Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Miscellaneous Racing Series 2024: Rexy's Return

This is the Misc. Racing Thread, home for discussion of all kinds of racing that aren't Formula 1, IndyCar, or NASCAR. Feel free to post about sports car racing, touring cars, rallying, off-road racing, motocross (hi Windyman), and anything else you can think of. So much good racing is available to watch (especially online officially) that we can share and discuss while enjoying speedy race cars.

So what kind of racing are you talking about here, then?

We (and specifically I) talk a lot about sports-car racing. Its the racing, primarily on permanent road and temporary street courses, of cars which come closest in design and spirit to street cars. And at the top of sports cars are whats called prototypes -- single-seat racers with closed tops and fenders. The Grand Prix cars of long-distance racing.

But this is a place for all sorts of series: Australian Supercars, Japanese Super GT and Super Formula, the World Rally Championship, Supercross (I will get murdered if I don't mention or watch Supercross), and more.

Why should I care about sports car racing?

Theres a wide variety -- of cars, drivers, locations, and of race distances. Its where your favorite drivers from Formula 1, IndyCar and NASCAR past will wind up. Races are often long (6-, 12- and 24-hour races are not uncommon), and feature multiple types (classes) of car racing on the same track but in individual class battles alongside the overall ranking. The world of sports car racing tends to be friendlier and more approachable than other parts, while still attracting many colorful characters.

Okay. So what's new for 2024?
Holy poo poo, last year delivered. Between the new Hypercars in the World Endurance Championship and the full refresh of IMSA to the GTP era, the prototype racing absolutely kicked it into gear in 2023. Ferrari wound up winning Le Mans, breaking Toyota's streak, though the Japanese squad did take home the full-season awards in the WEC. Over in IMSA, each of the four manufacturers won a race, and the championship battle went down to the final round at Petit Le Mans. So, job done on the prototype front.

Which brings us to GTs. Last year was the final season in WEC for the GTE-class cars, changing this year to GT3-spec cars. While this means an end to a unique and dying breed of purpose-built cars, it also means nine - N I N E - different manufacturers will be competing in the WEC in the LM GT3 class, including the brand new Ford Mustang GT3 and re-worked Corvette C8 GT3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLhf-eYHuSw

And aside from that shift in the WEC, we do have some more new cars in new places:

• BMW are joining the WEC with WRT, as planned, though Valentino Rossi isn't in the Hypercar but a M4 GT3 for the full season.
  • Lamborghini is joining with one car each in the WEC and IMSA endurance calendar.
  • Alpine will have two cars in the WEC this year, the new A424 LMDh car, and one of the drivers is none other than Mick Schumacher

So, what are the series I should know?

The FIA World Endurance Championship is the highest level of sports-car racing. Its an FIA World Championship, same as Formula 1 and the World Rally Championship, which means a lot. The WEC schedule includes the 24 Hours of Le Mans, which means almost as much, if not more, as Le Mans remains a hugely popular event and a major marketing point for all these big manufacturers. The WEC features LM Hypercar cars and a GT class, with LMP2 cars joining for Le Mans only, and is pretty fun to watch. Its season is back to running during the calendar year, and though the first race is moved from Sebring to Portugal, it will continue on as a global championship this year.

Alongside the WEC is IMSA, which is based mainly in the United States but almost equal to the WEC in terms of longevity and prestige. Its a US and Canadian-based series, but many teams and drivers will also compete at Le Mans on an annual basis. IMSA also has a number of high-profile races: endurance epics include the 24 Hours of Daytona in January, the Sebring 12 Hours in March, and Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta in October, plus marquee shorter races at Long Beach, Road America, and more.

Other regional series which are directly under the WEC and ACO (who co-organize the WEC along with the FIA) include the European Le Mans Series and Asian Le Mans Series, which both act as feeders of a sort to the World Endurance Championship and 24 Hours of Le Mans. There's no direct relegation/promotion, but teams gain experience in the regional series and sometimes step up to the WEC; also, all of IMSA, Asian Le Mans and European Le Mans all receive invites to the 24 Hours of Le Mans annually.

