Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

rotinaj posted:

Sure, but not just from Wwe/TKO. As has been pointed out, nothing from Austin, foley, undertaker, nothing from AEW, nothing from cultaholic, nothing from wrestletalk, POST just got something up shortly ago…

I was expecting to at least see the first few mentions of this story last night, but it feels like it has been moving agonizingly slowly

Why would AEW need to say anything? It's not their company or their business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Joey McChrist posted:

aew really doesn't need to say anything because it would look loving scummy to be running victory laps over someone being sexually assaulted

just... no.

TK should absolutely keep his mouth shut on this matter, if for no other reason than the fact he currently employs Ric Flair.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
None of the owners and representatives of other wrestling companies are going to say anything, primarily because many of them probably have their own skeletons in their own closets that they don't want to get dragged out into the sunlight, and also probably because they don't want to get death threats etc. from rabid Vince stans.

Non-WWE wrestlers aren't going to say anything, because the vast majority of them are probably hoping to work for WWE one day and don't want to burn a bridge.

The only people in the business (ex-WWE or not) who would potentially have anything to say are people who already hate WWE/Vince/HHH/etc., people who are independently wealthy enough that they don't care about burning bridges, or people who just give zero fucks regardless. And a lot of them aren't going to say anything anyway, out of fear of getting sued into oblivion.

Wanting the wrestling industry to speak out against Vince at this time is understandable, but unrealistic.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

super macho dude posted:

Ding Dong The Dingle's Dead

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

sonicice posted:

The Rumble is nearly sold out and it's happening whether you like it or not. Punk has a job to do so I don't find it that unreasonable that he's watching old rumble matches to prepare for that.

I'd like to see what some of you would do put in his position and not just sitting in front of your computer angry posting about it. I'm just sure you would all quit your jobs immediately and burn the world's supply of Slim Jims. :rolleyes:

E: on second thought, :golfclap: is all your post deserves

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
It is nice that the most rabid of fed stans can't help but to run in here and Stand Up For Known Rapists and Sex Traffickers and Unprincipled Sellouts WWE

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Punk's a complete sellout, any shred of respect anyone ever had left for him should be completely gone, after this week

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Personally I'd find it offensive after this, if Punk came out wearing a "Believe Women" or "#MeToo" shirt or whatever

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

rotinaj posted:

Folks have laid out an at least convincing to me case for why punk might be too broke not to wrestle and make the millies he could undoubtedly get from tko

He mc hammer'd himself

I'm not a Hammer fan in any way, but I can respect that he got back out there and worked hard to get himself back up from being broke. Punk just threw his principles and beliefs out the window the minute he needed a paycheck.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Dawgstar posted:

Which is funny because wasn't the story for ages Punk was super frugal?

I forget whether it was during the now-infamous podcast with Colt, or elsewhere, but Punk once said words to the effect of how "if you can't live comfortably off of $20 million, then you've got problems".

Going to guess that a bigger chunk of that $20 million got eaten up in legal fees than he'd originally anticipated (to say nothing of the $4 million house out in L.A. he bought, so he could be closer to producers looking to cast him in their next direct-to-streaming project).

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Orange Carlisle posted:

cody defending the cult and saying other locker rooms are worse in the same response is amazing

literal raping and trafficking was happening around him likely throughout his entire career that he had to have known about but hey, we're a family here

Good to know that Cody's got no problems being a huge piece of poo poo in order to ingratiate himself with his WWE bosses

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Remembering that Johnny Ace literally ordered Kelly Kelly (and other women in WWE in the mid 2000s) from a catalog of models he had on his desk

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Netflix already throws millions of dollars at Dave Chappelle to promote homophobia and transphobia, so it's not at all surprising they're willing to keep the deal they made with the rapist company.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

JUNGLE BOY posted:

what the absolute gently caress

IIRC, at the time it was thought that GHB would provide athletes some benefits in regards to cutting weight/building muscle, though I believe that link has been pretty clearly disproven. I think it was one of the drugs that contributed to Rick Rude's death, as he was trying to get back in shape for an in-ring return at the time.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
John Laurinaitis turning into Henry Hill is not an angle I expected this saga to take, but I'm here for it

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

bartok posted:

Was anyone into those bikini contest and gravy matches besides Vince and his buddies back in the day? Even as a horny teen I never found it titillating just made me embarrassed to be a wrestling fan.

