Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Done and done! My apologies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Lore for Update 2

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Yay

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

White Trail of tears of suffering? That many wagons often traversed?

So, Oregon Trail?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I feel like the way sidequests work is probably the biggest inspiration from Dark Souls the game took IMO, together with lore on items. The way sidequests can end up resolving in gotcha ways does really feel like From Soft quest design. Like hell (spoiling it for Roy and CJacobs) by not taking the teleporter to Albero inmediately before Ten Piedad and giving him the herbs you get locked out of the best ending for Tirso's quest which you can see by the grave right to the church. It doesn't make you lose any rewards besides the achievement but is as much of a middle finger as Gemino's quest and it's great.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Argh, you miss the thoughts of a dead pilgrim just outside of the pay-to-refill-bile-jar area!

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I noticed how every one of the discarded bells on the mountain has a weirdo in it, and the game does not call attention to it at all. They are not even enemies or NPCs they are just unexplained bell weirdoes. There's almost certainly going to be a lot more weird details like that going through.

Keeper Garrett
May 4, 2006

Running messages and picking pockets since 1998.
Such a fantastic game.

I bought it for my Switch and bounced off it at first. Then in the middle of last year my PC motherboard died and while waiting for a replacement, I got my Switch hooked up to my monitor and smashed out this game.

The sequel looks good too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

People called Romanes, they go to the Dark Souls?!

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

as you were talking with the dying man i was wondering if quests could be failed.

i like it that they can.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
This game has a number of points of no return and failable quests, I'm not even sure if it's even possible to get the best ending on the first go around.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Tombot posted:

This game has a number of points of no return and failable quests, I'm not even sure if it's even possible to get the best ending on the first go around.

You can definitely get Ending B (which was the true ending at launch) on a fresh file. However I'm not sure about Ending C, the canonical ending added in the Wounds of Eventide DLC.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Wouldn’t an atheist skill tree make you feel euphoric?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

theenglishman posted:

You can definitely get Ending B (which was the true ending at launch) on a fresh file. However I'm not sure about Ending C, the canonical ending added in the Wounds of Eventide DLC.

As far as I can tell there's nothing stopping you from getting to Ending C on a first playthrough but you can (and probably will) get locked out of it if you don't fulfill its requirements which obviously I will not dig in.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

As far as I can tell there's nothing stopping you from getting to Ending C on a first playthrough but you can (and probably will) get locked out of it if you don't fulfill its requirements which obviously I will not dig in.
No, Ending C requires NG+ and that's why I initially felt obligated to continue in that mode.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NGDBSS posted:

No, Ending C requires NG+ and that's why I initially felt obligated to continue in that mode.
I... don't think so? From what I remember, the NG+ specific bosses are not required for it.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

I... don't think so? From what I remember, the NG+ specific bosses are not required for it.

Just looked it up, there's an Ending C speedrun (which I won't link to here for spoiler reasons, but the final time is 1:42:57 by Dacktem) which starts from a fresh file. It's possible you may need to have beaten the game once already for the specific quest chain to trigger, but you don't need to be on an NG+ file to do so.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Samovar posted:

Aryanist makes you fight Father Christmas as a bonus boss.

And gives you a very special death animation.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Are you ready for some football?!

Well we don't have any, but here's the next-best thing: a Blasphemous double-update!

Lore for Update 3

Lore for Update 4

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

"And thus guilt, repentance, mourning and every pain of the soul were visibly and tangibly manifested, everywhere and in all of us."

Well stop doing those things then. If regret and repentance cause horrible magic things to happen then it's important to never feel bad about anything, just do as thou wilt and never reflect on any of it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think that's a sore on the boss' head - fairly sure it's a hole in her skull exposing her brain. Y'know, in case it wasn't grisly enough.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 11, 2024

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Hah. The whole idea of a person being so beautiful that their image was used as an actual representation of divinity was one of the sticking points in general critiques of the culture of Catholic society; a lot of those late Medieval and Renaissance pictures of saints and the like were modeled from a bunch of pretty people, some of them sex workers, and there were a quite a few people who were not happy to have divinity associated with those types of people.

Edit: Well! Since it wasn't brought up in the video, and you've done his quest, I think it's safe enough to mention that Gémino is very obviously inspired by a saint who often fell afoul of the phenomenon I mentioned just then, i.e. St. Sebastian. You may have seen representations of him tied to a tree, shot through with several arrows , yet looking like a jeans model.

