Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

:siren:CONTENT WARNINGS: brutal violence and gore, nudity, political and religious themes, religious trauma, self-harm:siren:

:siren:With a game like this, discussion of religion and to a lesser extent politics is inevitable. Just follow the most basic rule of this forum and don't be an rear end in a top hat, and we should get along just fine. And, I think it goes without saying, absolutely no spoilers.:siren:

Most recent video:

Lore for Update 13

Blasphemous is a 2019 2D Metroidvania game developed by the fine folks at The Game Kitchen, previously known for a series of work-for-hire jobs as well as The Last Door. A series of DLC expansion packs (The Stir of Dawn, Strife and Ruin and Wounds of Eventide) were released over the next few years, as well as a number of tweaks to combat and navigation, and new content including bonus bosses and a new ending.

This game is heavily inspired by Catholic (especially Spanish Catholic) iconography, creating striking and terrifying images rendered in gorgeous pixel art. Its combat is heavy and crushing, its map is beautifully designed, and I cannot wait to show it off to you all.

The region of Cvstodia has been struck by a series of supernatural and impossible events. The locals believe these to be connected, and worship their source as the Grievous Miracle, who takes and gives seemingly at random. We play as a pious, silent man known only as The Penitent One. Having somehow survived the extermination of the rest of his brotherhood, he travel through the rest of Cvstodia, seeking answers to questions he barely understands.

This will be a 99.99% run (for reasons I will get into later) across three playthroughs, showing off every ending and all the DLC. Joining me are pdPreciousRoy and CJacobs, who will bring some much-needed levity to this sorrowful tale.

VIDEOS (link here to full playlist)

Lore for Update 1

Lore for Update 2

Lore for Update 3

Lore for Update 4

Lore for Update 5

Lore for Update 6

Lore for Update 7

Lore for Update 8

Lore for Update 9

Lore for Update 10

Lore for Update 11

Lore for Update 12

Lore for Update 13

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

There is a substantial amount of lore that accompanies every item, ability and spell in the game. With each update, I will include a page that contains all of this lore. Beware of spoilers for each update!

Lore for Update 1

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Blasphemous was a game that I wanted to like, but every time I sat down to actually play the drat thing it was a slog. I managed to push through to the end...and then found out NG+ was basically NG but harder. :shepicide:

I am therefore intrigued to see what happens when someone who actually enjoys this game sits down to play it. :allears:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I remember playing this on release, and thought it was a 7/10 that could have gotten to a 9/10 with a small mechanical polishing pass/update. They did fix some of the most egregious issues later, but there's just a bit more potential that could've been.

Game still owns hard though, love me a swordfight metroidvania in Goya's fever nightmares

White Coke
May 29, 2015
They should make a censored mode for the game and call it Anglican mode.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm not going to comment on the themes or imagery because holy poo poo there is so much to unpack here.

What I will say is that on one hand, I'm really glad that they didn't go with paper-doll style animation, the care in the art and animations is outstanding. On the other hand, it is bothering me that they seem to have simply mirrored the sprites when you change directions, which sticks out a bit with the asymmetrical armour.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Nice, looking forward to you unpacking the story. It's not that complicated but they really go out of their way to tell it in as circuitous a way as possible. And the way they gate some of the DLC stuff is questionable at best.

Regarding the "saints of this world" - If I remember correctly, the names and stories for the bones were supplied by Kickstarter backers.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 29, 2024

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Really appreciate the inserts and edits with the additional information. Reminds of the good ol' LPs. And yeah, this game has a powerful aesthetic.

I seem to remember hearing that the hoods of the KKK are based off the conical hats of the penitents of old Spain (as well as the old dunce caps).

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oh hell yes a Blasphemous LP. I really like the game for all its jank (and me still needing to get through NG+ for stuff). They absolutely nailed the atmosphere (really annoying when you neighbor starts bleeding from the eyes and grows five arms at 3 AM) and I'm glad you're going with the Spanish dub, it's really good and that's coming from someone who thinks Spanish dubs are usually phoned in.

On some of the stuff you mentioned:

-The Seguiriya pronunciation on Google Translate is mooostly correct... but in the Spanish localization it's written as Següiriya, in which case it would be pronounced Seh-wii-ree-yah. The weird thing is it's the version without the dieresis that seems more common, but you can blame dialects on that.

-On the Candelaria thing, something to point out is that 3 of the NPCs met by now (Tirso, the church Bloodborne NPC and Candelaria) all have Southern Spanish accents: you can tell it's using mostly 'z' sounds instead of 's' sounds and not pronouncing the end of some words (so piedad becomes piedá, kinda like going to goin'). Candelaria has a very thick accent, and her cadence and choice of words (like "may my eyes be blinded if I'm lying") are very reminiscent of flamenco songtresses like, as you said, Lola Flores who was one of the most famous singers of her genre. But she does also sound like an old lady at the flea market trying to sell you her fish so it's still very fitting. All other NPCs have pretty much spoken neutral but somewhat formal Spanish, not quite like ye Old Fake Middle English but it evokes a similar feeling.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
So how do you know what the name of some of the enemies are? Is there some kind of lore item you can find for some of them? I'd love to know more about why there are guys made of mud or grumpy groups of people lobbing rocks at you.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Was there lore for the Moss in the Jar?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Also hell yeah

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
True story, this is what renaissance Andalusia was actually like.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Tombot posted:

So how do you know what the name of some of the enemies are? Is there some kind of lore item you can find for some of them? I'd love to know more about why there are guys made of mud or grumpy groups of people lobbing rocks at you.

