Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and they were invented way earlier than I ever imagined was possible :woah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:synpa:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

remember when Mazda named a car after the mp3?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
put your cds in the freezer for an hour before playing them to get the best sound. this only needs to be half an hour for post-bebop jazz

have as few LPs as possible, but use a laser turntable for them so that you can get as close as possible to cd quality

if you record anything on to cassettes you must use side B to record the exact same audio as side A *but in reverse* like twin peaks. this ensures each note goes all the way through the tape and provides a greater depth of sound

mystes
May 31, 2006

gabensraum posted:

if you record anything on to cassettes you must use side B to record the exact same audio as side A *but in reverse* like twin peaks. this ensures each note goes all the way through the tape and provides a greater depth of sound
I feel like there's a market for a $100k cassette tape recorder for audiophiles for the this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ears are burning

someone’s talking poo poo about cds

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

echinopsis posted:

ears are burning

someone’s talking poo poo about cds

hope its a good song

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mystes posted:

I feel like there's a market for a $100k cassette tape recorder for audiophiles for the this

reel to reel already exists and the prices of both the equipment and tapes make vinyl look reasonable

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

the thing that seems very cool about cds is they seem a bit “hackable”, like people learned to abuse them a bit, for example tracks before track 1, you could only access by rewinding and some players couldn’t do it

there's also this: https://www.instructables.com/Burning-Pictures-on-a-Compact-Disc-Surface/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

poo poo that rules

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

it would be sick if you could also store usable data/audio along side it. I guess you could if you don't use the entire disc space for the graphic. I only skimmed the article so maybe they mention this

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I may have bought this cd single for the cool laser art

also because the jesus and mary chain are a great band

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

have we talked at all about the black undercoating on PS1 game discs? i feel like some musicians tried to use it too

George
Nov 27, 2004

Brexit the Frog posted:

have we talked at all about the black undercoating on PS1 game discs? i feel like some musicians tried to use it too

It was blue.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
bullshit

I saw it and it was black :foldarmsemoji:

was the blackness part of the drm

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

George posted:

It was blue.

you might be thinking of the low capacity discs for PS2.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

yeah this. the blue backed ps2 games were just CDs I’m pretty sure. the ‘slide card’ swap disks for ps2 came with two disks, one a DVD driver and the other a CD driver, and you had to use the CD driver disk for the blue backed ones

ps1 disks mostly had black dye with a few exceptions. if you were to buy FF origins today off squeenixes site it might intsead have a clear backing

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

echinopsis posted:

bullshit

I saw it and it was black :foldarmsemoji:

was the blackness part of the drm

not quite drm. the dye was partly a branding thing and partly to differentiate between legit copies and repros

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there was something they did to make copying them difficult tho right

I had my ps1 mod chipped so it could play my backups

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
ordering a pro action replay or whatever it was called from a seedy catalog back page and it actually working was one of our great young revelations. my one pal fell over

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

echinopsis posted:

there was something they did to make copying them difficult tho right

I had my ps1 mod chipped so it could play my backups

PS1 discs have a particular track that “wobbles” in a few spots. the laser can detect and report that is is compensating for wobble. the wobble has to be part of the mastering process and writable cds don’t have it so they can’t run.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

PS1 discs have a particular track that “wobbles” in a few spots. the laser can detect and report that is is compensating for wobble. the wobble has to be part of the mastering process and writable cds don’t have it so they can’t run.

yeah the wobble groove is within the first few sectors of the disc so commodity burners can’t replicate it. if my memory serves the wobble groove contains whatever region code and mod chips just injects the expected signal at the right time

George
Nov 27, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

No, the "black" was an extremely specific and very dark blue as I recall.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hm. maybe if you hold it to the light, idr. kinda an academic distinction tho imho

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
can i get a cd wobble

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

playstation cds are extremely black, I just held one up to the brightest light in my apartment. ps2 cds were blue

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

playstation cds are extremely black, I just held one up to the brightest light in my apartment. ps2 cds were blue

if a single photon can escape it it is not really black, read a book ffs

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

that photon voted for joe biden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

that photon voted for joe biden