Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
I can excuse the characters for now but if in 2 more episodes they still feel as flat and lacking of pathos as they currently do, it'll be a rough watch personally.

What I can't really excuse is this

XYZAB posted:

One scene at an airfield will feel completely real and in-world, and the next, there’s a very obvious mismatch between the absolute black points of the subject and the background it’s being composited into. And that mismatch seems emphasised by a kind of gaussian blur filter that’s been applied to the CGI rendered parts of the scenes alone (whether whole or in part), like a bad Snapchat filter to hide wrinkles.

The bolded bit leaps out here:

If each episode truly has the reported budget of around $30 million, the current CGI is inexcusable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Eason the Fifth posted:

Oh I gotcha, sorry I misread. The Pacific did do the washed-out look too, and sometimes it didn't always work. Not giving MotA a pass since it's 14 years later and much more money, but the Pacific had some particularly bad-looking CGI shots:

Yeah there are a few terrible shots in The Pacific, my main gripe with the effects shots in MotA is that there are some great environment shots but any shots with planes on the ground is glaringly bad....in a show about planes.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

drunkill posted:

That episode was way too short, too many things happening right after eachother with just a 'four hours later' subtitle between events. About 40 minutes minus credits and intro titles. HBO got a solid ~55 for BOB and The Pacific and those aired on broadcast television, Apple cheaping out with a short edit on a streaming platform.

Yeah felt way too short and feel like some stretched run time in the after action, worrying about fuel supply and giving space for the characters to converse and develop a bit in the cramped space could've increased tension and made the episode even better than it was.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Oasx posted:

Why could the bombers we saw take off in the fog, but the other bombers couldn't? It seemed like it screwed up the whole operation.

I'm pretty sure we saw the planes radio each other in a previous episode, but in this one, everyone seemed to rely on visual evidence to see who bailed out and what was going on, did I miss anything?

Radio silence.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Outside of Rosenthal, Buck, Egan, Crosby and Barry Keoghan's character I can't really name anyone.

What was Barry Keoghan's character's name anyway?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Batcat posted:

Crosby's Requiem for a Dream meltdown felt like it came from a completely different series.

That sequence stuck out like a sore thumb, especially the bit of him going normal speed and everyone sped up around him. I tried to picture them doing something like that in BoB and it just wouldn't have happened.

Edit: How do you have Ncuti Gatwa so criminally underused as well

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 9, 2024

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Was Crosby fighting monsters what made him sleep with spy lady?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I bet the unaired episode where she helps Rosie get back from occupied France, the luftwaffe gets baited into the air, and the TGA defend some bombers was really cool

Release the Orloff Cut

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

This thread is my solace. I'm in a BoB/The Pacific group on FB that's primarily for memes and I feel insane with how much love the show is getting

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Something that always bothered me in BoB, what was Bull chowing down on when he was stuck in that Dutch stable? He opened up the butt of his rifle, and where the tube of oil is meant to be, he pulls out something and bites into it. I figure its meant to be a cigar, but a cigar is not chewing tobacco, it would be awful to chew on. Some kind of breadstick or ration thingy?

It's a bit of cigar, dude is jonesing for some nicotine and can't light up.

That or a plug of chewing tobacco

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

It's honestly astounding that the "Every important guy in Hitler's inner circle gets their own little army they get to raise up and do stuff with" wasn't a very efficient model of running a military. Even more surprising that culling entire groups when one of the little guys fell out of favor also hindered their efforts.

Yeah, there's a reason why you have to laugh at any one that says "well Germany could've won if x y and z". Due to structural issues like you mentioned and the reality of fighting, Germany was already heading down the road to defeat in 1941 and had basically sealed their fate by 1943.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Darth Brooks posted:

Whoever said that Germans weren't great engineers, they were just perfectionist was spot on.

I can't remember the exact lifespan and it may be apocryphal but the USSR found that the average combat lifespan of a T34 was measured days or weeks so just pump them out and don't focus on perfecting manufacturing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

Also band of brothers gives sobel a bad rap because Ambrose didn't bother to interview outside of easy company.

His story is absolutely tragic. Tries to commit suicide in the 70s but fails...bullet severs his optic nerve leaving him completely blind. Gets put into a VA facility and dies of malnutrition under their care, buried without any services whatsoever