Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Sex Farm posted:

I was agreeing with you? Not sure what this post means. Could you elaborate?

Passive-aggressive shots aren't helpful. There's no need to aggravate a discussion about an already tumultuous situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

"Out of respect for the WWE Universe."

Impossibly broken company. Just a delusional gross statement. Wow.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Holy poo poo the worst person you know etc etc

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Realizing that the last tweets she made before this were just her promoting her ROH and Revolver appearances back in November. She logged on specifically to say this. Wild.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

escape artist posted:

Just for those of us not in the know (me), why is Ronda disliked?

Shared a Sandy Hook truther video and promoted it as an "interesting video", and has made some very transphobic remarks in the past as well.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I had no idea. My condolences. To make this thread when you did while going through that, it's impressive stuff. Thank you again for being such a big help and I hope you'll be okay, same with your friends.

On another note, in news worthy of a sardonic laugh, CM Punk, everybody.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Pylons posted:

Starbucks

Exactly lmao. Great stuff from Mr. Punk. Very counterculture all in all. No notes

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I reiterate: making excuses for this company and this situation won't be tolerated, and neither will storming into a thread where people are expressing disappointment or frustration with how it's being handled and trying to start fights in it. The WWE Universe™ doesn't need a crusader to stop their name from being besmirched on these dead forums. CM Punk won't see you standing up for him, man! But people actually upset or affected directly or indirectly by the largest company to be part of this artform normalizing a culture of sexual assault and trafficking sure will.

Don't be an rear end in a top hat. I don't really care that much if you watch the Rumble. I don't think you should but I can't control you. But don't pretend you're morally correct about it just because you're mad that people are laughing about The Guy Whose Character Is Counterculture Rebel went back to the sex trafficking company and posted a picture of himself drinking coffee from a place that is currently being boycotted for an entirely different reason.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

Have those games even improved much since 13 and the fad of CAW Federations that stream of Twitch or is it all a bunch of FIFA reheat nonsense these days?

It depends on what you're looking for but 2k23 really shook up the gameplay and was really fun, and the story modes were great. The CAW modes have gotten even more intricate with parts, though 2k22 and 23 took out the more intricate and dedicated body morphing options which is a shame but you can still lose hundreds of hours in the creative tools if that's your thing (which during the 2k22 era absolutely was for me). There's been a LOT of changes, some iterative, some more substantial. They're very different games from WWE12 and WWE13 and even 2k14 and 2k19.

...That said, yeah, I was considering getting the new game because I do like the CAW story modes and showcase modes and they're usually worth playing once the price on the game has gotten cheap, but I'm good. Plenty of better games out there.

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 28, 2024

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

little munchkin posted:

He's worked his way to the top of a company where the culture is the show must go on no matter what horrific things just happened, it's pretty ingrained in him at this point and consequences are just a foreign concept.

Obviously the worst example of the Show Must Go On mentality will always be Owen but I'm going back to how absolutely lackluster the show after Bray Wyatt's death was and how it started with a "golly gee the show must go on, we have to entertain :)" monologue. Like, I don't want this to be an X Company Vs Y Company thing but the memories of Jay Briscoe and Brodie Lee hover over AEW, their absences constantly acknowledged. There's this really distressing feeling to how Bray was so quickly given lipservice and moved on from, just another cog in the machine. It's a ghoulish company in so, so many ways.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It all seems to boil down to the earlier discussion that was had in the Podcasts thread that it's so difficult to find the right people to actually do a deep dive into the depths of Vince's depravity on every level because you'd need someone who takes wrestling as seriously as it should be who isn't at risk of being blinded by fandom but also knows enough about the concept of kayfabe and the tremendous bullshit surrounding even talking about the artform and on top of that is willing to actually extract the meat of everything he's done and not stop when they've reached the first layer of horrible things he's done. It's so easy to see him as just a blowhard, just a capitalist, just someone involved in sex crimes, when in many ways that's just the start of it all. Anyone with any interest in this doesn't seem equipped to dig as deeply as they have to. It's all so frustrating.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

There is also a danger for a non wrestling person to not get why Vince has such power over talent and not able to see that part of the picture whereas a Wrestling person may default to "Well that's just wrestling" for somethings

Exactly, it's a whole snare trap. You'd need, I dunno, an expert on cults or something.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The Bill DeMott hazing was truly terrible. Matt Cardona and the jelly donut was a wild, horrifying story. It's just one incident of many - we had so many puzzle pieces, just not all the ways to connect them.

