Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

I didn't watch the second half of the race but i had a dream where i checked my phone and denny hamlin won and thought "that doesn't make any sense, i must be dreaming"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!
Get Chris Jeneckis a clock! Good game bear bond. God I love a Friday night truck race. I wish they were always Friday night.

(I know it’s Christian Eckes)

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 6, 2024

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

What a mess

Wish majeski had more time, I think he was good on the long run and might've caught back up but eckes had a great truck

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks dude wipes for finally giving a way for dudes to wipe

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

perfect timing on that "JRM mishaps" montage

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

The big one

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Good win for Almirola, esp w/ the earlier tv/radio exh [i think that was him right?], creed that was disappointing. Not too bad result for Shane; it was cool to see him punt back that dude. Cindric blaney okay but curious for Ross in the booth next week.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

So caution because????

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

too easy for willy b

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/jim_utter/status/1778461456100446366?t=bH7u3lGWP_6N5QhPJnXF8w&s=19

NBC is taking Junyer quitting well.

e-
https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1778487492615815462

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 11, 2024

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
*checks notes*

...alongside such critical successes as the leftovers from The WB.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

they better not prempt dawson's creek for this poo poo.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
Be a shame to make us wait if we don't want to.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

The ACC has a game a week on the CW, and it's worth it just for the FBoy Island ad reads

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

big nipples big life posted:

they better not prempt dawson's creek for this poo poo.

“The Final Stage of the championship race from Phoenix will move from the CW to ION to make way for this weekends exciting Dawson’s Creen Marathon!”

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Friday night truck race! Anyone but Busch please!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

why does Busch run the Truck races? Seems kinda like an NHL vet going down and playing college hockey. I know they let him do it bc $$$ but does he just do it for practice/ego boost?

also watching this race I learned theres a driver whose first name is Lawless and im rooting for him as my #2 after Rajah rn on that alone

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I think Kyle is running a handful of truck races as a sponsorship obligation related to his sale of his truck team.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Kvlt! posted:

why does Busch run the Truck races? Seems kinda like an NHL vet going down and playing college hockey. I know they let him do it bc $$$ but does he just do it for practice/ego boost?

also watching this race I learned theres a driver whose first name is Lawless and im rooting for him as my #2 after Rajah rn on that alone

drivers have raced in lower series for various reasons for as long as I've watched, I was used to seeing Mark Martin in Busch races on Saturdays, I dont know if it was practice or he just liked racing specific tracks a lot or a combo or what but yea. they had to put some guardrails on it in the 00s because too many guys were pulling double duty and crushing the lower serieses as developmental feeder leagues. I believe it was Kevin Harvick specifically who brought that about

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I think Kyle just likes the way the trucks drive. He hasn't had anything good to say about the cup cars since the CoT but that is where the money is.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Kvlt! posted:

shiksa posted:

drivers have raced in lower series for various reasons for as long as I've watched, I was used to seeing Mark Martin in Busch races on Saturdays, I dont know if it was practice or he just liked racing specific tracks a lot or a combo or what but yea. they had to put some guardrails on it in the 00s because too many guys were pulling double duty and crushing the lower serieses as developmental feeder leagues. I believe it was Kevin Harvick specifically who brought that about

It was around 2011 when they made drivers declare for only one series' points because cup drivers were going down and winning championships in the now-Xfinity series.

Buschwacking started to dwindle after that but really started to go away in earnest in the late 2010s in part because NASCAR limited them to seven Xfinity and five truck races a year. (Plus, there was that time Harvick ragequit the series after Chastain (rightfully) right reared him at Darlington.)

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

shiksa posted:

It was Harvick, Carl Edwards, Kyle Busch, and I feel like Brad K and Denny did their fair share as well. But yeah Harvick, Carl and Kyle were in both races pretty much every week and there were a handful of times Kyle would be in all 3 and sweep the whole weekend which I always thought was kind of impressive. Even though winning the trucks and Busch races weren't really that hard for him but then after already running 500 miles between the two races and running another 500 to win the Cup race was always pretty neat to me.

But yeah the cap on the number of races needed to happen. I'm sure it is good for current lower series drivers to see how Cup regulars go about certain tracks and how they are driving at certain points in the run but I don't think the first full time lower series finisher being like 6th or 7th every week was good for either trucks or Xfinity.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

what's the difference between the cars and trucks besides the bodies

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I mean that's a huge difference just from aero. They also have different engine packages.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

This 'dash 4 cash' thing xfinity does seems kinda silly

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Xfinity pays poo poo so it’s a good chance at money for some teams.

The No Bull races in the early 00’s was great. I think the money rolled over right?

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Sure bigger payouts are good, it just seems like a way to generate drama or something; like how are the drivers selected each round? Do they know ahead of time / is there a schedule, is it for everyone? I guess I need to know more lol

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Virgil Vox posted:

Sure bigger payouts are good, it just seems like a way to generate drama or something; like how are the drivers selected each round? Do they know ahead of time / is there a schedule, is it for everyone? I guess I need to know more lol

Top 4 finishers from the previous race, no Cup drivers.

