Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

As of the end of episode three, there's been no sign of Samantha Busch. As a matter of fact Kyle was on screen for about three seconds so far. I can't imagine there will be any Busch sightings at this point as they're going into the round of eight which Kyle was not part of.

All of you video game nerds will probably like Tyler Reddick a bit more after episode three.

Didn't they only follow Blaney, Hamlin and 2311 for the show? I've only watched ep 1 so far and Blaney wasn't even really in ep 1 but I thought they only followed a few guys so there might not be any Busch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

For anyone that was going to miss the heat races tonight and tune into the Clash tomorrow night I got bad news for you. Severe weather for Sunday is predicted and they moved the entire even to tonight. Cancelled heats and the LCQ. Fastest 22 cars in practice move on and then the highest in last year's point's that isn't in the top 22.

All times Pacific.
2:30PM PT - NASCAR CUP SERIES practice
5 PM PT - BUSCH LIGHT CLASH at the Coliseum
7:30PM PT - KING TACO LA Batalla

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

dang, i can't believe the crowd is thin for a race that was supposed to run tomorrow as LA prepares for a cataclysmic rain storm! nascar really bungled this

Well the heat races were supposed to run tonight so it's not like nothing worth watching was scheduled and they just sprung an event out of nowhere. I expected a little bit bigger crowd than showed, place looked drat near empty on TV. Though windyman was there and he posted a photo from the front stretch I think near the end that was looking pretty full on that side of the track. So maybe it just looked bad on TV. Honestly I think the camera work left a lot to be desired on the night. Zoomed in wayyy to tight on every angle in my opinion.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

I was able to finish the Netflix show this week. Overall I guess I like it but I felt like they focused a lot on the drama and suspense of the outcomes of the races rather than the stuff going on outside the cockpit of the car. Drive to Survive seems to focus a lot less on the actual races and only provide clips of the races for context of what is going on within the rest of the episode where as the NASCAR show seemed to sprinkle in other stuff while mainly focusing on the cutoff races themselves. I'd bet that 90%+ of the viewership of that show knows Blaney won the championship so the whole drama of will he or won't he was kind of silly in my opinion.

Maybe there are people who have never watched NASCAR but watched Drive to Survive see this and go, awesome a new race documentary series. They watch it and get a great introduction to the playoff format and some of the drivers and they gain a few more new fans but I feel like that is kind of a stretch. Anyway I hope they keep it going but I'd like to see more of the Week in the Life behind the curtain kind of stuff rather than focusing on some pitstop drama from lap 74 of a race that happened 3 or 4 months ago.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

I just started playing iRacing and holy poo poo, spinning at Tsukuba, trying to roll out of the groove and getting drilled anyway, and getting like 7x for the inconvenience loving sucks.

So does getting drilled in the LR by a spinning car while trying to miss it and getting a 4x.

E- And driving a Legend at Langley and getting a stop and hold for diving into the pit exit to avoid t-boning someone.

Wait till you start getting netcode 4x's, always a good time. The picture I attached is the point of "contact" we never got any closer than what is pictured, 4x. It was my only incident of the race and I still lost SR.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

SR is based on a fixed range of corners. So you could have a clean race fall out of calculation on top of the race with a 4x and thus lose SR.

Iracing certainly has problems with SR and it's a cruel system sometimes, but there's no other game (sorry it's a game folks) where people generally race safely and don't corner bomb like you get with other games.

The next season is going to introduce rain for some car series, so it'll be a real shitshow.

Oh yeah I totally get how it works just frustrating to drive by a car that was spun out by someone else and get punished for "contact". But yeah the rain is going to really make things interesting. I wonder if it will relax contact points to 2x or something? Like in dirt oval you can make some pretty significant contact and get 0x or 2x instead of the 4x it would be on paved oval. Gonna be real interesting for sure.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Ungratek posted:

It is but it’s not a big deal to most people. The most that it matters is people dislike Toyota for not being American.

Yeah they have really watered down the manufacturers with the last few iterations of cars so that they almost all look exactly the same so it doesn't really matter. It doesn't even matter to most of the owners except the big 3 for each manufacturer, Hendrick/Chevy, Penske/Ford, Gibbs/Toyota. Most of the smaller teams will just run whoever they can get the most support from though I doubt Roush would ever leave Ford nor Childress ever leave Chevy. Tony Stewart made such a big deal about keeping partnered with Chevy for all his teams when Gibbs switched from GM to Toyota I never thought he would switch, especially since his Cup program was getting Hendrick partnership help but Stewart/Haas has been running Ford for what like 5 or 6 years now? Honestly I kind of miss the days of teams complaining about aero advantage because of the nose of this manufacturer over that manufacturer and whatnot and now all 3 manufacturers have to fit the same templates.

