Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Miscellaneous Racing Series 2024: Rexy's Return

This is the Misc. Racing Thread, home for discussion of all kinds of racing that aren't Formula 1, IndyCar, or NASCAR. Feel free to post about sports car racing, touring cars, rallying, off-road racing, motocross (hi Windyman), and anything else you can think of. So much good racing is available to watch (especially online officially) that we can share and discuss while enjoying speedy race cars.

So what kind of racing are you talking about here, then?

We (and specifically I) talk a lot about sports-car racing. It’s the racing, primarily on permanent road and temporary street courses, of cars which come closest in design and spirit to street cars. And at the top of sports cars are what’s called prototypes -- single-seat racers with closed tops and fenders. The Grand Prix cars of long-distance racing.

But this is a place for all sorts of series: Australian Supercars, Japanese Super GT and Super Formula, the World Rally Championship, Supercross (I will get murdered if I don't mention or watch Supercross), and more.

Why should I care about sports car racing?

There’s a wide variety -- of cars, drivers, locations, and of race distances. It’s where your favorite drivers from Formula 1, IndyCar and NASCAR past will wind up. Races are often long (6-, 12- and 24-hour races are not uncommon), and feature multiple types (classes) of car racing on the same track but in individual class battles alongside the overall ranking. The world of sports car racing tends to be friendlier and more approachable than other parts, while still attracting many colorful characters.

Okay. So what's new for 2024?
Holy poo poo, last year delivered. Between the new Hypercars in the World Endurance Championship and the full refresh of IMSA to the GTP era, the prototype racing absolutely kicked it into gear in 2023. Ferrari wound up winning Le Mans, breaking Toyota's streak, though the Japanese squad did take home the full-season awards in the WEC. Over in IMSA, each of the four manufacturers won a race, and the championship battle went down to the final round at Petit Le Mans. So, job done on the prototype front.

Which brings us to GTs. Last year was the final season in WEC for the GTE-class cars, changing this year to GT3-spec cars. While this means an end to a unique and dying breed of purpose-built cars, it also means nine - N I N E - different manufacturers will be competing in the WEC in the LM GT3 class, including the brand new Ford Mustang GT3 and re-worked Corvette C8 GT3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLhf-eYHuSw

And aside from that shift in the WEC, we do have some more new cars in new places:

• BMW are joining the WEC with WRT, as planned, though Valentino Rossi isn't in the Hypercar but a M4 GT3 for the full season.
  • Lamborghini is joining with one car each in the WEC and IMSA endurance calendar.
  • Alpine will have two cars in the WEC this year, the new A424 LMDh car, and one of the drivers is none other than Mick Schumacher

So, what are the series I should know?

The FIA World Endurance Championship is the highest level of sports-car racing. It’s an FIA World Championship, same as Formula 1 and the World Rally Championship, which means a lot. The WEC schedule includes the 24 Hours of Le Mans, which means almost as much, if not more, as Le Mans remains a hugely popular event and a major marketing point for all these big manufacturers. The WEC features LM Hypercar cars and a GT class, with LMP2 cars joining for Le Mans only, and is pretty fun to watch. Its season is back to running during the calendar year, and though the first race is moved from Sebring to Portugal, it will continue on as a global championship this year.

Alongside the WEC is IMSA, which is based mainly in the United States but almost equal to the WEC in terms of longevity and prestige. Its a US and Canadian-based series, but many teams and drivers will also compete at Le Mans on an annual basis. IMSA also has a number of high-profile races: endurance epics include the 24 Hours of Daytona in January, the Sebring 12 Hours in March, and Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta in October, plus marquee shorter races at Long Beach, Road America, and more.

Other regional series which are directly under the WEC and ACO (who co-organize the WEC along with the FIA) include the European Le Mans Series and Asian Le Mans Series, which both act as feeders of a sort to the World Endurance Championship and 24 Hours of Le Mans. There's no direct relegation/promotion, but teams gain experience in the regional series and sometimes step up to the WEC; also, all of IMSA, Asian Le Mans and European Le Mans all receive invites to the 24 Hours of Le Mans annually.

