Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

XYZAB posted:

Oh, on that note, can anybody tell me what the yellow string is seen hanging from the forward fuselage of the plane in several shots? In a couple of the earlier scenes I thought it was laminar flow oil leaking from somewhere, but it definitely isn't.

Example:

I went through and looked for it and at first I thought it might be some kind of grounding cable but it can't be because it doesn't go all the way to the ground.

Then I think I found the answer: A whole bunch of photos of B-17s on display at airshows have a cord hanging from the nose in roughly the same place and wrapped around the handle for the nose hatch, presumably to keep it from being closed. I don't see it on wartime photos of B-17s though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Cojawfee posted:

He intended to land it, not just crash with his buddy just because.

Both times he tried crash landing he came up short of his intended landing area. Bailing out would have been a better choice.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Phenotype posted:

I don't understand why they did this, though. I mean, you've planned this massive air attack, oh gently caress the majority of them can't get off the ground today... isn't that an easy choice to postpone the mission? I don't understand why the idea of sending only 1/3 of the planes was even on the table.

LeMay's force was expected to have to fight its way in anyway, so he opted to go ahead and bomb Regensburg since his wing drawing fighter attack was the plan to begin with. The real dumb move was not scrapping the raid on Schweinfurt once it was clear the plan had gone to hell. Instead the Luftwaffe was able to land, refuel and rearm, then take off and savage the Schweinfurt raid too.

For what it's worth, though, it's not like LeMay was making this decision from the comfort of his desk. He flew the lead bomber.

Edit: For clarity, gently caress Curtis LeMay forever but credit where it's due, he flew his share of missions.

McNally fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 3, 2024

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Cojawfee posted:

But they could likely fix these things in 20 years when the show gets remastered for 8k or whatever. They could re-render the gun barrels without the sight posts and the K3 gunsight could just have the filter and the range finder sight added in.

This is 1000% not going to happen, they're just going to re-do the CGI with the exact same mistakes and add all new mistakes of their own.

When they remastered From the Earth to the Moon I thought to myself "I wonder if they'll fix the CG mistake that one of the fx guys fessed up to in an online chat back in 1998." When the retrorocket package on Alan Shepard's flight fired in the first episode, the CG showed all three firing at once when in reality they fired sequentially.

In the new CG, they still fire all at once. And then it shows the spacecraft falling back towards the coast of Florida instead of the middle of the Atlantic.

They also modeled the spacecraft off the one at the Udvar-Hazy annex of the Air and Space Museum, which has an extended duration consumables kit attached to the retrorocket package that was never used on any Mercury flight.

Also in several of the shots showing the Earth from the moon, they made an utterly incomprehensible error where the terminator crosses the surface going east/west instead of north/south. Daytime in North America, nighttime in South America. Just... what?

McNally fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 11, 2024

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
All the B-17s still flying are G models, how is it this hard for them?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Arc Hammer posted:

I dont care how many times they go up-diddly-up-up they're still gits.

Oh, come on, sir! I'd love to be a flyer, up there where the air is clear!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
They weren't called the Bloody 100th because they liked their steaks rare, after all.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
The rivets on the B-17 weren't flush or recessed, they protruded. That might factor in.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

vuk83 posted:

But not painting, wouldn't it lead to more maintenance cause by rusting?

In addition to a lack of concern about the long-term weathering issues, aluminum is not really known for rust.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Cojawfee posted:

Wikipedia says it's a miniseries.Though I wouldn't mind another season focusing on other things in the air war, like a fighter squadron. I've always wondered what it was like early in the war where the fighters would follow to the coast of Europe and then pretty much have to turn back because they didn't have the fuel to loiter over there. Then the D model mustangs show up that allow them to fly deep into Germany to protect the bombers. Did the fighters get much action early in the war? It seems like they have to turn back before the bombers even get near any flak.

The B and C Mustangs had basically the same range as the D, so really it was the appearance of the Merlin-engine P-51 around late 1943 that did it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Oasx posted:

I honestly have no idea how the navigator can figure out where the planes are, i'm old enough to remember a time before GPS, but even then I hated maps.

They had a bunch of instruments to allow them to measure things like wind and heading which, in turn, allowed them to measure their groundspeed. Groundspeed + heading + time = location, provided you knew where you were at one point.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Officer serial numbers began with the letter O, not zero. It's a minor nitpick but goddamn their accuracy is all over the loving place.

just like the Norden bombsight

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
If their B-17's so great then where's my goddamned G models?

(j/k they built amazing mockups and when I win the lotto I'm going to have one in my backyard)

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I particularly didn't like Barry Keoghan's character dying off screen all for the sake of making the viewer think Buck is also dead. Felt very cheap.

Off screen? We watched his plane hit the ground and then explode. Did you want his head to fly into the camera or something?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I've been reading Crosby's book and if anyone feels bad about keeping names straight, know that Crosby said the 100th had four guys named Bucky.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Arc Hammer posted:

And then they somehow managed to film a sex scene with them lying sideways three feet apart.

dang dude was hung

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

CubanMissile posted:

I wondered that myself. Westgate wasn’t a real person so it’d be weird to have him portrayed as a cheater if he wasn’t, especially with the “This man was the greatest father and husband of all time.” bio at the end credits.

Westgate was based on Alexandra Wingate in Crosby's memoir and while he never flat out said "we banged constantly," it was pretty clear that he was doing more than meeting her for dinner and drinks.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Arc Hammer posted:

So I get why the tuskeegee airman was able to identify an incoming P51 by the sound of its engine but don't the Mustangs share the same Merlin engine with dozens of different British aircraft?

D model Mustangs also made a distinct whistling noise, supposedly because of airflow over the gun ports.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Cojawfee posted:

This show is really embarrassing and the only thing keeping me from being really pissed is that it will likely be possible for someone to come back years from now and update the effects to be accurate. It will likely never happen, but a lot of the mistakes seem to be fixable. You can't fix the story, but they could at least make it look right some day.

It will absolutely, positively never ever happen.

When From the Earth to the Moon came out in 1998 one of the effects artists posted about a mistake he'd made in the first episode: When Freedom 7's retrorockets fired, he showed them firing simultaneously instead of sequentially.

When they remastered From the Earth to the Moon in HD, not only did they keep the error, they introduced all new ones. Really loving stupid ones, too.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

George H.W. oval office posted:

That Earth looks big as hell and kinda wonky looking.

It's big because I cropped and zoomed to show you that it's 90 degrees off axis

Protip: If it's daytime in Libya, it's also daytime in South Africa.

It's one of the most famous photographs in human history and they completely and utterly hosed it up.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Mr. Grapes! posted:

The scene in the movie Fury is laughable because Brad Pitt and his friends all decide to stay and defend their stricken Sherman because the old girl has been with them so long. No loving way it was.

I'm pretty sure they explicitly say "we're the only thing between the division's rear lines and a battalion of SS so we need to stay and fight."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
To be additionally pedantic, he isn't sent back to the states. The parachute school he runs is at Chilton Foliat, roughly halfway between London and Bristol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
The German populace was far more complicit in the war crimes of the Nazi government than popularly believed.

The key to hang onto is the scene in Band of Brothers where Webster angrily asks the German baker "are you going to tell me that you never smelt the loving stench?"

They didn't not know. They didn't want to know.

I know I'm painting with a wide brush here but, like the post above me says, maybe it's ok to not humanize them right now.

edit: Post above the post above me, now.