Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I find it VERY amusing that there is a building that was designed to evoke the religious milieu from the Divine Comedy, especially since, y'know, it's not a canonical book.

Just goes to show that literature analysis has been lacking in humanity for a very long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

As I've mentioned in these videos, the prayers (spells) the Penitent One uses in Blasphemous are named after real genres of Spanish folk music. I thought it would be interesting and informative to provide examples of each song type we've encountered so far:

Saeta (Andalusian religious song)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzsmDzZj7Xw

Seguiriya (variant of cante jondo flamenco)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWdH0C9Pc98

Verdiales (Andalusian variant of the fandango played in E phrygian)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjjy3j7O5Ig

Zarabanda (dance for couples)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zquRefvoLw

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

One minor correction, the DLC release order was Stir of Dawn (NG+ and Echoes of Salt), Strife and Ruin (crossover + a sidequest) and then Wounds of Eventide.

Tres Angustias, besides the painting, is also maybe inspired by the play La casa de Bernarda Alba, where the titular Bernarda gets widowed and orders 10 years of mourning where none of his household can leave the house. Mostly because of the veils they wear and there being 3 sisters on the play. Also fun fact, Angustias (Spanish for Anxieties) is an actual Spanish name! Yeah, beautiful name.

also i hate how smooth it went this boss is a loving pain with how easy it is for them to drop you to the fire which kills you

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

also i hate how smooth it went this boss is a loving pain with how easy it is for them to drop you to the fire which kills you

For me it was the spear attack, which is basically identical to the Ghastly Baroness' attack.

Verdiales works wonders for this boss, especially because it deals damage to each individual sister when they're split up.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
I'm replaying along with you. I love the atmosphere of this game, and this is a great way to do the Wounds of Eventide to head into Blasphemous 2.

The hoppers to me always looked like they had the wattles of chickens/roosters. I can't not see them that way.

Try sliding under the ghastly baroness and their ilk - the beam can't keep up with the slide. That and attacking them aggressively led to them being dangerous but not terrible.

I believe it was Tres Angustias that gave me the most trouble for a long time in this game, partly because of dropping into the fire or knocking me off from the wall (into the fire). I didn't trust Viridiana and was also running out of health flasks.

You mentioned the Chick tracts, and that brought up unpleasant memories. I first saw them in college, and they were somewhere between horrifying and farcical. I keep going back and forth on whether this game would have caused frothing at the mouth 15-20 yrs ago; it's decidedly Catholic, and evangelical Protestants (aka evangelical Christians) don't necessarily see Catholics as Christians. Catholics have all this praying to icons and things that aren't God (aka Saints). --I wish I was kidding, but I've had to explain this to other protestants. I can't decide if Chick would have written one of his screeds or not, and if he had, if it would have been against video games or against Catholics.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I missed it: so Viridiana show up in front of every boss room until you accept her help three times? Or is she only available for this starting trio of bosses?

Also yes, a massive bell buried upside-down is a cool as gently caress set piece. Doesn't seem like it should be terribly resonant though, what with being surrounded (at least on the outside) by dirt.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

C-Euro posted:

I missed it: so Viridiana show up in front of every boss room until you accept her help three times? Or is she only available for this starting trio of bosses?

There are two other bosses she can help with if you keep her alive, which we値l see later.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Given that everyone in Cvstodia appears to worship suffering I知 on the verge of calling them satanists, and I知 an atheist.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

C-Euro posted:

Also yes, a massive bell buried upside-down is a cool as gently caress set piece. Doesn't seem like it should be terribly resonant though, what with being surrounded (at least on the outside) by dirt.
I think it's more like a... loudspeaker for the real bell down inside it. Something to create echoes and allow the smaller bell ring out much louder and farther than it would be normally.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Given that everyone in Cvstodia appears to worship suffering I知 on the verge of calling them satanists, and I知 an atheist.

I see you weren't raised in a country/society that was/is predominantly Catholic.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Lore for Update 6

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Carnal in this context means 'meaty'. Our current use is a slang/metaphor that became dominant.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Carnal in this context means 'meaty'. Our current use is a slang/metaphor that became dominant.

For the same etymological origin as carnival.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
That gives me an idea for a DnD item: "The book of Carnival desires", it can summon stuff like Corndogs and Toffee Apples.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

50-mission cap joke was good

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

biosterous posted:

50-mission cap joke was good

I worked it in to look like that.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

:haibrower:

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I'd love to watch an LP of The Shivah, with you doing commentary.

And yes, in a Metrodvania, it is a sin to not explore.

I'm glad you explained you were deliberately doing a low percent run first, because I was going a little nuts as you passed by certain doors in this last video.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah, the voice cast in Spanish is pretty phenomenal, and most of them are pretty famous dubbers. Esdras is the current dub for Imnsomiac's Spider-Man, Tirso (kissing man) was Ansem and Scar on the loving dub of Kingdom Hearts II which is saying something, and Our Lady of Only Fans was the narrator for the old GoW games. Candelaria's doesn't have a video game resume but she was Dende and Chaozu in DBZ if you need joke material.

