Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

FLAP YOUR WINGS BABY JOEY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i cant figure out what the hell that glove was supposed to do/how it was supposed to help but its some Joey supervillain poo poo so im here for it

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
lol oops todd gilliand wrecked the field

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

:negative:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lol

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I retract my earlier statement. Atlanta sucks, the package sucks, the sport essentially sucks now with this car.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

that 4 wide was insane

Gilliland gonna win this

Virgil Vox fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 26, 2024

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

HOLY poo poo WTF

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Wow, glad I flipped over to the last 15 laps of that.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Counting the pixels to pick the winner. Wow!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah that was awesome

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!
Daniel Suárez just beat your least favorite driver.

BRING MY loving PIÑATA BOYS!

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 26, 2024

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
crazy stuff, fun watch

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Woah'

That finish going to be on the opening package of every nascar broadcast from now on

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Race overall was garbage.

IRacing type start
Bullshit wrecks just getting into a bullshit pit road entry
No need for another Daytona
All but like, 8 cars not involved in an incident?

Finish was OK? It was the wet dream nascar had wanted for sure. Very happy for Suarez, he needed it after a lousy 2023.

I apologize for stating Atlanta was good. It’s trash. I miss watching races where a driver was 8 seconds back with 30 to go and was rim riding and making up a half second per lap.

I don’t expect Vegas to be super exciting but can we get some sort of real racing or is nascar dead?

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

nvm i refuse to believe that post is actually earnest

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

he's right

finish was cool but the race was a bleak cross section of what nascar currently is and wants to be

chamois
Oct 24, 2010

i think you guys are just depressed

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

both things can be true (and are)

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i used to watch as a kid in the late 90s-early 00s and just got back into watching regularly last year and i love watching just about every race, idk,

if yall are bummed out watching im sorry to hear that

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

shiksa posted:

i used to watch as a kid in the late 90s-early 00s and just got back into watching regularly last year and i love watching just about every race, idk,

if yall are bummed out watching im sorry to hear that

same i had a great time watching the race and the finish was spectacular, not the most exciting race but overall im a happy fan today

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

it was a cool race on its own with an awesome finish but my busted-rear end brain can't divorce what neo-atlanta and the reaction to it means for nascar as a sport as it continues to become something that is very different from what i think real racing should be

anyway todd gilliland is leading the series in laps led

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

anyway todd gilliland is leading the series in laps led

Summer of Todd

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Howard The Dork posted:

Fun fact: Austin Hill is Jonah Hill’s cousin.

I feel bad for Austin if this is true.

Also, exciting finish to a race.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I didn't hate that race. I like that there are six drafting races on the schedule. I just wish they were better spread out as opposed to the obvious gimmick they are gunning for this year with Daytona and Atlanta a maximum of two weeks apart. (And though I could make the obvious "wait until the casual fans see Vegas" joke, the races there haven't been bad recently.)

It certainly doesn't help that the schedule, according to what I got from talking to Frank Kelleher last summer at Daytona, basically comes down to like four people ("I don't get any say as to when we run, I'm responsible for selling out the stands and infield; the 400 could run in June someday").

If there's any criticism of the track to be had, it's this is yet another example of "NASCAR should do Obvious Thing X, but instead does I've Got A Better Idea Y. If there was a cookie cutter that was a worthy candidate to become the type track Atlanta did, it was Texas. Atlanta 2.0 seemed to be one of the cookie cutters that produced the best racing on its own merit.

It's kind of like when Labor Day Fontana flopped and, instead of putting the Southern 500 back right away to right the wrong (which wouldve been a PR win), it went to Atlanta because the big brains in NASCAR, in their infinite wisdom, decided the obvious thing wasn't the way THEY wanted it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
NASCAR is my spring/summer nap background, so as long as there's interesting finishes, I'm happy with two hours of motors droning in the background beforehand.

Of course, I also watch bike racing on TV, which is like NASCAR big track strategy in slomo, so...

Always happy to see Bubba or Suarez do well just for the blood pressure increase it creates for all the worst people. Always happy to see Kyle lose because gently caress that guy (which Kyle? Does it matter?).