Dawgstar posted:

Bix reminding me on Twitter of the 13 women who went to the Times five-six years ago about Vince but whomever they talked to didn't know anything about wrestling so they didn't think they'd get a fair shake because the person at the Times wouldn't get it.

God it sucks how misunderstood wrestling really is for specifically this reason. Ugh. It all goes down to how difficult it is to uncover all this poo poo because it's trapped in a web of ignorance and smoke and mirrors.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I really hope this is finally it. We've had so many sparks of hope through the years that something would actually be done. I want to believe that now that WWE is far and away not the only game in town we'll get more people speaking up, both employees and abused wrestlers. There's no shortage of stories.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Vintage Johnny Ace, a rat until the end. I hope they all slaughter each other and absolutely everything comes out in a big way. I dare not dream but I am fascinated.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Genuinely nice to hear that it may finally, finally be given the thorough investigation it deserves. I hope they go as deep as they can.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Dango Bango posted:

Was it Vince that wanted to give him a rat gimmick? Or was that someone else?

That wasn't Viktor, Konor was the one who had the rat gimmick, and that was when he was on original NXT as Connor O'Brian. They had segments where he looked for cheese and everything. It was hosed. And almost certainly a Vince thing considering the Christian Blue Dot/"RATTY" story.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Zoobtro posted:

he could've kept all his depraved poo poo behind closed doors forever with his money and power but he went senile and decided to flaunt it. now his grandkids will know the poo poo he did in a building they probably spent fun time in. did anyone in that building, like his daughter and son in law, try to stop this? wtf.

His son-in-law was almost certainly complicit, and his daughter likely was too. The rot goes to the core of the corporation, all the bigwigs knew.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

loving hell, actual justice for Ashley. Never thought I'd see the day.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It was always obvious that spite-booking was a thing and we can joke about the Vader "fat piece of poo poo" promo all we want but it really is horrific and disgusting how prevalent this all is. Jesus Christ. Throwing a tantrum and humiliating talent, megalomaniacal ghoul behavior.

It hurts but I'm glad Ashley is getting some form of justice. Here's hoping it continues.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

You can't even give her any charitable read because when you're that close to the situation there's zero way to misread or not understand the impact of the #JusticeForJanelGrant hashtag. Nearsighted and flippant at best, horrendous at worst.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/ThePrinceMagus/status/1758287227682214113

Unsurprising but it's good that so much is coming out. The story isn't dying.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

If Cena going on and on about how he "loves" Vince isn't proof that Vince ran WWE like a cult leader, then I dunno what is

This is the one very slim concession I'm willing to give these responses. I've witnessed this firsthand in wrestling. They're still bad responses but WWE as a form of cult that you need deprogramming from is something to keep in mind and it's something I doubt the media is ready to tackle even though it should.

The less charitable read is that Cena was directly involved or somehow thinks everything is bullshit, neither of which is a good look.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Drakkel posted:

Strong words from the guy who would walk around backstage with his dick out and and his hand on said dick and would then make people shake his hand that was just touching said dick without their consent

Mr. poo poo-In-Your-Bag himself!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I don't think a young woman who lost her mother to suicide should be judged for venting personal frustrations about who is speaking for her dead mother

Not everything needs to be Posted About but that's not the world we live in. It's good she clarified

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Is that the popcorn snow angel match with Dude Love where they broke Steve Austin? Foley's description of that match is absolutely hilarious. Always wish I could have seen it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

In the end, you're asking a dude who is dying of cancer and grieving his wife and had nothing but terrible people above him abusing their power to "toughen him up" and humiliate him in every way about things like this. I think there's nuance there. I hate to seem like I think he should be let off scot-free or whatever but it's...I dunno, it's just kind of sad and pointless at this point. When you combine how abused he's been and now Vince almost certainly presented his best face to his face (the Paul Bearer heart surgery isn't something that should be overlooked) and how men of his generation and especially in his particular position had to "toughen up" I don't think you're going to get a "good" response. He probably should have just said he wasn't in a position to comment about it.

Again, I'm not excusing JR and he almost certainly was complicit in some aspect even if it was just by being used as a corporate face to fire people or turning a blind eye to obvious issues, but there's a lot to unpack that we're not going to successfully unpack on a dead gay forum any time soon.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

C. Everett Koop posted:

Do you think Vince pooped on JR?

