Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Lamar is as successful in the postseason as Rex Grossman. Sucks he can't get it done when he's the most fun player in the league to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

fknlo posted:

I have wrongfully doubted Mahomes yet again. This incredibly flawed team in another Super Bowl

Changing to a shorter passing game offense seems to have helped. Announcers kept mentioning how Mahones was never getting sacked, compare that to the poo poo kicking the Bucs defense did against him

Its not nearly as fun or dynamic an offense but now that he has a solid defense I dont know how you stop him

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Android Apocalypse posted:

A part of me wants the Lions to hold their heads up high for what they accomplished this season but drat they let that one slip away.

They should be proud of their season and build on it. Hell of a year but they've had huge defensive struggles going back to the Seattle game. Just need more talent.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Kirios posted:

This is...man.

The most depressing Super Bowl in my adult life.
Brady Bucs vs mahones was the worst I think , plus the game itself stunk

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Everyone should root for mahones to get to 8 Superbowl wins ASAP to remove Brady (cheating+carried by his defense to 4 of his 7 titles) from the goat status.

Then whoever else can win

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I didn't get a sense from this site or the media that the Lions were overachieving in the postseason. Preseason, sure, but once we hit mid season it was clear the Lions were legit. You can't win 12 games, be surrounded by hype, and have your top coaching assistants being interviewed for HC jobs, and still be "flying under the radar." Definitely on the radar, man.

They lost to the Bears, a team that only slayed bums all year other than Detroit. No one expects a team to win the SB their first year in the playoffs after a decade, unless Tom Brady just signed with you.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

shirts and skins posted:

So I don't know enough about Detroit sports to say - is this the worst loss in Detroit sports history?

Maybe 2013 Red Wings Blackhawks series? They blew a 3-1 lead, Hawks won the cup, and the Red Wings haven't won a playoff series since

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Trading from 28th to 4th or whatever to get Harrison would probably cost the Ravens their entire 2024 draft + future first rounders. Just a fyi in case you are being serious instead of just saying poo poo

I thought you were joking but using some of the trade value charts, yeah this seems about right. The 'value' the Ravens need to trade up that many spots is 1180 and their total value this draft is 1140. Assuming they're in the playoffs again next year a future first is worth like 300 (this year's second value). Ouch.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Rogue Elephant posted:

I just looked it up and its a more even split than you'd think, 32 QBs vs. 26 non-QBs.

My hottest football take is probably that Steve Weatherford (punter/legend) should have won the SBMVP in 2012 over Eli. Pinned the Pats inside the 10 yard line 3 times, never allowed a return, and one of those times led to a safety.

Possibly the greatest pro player the Illini produced since Butkus.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

I'm pretty surprised by this.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I thought SA had a bunch of guys who played at the college level in football?

I'm probably not going to let my kid play contact sports beyond basketball. Too many concussions, too many bad injuries that lingered for decades, and cutting for weight is awful. I probably need to get him into judo or something though

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

BlindSite posted:

There's some issues with the heading of the ball and concussions apparently but I haven't checked the latest research. Get your kids into BJJ, it'll be an olympic sport in a few years and your kids will be gods if anyone fucks with them by the time they're in their teens, its good for fitness and it humbles you constantly so you don't end up a bully.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Gymnastics is a fantastic start and then they can try what interests them with your approval.

Soccer is an excellent choice and is massively popular with the younger gens proportionately to genX and older in the U.S.

kidcoelacanth posted:

adult rec league sports is where it's at imo, flag football and kickball are the things i look forward to the most every week

Gymnastics is EXPENSIVE but yeah it's a great thing to go into, the earlier the better. Extremely grueling and kids get into it at age 4. So my kid is just in soccer and dislikes it and I'd rather him be in something else. Does BJJ teach anything for standing? That's why I'm assuming judo is better for kids, but judo is RARE when I look into where to get classes, even though it's an olympic sport.

E/N personal deets: I wrestled ~190 in HS, and played center. Wasn't very good at either, but the guy before and after me won state in wrestling at that weight class and we had a lot of other state champs, so the program was too competitive and real unhealthy focus on cutting weight (I got asked to lose 18 pounds in 2 days and ended up fainting) Football had just come off a deep state playoff run as well. Way too much pressure for me, a below average athlete who hasn't grown an inch since 7th grade (and the coaches were positive I would again, hence my position). Also way, way way way too much 'play through the pain' poo poo and had injuries it took me years to heal from because of the macho attitude by bad coaches. Then played rugby after college and gave it up after a year when I kept seeing stars. Had probably a dozen concussions (half unconscious) growing up on a farm/country life stuff, so always been susceptible.

Did the adult rec leagues like frisbee (got 9 stitches when I caught an elbow right above the eye), softball (first game someone tried to knock me over, fell down, came up swinging, I quit immediately), flag football (full contact line, had people throwing punches at my throat because I kept using old man holds and trips on them from my playing days), kickball (also saw fights there).
In hindsight I probably was way too used to physical contact in sports and other people would freak out and start trying to fight. Although I did have one flag football game against a guy who'd played OT for the Saints, and he was completely chill and would simply toss me to the ground every time he touched me. I don't bruise easily but had handprint bruises all over the next day, I've never seen someone that big/strong but also light on their feet.

Then began adult gymnastics when I turned 30 to see if it would help my messed up back (herniated discs when i was 17 and 29). It actually did, turns out handstands are one of the greatest exercises you can do for core strength starting out. But I was heavy/tall for the sport and didn't have all the infinite stabilizer muscles everyone else did, and separated my shoulder on parallel bars, had some other injuries, and gave up. Was always too scared to do backflips but did frontflips just fine, and the rings were a blast. Did get to know some crazy people including a guy who's made it to the final round in ninja warrior repeatedly.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

BlindSite posted:

Trips, throws and takedowns etc mostly but BJJ doesn't allow for striking. Even still it gets you over that shock of contact and confrontation. Judo would be fine as well, no doubt but a lot of BJJ schools teach the same throws if they train in a gi. Live training is the only way to go with martial arts and BJJ allows the most reps with the least risk of brain injury.

I don't miss the headaches I got from rugby. Playing openside flanker was fun as gently caress but making 30 tackles a game and having to put my head where some people wouldn't put there feet lead to some interesting experiences.

Oh, sweet. That's all you need from standing for a kid and there's a million more BJJ schools than judo ones. Thanks.

And yeah I played blindside flanker (badly). I'm slow as poo poo and have no acceleration in any sport, oh well!

I will say some of the upper crust varsity sports I've seen north of me are hilarious. Beyond fencing, sailing and golf I've seen signs for bass fishing teams at the high schools. Now that would just be awesome to do and get a lifetime of use from.