Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Watched the first four hours before having to call it a night. Wonder if the rain really picked up.

Also that first-lap accident was pretty dumb too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I really appreciated the commentator at first insisting Ferrari was the big brain geniuses for staying out on slicks, then saying they threw the race by coming in when they did instead of continuing to run on slicks, and then eventually getting around to wondering why GTPS were staying on wets after the pit despite many of them just slip sliding off the road all because a lot of the track looking dry.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I really appreciated the commentator at first insisting Ferrari was the big brain geniuses for staying out on slicks, then saying they threw the race by coming in when they did instead of continuing to run on slicks, and then eventually getting around to wondering why GTPS were staying on wets after the pit despite many of them just slip sliding off the road all because a lot of the track looking dry.

I must admit that the Italian commentators on Eurosport were skeptical at first and spent all the remaining race time nagging about Ferrari loving up.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Truly a Crofty-level performance. I appreciated the monumental resistance of the other commentators to belting him one, although at length one (I imagine through clenched teeth) said that it was the correct call to go on wets in a way that suggested "stop talking about the bloody Ferrari team and the wets" but that only set him off to talking about the GT's instead. At this point only strangulation would have worked.

He's really going to be a pain when Max Verstappen starts driving for WEC. :v:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

https://youtube.com/shorts/aejKVBUd3jY?si=ht_9k5slD0B_A4hr

It’s a good day for racing shitboxes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Is that what “do the Ricky Bobby” means?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That was some funny poo poo to watch on the mound in T1, the crowd loved it. It was even better to watch Tony Stewart go from last to first with the crown Vic race then lose it on the last lap. It was truly a thing of beauty to watch him slice through the field, he got the lead within 16 laps and never let go. Coming out of T2 he always got the high line slingshot.

https://youtu.be/bPDUNnwtqV4?si=mLHaFDX6_DwgicHM

Him joining the event was last minute, but I was pretty much the only person there in Tony gear at all.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 4, 2024

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hahah I was up in race control for the whole race. It was such a great spectacle. Like what NASCAR used to be before the money took precedence over racing.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
2nd round of the ELMS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2AYts4542I

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Looks good to me
https://twitter.com/FIAWEC/status/1788841758937194903?t=8eBchuo2tCoh-SkPUmdqtQ&s=19

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WEC quali highlights:

https://youtu.be/dWIiLMFveMo

And news afterwards:

quote:

The post-qualifying checks determined that the #50 Ferrari AF Corse Ferrari 499P, driven by Antonio Fuoco in Hyperpole, was found not to comply with the minimum car weight. As such it has lost its pole position and will start the race from the back of the Hypercar grid.

In LMGT3, United Autosports’ #95 McLaren which qualified second was also found to have been underweight and will start from the back of the grid as a result.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWIiLMFveMo&t=188s

"Oh no"

"Ohno"

"OH NO"

* BLAT *

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

An hour and a half in, and the first real incident in the books.

Real good race so far, honestly. Iron Dames pulling a huge lead in GT3.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

harperdc posted:

An hour and a half in, and the first real incident in the books.

Real good race so far, honestly. Iron Dames pulling a huge lead in GT3.

Proton likely almost losing the top position due to a poo poo door latch is also funny as hell.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 11, 2024

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ant Davidson seeing the #6 knock itself out of the race and going “We said that’s not a flat-out corner…”

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

In the last five minutes I have seen three side by side battles through Eau Rouge. Awesome race.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
The long safety periods have been a bummer but great racing otherwise, Toyotas can't stay out of their own way. Watching the caddy charge back up has been fun, they have a live stream cockpit cam going for the race which is cool.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cadillac started the race on tires they used for qualifying, because every team gets something like 4.5 sets for the whole event. So they took the bitter pill in the first stint.

Toyotas look like they’re just anchored by BoP.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
BOP might be playing a part but I think both toyotas have gotten drive throughs and havent been able to capitalize on the restarts. Maybe they'll get a bit of a BOP boost going into Lemans, we'll see. It has been nice to see LMDH cars doing way better this season than last, but Porsche is prob my least favorite manufacturer so its a bummer its them lol.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nasty crash, glad everyone is okay.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I really hope caddy runs two cars next season.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

harperdc posted:

Nasty crash, glad everyone is okay.

Cadillac might want to start pulling a Glickenhouse with their championship and stop going to Spa, It's been two consecutive retires with heavy damage just before Le Mans.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bummer that the clock doesn't stop

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

season first freca race is about to start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRCRkVGOxiI
features doriane pin in p18

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

What did I miss with Iron Dames? They just got hit by Kamui and the commentary said "as if things weren't already going bad enough."

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

this wec race has been intense

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

wicka posted:

What did I miss with Iron Dames? They just got hit by Kamui and the commentary said "as if things weren't already going bad enough."

bad pit stop with the guy in charge of the hydraulics dropping the car before the last wheel was seated, adding ~20 seconds to the pit stop

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

awesome race

iron lynx/dames needs to throw away their abacus' and get a ti83 for the next race

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I really hope caddy runs two cars next season.

Rumor was there might be rules requiring factory teams to run two cars next year. And the current Cadillac team (Chip Ganassi) is not continuing next year, various rumor as to who could take it over but I can see that being a time to move to two cars.

The end of this race was absolutely nuts.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Elfyn Evans' codriver forgot his pacenotes so he had to read them off his phone instead for the stage. The cockpit cam for it was pretty hilarious as he's trying to read his phone on a bumpy stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCk_X8Y3OSM