But there are other series in this sports car world! Many of them fall under a sports car rulebook called GT3. These are cars made by big companies (Porsche, Ferrari, BMW, Mercedes, Nissan, Audi, McLaren) which are sold to customers. GT3 cars are expected to be balanced to achieve a similar level of performance -- in theory, a driver could take each of those cars around a track and get roughly the same lap time.

This has led to a boom in series aimed to customers, as the cars are relatively affordable, well-built, fairly easy to drive (especially compared to customer cars from the 1970s and ‘80s) and eligible to race in a lot of exciting events. The 24 Hours races at Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium and the Nurburgring in Germany, and also the 12 Hours of Bathurst in Australia are highlights for GT3-type racing worldwide.

Great! So how/when do I watch?

First, you need to know when a race is! Custard Undies recommended this link to Motorsport.com's schedule for racing series. Use it, learn it, love it.

Because the sports-car world is so diverse, there’s a lot to watch. Happily, much of it is readily available online or even via YouTube.

• WEC: It has a streaming app/website for live events, and a YouTube channel for replays which are arriving pretty quickly these days. Note: Included as part of MotorTrend's streaming app in the U.S., so the WEC streaming app is blacked out. Boo!
  • 24 Hours of Le Mans: Part of the above WEC package, but also has plenty of coverage for free via YouTube and other partner streams.
  • IMSA: For live coverage, from 2019 IMSA is partnering with NBC in the U.S., will have live coverage on various NBC channels, and IMSA Radio is always free and excellent. They've now added an IMSA-specific NBC Gold package for US coverage which will be rolled into Peacock, while coverage outside the U.S. will depend on the market. Also check out the YouTube channel afterwards. Outside of the U.S.? IMSA TV provides free coverage using the IMSA Radio audio. Should also be visible via http://imsaradio.com. This also includes the lower-level series that IMSA also has, including the Michelin Pilot Challenge, Lamborghini Supertrofeo, Prototype Challenge, etc.
  • European and Asian Le Mans Series: These both stream free, AsLMS via YouTube.
  • Formerly known as Blancpain GT Series: Online via YouTube
  • Super GT: It's not the heyday of Radio Le Mans covering the series, but their YouTube does have free streams and race replays up if you're patient.
  • Other events: Most all of these have some free streaming component, which we put in the thread as they come up.

Recommended Links/Follows

• Racer -- racer.com -- Good coverage of American racing
  • Daily Sports Car -- dailysportscar.com -- Great coverage of all sports car series

Other questions? Reach out and ask! Recommendations? Please suggest and we'll try to add them in.

Come join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/kg3d2Uu

Misc Threads of the Past
Misc. Racing Thread 2023: Home of True Passione
Misc. Racing Thread 2022: H-Sample Test Phase
Misc. Racing Thread 2021: Shifting to H Intensifies
Misc Racing Thread 2020: Put it in H!
Misc Racing Thread 2019: I woke up to a smoking hulk
Misc Auto Racing 2018: Mazda gonna Mazda
Misc Auto Racing 2017: gently caress off Whincup
Misc Auto Racing 2016 : Downgraded From Silver Posters to Bronze
Misc Auto Racing 2015: At least our criminals are non-violent
Misc Auto Racing 2014: So long and thanks for all the McNish
Misc Auto Racing 2013: Beware: Ferrari Ahead
Misc. Auto Racing 2012: No War But Class War
Sportscars 2011: Racing with Class (ILMC/ALMS/GrandAm)
2011 Daytona 24 Hours
2010 Daytona 24 Hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

[reserved in case for more details]

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Y'all know what week it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWnzfA9AqrA

Already plenty on track, let's see what YouTube already holds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IAUCVmwKSI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wtmeAdjPDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H9nRX2L3gU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LoMHJx-V4Q (RIP Gil :smith: )

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

TV stream (preferably without commercials) plus RLM is the only way.