Most of the drivers don't even have sponsorship identity or even number identity since so many of them jump teams now so it's basically you find a few drivers you like and you just follow them wherever they go and hope for the best.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

he's right

finish was cool but the race was a bleak cross section of what nascar currently is and wants to be

I think the last 50 laps are clouding everyone's brain a little as far as best race start to finish or whatever but I'd bet if I looked at the Top 10 Best NASCAR Races Ever most of them are dogshit until the last 50 laps so I'm sure this one slots in as one of the best ever. I just don't think the whole race top to bottom was the best. I don't think the majority of the drivers could really do anything until the sun was going down and the track cooled down. Once that happened I think we finally got to see some moves and some racing. The 4 wide attempts were exciting even though Briscoe's didn't work, the finish was obviously exciting but I wasn't super pumped on the first 2/3 of the race. Good finish, good winner in the end so hard to complain about it but the die hard NASCAR fan in must complain.

I'm sure 35 laps into the Vegas race I'll be begging them to knock it down and repave it like Atlanta when Chase Elliott has like a 9 second lead over Larson who was 7 seconds on Byron and so on and so on and FOX is taking their 2nd commercial break in 4 laps because literally nothing is happening.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Douchebag posted:

Curious to see how the Cup cars perform at a short track, without the updated short track package that was used at famed short track, Phoenix.

Also curious how much of a shitshow the Trucks will be.

Maybe they can't use the short track package there because of the banking and the need the extra diffuser stuff? I know they also talked about famed short track New Hampshire also getting the short track package but maybe they mean flat track package?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

mearn posted:

All resin, that was the same tire they used at Bristol last fall. The track just didn't take any rubber.

That was fun, can't believe that last run went green as long as it did. Props to NASCAR for not throwing a caution when there were probably like eight excuses to do it when people started getting flat tires.

I was listening to Denny's podcast today and his eventual conclusion was that it had to be a track temperature thing because people were blaming the resin but there wasn't resin in the middle/top and they didn't take any rubber either. He initially thought the new tires had something wrong in the mix to make them wear so much compared to old tires but they said on the broadcast that the extra set that was approved were holdovers from last year and they wore just as bad. Air temp is all I could find data for and at race start yesterday it was around 60F and in the fall race at race start it was around 75F so that could have played a factor. You figure they don't actually have any Bristol tire wear trends or stats for the spring from the last 3 years due to the dirt race.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

shiksa posted:

drivers have raced in lower series for various reasons for as long as I've watched, I was used to seeing Mark Martin in Busch races on Saturdays, I dont know if it was practice or he just liked racing specific tracks a lot or a combo or what but yea. they had to put some guardrails on it in the 00s because too many guys were pulling double duty and crushing the lower serieses as developmental feeder leagues. I believe it was Kevin Harvick specifically who brought that about

It was Harvick, Carl Edwards, Kyle Busch, and I feel like Brad K and Denny did their fair share as well. But yeah Harvick, Carl and Kyle were in both races pretty much every week and there were a handful of times Kyle would be in all 3 and sweep the whole weekend which I always thought was kind of impressive. Even though winning the trucks and Busch races weren't really that hard for him but then after already running 500 miles between the two races and running another 500 to win the Cup race was always pretty neat to me.

But yeah the cap on the number of races needed to happen. I'm sure it is good for current lower series drivers to see how Cup regulars go about certain tracks and how they are driving at certain points in the run but I don't think the first full time lower series finisher being like 6th or 7th every week was good for either trucks or Xfinity.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Both their cars were top 20 in points like last week.

Yeah I feel like that at least the 43 car has only gotten better over the last few years and yeah up until now with Erik having to miss races he was 20th in points and JHN is 22nd.

You could argue it's time for Jimmie to just get away from the track and become an owner and stop Darrell Waltriping his legacy though. I mean he has the perfect mentor to go from top driver to car owner/spokesman for the team in Jeff Gordon. I'm sure Jimmie still has access to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Salami Surgeon posted:

Wrestling style belts. World champion, intercontinental champion, tag team champion. Belts are on the line every race.

Supercross basically does this. Supercross champ, Motocross champ, Playoffs champ. NASCAR doing a bonus for short track champ or roadcourse champ would be cool. Side thing where maybe the winner gets like 5 extra playoff points or something.