Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

People who thought the Lamar-in-playoffs narrative was over after last week, it's going to get so much worse now if anything. Likely 2 MVP years, 1 playoff win total during them, and this was his healthiest (only healthy) year period. Hard to think he'd get a better chance

edit: Also this

Shindragon posted:

loving christ. Please NFC stop them.

. gently caress dynasties forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

shirts and skins posted:

NEVER

DOUBT

KAWALIMUS

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/FourVerts/status/1751786184156619172

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Legitimately one of the worst collapses I’ve ever seen

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I suppose the logic of it makes a technical kind of sense. Any non-1 seed is an overachiever by making the Superbowl. So, the Chiefs are plucky overachievers.

I don't think that kind of definition works in practice. The 49ers, Cowboys, and Lions all won the same number of games and won their divisions. None of them should reasonably be considered a "surprise team" in the Superbowl.

The Niners had been to two other SBs in the prior 11 years, I can see easily them not being considered a surprise

The Cowboys last appeared in one when I was 1 year old. The Lions in their history have never been in one. I and many others absolutely considered the Lions a surprise

https://twitter.com/justin_rogers/status/1751807716824351129?s=46&t=WpdyKLngKj40naRWJ6JgcQ

Dan's correct btw. You're gambling a lot on a) being able to run it back and b) doing so with circumstances around the league likely not as favorable (tougher schedule, and also half the league probably won't be on backup QBs by week 6 [and 75% of it by week 10] again). I think they'll be good; being a clock-hold away from a SB appearance great, difficult to imagine to say the least

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

shirts and skins posted:

So I don't know enough about Detroit sports to say - is this the worst loss in Detroit sports history?

It's tough to compare it in other sports because they've had other teams hit the same basic lows as the 0-16 Lions being at the bottom of their leagues (Tigers had almost 120 losses in 2003, Red Wings were on pace for their most losses ever when COVID happened, and Pistons started this year 3-36 [they're now a much more respectable 6-40]), but with the caveat that those other teams also all had championships (Pistons and Red Wings this millennium, Tigers won in '84 but have appeared in two World Series this millennium), and they're in sports that aren't as reliant on one game in a playoff being the difference maker as NFL, they get multiple games to play. They've been blown out of the water, but it's losing series 3 or 4 games to none. The Pistons were on the losing end of a comebacker in Game 7 of the '05 Finals, but they'd won the championship the year before

It definitely appears like the worst loss in Lions history. In terms of importance, and in terms of how close to their first championship appearance they were, it couldn't have been closer or more significant. For anyone else I'd say they have nothing to feel bad about, I don't know that it's their 28-3 moment, and I still think just coming that close says a lot about how good they were. But a lot more people will remember how it ended than what they did (and the playoff win drought they broke) to even get there, and that's a drat shame :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

shyduck posted:

The one thing that may give the Lions issues is the Packers are looking to be pretty good too. The NFCN title is gonna be a tougher fight

The best thing for them is if the Vikings move on from Cousins and the Bears stay uncertain about QB, either by picking Maye instead of Caleb or by picking someone and keeping Fields too and going the competition route; basically a North that's down to them and the Packers competing for the division. It's not ideal that the Packers are still good/still have QB probably figured out, but the Lions have a better chance against just them than a full division where everyone's set at the position and Kirk's present/healthy