Yeah that’s the IMSA.tv international video feed. Looks like an upgraded player from last year, too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

a classic of the genre

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

To borrow a joke from a Discord server, very funny that the race sponsored by the luxury watch company had timing issues :xd:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

All sports interviews need to be like this

he's like a miniature, younger, cloned version of John Force

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

coconono posted:

yeah I always try to get some drags or bangers on. Hoping the demolition derby streams start soon

speaking of drags, Cleetus has been foolin around with top fuel guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDPGM-ZIOpw

That might be the video that gives you the best impression just how fast top fuels are, holy poo poo. I’ve seen my fair share of TV broadcasts, but that is just another level. That thing explodes like a bullet out of a gun off the line, I guess the way NHRA is shot for TV rarely gives you that visual.

I used to put more racing on in the background when I was single, might have to do that while working at home more I suppose.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Quali now, may be wet

https://www.youtube.com/live/w_M0WGZc3XY

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

If they shortened the gaping maw it’d probably look fine. There does seem to be less of a mix of different gt3 cars than there was pre Covid.

It sounds like now because of Israel and Gaza, there are worries about shipping cars down under and back to Europe. Bathurst 12 Hour is still recovering a bit from the pandemic, and then that happens.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

I’ve been in and out of this race all day, but is that Valentino Rossi!?!

He’s been with WRT a couple seasons, this is also at least his second run at Bathurst with them.

This year he’s doing the full WEC including Le Mans in a GT3 car, too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/JustJoshingF1/status/1762297165584519233

WEC is back with a Saturday race in Qatar this weekend after a belated start to the prologue (aka the 1812 Overture) got started today.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

I feel like the guy in Close Encounters watching this video just getting absolutely obsessed lol, i cannot get these cool modified little tractors out of my head i must build one (and inevitably injure myself on it im sure)

can you buy/build these in the US?

The unreal thing is it looks like a lot of them have small diesel industrial engines, like Yanmars or some no-name Chinese brands or something. Unreal.

I think I saw the Thai rice paddy racing through a Discord channel a while back, I love how some people are doing pro-stock (stand ups) and some have gone to rail dragsters already :black101:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it's a modern gp track, those aren't allowed to be good

It’s a motorcycle track first, and not one I really like all that much. It’s difficult to tell which corner is which as a viewer sometimes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

The Toyota being second is somewhat surprising.

the Marshall Pruett podcast ep that was the WEC preview episode this week has Goodwin and Kilbey on it includes them taking the piss out of Toyota, because the GR team is insisting they won't be favorites in Hypercar this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obcv6LXKjEg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvm_kef0JE0

second just in case you want that Formula 1 Q3-style drama, Hyperpole having it is a huge step up this year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Race is now 7 laps in, there's already been a car spinning, a different car in the pits, and now a new Mustang losing its rear deck lid

Sportscar racing fans, we are eatin' good now. 19 drat hypercars.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Lambo and Isotta are the new glick and bykolles/vanwall. Let's be honest and say 17 :)

Lamborghini will be fine, just this year they only have two cars total so might struggle to dial that thing in.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

peugeot gonna abandon their plans to put a wing on the 9x8

I can’t remember which of the WEC commentary crew phrased it this way but suggesting the Peugeot is designed for smooth track, long straights and medium/high-speed cornering at Le Mans, and that’s what they have here…and it seems to also be more reliable. In theory.

It would be very funny for the Peugeot to win this round.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I haven’t brought myself to watch the last hour, think I’ll try tonight.

And yeah man even just the churning through first 5-6 hours was excellent, proper racing and strategy stuff. Very good endurance racing. Can’t wait for the 6-hour races and for IMSA’s sprints as well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Arcella posted:

Want to expand on this?

yeah seriously, this is the first I've heard anything like this about Hinch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftEbO9GVFFY

1812 km of Qatar is going up on YouTube, highly recommended

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

First wobble in the golden era, Caddy and Ganassi are splitting after this year although both claim they'll be racing in 2025.

