel like records are neater from a kid perspective.

the primary benefit of vinyl, and nothing will surpass this until it does, is that the album art is BIG

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Internet Old One posted:

You sound smart. What was meant by the “8 times oversampling” that my cd player was so proud of itself for?

no loving clue

echinopsis posted:

so as opposed to this, what’s a sector on a hard disk, in a physical sense?

are hard disks rings?

on vinyl it’s a constant rate of spin so do the outer tracks carry more information? and similarly how to digital media deal with this? bits at max squash at the mid and less at the outer? or some fancy technology that compensates for this ?

a hard drive is rings (“cylinders”) cut into slices (“sectors”). then there’s a third dimension (“heads”) because platters are double-sided and there is often more than one, and each has its own read-write head.

cds are not constant rate of spin, but not continuous either. they have 3 zones (inner, middle, and outer) and the disc changes speeds between them. the encoding is set to match the rotational velocity, not linear velocity of the disc. I.e. the holes get elongated as you approach the outer edge of the disc

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

post hole digger posted:

its crazy how expensive that poo poo is man

I can’t front on a working musician wanting $40 for some limited color vinyl whatever but people wanting 35 US dollars for a basic copy of velvet underground or number of the beast is ridiculous, there’s literally millions of copies out there

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

qirex posted:

I can’t front on a working musician wanting $40 for some limited color vinyl whatever but people wanting 35 US dollars for a basic copy of velvet underground or number of the beast is ridiculous, there’s literally millions of copies out there

Shipping on Vinyl can be expensive. To get anything from the US or Europe to the UK can double the price. I paid $45 for shipping two albums recently and will probably have to pay VAT and handling on top when they arrive.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Boody posted:

Shipping on Vinyl can be expensive. To get anything from the US or Europe to the UK can double the price. I paid $45 for shipping two albums recently and will probably have to pay VAT and handling on top when they arrive.

i do this once, maybe twice a year with hard to find things that have personal meaning to me

the single expedit cubby i have devoted to vinyl currently is easily quad figgies and all of them are gems

during lockdown did i acquire an original extremely limited promo pressing of a shakespear's sister darren emerson remix? i sure did and its mine now

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

isnt there a whole website dedicated to dudes looking for hot presses or whatever they think the “best” production time version of them are and selling them at even more markup?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there’s a fair number of “loudness wars” stuff from the 90s through the 2000s where the CD releases were way more dynamically compressed than the vinyl but it’s not stuff I listen to much plus a lot of the current streaming versions are higher quality

listen to the original vs. remasters of pretty hate machine if you want very clear example of what that’s about

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

listen to the original vs. remasters of pretty hate machine if you want very clear example of what that’s about

i havent but it's still insane to me phm was written in a coventry rat apartment on euclid heights blvd or wherever on a mac se

e:

and this was paying some of the bills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWccbyICM_A

graph fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 27, 2024

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the good news is trent was enough of a nerd that he kept all his turbosynth patches from his mac plus so he could make it sound ok once he was famous

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the original 12 bit version sounds real bad if you have a good sound system

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

post hole digger posted:

how about you cds nuts then :w00t: :rowdytrout: :blastu: :cawg: :woot: :troll:

close thread please

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

invent by philip in 1973 to springboard michael jackson to stardom the compact disc (or “CD”) is a round disc 100mm in diameter which has shiny pits that represent ones and zeros

later they realised you could encode other data onto these discs and they call that yellow book

then at some stage they made it so CDs could be made of plastic and you could zap them with a laser and make your own. this was good for stealing music and games

all in all CDs are round. then they made DVD. then HD-DVD. then the playstation 3 I think.

never heard of it

yours truly,
fart simpson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
op your thread is infested with vinyl fetishists. I have no choice but to recommend gassing to keep them from spreading.