Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Netflix show was good. Lots of focus on some younger guys which was fun.

LOL at no crowd for tonight. Time to ditch this format forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Make the Clash a rotating race. On actual race tracks. This would have been so much better at Iowa or Nashville.

Have they done anything to improve the short track package this year?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Lawless Alan is such a nascar name.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Deegan is the current Danica. She keeps getting new and better rides with nothing to show for it.

Granted, she’s probably more talented than Danica, but I don’t think we have seen it yet. She is massively marketable though which is probably just as appealing as winning races these days (Same as Danica was).

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Atlanta is good.

NASCAR Atlanta package is bad.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

new atlanta fully sucks poo poo on a conceptual level

New vs the original oval style that had the epic Kulwicki/Elliott race? Or new as in current shape but repaved?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I retract my earlier statement. Atlanta sucks, the package sucks, the sport essentially sucks now with this car.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Race overall was garbage.

IRacing type start
Bullshit wrecks just getting into a bullshit pit road entry
No need for another Daytona
All but like, 8 cars not involved in an incident?

Finish was OK? It was the wet dream nascar had wanted for sure. Very happy for Suarez, he needed it after a lousy 2023.

I apologize for stating Atlanta was good. It’s trash. I miss watching races where a driver was 8 seconds back with 30 to go and was rim riding and making up a half second per lap.

I don’t expect Vegas to be super exciting but can we get some sort of real racing or is nascar dead?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

It all hinges on who they get for the lead broadcaster. Please be Bestwick.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Racing was good this weekend I thought.

However, give the loving Cup cars the whole engines please and let’s having a racing series. Still a good race, thought Reddick had it there but Larson is drat good and did what he had to do.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Curious to see how the Cup cars perform at a short track, without the updated short track package that was used at famed short track, Phoenix.

Also curious how much of a shitshow the Trucks will be.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

bigbillystyle posted:

Maybe they can't use the short track package there because of the banking and the need the extra diffuser stuff? I know they also talked about famed short track New Hampshire also getting the short track package but maybe they mean flat track package?

Haha Famed short tracks has me laughing.

Not sure honestly, I listened to a bunch of DJD and DBC driving to and from Florida the last couple of days and they are all making GBS threads on nascar for the current packages all over. DBC wants the short track package at Bristol almost unanimously, but more than that they want real tire wear which isn’t anywhere to be found at this point.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Truck race was really good I thought, I’m not able to watch the Cup race right now.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

If we have to suffer through a dominant season by Denny only for him to finish 2 seconds back in the championship race, so be it. Sign me up.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

big nipples big life posted:

they better not prempt dawson's creek for this poo poo.

“The Final Stage of the championship race from Phoenix will move from the CW to ION to make way for this weekends exciting Dawson’s Creen Marathon!”

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

I think Kyle is running a handful of truck races as a sponsorship obligation related to his sale of his truck team.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Xfinity pays poo poo so it’s a good chance at money for some teams.

The No Bull races in the early 00’s was great. I think the money rolled over right?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Virgil Vox posted:

Sure bigger payouts are good, it just seems like a way to generate drama or something; like how are the drivers selected each round? Do they know ahead of time / is there a schedule, is it for everyone? I guess I need to know more lol

Top 4 finishers from the previous race, no Cup drivers.

And it only runs for basically April. First race, Martinsville, is set by the top 4 finishers at Richmond.

Douchebag fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 13, 2024

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

The No Bull 5 was fun back in the day too…

Winston No Bull 5

In 1998, in preparations for the 50th anniversary of NASCAR, R. J. Reynolds decided to revamp and reintroduce the million dollar award program. Several factors contributed to the change. After thirteen seasons, the Winston Million had been won only twice, and several times, no driver won even two events. R. J. Reynolds, along with NASCAR, the drivers, and fans, wanted a new format for the award, which allowed it to be won more often and have more drivers involved.
The four established crown jewels on the circuit were experiencing worthy competition. In 1994, the inaugural Brickyard 400 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was held, and for several years, actually dethroned the Daytona 500 as the richest race of the season. The events at Richmond International Raceway were also fast becoming fan and driver favorites. In addition, several new venues were introduced to the schedule, all of which were offering large base purses.
The new program for 1998, titled the No Bull 5 (after a Winston marketing campaign) consisted of three legs of the original Grand Slam (Daytona 500, Coca-Cola 600, Southern 500) along with the Brickyard 400. The race at Talladega used for the program, however, was switched from the spring race to the October race. As a result, that event changed sponsorship names and became referred to as the Winston 500.[1] The rules were as follows:
The drivers who finished in the top 5 of a No Bull 5 race qualified themselves for the bonus at the next No Bull 5 race.
If one of those five drivers went on to win that next No Bull 5 race, he won a $1 million bonus.
Five fans were chosen for each No Bull 5 race, and were paired with each of the five qualified drivers. If the driver won the bonus, the lucky fan paired with him also won $1 million.
During the No Bull 5 races, the No Bull 5 eligible drivers raced with special paint jobs. The number on the roof and the rear spoiler was painted day-glow orange because many cars were painted red, and a day-glow "$" was affixed to the passenger window along with a red dot on the windshield in races prior to 2001. Other special decals were sometimes present. This allowed fans to quickly identify and follow the progress of the five eligible drivers. The only exception was the 1998 Daytona 500 where eligible drivers had silver numbers instead of the orange.
In subsequent seasons, the races chosen for the No Bull 5 program varied. The Brickyard 400 was dropped after only one year, replaced by the Las Vegas 400. Eventually the Daytona 500 was replaced with the Pepsi 400, and the Southern 500 was replaced by the fall event at Richmond.
In its five-year span, which totalled twenty-five races, 125 eligible driver spots, and 124 eligible fans (one fan qualified twice, winning neither), the million dollar bonus was won thirteen times. Jeff Gordon won it a record four times. Including his 1997 Winston Million victory, Gordon won a total of $5 million from the bonus program.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

NB5 didn't roll over, but I think the pole award money did until someone won from the pole.

Yeah it’s been a while so I wasn’t sure. NB5 was fun though. Special numbers and schemes and stuff was great. drat sport is way beyond doing anything like that again.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Are they running 3/4 throttle as an entire pack again to save fuel like they did at Daytona?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Decent race, McDowell had to block there but no overtime and basically finishing under green was the best we could ask for

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

chamois posted:

i can deal with the races being boring as piss but there's no way i'm gonna waste 4 hours a week watching denny hamlin win over and over

Will be worth it in November when he loses the championship by finishing 2 seconds behind the winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Great race, fun as hell in person. When Buescher made that pass the whole place went nuts.