There's one later on who is hilarious for various motives but of course I'll wait until then.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Lone Badger posted:

hmmmmm
and mentioning mexican spanish

i could go for some carnitas

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Tombot posted:

That gives me an idea for a DnD item: "The book of Carnival desires", it can summon stuff like Corndogs and Toffee Apples.

I could致e sworn I read that in West of Loathing.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I had always thought that the people who were larger than normal had all been touched by the Miracle, or the Miracle was beginning to work upon them, as opposed to there being a race of giants or people having a wider range of height.

I don't think there's any lore that indicates why this is, which leaves it up to whatever reason one feels best fits the world.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Dang, already halfway done? Doesn't feel like we've done thaaaat much. I guess NG+ holds more content than usual for this type of game?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

I know that I quoted this post earlier, but I was told an example just recently and now I feel like a loving idiot for not getting it earlier. Obliterate means, literally, to erase. Ob-literate - remove writing.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

C-Euro posted:

Dang, already halfway done? Doesn't feel like we've done thaaaat much. I guess NG+ holds more content than usual for this type of game?

Blasphemous isn't terribly long, which is a good thing as it makes it easier to replay.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

C-Euro posted:

As I've said before I'm doing three playthroughs. The first playthrough is 10 videos long, and my guess is that the LP as a whole will be about 20-25 videos.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I started playing this game thanks to this LP after it languished in my Steam library. I've been having an okay time, though the game hosed me on a few quest endings for rather unfair reasons and one outright bug.
I think the devs must have done some serious rebalancing because I'm not really seeing the issues with damage other people seem to talk about, with the exception of exactly one late-game area.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Lore for Update 7

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Hell yeah our boy Melequiades, raise your hands up :skeltal:

Sacristan is a real word, it refers to the guys who keep guard of relics, helps with the cleaning and maintenance of churches and help with mass. In other words, church janitors.

On the elements, there's also poison elements, but honestly it's a weak point in the game in that the only real tell of what element an attack is is the flash you get on hit, fire is red, poison is green, magic is blue/purple... which leads to some dumb discoveries like our boy Melequiades? All his attacks are physical. Even the beams. In fact, the purple beams of Tres Angustias? Physical. Turns out every mage is Cvstodia is running a Str build.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

They're all muscle wizards.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I swear, it must be a running joke for the animators to put intestines into every single execution animation. Also I don't think it was mentioned in the video but exhuming saints and then parading their bodies around is apparently a thing that happens in catholicism, which is likely what inspired this.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Samovar posted:

They're all muscle wizards.

Well, "Fist" has always been a pretty powerful spell.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Skeleton Pope* is metal as gently caress :black101:

*yes I know not actually a pope

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

C-Euro posted:

Skeleton Pope* is metal as gently caress :black101:

*yes I know not actually a pope

Well, his namesake was a pope! The game does state he's an archbishop in his title. Probably easier to do a Weekend At Bernie's with a lower rank.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Seraphic Neoman posted:

I'm not really seeing the issues with damage other people seem to talk about, with the exception of exactly one late-game area.

If that's the area I think it is, it was added as DLC and it is so much harder than the rest of the game it's not even funny. We'll be seeing that in New Game+

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Steam is holding a Metroidvania Fusion sale until the 11th

Blasphemous is 75% off.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/774361/Blasphemous/

And a bunch of other bundle deals too.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

quote:

(in Knot of the Three Words, ~8:45)...of course it's in the basement of a church

Not quite. It will be the center point around which the church was built.

About a decade ago, I visited Israel on a tour aimed for Christians, which meant we went to a large number of places where the Church believes biblical events occurred - the biggest being https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Holy_Sepulchre. They built the church on top of the place where their best estimate was that the crusifiction took place.

Likewise, for the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_Nativity, as well as the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_the_Annunciation.

This is a Thing, in the Holy Land. Figure out where a biblical event took place, build a church on top. Sometimes quite literally. (I can't find it now, but in one of the villages where Jesus was thought to have taught, they excavated it and built the church standing over it like an umbrella structure.)

Playing this game definitely reminds me at points of that trip, and what it is like to walk in those places.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Lore for Update 8

Updates will pause for a week (hopefully not more) while we get our schedules re-oriented, but things will be back on track soon enough!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sacrilege? No. Blasphemous? Certainly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

One tiny correction, Librarians don't start attacking when you look at them like Boos, they start when you step on the papers on the floor, and good reason you philistines.

Also Library key guy is the one NPC I mentioned earlier, because his VA is famous among other things for being Solid Snake in the single Spanish dub for Metal Gear Solid 1! "Ugh Penitent One, I'm trying to do my job but these librarians are dummy thick and the banging on the walls keep activating the ghosts"