Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Management posted:

op your thread is infested with vinyl fetishists. I have no choice but to recommend gassing to keep them from spreading.

i was asked to start writing the specs for a new jbl branded turntable recently, op. and then later asked to put the project on hold again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

compact discs have finally fulfilled their nominative determinism by being dumped into the trash compactor

fart simpson posted:

i was asked to start writing the specs for a new jbl branded turntable recently, op. and then later asked to put the project on hold again
the gen alpha kids are probably all using cassette tapes or something now, so maybe you can get on that and be ahead of the curve

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

akadajet posted:

do kids like cds over records? I feel like records are neater from a kid perspective.

kids like cassette tapes these days

lol efb but they actually really do

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
next you’ll be telling me people enjoy live music

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

no loving clue

a hard drive is rings (“cylinders”) cut into slices (“sectors”). then there’s a third dimension (“heads”) because platters are double-sided and there is often more than one, and each has its own read-write head.

cds are not constant rate of spin, but not continuous either. they have 3 zones (inner, middle, and outer) and the disc changes speeds between them. the encoding is set to match the rotational velocity, not linear velocity of the disc. I.e. the holes get elongated as you approach the outer edge of the disc

thankyou for this sick as gently caress insight

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i thought cassettes already came and went?

i got one like 8 years ago from someone

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

i thought cassettes already came and went?

i got one like 8 years ago from someone
Cassettes need to be periodically rewound before they can come into fashion again

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
when do iPods come back in style? I have a few ready to be used

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The Management posted:

when do iPods come back in style? I have a few ready to be used

https://www.businessinsider.com/vintage-ipod-sold-out-urban-outfitters-2023-10?op=1

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I have an old-rear end gen 5 ipod that would probably be really good if I replaced the battery

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ripped 15 CDs from my last amoeba records trip including 6 discs of harthouse compilations :c00l:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

my first ipod died 2 weeks after apple care expired

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

fart simpson posted:

my first ipod died 2 weeks after apple care expired

sounds like you were apple careless

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I had a video ipod and me and exwife took it on overseas holiday and I only had harold and kumar go to white castle so we ended up watching that movie at least a dozen times

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
on that tiny fuckin screen

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i would have divorced u after that too!!

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

so that's how you get an exwife

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i like firing up the old cd player to listen to 300BPS N, 8, 1 (TERMINAL MODE OR ASCII DOWNLOAD)

https://youtu.be/MYn_IFLki7k?si=zrYp66jlmDbyeGWY

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Management posted:

fun fact, CDs are literal spirals with one long track, not sectors like a hard drive. they are designed to be able to play with no buffering so the bits can go directly from the laser to the DAC. it’s basically a phonograph but with digital encoding.

how do tracks work? i.e. how does the player know where to advance to when you hit 'next track'

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it fascinated me how they worked out how to put sound between songs

like you couldn’t skip to it, but it wasn’t part of the previous track. you had to go to the previous track and let it go past the end to hear it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also things started happening as far as song length and time goes etc

on dark side of the moon or wish you were here the original vinyl just lists the songs in order

but when they made the cd they had to put a stake in the ground as far as when one song starts and another finishes

also on copies of reign in blood they hosed up the start of raining blood and put the end of postmortem as the start of it so you get videos of kids playing along to raining blood but starting with the end of postmortem hahahahah classic funy times

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think anyway . lol

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

qirex posted:

ripped 15 CDs from my last amoeba records trip including 6 discs of harthouse compilations :c00l:

i used to go to SF for work & personal reasons a lot in the early 2000's and my second stop after getting some actual chinese food (i lived in the midwest) was amoeba. I'd come home with so many drat cds.

one time on the bus there was an elderly black gentleman with a velvet crown on his head, in a wheelchair, on his way to dialysis, who asked me to release the wheelchair lock when we got to his stop but being a dumb white kid i somehow couldn't figure it out so the bus driver had to come help.

thankfully it was just the two of us and maybe 3-4 more so i didn't have a whole bus mad at me for slowing things down

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

how do tracks work? i.e. how does the player know where to advance to when you hit 'next track'

CDs have a table of contents at the start that lists the tracks, kind of like a partition table. however, there are no discrete blocks on audio CDs. instead they use time codes. there is a very low bitrate signal encoded in the data stream that contains the current time (if the disc were one long track including the track number). the table of contents lists the time codes of each track start. your cd player seeks to approximately where that would be on the disc, starts reading, and adjusts itself until it finds the time code it wants.

a cd player doesn’t need to keep track of what the current track is or the time, it can display the track and time codes directly from the disc with no processing. sometimes you’ll see a cd player show -1 seconds before a track starts. that’s literally in the time codes on the disc.

The Management fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 31, 2024

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
CDs were designed to be read by extremely simple ASICs with basically no compute power. like I said, they’re basically phonograph records with digital encoding.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

which makes it hilarious that there’s still cd transports [as in no dac and they output pcm over spdif] that cost deece 4 or 5 figures

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
are audiophile morons still paying $$$ for gen 1 ps1s

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

graph posted:

are audiophile morons

yes

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Management posted:

CDs have a table of contents at the start that lists the tracks, kind of like a partition table. however, there are no discrete blocks on audio CDs. instead they use time codes. there is a very low bitrate signal encoded in the data stream that contains the current time (if the disc were one long track including the track number). the table of contents lists the time codes of each track start. your cd player seeks to approximately where that would be on the disc, starts reading, and adjusts itself until it finds the time code it wants.

a cd player doesn’t need to keep track of what the current track is or the time, it can display the track and time codes directly from the disc with no processing. sometimes you’ll see a cd player show -1 seconds before a track starts. that’s literally in the time codes on the disc.

oh cool, thanks!

The Management posted:

CDs were designed to be read by extremely simple ASICs with basically no compute power. like I said, they’re basically phonograph records with digital encoding.

yeah that makes total sense given the time they were conceived/designed for

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

graph posted:

my 14 yo tells me “dad your ps1 can play cds!” and i’m like “i know :smugmrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Management posted:

this is sick

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i was unfortunate enough to get a sega-cd. it came with a compilation audio cd with a they might be giants song on it

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

graph posted:

no. audiophiles cared about the ps1 for like 3 months 20 years ago, and then they went back to buying $4k blocks of wood to wrap their power cables round.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

the folks who do care about the ps1 that way also insist you leave it running for like 24hrs before playing anything on it

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

echinopsis posted:

my 14 yo tells me “dad your ps1 can play cds!” and i’m like “i know :smugmrgw:

and the ps4 can't lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I have no devices capable of playing a cd at my house. I do still own many CDs though for reasons

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I have a working ps2 and a Dreamcast, I think one of the other of those can play cds

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The Management posted:

nerd

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
am I remember correctly that there were multiple kinds of RW cds that weren’t compatible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
with cd rom did that have much more redundancy and whatever compared to the phonograph nature of audio cd

and I spose DVD is just a new Cd