Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Bloopsy posted:

Heads up that it looks like this is finally the year that IMSA uploads their races to YT in 1080p60. Daytona is up now. Years prior the uploads were all at 720p60p.

Also, does announce else like putting these long races on as background noise while working?

yup i have em running on tv as background noise all the time. great to fall asleep to if youre like me and need noise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the Garage 56 NASCAR onboard is the best thing to fall asleep to imo. Drag racing is a close 2nd but its easy to fall into "oh ill just see who wins this next race...oh one more cant hurt...well a guy i like is up next so i gotta stay for that one..." ad infinitum

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

coconono posted:

so I've been kicking around the edges of what's good racing on youtube

stumbled onto rice tractor drag racing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4p-mOf3PFU

I feel like the guy in Close Encounters watching this video just getting absolutely obsessed lol, i cannot get these cool modified little tractors out of my head i must build one (and inevitably injure myself on it im sure)

can you buy/build these in the US?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

coconono posted:

Anyway big nitro day for NHRA. I got attacked by barbed wire

now im imagining Foley vs. Funk in a top fuel nitro race

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

WTFBEES posted:

All I ever want from racing coverage "commentary" is ambient racecar noise and driver / crew radio. If any broadcast does this for any series anywhere please let me know and I will become a fan immediately.

NASCAR app/streaming service does this

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Nybble posted:

Wait, is there a F1TV equivalent for NASCAR? the thing that turns me off from watching is the ads breaking up all the momentum. Any more details on this?

NASCAR Mobile is what its called on my phone, but it works on my computer too then I just hook it up to my TV. Live onboards and radio and usually they have a few different angles that just shows the entire track/all the cars.

You do have to pay for it though but i believe its about the same as F1TV?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Road/oval? No noise sucks but whatever. I truly dont understand electric cars in drag racing. I subscribe to NHRA.tv, attend every local drag event I can, just a massive drag fan! and no noise/fake noise just absolutely murders any interest I have in the sport.

also those taxpayers need a new Sheriff if theyre giving him a motorsport budget and he buys a CYBERTRUCK.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

coconono posted:

yeah that's why I was thinking about installing megaphones so the drivers can talk poo poo to each other as they drag down. Maybe get extra points for good zings or convincing engine noises.

and yeah LASD is the largest publicly funded militia in the US. Its pretty crazy the funding they get when the fuckin roads never work.

I think you misunderstood; artificial noise is worse or as bad as no noise imo. 99% excitement as a spectator of drag racing is the buildup of the engines idling, the roar when they take off. Making that fake/replacing it with insults sounds less appealing than just the near-silent high pitched electric motors.

It just seems very "fixing a problem that doesnt exist". Dragsters arent road cars, they go (more or less) a 1/4 mile. They dont need to be electrified, especially at the cost of the MAIN APPEAL OF THE SPORT (the roar/fire/excitement of the dragsters taking off). I know electric motors have torque, but I dont really see any upside or reason to introduce electric to drag.

NHRA dragsters arent road cars. They're built for drag racing. Why electrify them and ruin your sport? Taking out an ICE and putting in fake engine noise just seems like a middle finger to fans.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 23, 2024

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

coconono posted:

I respect that opinion but I just wanna go real fuckin fast.

then go to a track day? Or just an empty drag strip?

I guess if your drag racing against other electric cars I can see the appeal if you literally only care about speed, but I dont think drag racing an electric motor against an ICE is any sort of accomplishment. Its like racing an F1 car against a NASCAR: youre not really winning a race when its against a completely different type of car built for a different purpose.

I guess I just dont get it; if you really just "wanna go fast", why are you putting fake noise into your car? You clearly do care about the other aspects.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Oh ok i gotchu i misunderstood what you were saying

I am curious are you racing your EV against ICE cars or other EVs, (and if the former, what are your thoughts on what I said in my previous post about racing EVs against ICE?)

Id like to be clear Im not trying to be hostile or ask these questions in bad faith, youre just the first person ive encountered who drags EVs so im just curious as how you see the ICE vs. EV issue when it comes to drag racing (im talking competition, not the noise/spectator stuff)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

coconono posted:

oh its totally, cool. its car banter. And I'm waiting for the rain to break here in Pomona anyway.

I like EVs because they have positively absurd acceleration and the mechanics are deceptively unintuitive. Turns out 4 motors each attached to their own wheel doesn't automatically translate into 4x more power.

Right now its a smokey idea, but ideally I'd like to build an EV racing vehicle capable of matching the 300mph nitro classes. I have a test bed system consisting of a derelict lawnmower I'm in the process of wrenching off the engine and a shop vac motor that's going to replace it. This is clearly an extremely serious professional operation.

Professionally, there's been a few EV dragster attempts but the batteries are extremely temperamental. NHRA did a trial run 2023 in Vegas 4wide(it might have been 2022, these tours all blend together) and there was a cold snap that killed the batteries. People run rented Teslas in the street legal EV category. They never turn in real impressive numbers. There's room for a kit or bespoke EV build to really clean up if you can get the economics right.

Personally, I don't think EV dragsters will ever supplant a funny car. A funny car is a very specific spectacle. It slides, flames, explodes and takes a special mentality to master. But I have faith in humanity that EV dragsters will become their own spectacle if we can get sponsorships/grants lined up to support a comfortable living for a racer, 5 crew 2-3 support staffers.

Thanks for the reply! That def makes a lot of sense, made me a little more open to the idea. Especially the last part where it's more "a new class" than it is "replacing old ones". I'd def be interested in some updates on your project as they happen that does sound interesting.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

is there a website that just has a list of all races happening that day?

A lot of times after work i wanna watch a live race of ANY KIND but theres so many across so many different types of racing I often will look for one and not be able to find one, then the next day realize there was one happening I didnt know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

that is exactly what i was looking for, thank you so much!!