Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005
I got a tattoo of a tribal eagle on my right shoulder shortly after I turned 21. It was fun for a while, but now that I'm 40 I think it looks immature and cringey. It has overstayed its welcome and I'm ready to get rid of it. Has anyone here had their ink removed? These are my most pressing questions-

-How much did it cost? How was pricing determined?

-How long did it take? How many sessions did you have to complete before it began to fade away?

-How effective was it? Did your tattoo disappear completely or did it just fade to the point where it's still noticeable if looked at closely?

Any stories or experience with this would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
I don't have any experience with tattoo removal, but I have tattoos. From what I understand, it can be a painful and lengthy process. If you haven't changed your mind about having tattoos at all, a coverup might be a better option.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Just get another cooler eagle on top of it

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
My brother is currently getting a decent sized tattoo on his back removed. I'll try to recount the details accurately. Some things, like how much it cost, could be off, sorry!
First, I'm not sure how long each removal session is, but he said there are going to be nine or ten sessions of removal, each session is two or three months apart.
He said it does hurt, but hurts in a different way than getting a tattoo. I don't have any tattoos so I can't really relate, he does feel like the pain is worth it though.
The tattoo fades a little each time. They are breaking up the ink under the skin a little more with each visit, so that makes sense.
I think he said each visit is like 300 dollars? This is the thing I'm least certain of.
That's all I can remember, I'll ask him about others details though, he likes to talk about it

Edit: he mentioned he plays on his switch like a big ol nerd during the appointments, so they must be long enough to do that

cinnamon rollout fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 27, 2024

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005
So I went ahead and scheduled an appointment to get my ink removed. The technician explained the process and what to expect. The good news is that removal is more effective on older tattoos. Black ink fades the fastest as well, so I think I'll get good results. After just one session it is noticeably more faded and spottier. The areas with the thinnest lines of ink look like they're almost gone already.

So the cost will be $200 per session with a session every 8 weeks. They said my tattoo should take between 4-6 treatments. I'm not thrilled about the idea of shelling out $800-$1200 or even more to get this bird off, but I knew it would not be inexpensive. Wish I could tell my 21 year old self to think twice!

The session itself was quick but quite painful. You know that feeling you get when you touch a hot burner or oven rack? It felt like that- a pulsating laser zapping my shoulder. I could smell the flesh burning. You think having one done is tough? Try getting one removed! But it took about 5 minutes. My shoulder was tender and had some residual pain for a few hours afterward, but nothing too painful. I had it done yesterday and today it doesn't hurt at all anymore. So overall it wasn't awful and I'm looking forward to my results.

Here's a before and after for anyone interested.
Before

After (spoiler warning- may be slightly graphic due to some red, blistered skin)

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I had a tattoo zapped off my pec, the first session lasted about 45 minutes (felt like hours) and hurt like all gently caress. I just told the operator to ignore all noise I made and I’d tell her to stop if I needed her too, then I just clung to the chair I was on.

Each session after that took less time and hurt less (although it still sucked rear end). Took about 6 sessions to effectively remove a palm sized black and white image. Now you would never know I had ever had it.

Handy tips for others:

Don’t wear a good tee shirt, you will leak a lot of gross fluid.
It feels like nasty rear end sunburn afterwards
You tend to wait about six weeks between sessions
DONT PICK AT IT.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

what was wrong w the tattoo you zapped off

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

PokeJoe posted:

I was 19 and had seen the movie “The Crow” too many times.

Unless you mean the OP, in which case just add this reply to make tattoo shame pile.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I meant u bby

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Isn’t there ink these days specifically designed to be able to be zapped off with certain wavelengths but otherwise be permanent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005

Extra row of tits posted:

I had a tattoo zapped off my pec, the first session lasted about 45 minutes (felt like hours) and hurt like all gently caress. I just told the operator to ignore all noise I made and I’d tell her to stop if I needed her too, then I just clung to the chair I was on.

Each session after that took less time and hurt less (although it still sucked rear end). Took about 6 sessions to effectively remove a palm sized black and white image. Now you would never know I had ever had it.

Handy tips for others:

Don’t wear a good tee shirt, you will leak a lot of gross fluid.
It feels like nasty rear end sunburn afterwards
You tend to wait about six weeks between sessions
DONT PICK AT IT.

Yeah, I had my 2nd removal session a couple days ago and it still itches. I agree with all these points. My tattoo hasn't leaked any fluids though. Maybe I'm lucky in that regard.

I'll also add this- bring a pair of grip squeezers with you, like the kind you use to strengthen your forearms. You will need something to squeeze and squeeze hard when you're getting zapped. Enjoy the smell of your own burning flesh as well!

PokeJoe posted:

If you're directing this at me-

I got mine when I was 21 back in late 2004. Nothing is "wrong" with it- I just don't like it anymore and I've been wanting to get rid of it for a few years now. I won't miss it when it's completely gone.

The Lone Badger posted:

Isn’t there ink these days specifically designed to be able to be zapped off with certain wavelengths but otherwise be permanent?

Maybe there is. This kind of ink probably didn't exist back in 2004 when I had mine done, or if it did it wasn't used. For anyone getting themselves tatted I would suggest using this ink if available.