But there are other series in this sports car world! Many of them fall under a sports car rulebook called GT3. These are cars made by big companies (Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, Nissan, Audi, McLaren) which are sold to customers. GT3 cars are expected to be balanced to achieve a similar level of performance -- in theory, a driver could take each of those cars around a track and get roughly the same lap time.

This has led to a boom in series aimed to customers, as the cars are relatively affordable, well-built, fairly easy to drive (especially compared to customer cars from the 1970s and 80s) and eligible to race in a lot of exciting events. The 24 Hours races at Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium and the Nurburgring in Germany, and also the 12 Hours of Bathurst in Australia are highlights for GT3-type racing worldwide.

Great! So how/when do I watch?

First, you need to know when a race is! Custard Undies recommended this link to Motorsport.com's schedule for racing series. Use it, learn it, love it.

Because the sports-car world is so diverse, theres a lot to watch. Happily, much of it is readily available online or even via YouTube.

• WEC: It has a streaming app/website for live events, and a YouTube channel for replays which are arriving pretty quickly these days. Note: Included as part of MotorTrend's streaming app in the U.S., so the WEC streaming app is blacked out. Boo!
  • 24 Hours of Le Mans: Part of the above WEC package, but also has plenty of coverage for free via YouTube and other partner streams.
  • IMSA: For live coverage, from 2019 IMSA is partnering with NBC in the U.S., will have live coverage on various NBC channels, and IMSA Radio is always free and excellent. They've now added an IMSA-specific NBC Gold package for US coverage which will be rolled into Peacock, while coverage outside the U.S. will depend on the market. Also check out the YouTube channel afterwards. Outside of the U.S.? IMSA TV provides free coverage using the IMSA Radio audio. Should also be visible via http://imsaradio.com. This also includes the lower-level series that IMSA also has, including the Michelin Pilot Challenge, Lamborghini Supertrofeo, Prototype Challenge, etc.
  • European and Asian Le Mans Series: These both stream free, AsLMS via YouTube.
  • Formerly known as Blancpain GT Series: Online via YouTube
  • Super GT: It's not the heyday of Radio Le Mans covering the series, but their YouTube does have free streams and race replays up if you're patient.
  • Other events: Most all of these have some free streaming component, which we put in the thread as they come up.

Recommended Links/Follows

• Racer -- racer.com -- Good coverage of American racing
  • Daily Sports Car -- dailysportscar.com -- Great coverage of all sports car series

Other questions? Reach out and ask! Recommendations? Please suggest and we'll try to add them in.

Come join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/kg3d2Uu

Misc Threads of the Past
Misc. Racing Thread 2023: Home of True Passione
Misc. Racing Thread 2022: H-Sample Test Phase
Misc. Racing Thread 2021: Shifting to H Intensifies
Misc Racing Thread 2020: Put it in H!
Misc Racing Thread 2019: I woke up to a smoking hulk
Misc Auto Racing 2018: Mazda gonna Mazda
Misc Auto Racing 2017: gently caress off Whincup
Misc Auto Racing 2016 : Downgraded From Silver Posters to Bronze
Misc Auto Racing 2015: At least our criminals are non-violent
Misc Auto Racing 2014: So long and thanks for all the McNish
Misc Auto Racing 2013: Beware: Ferrari Ahead
Misc. Auto Racing 2012: No War But Class War
Sportscars 2011: Racing with Class (ILMC/ALMS/GrandAm)
2011 Daytona 24 Hours
2010 Daytona 24 Hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

[reserved in case for more details]

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Y'all know what week it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWnzfA9AqrA

Already plenty on track, let's see what YouTube already holds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IAUCVmwKSI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wtmeAdjPDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H9nRX2L3gU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LoMHJx-V4Q (RIP Gil :smith: )

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I personally would die for rexy

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I hope America does well with the mustang and Corvette gt3 :911: :911: :911: :911:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

le mans is the best race in the world and this year is looking like it's gonna be a doozy. can't wait.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Looking forward to some Super GT this April.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

looks like they split the schedule url into two different ones

live events: https://www.motorsport.com/all/schedule/2024/live/
upcoming events: https://www.motorsport.com/all/schedule/2024/upcoming/

live has this weeks racing, while upcoming is split up into months

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Is the Discord link in the OP dead for anyone else?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Let's gooooo

