Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

adult rec league sports is where it's at imo, flag football and kickball are the things i look forward to the most every week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
i played a bunch of 500 at recess

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

500 ruled

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The height of my athletic achievements was losing my first, and only, amateur boxing match last year, as a 40-something.

I’m with the guy said put your kids in gymnastics. I did it for like a year before my dad put me into baseball, but I’d have been happier and cooler in high school if I had been ripped and could do backflips, as opposed to riding the bench freshman year then quitting.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

My football highlight was probably scoring four touchdowns in a single game against Andrew Johnson High in the City Championship game. I still remember the play call where I scored on a 75 yard run, “42 blast”. Good stuff.

You probably ended up selling shoes or some poo poo.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I played soccer and softball and loved both of them as a kid until my crippling depression in high school got in to 1st gear. Honestly if I had a kid those are the sports I'd put them in, just sub baseball for softball depending on gender ID. A good friend's niece got a sweet soccer scholorship to play at the UW. My baby sister is on her high school's long distance track team and loves it.

On the other hand I was absolutely a menace when played team sports as a kid. I've mellowed out considerably as an adult and I miss my works coed softball league. That was fun and also how I broke nose.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I was way too skinny in HS to ever do anything but track, I would have snapped in half if I played football

now I just ride my bike a lot

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Febreeze posted:

I was way too skinny in HS to ever do anything but track, I would have snapped in half if I played football

now I just ride my bike a lot

Cycling ftmfw

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Fencing was fun when I did it for a year (for a cheap college credit). Got a small trophy for finishing like 5th in some city tournament--my city, like most, does not fence very much, this doesn't mean I was good at it.

Never got past the foil but apparently if you get into sabre you get to that area where you cause and receive bruises if that's what you crave without the whole brain trauma thing.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

BlindSite posted:

There's some issues with the heading of the ball and concussions apparently but I haven't checked the latest research. Get your kids into BJJ, it'll be an olympic sport in a few years and your kids will be gods if anyone fucks with them by the time they're in their teens, its good for fitness and it humbles you constantly so you don't end up a bully.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Gymnastics is a fantastic start and then they can try what interests them with your approval.

Soccer is an excellent choice and is massively popular with the younger gens proportionately to genX and older in the U.S.

kidcoelacanth posted:

adult rec league sports is where it's at imo, flag football and kickball are the things i look forward to the most every week

Gymnastics is EXPENSIVE but yeah it's a great thing to go into, the earlier the better. Extremely grueling and kids get into it at age 4. So my kid is just in soccer and dislikes it and I'd rather him be in something else. Does BJJ teach anything for standing? That's why I'm assuming judo is better for kids, but judo is RARE when I look into where to get classes, even though it's an olympic sport.

E/N personal deets: I wrestled ~190 in HS, and played center. Wasn't very good at either, but the guy before and after me won state in wrestling at that weight class and we had a lot of other state champs, so the program was too competitive and real unhealthy focus on cutting weight (I got asked to lose 18 pounds in 2 days and ended up fainting) Football had just come off a deep state playoff run as well. Way too much pressure for me, a below average athlete who hasn't grown an inch since 7th grade (and the coaches were positive I would again, hence my position). Also way, way way way too much 'play through the pain' poo poo and had injuries it took me years to heal from because of the macho attitude by bad coaches. Then played rugby after college and gave it up after a year when I kept seeing stars. Had probably a dozen concussions (half unconscious) growing up on a farm/country life stuff, so always been susceptible.

Did the adult rec leagues like frisbee (got 9 stitches when I caught an elbow right above the eye), softball (first game someone tried to knock me over, fell down, came up swinging, I quit immediately), flag football (full contact line, had people throwing punches at my throat because I kept using old man holds and trips on them from my playing days), kickball (also saw fights there).
In hindsight I probably was way too used to physical contact in sports and other people would freak out and start trying to fight. Although I did have one flag football game against a guy who'd played OT for the Saints, and he was completely chill and would simply toss me to the ground every time he touched me. I don't bruise easily but had handprint bruises all over the next day, I've never seen someone that big/strong but also light on their feet.

Then began adult gymnastics when I turned 30 to see if it would help my messed up back (herniated discs when i was 17 and 29). It actually did, turns out handstands are one of the greatest exercises you can do for core strength starting out. But I was heavy/tall for the sport and didn't have all the infinite stabilizer muscles everyone else did, and separated my shoulder on parallel bars, had some other injuries, and gave up. Was always too scared to do backflips but did frontflips just fine, and the rings were a blast. Did get to know some crazy people including a guy who's made it to the final round in ninja warrior repeatedly.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 2, 2024

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Hot Diggity! posted:

Cycling ftmfw

Hell yeah

I just bought a Brooks saddle and my sitz bones are crying lol

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
My girlfriend was a swimmer and got a poors pity scholorship for crew, so those are good if you've got a kid who likes the water and/money. The crew experience set her up with some serious connections that she uses even 20 years later. Being good at rich people sports when you're not rich can be a solid ticket up the ladder sometimes.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Waltzing Along posted:

You probably ended up selling shoes or some poo poo.

Eh, it’s a living. My wife is annoying but has a great rack, nothing is perfect.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yeesh mate

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Eh, it’s a living. My wife is annoying but has a great rack, nothing is perfect.

Lol

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

I'm assuming the rack you're talking about is the exercise rack.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm thinking it's more Al Bundy.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Nervous posted:

I'm assuming the rack you're talking about is the exercise rack.

Ribs. What else would it be?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

lol

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

You've probably got great neighbors though

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Hey, introduce me to your daughter.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

https://marriedwithchildren.fandom.com/wiki/Four_Touchdowns

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Oooooohhhhhh

:shobon:

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Hey, introduce me to your daughter.