You may NOT be surprised to hear that a number of male prostitutes were chosen as the model for Seb - but he wasn't always represented thus. The earliest representations of him had him as he was described, i.e. an older man (he was a captain of the Roman legions) who was positively riddled with arrows (descriptions compared him to a hedgehog after the execution).

Interestingly enough, despite his popularity, he very likely did NOT actually exist as a genuine person. And amusingly, him being shot with arrows wasn't how he died. Him surviving the fusillade was the miracle attributed to him. After he was freed from the post/tree he was tied to and the arrows removed he went back to the person who ordered his execution who, when confronted with him again, had him beaten to death. THAT one stuck.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 11, 2024

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The Lone Badger posted:

"And thus guilt, repentance, mourning and every pain of the soul were visibly and tangibly manifested, everywhere and in all of us."

Well stop doing those things then. If regret and repentance cause horrible magic things to happen then it's important to never feel bad about anything, just do as thou wilt and never reflect on any of it.

You're underestimating the power of Catholic Guilt. I only went to Catholic school for elementary and the scars haven't closed yet. You might as well ask a radical Evangelist to play Pokemon :v:

Our Lady of the Charred Visage is real cool because, at the very least for Spanish and Latin American Catholicism, we absolutely love Our Ladies and Virgin Marys to the point you can fine like, a specific one venerated on each village with an specific miracle attributed to them.

also yeah gently caress the ghost ladies, between that and the hoppers and the fire breathers the convent is absolutely a pain if you go there second

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I was raised Anglican but not a lot interesting happened during my schools mandatory church visits on Friday morning, it was mostly stuff like be humble, forgiving to others and such.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

also yeah gently caress the ghost ladies, between that and the hoppers and the fire breathers the convent is absolutely a pain if you go there second

That enemy type is called the Ghastly Baroness. And yes I will keep accidentally referring to her as the Ghostly Baroness for several videos.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

theenglishman posted:

That enemy type is called the Ghastly Baroness. And yes I will keep accidentally referring to her as the Ghostly Baroness for several videos.

Excuse me, her name is Baronesa Fantasma de Cera, have some manners :colbert:

Jk, just wanted to check the Spanish names for the enemies to see if there were any good puns, but sadly it's clear the English names were the originals, since most of them are unchanged (cause they are Spanish to begin with, like Guardiainfante) or just direct translations (like Ghoastly Baroness becoming Baronesa Fantasma)

There are two exceptions though, Charging Knells are called Esquilones in Spanish (which is the name for both Cowbells and small church bells) and the Enraged Pilgrims on the way to Albero are called... Peregrinos Enfadados (as in, Angry Pilgrims. Like Mildly Infuriated Pilgrims)

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I greatly appreciate how the title of this video came to be.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The idea of a boss you only have have one chance to beat is kinda weird, I wonder what gave them that idea. I mean it's antithetical to every modern game I can think of that doesn't have an iron-man mode.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Tombot posted:

The idea of a boss you only have have one chance to beat is kinda weird, I wonder what gave them that idea. I mean it's antithetical to every modern game I can think of that doesn't have an iron-man mode.

There’s a story spoiler reason for it iirc. And as I mentioned you still get the reward if you lose, but it appears much later on.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

the Enraged Pilgrims on the way to Albero are called... Peregrinos Enfadados (as in, Angry Pilgrims. Like Mildly Infuriated Pilgrims)

This just makes me think of an enemy called something like "the irritated dude," and it makes me giggle inside.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I forget if I mentioned it yet, but Enraged Pilgrims just slowly charge at you with their knife - and since they don't actually swing the knife at all, they cannot be parried.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Q: What's the strongest bone in the Penitent One's body?
A: The Blas-femur :haw:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

C-Euro posted:

:golfclap:

pdpreciousroy
Jan 18, 2020

C-Euro posted:

Aw no. How did the kickstarter backers miss that opportunity!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Really? I'd have said his tailbone.

'Cause he's so Orthococcyx. Wow, that was a reach.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

there is a chapel in czech republic that is decorated by the skeletons of an estimated 40,000 - 70,000 people

wiki: nsfw for images of human bones https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedlec_Ossuary

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

One of the few neat places in the world I can actually say I've visited. Even took a bunch of pictures, but sadly this was before the age of digital cameras so it's physical photos.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

NinetySevenA posted:

there is a chapel in czech republic that is decorated by the skeletons of an estimated 40,000 - 70,000 people

wiki: nsfw for images of human bones https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedlec_Ossuary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVoPG9HtYF8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Lore for Update 5