Reading between the lines Ganassi think Caddy are half-arsing it and tbh I agree, with still only 1 car in WEC and not even bothering to hire enough drivers for it.

It sounds like the car in IMSA will go to Action Express, and the rumor is a second WEC car is coming next year. United Autosport might become the team to run them.

Ganassi most likely moving to running GTs for next year, but we’ll see.

Also this weekend is Sebring :toot:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If not finding the IMSA dot tv video feed, at least putting their commentary on is highly recommended. It’s the Radio Le Mans crew, that’s really all that needs to be said.

The RLM crew also said they’re doing both of the two sides of the Nurburgring debacle, so whomever holds races there will at least have decent English commentary :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Arcella posted:

What does this mean

https://www.dailysportscar.com/2024/01/10/an-unhappy-new-year-at-the-nurburgring.html

quote:

First things first. Plans now exist for two competing Series to run at the Nurburgring this coming season. At present neither have either calendars or regulations.

How and why has this come to pass?

In short (and trust us shorthand for this situation is anything but easy – and with thanks to our German media colleagues for unpicking the mess), a fall-out between the Russian owners of the the Nürburgring (NR Holding) and the organisers of the NLS/ VLN (VLN Sport) over structural reform, and, in essence, a wrangle about who controls what at the iconic circuit) resulted in a court case after NR Holdings moved to strip VLN v.v. ( a body 60% owned by NR Holding, 40 % by VLN Sport) of rights to hold any races in 2024.

Tl;dr the circuit’s owners wanted more control over the racing series that uses it, so came up with their own series. With blackjack. And hookers!

Where have I seen this happen before :thunk:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WTFBEES posted:

All I ever want from racing coverage "commentary" is ambient racecar noise and driver / crew radio. If any broadcast does this for any series anywhere please let me know and I will become a fan immediately.

Honestly I’ll continue to stump for good commentary, who are both invested in the sport while also mentioning the sponsors they have to when they do. Both Radio Le Mans/IMSA Radio and the WEC App commentary crews manage this very well, with the additional bonus of getting into real nerdy chat in the late-night hours if things are just ticking along nicely.

Agreed with the in-board video feeds, some of them also include commentary from RLM for Le Mans for example.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Interesting, because at least in WEC, GT is full and there won't be extra places next year so I wonder who they think they're replacing there.

the rumors were more "GT in IMSA" in fairness.

and I think re: a second Cadillac Hypercar for WEC next year, it sounds like the grid can get bigger - and another factory car would be a reason to expand it. Might get to 40 at this rate :toot:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Meanwhile, Peugeot’s updated 9X8 has broken cover: https://www.dailysportscar.com/2024/03/25/2024-spec-peugeot-9x8-revealed.html

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Watched the first four hours before having to call it a night. Wonder if the rain really picked up.

Also that first-lap accident was pretty dumb too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WEC quali highlights:

https://youtu.be/dWIiLMFveMo

And news afterwards:

quote:

The post-qualifying checks determined that the #50 Ferrari AF Corse Ferrari 499P, driven by Antonio Fuoco in Hyperpole, was found not to comply with the minimum car weight. As such it has lost its pole position and will start the race from the back of the Hypercar grid.

In LMGT3, United Autosports’ #95 McLaren which qualified second was also found to have been underweight and will start from the back of the grid as a result.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

An hour and a half in, and the first real incident in the books.

Real good race so far, honestly. Iron Dames pulling a huge lead in GT3.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ant Davidson seeing the #6 knock itself out of the race and going “We said that’s not a flat-out corner…”

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cadillac started the race on tires they used for qualifying, because every team gets something like 4.5 sets for the whole event. So they took the bitter pill in the first stint.

Toyotas look like they’re just anchored by BoP.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nasty crash, glad everyone is okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I really hope caddy runs two cars next season.

Rumor was there might be rules requiring factory teams to run two cars next year. And the current Cadillac team (Chip Ganassi) is not continuing next year, various rumor as to who could take it over but I can see that being a time to move to two cars.

The end of this race was absolutely nuts.