Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

theenglishman posted:

Lore for Update 8

Updates will pause for a week (hopefully not more) while we get our schedules re-oriented, but things will be back on track soon enough!

(quoting since it was at the bottom of the last page)

Candelaria is truly blessed by the Miracle to have gotten deep into the bowels of the Mother of Mothers the instant it unlocked and set up a new shop.

Also I don't know if they patched it, but X-Potato Exposito used to have a very rude attack bug/interaction where that tailspike from below would finish even if he died while it was still hovering underneath the stage. Picture defeating the boss, the flames covering everything up, and just as Requiem Aeternam starts to fade away, you just get loving shanked and probably die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
So did this episode end with us burning down the library or did we just burn the wicker effigy instead?

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Tombot posted:

So did this episode end with us burning down the library or did we just burn the wicker effigy instead?

The library is still there. Only Expósito and the wicker cradle were burned.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

theenglishman posted:

The library is still there. Only Expósito and the wicker cradle were burned.

Thanks for the exposition.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Of the little bit I knew about this game before this LP, that baby was far and away my least favorite part. Creeps me the gently caress out.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Archenteron posted:

Also I don't know if they patched it, but X-Potato Exposito used to have a very rude attack bug/interaction where that tailspike from below would finish even if he died while it was still hovering underneath the stage. Picture defeating the boss, the flames covering everything up, and just as Requiem Aeternam starts to fade away, you just get loving shanked and probably die

I know exactly what you're referring to, but I'm pretty sure that's been patched out.

(this is a URL since the forum code doesn't support YouTube clips, the rest of the video is full of spoilers!)
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxnYlB_RGqp7fjZUQpS51MXHPy4CeGDCt9?si=PE16YCHsVg8RicDF

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

We've finally got our schedules worked out, and uploads will resume on Sunday.

Which, uh, happens to be Easter Sunday. I swear I didn't plan this!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

theenglishman posted:

We've finally got our schedules worked out, and uploads will resume on Sunday.

Which, uh, happens to be Easter Sunday. I swear I didn't plan this!

It's a Christmas Miracle!

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Shout out to anyone who's actually seen the movie we're talking about.

Lore for Update 9

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

theenglishman posted:

Shout out to anyone who's actually seen the movie we're talking about.

Lore for Update 9

Heard of the movie, not seen it.

Also, I only know a little of the way 'lunatics' were treated in Britain back in the day - I can only imagine what it was like for the poor bastards in Spain.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Seen the movie, it felt pretty racist. I'm not sure what the actual living conditions of the Bushmen were back then but I seriously doubt they were as idyllic as they show - especially since the film was produced in apartheid South Africa. Or basically all the scenes with the guerillas.

It's a very white movie.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
Had both movies (yes, there's a sequel) on VHS as a kid, enjoyed watching them both.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Heard about both movies, never seen any of them. Pretty sure they went on tv like once or twice back in the day.

Apparently there's even three unofficial sequels that were produced in Hong Kong.
The first one involves a hopping vampire and a chinese necromancer. :v:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 31, 2024

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

Heard about both movies, never seen any of them. Pretty sure they went on tv like once or twice back in the day.

Apparently there's even three unofficial sequels that were produced in Hong Kong.
The first one involves a hopping vampire and a chinese necromancer. :v:

Actually, five sequels if you include Saga and Magic Cop. :cool:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Actually, five sequels if you include Saga and Magic Cop. :cool:

Alan Wake 2 is about how the ELDER Gods must be crazy, important distinction

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
This second playthrough is becoming more and more intriguing, it feels as though there are many secrets we have yet to plunder.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

CJacobs posted:

Alan Wake 2 is about how the ELDER Gods must be crazy, important distinction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KTbcrmoO_g

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

saw the movie in my youth and all i really remember is the guy muttering "ay yai yai yai yai yai yai yai yai" in a very resigned way when small exasperating things kept happening

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

We have reached the end!

Of the first playthrough.

Of three.

Lore for Update 10

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

You don't need to feel bad about getting the bad ending - ego te absolvo.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Well that was a bummer! I guess this is the "Link the fire" ending, where you continue the cycle even though it clearly sucks.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Philippe posted:

Well that was a bummer! I guess this is the "Link the fire" ending, where you continue the cycle even though it clearly sucks.

It's less the link the fire and more the "you didn't stop the plague" from Hollow Knight, cause despite killing the Pope we didn't do poo poo to fix anything.

Also, in one last bit of wtf weirdness, Escribar's thunder and purple attacks? Physical! So no, he doesn't use all elements, remember Cvstodia mages are all punch wizards! There is one boss that does use all elements though.