And it only runs for basically April. First race, Martinsville, is set by the top 4 finishers at Richmond.

Douchebag fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 13, 2024

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

^ thnx

Wow that finish!

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

0.002 seconds drat!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sieg should have kept pushing Meyer into the wall there instead of racing gentleman like.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

The No Bull 5 was fun back in the day too…

Winston No Bull 5

In 1998, in preparations for the 50th anniversary of NASCAR, R. J. Reynolds decided to revamp and reintroduce the million dollar award program. Several factors contributed to the change. After thirteen seasons, the Winston Million had been won only twice, and several times, no driver won even two events. R. J. Reynolds, along with NASCAR, the drivers, and fans, wanted a new format for the award, which allowed it to be won more often and have more drivers involved.
The four established crown jewels on the circuit were experiencing worthy competition. In 1994, the inaugural Brickyard 400 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was held, and for several years, actually dethroned the Daytona 500 as the richest race of the season. The events at Richmond International Raceway were also fast becoming fan and driver favorites. In addition, several new venues were introduced to the schedule, all of which were offering large base purses.
The new program for 1998, titled the No Bull 5 (after a Winston marketing campaign) consisted of three legs of the original Grand Slam (Daytona 500, Coca-Cola 600, Southern 500) along with the Brickyard 400. The race at Talladega used for the program, however, was switched from the spring race to the October race. As a result, that event changed sponsorship names and became referred to as the Winston 500.[1] The rules were as follows:
The drivers who finished in the top 5 of a No Bull 5 race qualified themselves for the bonus at the next No Bull 5 race.
If one of those five drivers went on to win that next No Bull 5 race, he won a $1 million bonus.
Five fans were chosen for each No Bull 5 race, and were paired with each of the five qualified drivers. If the driver won the bonus, the lucky fan paired with him also won $1 million.
During the No Bull 5 races, the No Bull 5 eligible drivers raced with special paint jobs. The number on the roof and the rear spoiler was painted day-glow orange because many cars were painted red, and a day-glow "$" was affixed to the passenger window along with a red dot on the windshield in races prior to 2001. Other special decals were sometimes present. This allowed fans to quickly identify and follow the progress of the five eligible drivers. The only exception was the 1998 Daytona 500 where eligible drivers had silver numbers instead of the orange.
In subsequent seasons, the races chosen for the No Bull 5 program varied. The Brickyard 400 was dropped after only one year, replaced by the Las Vegas 400. Eventually the Daytona 500 was replaced with the Pepsi 400, and the Southern 500 was replaced by the fall event at Richmond.
In its five-year span, which totalled twenty-five races, 125 eligible driver spots, and 124 eligible fans (one fan qualified twice, winning neither), the million dollar bonus was won thirteen times. Jeff Gordon won it a record four times. Including his 1997 Winston Million victory, Gordon won a total of $5 million from the bonus program.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Douchebag posted:

Xfinity pays poo poo so it’s a good chance at money for some teams.

The No Bull races in the early 00’s was great. I think the money rolled over right?

NB5 didn't roll over, but I think the pole award money did until someone won from the pole.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

NB5 didn't roll over, but I think the pole award money did until someone won from the pole.

Yeah it’s been a while so I wasn’t sure. NB5 was fun though. Special numbers and schemes and stuff was great. drat sport is way beyond doing anything like that again.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

What the hell was that booth banter

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

The best race at Texas this weekend was The Uncle Chicken's Sippin' Whiskey Stockyard Stampede presented by Whiskey Myers change my mind

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Cactus Ghost posted:

what's the difference between the cars and trucks besides the bodies

from what ive been told, the trucks are still built and set up much in the same way that nascar cars were set up for decades, whereas the xfinity cars are modeled more after the cup series nextgen cars, which are a huge jump in technology available to drivers/crew chiefs/etc. disclaimer: i dont know goddamn poo poo myself just relating it from someone with a lot of firsthand experience, but its part of what makes the truck series especially kinda cool to me and why i try to catch that instead of cup more. and also, yeah, the aero is way different which makes a huge difference in specifically nascar style oval racing.

plus they look cool and theres a guy there whos named "lawless alan" and that rocks

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

hendrick motorsports is BACK baby

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

All those good feelings we had built up toward NASCAR and then Here Comes Chase Elliott to ruin it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

shiksa posted:

from what ive been told, the trucks are still built and set up much in the same way that nascar cars were set up for decades, whereas the xfinity cars are modeled more after the cup series nextgen cars, which are a huge jump in technology available to drivers/crew chiefs/etc. disclaimer: i dont know goddamn poo poo myself just relating it from someone with a lot of firsthand experience, but its part of what makes the truck series especially kinda cool to me and why i try to catch that instead of cup more. and also, yeah, the aero is way different which makes a huge difference in specifically nascar style oval racing.

plus they look cool and theres a guy there whos named "lawless alan" and that rocks

Xfinity cars are pretty much the last-gen Cup chassis, but still run a carburetor and tapered spacer instead of switching to fuel injection.