Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

chamois posted:

ken burns nascar

thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Howard The Dork posted:

It’s not bad. A whole lot of Denny, but you get to see his soul get crushed a little so there’s something for everyone.

I kinda wish they would have found a way to work in some of the finer points of racing, like the different ways they draft and get each other loose and air blocking and what goes into setting up the cars for different tracks, etc. - details to help curious new fans get into the sport more easily and take the next step of tuning in and watching live races. But I get why they didn’t.

I had the same feeling it couldve been more technical but then I showed the first episode to a friend who didnt kno anything about nascar and she was like "I had no idea they werent just normal cars with bigger engines" so i can appreciate them not overwhelming new fans with too much technical info and just kinda gently introducing everything. Seems to be working tho she really likes the show!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

what gear do they use on this track like 2nd?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

those paint schemes aint worth a velvet paintin of a whale and a donkey gettin it on

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

everyone loves Chase Elliott

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What is Spire's connection to Hendrick? Bowman, Elliott, and Larson all raced for Spire and the Spire truck ran a Hendrickcars.com livery but I cant seem to find a business/official connection between them or maybe im just dumb

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ungratek posted:

It is but it’s not a big deal to most people. The most that it matters is people dislike Toyota for not being American.

im the opposite lol im a Chevy guy but Toyota makes great cars so ill root for a Toyota over a Ford

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

skaboomizzy posted:

I root for Bubba because he's cool and everything he does makes the worst people on earth really mad

same but with Max in F1

I always tell friends getting into NASCAR if you truly dont know who to root for just wait for the next race and pick a lucky number or the number closest to your bday. It's just fun to root for someone, doesnt really matter who

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Modulo16 posted:

Fun fact Toyota has more American employees than Chevy, and almost as many as Ford. So maybe the cognitive dissonance is too much.

Still, good to know.

I liked the 23XI drivers, and I respect Denny. Joey seems like a weasel and Ross seems like a guy who would fight you in a bar after he drank too many shots of Jack. He gets points for the video game move though, I remember see that clip and it’s what honestly got me wondering what was going on in NASCAR.

a good chunk of toyotas are made in America too, so its always been a silly argument. Even if they were all designed, made, and manafactured in Japan, for me (a Chevy/GM fan) that would be awesome, an opportunity to compete and show American cars are better.

I think Toyota joining wouldnt have been as upsetting for fans if brands like Dodge hadnt left.

Im torn on 23XI personally. I hate Denny but I love Michael Jordan.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Paying2Lurk posted:

Oh so your question in that thread wasn't in good faith. Got it.

no it was. i can make a joke about Max being widely hated too. Theyre not mutually exclusive.

if it wasnt in good faith i wouldnt run to this thread revealing it lol

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i cant figure out what the hell that glove was supposed to do/how it was supposed to help but its some Joey supervillain poo poo so im here for it

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

shiksa posted:

i used to watch as a kid in the late 90s-early 00s and just got back into watching regularly last year and i love watching just about every race, idk,

if yall are bummed out watching im sorry to hear that

same i had a great time watching the race and the finish was spectacular, not the most exciting race but overall im a happy fan today

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i love draft racing so it was awesome for me but if you dont like it yeah it sucks

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

big nipples big life posted:

His accent is going to upset the people who make me embarrassed to be a fan and that's another plus.

-me, in the future when theres an American F1 announcer

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Cactus Ghost posted:

is there any way to watch nascar online yet. i will never have cable

i have the nascar app on my phone and it works on my computer too

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Do yall think theyll use the resin again for the night race or go back to the Pj1?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ungratek posted:

Watching Truex go from stomping to full meltdown in five minutes was great. Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.

i hated seeing Hamlin win but Truex being miserable and throwing a temper tantrum was so worth it

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

why does Busch run the Truck races? Seems kinda like an NHL vet going down and playing college hockey. I know they let him do it bc $$$ but does he just do it for practice/ego boost?

also watching this race I learned theres a driver whose first name is Lawless and im rooting for him as my #2 after Rajah rn on that alone

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

iirc trucks and xfinity also run 4 speed transmissions and next gen 5 speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i know it might have been a sucky race on TV but my Dad and I have dreamed of going to Talladega for 20+ years and we finally made it, we were right on the start/finish line during the big wreck and finally got to see the track in person we both always dreamed of so at least SOMETHING good happened this weekend!!

the museum at Talladega is wicked cool too if anyone ever goes to a race there id def reccomend stopping and checking it out