Enemy names are taken from the official artbook, which is available with the deluxe edition of this game.

The guys made of mud are called Crawlers, and the the lobbing-rocks guys are called the Damned.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I love the look and the lore of this game. I tend to be terrible at putting two and two together when it comes to figuring out what lore means, so I'm kinda hoping people will help fill in a guide for dummies in the thread.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I'm curious how the church in Blasphemous derives its authority since there's usually a founder and/or a body of texts from which authority is derived but here it seems like people are randomly altered by a supernatural force so are beneficial changes seen as divine favor and thus one's position in the church's hierarchy is based on how great of a transformation they've received?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Oh, excellent! I really want to be able to play this game, but I just know it would stonewall me these days, so it's great to see someone do an LP for it.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

White Coke posted:

I'm curious how the church in Blasphemous derives its authority since there's usually a founder and/or a body of texts from which authority is derived but here it seems like people are randomly altered by a supernatural force so are beneficial changes seen as divine favor and thus one's position in the church's hierarchy is based on how great of a transformation they've received?

Without spoiling anything, we will get answers to some of those questions.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

White Coke posted:

It's Catholicism so obviously the hierarchy is based upon the ancient tradition of Pope Fights.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

It's Catholicism so obviously the hierarchy is based upon the ancient tradition of Pope Fights.

"Thou art Peter, and upon this Rock shall I build my-"
"It doesn't matter where you'll build your church!"

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

verbal enema posted:

Was there lore for the Moss in the Jar?

Yes. I'll include the lore when I actually buy the item, which won't be until New Game+

Samovar posted:

I seem to remember hearing that the hoods of the KKK are based off the conical hats of the penitents of old Spain (as well as the old dunce caps).

That is mostly correct. I'm planning to bring that up in a later video actually.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

theenglishman posted:

Without spoiling anything, we will get answers to some of those questions.

I look forward to it, although given the genre I wonder how clear the answers will be.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

theenglishman posted:

That is mostly correct. I'm planning to bring that up in a later video actually.

Sorry, sorry - I'll try not to mention stuff that would probably be commented on in the future.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Samovar posted:

Sorry, sorry - I'll try not to mention stuff that would probably be commented on in the future.

That's okay, don't worry about it.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I always thought that the bigger and sillier the hat, the higher your level is in the Catholic church?

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Sylphosaurus posted:

I always thought that the bigger and sillier the hat, the higher your level is in the Catholic church?

I mean, big silly hats as a measure of authority kind of tracks, no matter what organization you're in...

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

White Coke posted:

They should make a censored mode for the game and call it Anglican mode.

That's Puritan mode.

In Anglican mode, you can get a refund whenever you want.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Puritan mode would get rid of all the popery though.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I want to see this game with different difficulties named after other branches

Episcopal is Easy
Catholic is Normal
Orthodox is Hard
Mormon is Insanity. It's not actually any more difficult, it's just a commentary.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
"Content Warning: EVERYTHING" is a powerful way to start a video.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

C-Euro posted:

"Content Warning: EVERYTHING" is a powerful way to start a video.
I listen to a podcast that does this, it doesn't shock me.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

CzarChasm posted:

I want to see this game with different difficulties named after other branches

Episcopal is Easy
Catholic is Normal
Orthodox is Hard
Mormon is Insanity. It's not actually any more difficult, it's just a commentary.

Anabaptist forces a pacifist run. Antinomian reverses all your inputs. Nestorianism makes you control two characters at once.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

This is the kind of insightful religious commentary I was hoping for when I started the thread :allears:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
where new video?!

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

verbal enema posted:

where new video?!

Once a week, on Sundays naturally.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Oh, cool nvm

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I've never seen a full playthrough of this game before, especially one with commentary explaining all the neat things in the game I'm not familiar with.

I recall there was a crossover DLC with this game and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night involving Miriam. Strife & Ruin, I think. Hearing about that made me interested in this game (I backed Bloodstained: RotN), but I never bought it.

Looking forward to seeing the future of this LP!

Shei-kun fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 4, 2024

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

White Coke posted:

Anabaptist forces a pacifist run. Antinomian reverses all your inputs. Nestorianism makes you control two characters at once.

Aryanist makes you fight Father Christmas as a bonus boss.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

You guys are forgetting this is Catholic NotSpain. Every difficulty above Catholic would also add surprise chase sequences by the Spanish Cvstodian Inquisition that are RNG based and completely unpredictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Shei-kun posted:

Crossover DLC…

Sorry Shei-Kun but could you spoiler tag that part? I want the specific crossover DLC to be a surprise for Roy and CJacobs.