I bet that at some point Vince has also pooped on JR.

Nothing good can come from this post. Quit while you're behind.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Jesus. Nick Khan being named feels big. Hopefully this leads somewhere.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

We should have known the press isn't allowed to depict Triple H in a vulnerable position.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The blatant namedrops of Johnny Ace, Nick Khan, Brad et. al, yeah. The fact that she was forced to constantly write these bizarre "love" screeds she was taking GQ quotes from just to pad out because of Vince's megalomania...really horrible poo poo, and definitely feels like some kind of bombshell.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

:cripes:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

He was brought into the fold to enable him and cover things up, so no.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Ah, I misunderstood. I still think the truth is a lot more complicated than that for sure. A lot of absolutely wild corporate poo poo has happened in the last year-and-a-bit, between the leaving, the hostile takeover, the sale, and now all this.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Just as a reminder, this isn't really the thread for jokes like this:

Literally A Person posted:

The big show isn't that big

Dead comedy forum and all, so I don't mean to make a big deal out of it, but please try to keep this thread focused. Thanks!

And yeah, get their asses. gently caress Vince McMahon and gently caress Dwayne and Cena for keeping in contact like this. Absolutely wild article. Disgusting.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, I really appreciate those posts, Bix. Great breakdown of a lot of parts of the situation that have been hard to break down adequately.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I would really appreciate if the assholes showing up in this thread weren’t given a dozen chances to behave because they know exactly what they’re doing and they don’t give a poo poo.

He was given two. This was the third. He's out. I understand that sometimes I can be too forgiving and I prefer to at least attempt to talk things out like an adult rather than jump to buttons, but that doesn't apply in here.

As if it needs reiterating: this isn't the thread for idle jokes, disingenuous weirdness, or shitstirring. A few dark jokes related to the situation can be fine because this is a dead comedy forum after all provided they're at the expense of the perpetrators but as a whole this is a serious thread that exists to have the appropriate content warnings and tone applied to what should be the biggest story in wrestling possibly ever.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

This isn't a good road to go down. There's a lot that's extremely weird, from the tone that seems to indicate you're looking for specific people to get mad at that aren't the people actually implicated to "stickin' by her man". Please keep your ire directed at the people actually named in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

There's a lot of info in Thurston's tweet thread so I'll quote it for those without Twitter.

quote:

WWE has filed its expected motion to compel arbitration in Grant v. WWE et al.

WWE has also filed a 24-page memorandum in support.

"WWE disputes Grant’s allegations. But, as a threshold matter, this dispute cannot be heard in court because Grant agreed to arbitrate her claims. WWE therefore moves to compel this action to arbitration."

WWE's lawyers: "Simply put, Grant has no claims actionable in this Court because the separation and non-disclosure agreement she signed with McMahon and WWE (the “Agreement”)—the monetary benefits of which she concededly accepted and retained—contains an arbitration provision that unambiguously precludes this Court from adjudicating her claims."

WWE says that the question of what parts of this dispute should be handled in arbitration (as opposed to open court) -- that issue itself should be decided by an arbitrator.

Going to arbitration (which all three defendants are pushing for) would mean the case would move to private mediation and out of public court.

WWE: "[The arbitration] provision [of the Grant-McMahon NDA] requires not only that all claims Grant asserts here be decided in arbitration, but also that the threshold question of the arbitrability of those claims be decided by an arbitrator... The Court need not—and, indeed, should not—consider whether Grant’s claims fall within the scope of the arbitration provision because the Agreement requires the issue of arbitrability to be decided by an arbitrator."

WWE says even if the Court disagrees that arbitrability should be decided by an arbitrator, this should still go to arbitration because the arbitration clause of the NDA states, "[A]ny dispute arising under or out of this Agreement, its construction, interpretation, application, performance, or breach," and that arbitration is the "sole and exclusive legal method to resolve any and all disputes and/or controversies".

WWE argues against Grant's claims that the Speak Out Act and the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protecting Act make the NDA unenforceable because those laws don't pertain to arbitration.

Also, the latest Trish & Sarah Podcast was made before WWE's statement, but they break down and discuss the Laurinaitis comments, the meaning of arbitration, and they bring up a LOT of key details from all the reports that are being attempted to be swept under the rug, lots of good info and talk there.