...wait, if we killed the Pope shouldn't we become the new Pope? At the very least that's how it worked in the Middle Ages.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

He was the son of the miracle so wasn't he jesus as well as the pope?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I forget what exactly it is you need to do to see the better ending but I believe you never actually showed it off, not even part of it. Still, it will make the second playthrough all the more interesting.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND ANY OF THAT AND IT WAS RAD. Let's go again! Let's go again!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I guess the penitent man doesn't pass after all.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Oh, did you think New Game Plus would be easier?

How does a 75% reduction in melee damage sound?

And that's just the beginning.

Welcome, fellow penitents, to TRUE TORMENT (no really, that's what it's called).

Lore for Update 11

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

New Game plus looks depressing.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I have beaten a few of the NG+ superbosses but I had to work for it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I have to admit, this does seem a bit 'beating your head against the wall' kinda difficulty. Which fits thematically I'll grant you, but does seem... Unfun.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Honestly if you actually did sidequests on your first playthrough to get spells and beads this Penitence is probably the easiest one, cause as with any Dark Souls-insipired game magic is broken and bullshit :v: And also you get reduced damage on melee but not on the blood projectile, so it's actually better to use it.

I'm also pretty sure the shield attack is not a OHKO, besides the fact you can just... move away???, the attack can even be mitigated with fire res, it just deals a shitton of damage.

Also criminal that you didn't post the boss theme, Baile de Violetas is probably the best song in the OST tied with Crisanta's.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I'm also pretty sure the shield attack is not a OHKO, besides the fact you can just... move away???, the attack can even be mitigated with fire res, it just deals a shitton of damage.

I could have sworn that attack was a one-hit kill. I'll know for sure once I beat all the Amanecidas later in this playthrough. I swear, in my memory that attack was a full screen OHKO if you didn't break the shield. I'm not losing it! Well maybe a little. Keep in mind I was going crazy trying to beat that goddamn boss for nearly three hours, I probably wasn't thinking correctly by the end there.

Also a few updates ago you mentioned that there was a character with a notable Spanish voice actor. Have they appeared yet?

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 14, 2024

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

theenglishman posted:

I could have sworn that attack was a one-hit kill. I'll know for sure once I beat all the Amanecidas later in this playthrough. I swear, in my memory that attack was a full screen OHKO if you didn't break the shield. I'm not losing it! Well maybe a little. Keep in mind I was going crazy trying to beat that goddamn boss for nearly three hours, I probably wasn't thinking correctly by the end there.

Also a few updates ago you mentioned that there was a character with a notable Spanish voice actor. Have they appeared yet?

I'm pretty sure at the very least it's only the skull that can damage you and while it hits like a truck it's survivable and you can dodge it by moving away at the price of letting her restore her shield. Granted I never tried beating it with such few resources :v:.

Also yeah, Diosdado back at the library. His Spanish VA is famous for dubbing Snake in the original Metal Gear Solid really well and he's otherwise a very prolific dub actor. I mostly mentioned it cause generally Spanish dubbings in the last few years haven't exactly been... all that great. There's some fun stuff, like KH2 Sora (cause that was the only game to get dubbed) having the VA for Ash Ketchum and Sasuke of all people.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Are we missing the Lore snippet for "Fire encased in enamel" or did we already get that one in a previous update?

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Tombot posted:

Are we missing the Lore snippet for "Fire encased in enamel" or did we already get that one in a previous update?

Good eye! I had that put in the wrong update for some reason

Fire Enclosed in Enamel

Lore posted:

A livid fire arose from the top of the mast, a tongue of fire sometimes white, sometimes blue, dancing wildly and seeming not to diminish at all despite the terrible storm that fell upon us. It was the torch of the Father's finger, pointing down from on high to our boat. The furious light opened up a path through the night and guided us through the storm.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Ignorant yes/no question: can you get the good ending on a first-time playthrough?

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Ignorant yes/no question: can you get the good ending on a first-time playthrough?

The short answer is yes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Some fun trivia about the game cropped up on twitter today. Turns out Larian backed the game for 1000 bucks during the kickstarter campaign and didn't ask for anything in return.

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/actio...hing-in-return/

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

theenglishman posted:

The short answer is yes.

Will you give the long answer once this LP wraps up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Will you give the long answer once this LP wraps up?

Sorry, I didn't mean for that to sound so cryptic! But yes, it is possible for a first-time player to stumble on the Immaculate Bead on their own, and perhaps they might make a connection between that and the Confessor Statues. In other words it is possible to do the (formerly) best ending on a fresh file.