Vince has only ever booked to please an audience of one: himself.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Drakkel posted:

Truly wild seeing these wrestling fossils who are like basically one rung down the "Being horrible to women" ladder from Vince suddenly being like "Oh yeah that guys a fuckin' creep"

I don't think it's a stretch to imagine that a lot of them absolutely hate Vince for expanding the WWF in the 1980s and hastening the demise of the territories; and so are being gleeful over his downfall, regardless of whether they ever worked for him or not.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Saddened but not surprised that Nash had this take.

Ganso Bomb posted:

Not that I’m surprised because almost every wrestler reveals themselves to be a piece of poo poo

Pretty much, yeah. I think people better be steeling themselves for some more traditionally liked (if not beloved) wrestlers having some absolutely poo poo-hot takes on this whole thing (emphasis on the "poo poo" part of that phrase).

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 10, 2024

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Pylons posted:

She still works for them, she's just co-opting a hashtag people are using to signal boost Janel Grant and Ashley Massaro.

That's loving disgusting, quite frankly

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

rotinaj posted:

Melina/morrison/batista were another story, that people thought a main eventer like Batista deserved a lady like Melina and not Johnny nitro

The locker room was gross and I hope it is not like that anymore

That's apparently how a lot of wrestling locker rooms have been over the years, sadly. I vaguely remember hearing about how some promoters used to keep women wrestlers on staff, not because they were great wrestlers or big money draws, but because they wanted to have some women around for "the boys", so they wouldn't potentially get into trouble going to bars and picking up local women after the show. Wrestling's been a scummy business for a very long time.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

stab posted:

Also didn't help that Sam Houston was a major gently caress up too

I mean with his upbringing he never stood a chance

That doesn't really have any bearing on "Dusty got mad at Baby Doll for marrying a midcarder", though?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

stab posted:

Dusty got mad for her marrying a drunk maybe?

Given the frankly staggering amount of drunks and drug addicts that came through the NWA during Dusty's reign in the 1980s, I'm going to have to guess that he didn't give two shits about anyone's extracurricular activities.

At the time, Baby Doll was in main event programs with Tully and Dusty (and later Flair), so he was likely pissed that not only did she get married (which, if it got out, made it harder to push her in kayfabe as the ultimate object of desire like Dusty had been doing), but that she didn't even marry a top-level guy (that he could have worked a program with where they "stole" BD). He likely viewed it as the rasslin' equivalent of marrying beneath her station. Houston's personal life and related fuckups probably never even entered into it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Good God, Vince really did a loving number on Cena's head, didn't he

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
If Cena going on and on about how he "loves" Vince isn't proof that Vince ran WWE like a cult leader, then I dunno what is

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Alan_Shore posted:

Why is Nash canceled for his comments but people are bending over backwards to justify Cena's pretty awful defense of Vince?

I'm not justifying anything, what Cena said is still loving awful and should rightly be mocked and condemned.

With that said, I also don't think Nash ever got the "cult leader" treatment from Vince the way Cena did, so in theory Nash should know better, because he's made no secret of the fact that wrestling was just a means of getting paid to him. He wasn't an adherent to the WWE Cult the way someone like Cena was (and evidently still is).

Obviously, Cena should know better also, because he's a grown man; but even guys like Mox have commented on how difficult it can be to get out of the "WWE mindset".

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'm not sure who you're referring to here but I'm guessing people might be more lenient towards Cena because he's a current mainstream star and one of the faces of not just WWE but wrestling in general. Nash was obviously a big star at one point too, but he's not exactly "current" in the same way. As such, certain groups are going to take criticism of Cena's defence of Vince (or, worse yet, accusations that he was directly involved) as an attack on their love of WWE/wrestling/something else that Cena's been in. It's incredibly stupid but it's been an Internet thing for years, and it's only gotten worse with regards to wrestling in recent times.

The wording probably has a lot to do with it too. Cena, as is typical for him, speaks in lawyer-friendly terms, while Nash was ignorant and offensive with what he said. I know what you mean though, both can certainly be as bad as the other with regards to covering up someone's crimes.

Also I seem to recall that in Nash's case, there was a certain amount of him trying to stick up for his boy HHH in his ignorant comments, rather than just trying to defend Vince. Which is even dumber, but there we are.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

UnleashedDad posted:

I think we can firmly put Cena not only in the "knew what's up" category but also in "partook and is hoping nothing else comes out". That's a man that is flailing unnecessarily if I ever saw one. He's got a guilty mind.

Yeah, I think there's going to be some pretty dark revelations coming out of this, in regards to Cena.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Cena is a piece of garbage who hides behind his aw shucks positivity bullshit in order to run cover for some of the most toxic insane psychos in the industry, this isn't a new thing with him.

