Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

its the Race Director's job to patiently explain to people that even if they did pay a lot of money, they're still not allowed to set themselves on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The Toyota being second is somewhat surprising.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

The Toyota being second is somewhat surprising.

the Marshall Pruett podcast ep that was the WEC preview episode this week has Goodwin and Kilbey on it includes them taking the piss out of Toyota, because the GR team is insisting they won't be favorites in Hypercar this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obcv6LXKjEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvm_kef0JE0

second just in case you want that Formula 1 Q3-style drama, Hyperpole having it is a huge step up this year.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Hymn time, race starts in about ten minutes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Race is now 7 laps in, there's already been a car spinning, a different car in the pits, and now a new Mustang losing its rear deck lid

Sportscar racing fans, we are eatin' good now. 19 drat hypercars.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

harperdc posted:

Race is now 7 laps in, there's already been a car spinning, a different car in the pits, and now a new Mustang losing its rear deck lid

Sportscar racing fans, we are eatin' good now. 19 drat hypercars.

Lambo and Isotta are the new glick and bykolles/vanwall. Let's be honest and say 17 :)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

peugeot gonna abandon their plans to put a wing on the 9x8

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Lambo and Isotta are the new glick and bykolles/vanwall. Let's be honest and say 17 :)

Lamborghini will be fine, just this year they only have two cars total so might struggle to dial that thing in.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

peugeot gonna abandon their plans to put a wing on the 9x8

I can’t remember which of the WEC commentary crew phrased it this way but suggesting the Peugeot is designed for smooth track, long straights and medium/high-speed cornering at Le Mans, and that’s what they have here…and it seems to also be more reliable. In theory.

It would be very funny for the Peugeot to win this round.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

harperdc posted:

It would be very funny for the Peugeot to win this round.

Muller failed to keep the position so it's a Porsche lead car now.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

peugeot :negative:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Peugeot is somehow more cursed than Alpain. Very good race btw, i would suggest people to grab a VOD recording if they watched formula 1 instead.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

lmao RIP peugeot

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

razorscooter posted:

lmao RIP peugeot

Depending on the stewards kindness of heart, it could still score as 7th.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

harperdc posted:

Lamborghini will be fine, just this year they only have two cars total so might struggle to dial that thing in.

Kind of weird that Lambo went with the Ligier chassis, since VW Group-mate Porsche went with Multimatic

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Watched the hilights and I'm glad we are back even if it isn't the 1000 miles of Sebring that doesn't run 12 hours.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I haven’t brought myself to watch the last hour, think I’ll try tonight.

And yeah man even just the churning through first 5-6 hours was excellent, proper racing and strategy stuff. Very good endurance racing. Can’t wait for the 6-hour races and for IMSA’s sprints as well.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

SlowBloke posted:

Tbf, despite starting at the back, the Isotta was on the lead lap after a grand prix worth of time. It's not so far off and it's always easier to make something reliable than quick.... although no-one tell Peugeot that.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gainesville opens the NHRA pro season(sportsman and whatnots have had divisionals already) this week. Headed down to the track today. Be sure to fire up the NHRA.tv app or check out our YouTube dispatches.

Speaking of divisionals, Dennis Bailey decided to test his roll cage engineering

https://youtu.be/LqByqsn2o5M?si=Whhb72EAhQNdCgzH

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.the-race.com/indycar/indycar-podcast-2024-preview-with-james-hinchcliffe-jamie-chadwick/

James Hinchcliffe and Jamie Chadwick headline this week’s episode of The Race IndyCar Podcast previewing the season opener at St Petersburg.

He analyses the track, with special attention on Turns 3 and 14, and also talks about what winning at St Pete - his first IndyCar victory - meant for his career.

Chadwick joins ahead of her second season in the Indy NXT feeder category with Andretti.

A member of the Williams Formula 1 team's driver academy, Chadwick also discusses the areas of focus for her over the off-season, her goals for this year and beyond, and the new karting programme she has launched to try to get young girls into karting.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

REDACTED

Anyway big nitro day for NHRA. I got attacked by barbed wire and fire ants. Hopefully the blood spilled will appease the land's thirst for rain.

coconono fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 9, 2024

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Super Formula this weekend too.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

coconono posted:

Anyway big nitro day for NHRA. I got attacked by barbed wire

now im imagining Foley vs. Funk in a top fuel nitro race

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Kvlt! posted:

now im imagining Foley vs. Funk in a top fuel nitro race

yes, I want this very much. Two absurdly good promos from two dudes absolutely willing to throw down after wrecking their cars together? SARLID GALD!