Prepare for your face to be introduced to the wall and door on the way out once he comes home and catches you making out with her on the couch.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

trevorreznik posted:

Gymnastics is EXPENSIVE but yeah it's a great thing to go into, the earlier the better. Extremely grueling and kids get into it at age 4. So my kid is just in soccer and dislikes it and I'd rather him be in something else. Does BJJ teach anything for standing? That's why I'm assuming judo is better for kids, but judo is RARE when I look into where to get classes, even though it's an olympic sport.

E/N personal deets: I wrestled ~190 in HS, and played center. Wasn't very good at either, but the guy before and after me won state in wrestling at that weight class and we had a lot of other state champs, so the program was too competitive and real unhealthy focus on cutting weight (I got asked to lose 18 pounds in 2 days and ended up fainting) Football had just come off a deep state playoff run as well. Way too much pressure for me, a below average athlete who hasn't grown an inch since 7th grade (and the coaches were positive I would again, hence my position). Also way, way way way too much 'play through the pain' poo poo and had injuries it took me years to heal from because of the macho attitude by bad coaches. Then played rugby after college and gave it up after a year when I kept seeing stars. Had probably a dozen concussions (half unconscious) growing up on a farm/country life stuff, so always been susceptible.

Did the adult rec leagues like frisbee (got 9 stitches when I caught an elbow right above the eye), softball (first game someone tried to knock me over, fell down, came up swinging, I quit immediately), flag football (full contact line, had people throwing punches at my throat because I kept using old man holds and trips on them from my playing days), kickball (also saw fights there).
In hindsight I probably was way too used to physical contact in sports and other people would freak out and start trying to fight. Although I did have one flag football game against a guy who'd played OT for the Saints, and he was completely chill and would simply toss me to the ground every time he touched me. I don't bruise easily but had handprint bruises all over the next day, I've never seen someone that big/strong but also light on their feet.

Then began adult gymnastics when I turned 30 to see if it would help my messed up back (herniated discs when i was 17 and 29). It actually did, turns out handstands are one of the greatest exercises you can do for core strength starting out. But I was heavy/tall for the sport and didn't have all the infinite stabilizer muscles everyone else did, and separated my shoulder on parallel bars, had some other injuries, and gave up. Was always too scared to do backflips but did frontflips just fine, and the rings were a blast. Did get to know some crazy people including a guy who's made it to the final round in ninja warrior repeatedly.

Trips, throws and takedowns etc mostly but BJJ doesn't allow for striking. Even still it gets you over that shock of contact and confrontation. Judo would be fine as well, no doubt but a lot of BJJ schools teach the same throws if they train in a gi. Live training is the only way to go with martial arts and BJJ allows the most reps with the least risk of brain injury.

I don't miss the headaches I got from rugby. Playing openside flanker was fun as gently caress but making 30 tackles a game and having to put my head where some people wouldn't put there feet lead to some interesting experiences.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 2, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

BlindSite posted:

Trips, throws and takedowns etc mostly but BJJ doesn't allow for striking. Even still it gets you over that shock of contact and confrontation. Judo would be fine as well, no doubt but a lot of BJJ schools teach the same throws if they train in a gi. Live training is the only way to go with martial arts and BJJ allows the most reps with the least risk of brain injury.

I don't miss the headaches I got from rugby. Playing openside flanker was fun as gently caress but making 30 tackles a game and having to put my head where some people wouldn't put there feet lead to some interesting experiences.

Oh, sweet. That's all you need from standing for a kid and there's a million more BJJ schools than judo ones. Thanks.

And yeah I played blindside flanker (badly). I'm slow as poo poo and have no acceleration in any sport, oh well!

I will say some of the upper crust varsity sports I've seen north of me are hilarious. Beyond fencing, sailing and golf I've seen signs for bass fishing teams at the high schools. Now that would just be awesome to do and get a lifetime of use from.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

:patriot:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Freaquency posted:

Hell yeah

I just bought a Brooks saddle and my sitz bones are crying lol

Saddle break-in blows

I'm looking to do at least two century rides this year and with the weather being sort of nice in Chicago I'm so tempted to take my road bike off the trainer but I know poo poo is gonna get worse

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

condolences on the future divorce

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The337th posted:

condolences on the future divorce

Eh it'll turn out ok once he gets into making sweet closets and marries a Colombian.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
My kid’s super into volleyball, shot put, and javelin, I’m pretty satisfied aside from track meets being like 4 hours waiting around for her 3 minutes of participation

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

4 hours? My wife coaches HS track, and 2 of my kids run it, and that poo poo is ALLL loving day, and sometimes spans Friday AND Saturday.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Let us take a moment to appreciate the Nintendo Switch and its accomplishments on the field of parental pee wee sports viewing

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Daddy Mahomes might be heading to prison. 3rd DWI in Texas.

e- https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/patrick-mahomes-sr-arrested-for-dwi-3rd-more/501-7b857768-7b41-4632-977d-2be4d954c719

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dude was hammered with Ravens fans during the tailgating.

He won't go to prison though, because he's rich.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

kiimo posted:

Dude was hammered with Ravens fans during the tailgating.

He won't go to prison though, because he's rich.

The first part would be hilarious if not for the driving intoxicated parts.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Dude is pretty much always hammered.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
how do you pitch for 12 years in the bigs with a career era over 5.5 lol

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheBizzness posted:

how do you pitch for 12 years in the bigs with a career era over 5.5 lol

42-39 as the pitcher of record though somehow. And for most of his career people still thought that meant something I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

He was fun to drink with so they kept him around