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

The Mx5 races were so good.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

At the 24, pretty neat

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I will forever defiantly insist on the relevance of the WRC :colbert:

Monte Carlo is on this weekend, no Kalle yet though. Elfyn Evans is off to a good start, maybe this could finally be his year? The hyundai team looks pretty stacked this year, toyota has their usual roster of solid drivers. Ford is now led by... Adrien Fourmaux

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

lamentable dustman posted:

At the 24, pretty neat

Awesome!

VPN this year so Ive got the full feed with no commercials. What a world of difference compared to Peacock.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Watching and posting from home with multiple monitors and timing71.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bloopsy posted:

Awesome!

VPN this year so Ive got the full feed with no commercials. What a world of difference compared to Peacock.

NBC showed like five minutes of green flag racing before going to an ad break, and even when they came back they ignored the race in favor of a history lesson and a studio segment. They have the worst motor racing coverage. Show the loving race!

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

wicka posted:

NBC showed like five minutes of green flag racing before going to an ad break, and even when they came back they ignored the race in favor of a history lesson and a studio segment. They have the worst motor racing coverage. Show the loving race!

Yeah, after last year I said no more. I ended up muting the Peacock feed last year and just piped in the IMSA Radio feed which still sucked because I would get race audio with McDonalds commercials or some other crap on screen. So many commercials.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the quality of this racing broadcast is legitimately embarrassing. the fact that i paid money for this is embarrassing to myself as well. fuckin scam.

contrasting this with wec coverage is something i can't even come up with a metaphor for. christ gently caress american racing coverage.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

net work error posted:

I hope America does well with the mustang and Corvette gt3 :911: :911: :911: :911:

Well one of them lasted nearly 10 minutes.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the quality of this racing broadcast is legitimately embarrassing. the fact that i paid money for this is embarrassing to myself as well. fuckin scam.

contrasting this with wec coverage is something i can't even come up with a metaphor for. christ gently caress american racing coverage.
TV stream (preferably without commercials) plus RLM is the only way.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Do we think we could remember for even 1 second this is a 24 hour race and not lap 1 turn 1 in a Forza public sprint lobby?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

doesn't fix the problem of constant interrupts of other random poo poo that has nothing to do with imsa or talking heads taling up a third of the screen

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Katherine Legge's accent has reached "Valley girl" after this long in the USA :D

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Fun to see all the dentists after they "Graduated" up to LMP2 getting right back to doing what they do best!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Yeah thats the IMSA.tv international video feed. Looks like an upgraded player from last year, too.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

harperdc posted:

Yeah thats the IMSA.tv international video feed. Looks like an upgraded player from last year, too.

Yeah using a VPN to get that is the way to go. Peacock is unwatchable at points.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Ligier doing exactly as well as you'd expect someone enough of a dickhead to put "Blue Lives" on a car would.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Dudley posted:

Ligier doing exactly as well as you'd expect someone enough of a dickhead to put "Blue Lives" on a car would.

Lol thats a bummer, always sucks to be reminded of the prevailing culture of motorsports is a pretty lovely one.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I got up early enough to see sunlight this year!

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Great work as always on the new thread :)

Been enjoying the race so far, just have it on in the background now though

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

doesn't fix the problem of constant interrupts of other random poo poo that has nothing to do with imsa or talking heads taling up a third of the screen

VPN is basically mandatory in the good ole US of A.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYyH0AGVJ9U

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Also most IMSA and WEC races get rebroadcast on twitch, easy mode. I think it being free in most of the world means it doesn't get blocked or copyright stricken for whatever reason.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

a classic of the genre

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Fixed.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I love the Rolex 24 so much. Waking up and the top 3 are still within 3 seconds of each other.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Katherine Legge is 42 and has 12 rolex 24 starts, and she outqualied her RLL teammates at the indy 500 last year. pretty cool.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Lel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I ain't have a lot of faith in that wheel nut