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

coconono posted:

uh why are they letting James Hinchcliffe hang out with children?

Want to expand on this?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Arcella posted:

Want to expand on this?

yeah seriously, this is the first I've heard anything like this about Hinch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftEbO9GVFFY

1812 km of Qatar is going up on YouTube, highly recommended

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

he's a standup. don't trust standups. don't leave them alone with your kids.

e: oh poo poo, I'm thinking of Tony. I will refrain from further libel.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

First wobble in the golden era, Caddy and Ganassi are splitting after this year although both claim they'll be racing in 2025.

Reading between the lines Ganassi think Caddy are half-arsing it and tbh I agree, with still only 1 car in WEC and not even bothering to hire enough drivers for it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

First wobble in the golden era, Caddy and Ganassi are splitting after this year although both claim they'll be racing in 2025.

Reading between the lines Ganassi think Caddy are half-arsing it and tbh I agree, with still only 1 car in WEC and not even bothering to hire enough drivers for it.

It sounds like the car in IMSA will go to Action Express, and the rumor is a second WEC car is coming next year. United Autosport might become the team to run them.

Ganassi most likely moving to running GTs for next year, but we’ll see.

Also this weekend is Sebring :toot:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i can't even be excited for sebring cuz american raving broadcasts suck. if you aren't watching commercials you're looking at a panel of talking heads take up 2/3 of the screen. daytona was painful to watch.

the wec race at qatar had uncharacteristically bad camerawork and was still a thousand times more watchable than daytona.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Daytona’s coverage was so bad. Hey let’s have some talking heads to talk about their NASCAR career while the race happens in the background

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The American broadcast is awful. But is nothing a $30 lifetime VPN from VPN secure me (there's always this deal somewhere listed) and a laptops can't fix. .

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
All the motorsport I watch, I watch via VPN on a world feed, American TV coverage for racing is garbage.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
It was kinda funny how many times a slightly bewildered and very English sounding guy had to jump into the St. Pete commentary void last weekend as they went to the billionth commercial break mid-race on the Sky UK coverage.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I thought it seemed like caddy pulled out from CGR and not the other way around, maybe started with two teams to spread the load of the new platform and then consolidated to a single team with two cars and AXR had a better job last season.

Similar to Acura consolidating, I'm curious if that works have happened regardless of MSR cheating or what.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Theophany posted:

It was kinda funny how many times a slightly bewildered and very English sounding guy had to jump into the St. Pete commentary void last weekend as they went to the billionth commercial break mid-race on the Sky UK coverage.

How does one get that feed? I'm on the swiss indycar live feed and it just cuts comms entirely for the commercial breaks

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

tater_salad posted:

The American broadcast is awful. But is nothing a $30 lifetime VPN from VPN secure me (there's always this deal somewhere listed) and a laptops can't fix. .

does that solve the 'let's watch these irrelevant people talk about random poo poo instead of the race' problem

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 14, 2024

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

does that solve the 'let's watch these irrelevant people talk about randon poo poo instead of the race' problem

This poo poo drives me crazy - they are paying money to not show us the race. The number of ads already makes it unwatchable but at least ads make sense. If the race is green and you're not showing ads, you should be showing racing.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah you can watch via IMSA.tv which has way better commentary and no ad breaks compared to the NBC/Peacock broadcasts.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Yeah you can watch via IMSA.tv which has way better commentary and no ad breaks compared to the NBC/Peacock broadcasts.

Yep. Basically imsa.tv is regular broadcast but with the imsa radio announcers. They have some guests and stuff but it's not some NASCAR driver spending a bunch of the race talking about their NASCAR career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

How does one get that feed? I'm on the swiss indycar live feed and it just cuts comms entirely for the commercial breaks

Sky Sports F1 is the UK channel and the race feed is completely uninterrupted and it's the same build up/post race as NBC (and presumably USA/Fox) just instead of cutting to ads a British commentator takes over.

You can probably find streams on race day, but honestly getting a decent IPTV service is inexpensive and reduces the hassle of hooking up laptops/tablets to HDMI cables if you want to watch on TV.