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

A whole heck of a lot of my motorsports watching has migrated to YouTube lately. There is a bunch of great road/grand prix racing and drag racing footage out and about now. We watched this years Lightning Lap footage from VIR last night and it was just right for wind down car noises. Also worth watching to see them let a nice sport bike make a rip and holy poo poo they brake late compared to what I'm used to up there.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Whoa I didn't know they put Lightning Lap on YouTube. Is it a live feed? Do you have a link? I searched and don't see one.
I did find Garage 56 doing a lap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxyHOGKNgcU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I'll edit a few links in here in a few. I'm always really annoyed that they keep it so locked down when they do the testing but running that grand course they'd end up killing someone walking on the wrong part of the track. They had one of the cars around 150 mph on a part of the track that's normally pedestrian and ATVs. :v:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
High banking, hi drag, low power everywhere so dogbrain race fans can get their Sunday dose of dopamine

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

how long before they add figure 8 tracks?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

High banking, hi drag, low power everywhere so dogbrain race fans can get their Sunday dose of dopamine

this is the future nascar wants

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!

big nipples big life posted:

how long before they add figure 8 tracks?

They have to go in and finish demolishing all the 1.5 mile Ds to make room for the new figure 8 tracks.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

kidcoelacanth posted:

he's right

finish was cool but the race was a bleak cross section of what nascar currently is and wants to be

I think the last 50 laps are clouding everyone's brain a little as far as best race start to finish or whatever but I'd bet if I looked at the Top 10 Best NASCAR Races Ever most of them are dogshit until the last 50 laps so I'm sure this one slots in as one of the best ever. I just don't think the whole race top to bottom was the best. I don't think the majority of the drivers could really do anything until the sun was going down and the track cooled down. Once that happened I think we finally got to see some moves and some racing. The 4 wide attempts were exciting even though Briscoe's didn't work, the finish was obviously exciting but I wasn't super pumped on the first 2/3 of the race. Good finish, good winner in the end so hard to complain about it but the die hard NASCAR fan in must complain.

I'm sure 35 laps into the Vegas race I'll be begging them to knock it down and repave it like Atlanta when Chase Elliott has like a 9 second lead over Larson who was 7 seconds on Byron and so on and so on and FOX is taking their 2nd commercial break in 4 laps because literally nothing is happening.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
not trolling, just interested as a new fan that hasn't watched since back when it was the winston cup:

what should that race have looked like? what changes has nascar made that negatively affected the style of racing? i assume there's a push to create a spectacle for tv, with lots of crashes and such?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Just watch Talladega Nights instead since that's the entertainment you're wanting

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

the milk machine posted:

i assume there's a push to create a spectacle for tv, with lots of crashes and such?

correct

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

race felt a lot like the old IRL pack-race era, and i guess thats both a severe criticism and a compliment?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the milk machine posted:

not trolling, just interested as a new fan that hasn't watched since back when it was the winston cup:

what should that race have looked like? what changes has nascar made that negatively affected the style of racing? i assume there's a push to create a spectacle for tv, with lots of crashes and such?

to put it simply, atlanta used to be a normal 1.5-mile intermediate track (with all the good and bad that comes with), and a couple of years ago they added a shitload of banking to basically turn it into a mini-daytona/talladega, which rely on pack/draft racing

if you tune into vegas next weekend, that's what a more standard nascar race looks like. the pack racing is not the norm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

kidcoelacanth posted:

to put it simply, atlanta used to be a normal 1.5-mile intermediate track (with all the good and bad that comes with), and a couple of years ago they added a shitload of banking to basically turn it into a mini-daytona/talladega, which rely on pack/draft racing

if you tune into vegas next weekend, that's what a more standard nascar race looks like. the pack racing is not the norm

this makes sense, thanks. i also watch bicycle racing sometimes so its kind of interesting to see similar racing with packs drafting off of each other but instead it's cars going 190mph, but it does seem really dependent on someone eventually loving up and sliding through the pack

i'm definitely looking forward to watching next weekend, it's cool to see actual racing happening vs f1