Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

My sister has followed a kinda slapdash guide to reinstall Windows 10 on her laptop. The guide advises creating installation media, cause I think it's aimed at tech professionals instead of casual users, and the route it takes you through to do that manages to dodge all the warnings about how the USB device or DVD you use for it will have all its files deleted. So, not realising that it would be a problem, she used her external USB hard drive as the installation media device. This drive was where she was keeping years worth of photos and other files, so she's understandably eager to get them back if possible. My question is, will recovery software be able to get something back, or does the tool actually zero out the entire drive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dabir posted:

My question is, will recovery software be able to get something back, or does the tool actually zero out the entire drive?

No, the tools wouldn't erase the whole drive as that could take a long time.

It'd depend on the size of the USB hard drive. If she used a big one then there's a decent chance a lot of the files could be recovered. The smaller it is the more likely important stuff got permanently erased.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It was a 500 GB drive, so that's encouraging. It doesn't seem sensible for the tool to totally erase everything, but if there's one company I feel like you could count on to be recklessly destructive with other people's data with only the barest of warning it's Microsoft. I've already advised her to take it to a professional, guess we'll see how it goes.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
You can preview (kinda) what a pro sees by trialing r-studio and doing a full scan on the drive