I seem to recall a story about Cena in the mid-2000s, where he was cheating on his then-wife with Mickie James; at some point either his wife found out, or Mickie started pushing for him to leave his wife and have a more serious relationship with her...and then Mickie was moved to whatever show Cena wasn't on, before being released altogether not very long after. That's in addition to him reportedly doing the usual jock rear end in a top hat stuff, like going to bars with other wrestlers and daring each other to bang the lady they thought was the ugliest/heaviest/etc. (again, while he was still married). Granted, that's nowhere near the level of Vince's crimes, but Cena's been a lovely jock for a very long time, good guy image be damned.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Sammy being aggressive in asking out a waitress and following her to her car when he was 20 is bad but also small in comparison and feels off topic. The Sasha stuff was gross and stupid but also small in comparison.

The Sasha stuff was apparently considered bad enough that he got yanked off TV for a while and I believe he was ordered to complete sensitivity training. I hadn't heard about the waitress thing, but if it did happen, then it's still not good because it sounds like he wouldn't take no for an answer.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 21, 2024

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

ARMBAR A COP posted:

imagine still watching the wwe

You have to, in order to support all the good people that still work there

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Majinfoose posted:

It should be required listening to the three people that still watch WWE in earnest here. But also yes, should be beamed into people's minds. Always appreciate your work MRT

Where's that one goon who said it was "ridiculous" that Vince would brag about his crimes, or that he was just bragging about fantasies he had, sure would like to read their piping hot takes right about now

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

SirPhoebos posted:

Ah yes, good people like....

We joke, but there are at least a couple of goons who unironically used "I'm supporting the good people" as their justification for why they won't stop watching WWE.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Craptacular! posted:

Thank you for all the information that definitely moves it from 'probably' to 'well yeah', but for the majority of that it kind of its into what I'm saying was that from the fifties to the end of Reaganism, being gay in large parts of the country was illegal, and in the context of that era you either lived in a big city with a queer scene or you lived essentially in the darkness and frequently did things that were Not Good, and would still be illegal today but also back then your entire existence was illegal. Gay men from that generation often had a reputation/stereotype for unwanted advances and attempted assaults, in large part due to coming of age in a time where you had to break rules because the rules were written so that you died lonely and alone. A good number of men were from that men are/were molesters, but the system at the time was producing molesters. That said, you don't need an act of a legislature to tell you to not be sexually involved with children; that's just some good old human consciousness where what's right and wrong is evident and law only provides specifics.

Like I said, it's a double standard, and I was just explaining why I personally process it that way and I understand it sucks and some people aren't going to like it. I just think if one is coming into a thread like this and excusing sexual assault, and I'm not going to disavow my thought exercise could be charged as such, then you need to be really loving clear about the reasons. I certainly don't think Patterson is any angel but a lot of that is not inconsistent with gay men of that era. It's not my generation, but I grew up in a neighborhood around old generation gays (I later realized who they were because my parents gave me non-specific warnings about being alone with them) that I'm well aware of how decades of being designated as mentally deranged outlaws for their sexuality affected their behavior. That groomer ring announcer can burn, though.

I'm grateful to not be a part of that era. The mid to late 90s were already scary enough.

I'm sorry, but your last two posts read like you're saying "he was a product of his times" as a way to excuse or rationalize his behavior. He was a man who used his power and influence to extort subordinates for favors in the workplace. That is just wrong, regardless of his sexual preference or the social conditions of the time he grew up in.

It's like Whoopi Goldberg constantly defending Roman Polanski for raping a teenage girl in the 1970s by saying "times were different" or "things are different where he came from" or whatever, when the underlying fact is this: it was wrong for him to do that back then, and it's still wrong for him to have done it now. The same applies to Patterson.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

davidbix posted:

This is not a defense of Whoopi, as her comments are a bunch of different flavors of awful regardless, but it's something that I feel is important to note whenever her comments about Polanski come up: On top of everything else, she was just flat-out wrong about the facts of the case. She thought it was "just" a statutory rape case (hence the infamous "it wasn't 'RAPE'-rape" line) when, in actuality, it was explicitly a forcible rape case as well.

Not to prolong this derail, but it frankly astounds me that so much of Hollywood can't line up fast enough to kiss Polanski's rear end, when (as you say) he quite literally forcibly raped a teenage girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

KungFu Grip posted:

never have hopes [...] you will be let down