Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The patch posted:

• Content of magical chests can now be used in crafting stations.

Praise Jebus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

twistedmentat posted:

I'm not a huge fan of gating content behind bosses. the Big dragon boss loving ended me, even knowing to shoot it in the mouth with an arrow I died to it so quickly. And there really isn't anything i can do other and mine, chop wood and grind the enemies to level up, but i'm level 13 and its just brutal.

It’s interesting that mining gives xp. The only quests I have now will take me to the dragon, so we’re at about the same point in the story. I have been rebuilding harvest home or whatever it’s called for a couple weeks, and I just hit level 20, with the last few levels mostly coming through mining. Will probably hit 21 or 22 before I attempt the dragon.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

For anyone having issues with the castle dragon/wyrm:

Shoot it's mouth with any bow and arrow when it's doing the giant inhale move. It has too much armor outside of this break. Watch it flop and going in and smack it a bunch.

When it summons the bugs, kill them first because they WILL ruin your day. It might feel like you're wasting time but it's worth the breathing room.

Aside from that, it only has like three moves. Melee should do a couple strikes, see what it's about to do and move away. It can be a bit of an endurance fight but so long as you're observant and not spamming attacks, it should go down easily.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Inzombiac posted:

For anyone having issues with the castle dragon/wyrm:

Shoot it's mouth with any bow and arrow when it's doing the giant inhale move. It has too much armor outside of this break. Watch it flop and going in and smack it a bunch.

When it summons the bugs, kill them first because they WILL ruin your day. It might feel like you're wasting time but it's worth the breathing room.

Aside from that, it only has like three moves. Melee should do a couple strikes, see what it's about to do and move away. It can be a bit of an endurance fight but so long as you're observant and not spamming attacks, it should go down easily.

I got wrecked by that guy on my first try... ran away, watched a YT video that showed what you said.. went back and he was shockingly easy and went down on my first try.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Locator posted:

I got wrecked by that guy on my first try... ran away, watched a YT video that showed what you said.. went back and he was shockingly easy and went down on my first try.

There's an interesting thing I've noticed with gaming, that when enough games hit a kind of "standard" where everyone expects any given game to do this thing or that thing, there's a kind of amnesia that kicks in where if the game doesn't work in the way we've come to expect, we miss the obvious.

The boss you're referring to has a more old-school "Nintendo" vibe to it, where you just learn the patterns and tells and you can take it down without getting hit. But the vibe of this game is more Souls-like, so the dodge/roll/hit during an opening approach you'd expect to have to employ will just get you killed.

I'm not really sure what point I'm making here to be honest.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

You're not wrong at all.
I don't think the bosses are especially interesting but I play it for the building and exploration, so it's not a huge issue.

There's enough good foundation that a modest update to the combat system would push it to the Very Good side of the aisle.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

You're not wrong at all.
I don't think the bosses are especially interesting but I play it for the building and exploration, so it's not a huge issue.

There's enough good foundation that a modest update to the combat system would push it to the Very Good side of the aisle.

Yeah, I play for the exploration and base building, etc.. to me the dumb dragon was just a roadblock that I needed to get rid of. I am not really into boss fights at all honestly.. Maybe just because I'm old now. heh..

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Update is a good start. It's not enough to get me to play it again after doing everything, but I'm very interested.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Playing this again with a friend after stopping around the time Helldivers 2 came out for some reason and having a relaxing blast. Even before that break we were moving fairly slowly - we just got the ability to build wells as of a couple days ago. Speaking of the Pike castle dragon we did kind of struggle through it but not because we had trouble dealing with its attacks but because we were stupid and forgot to bring our own workbench to repair our poo poo before the fight and by the time we thought of that we were halfway through (neither of us ever died at the same time) with barely functioning weapons and decided to be stubborn instead of starting again. I had two broken melee weapons and a bow with 4 arrows left when we killed it :dumb:

Though if I had to gripe about something we got through the first Hollow Hall yesterday since we had since far out-leveled it and... the vibe of it was nice but if that's the way all the halls are going to handle difficulty I'm not sure we're going to enjoy the rest of them. The final room just sending a swarm of skeletons at you for literal minutes seemingly designed exclusively for... well, way more than two people wasn't fun at all. The rest of the game has been great with only the two of us, that was the first time we had to start side-eyeing the difficulty.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I did that first hall solo and the end fight started to feel kinda busy on my mage. I tried putting out fireball but they swarmed me so eventually I just walked backwards and spammed wand attacks. Probably won't be able to do the next one solo so I'll have to see if any friends want to join up - how does it work, can I just invite someone to my world or join theirs? Will we both get progression if we are in the same step? What if we're not?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Just leveled up my flame altar to 6, and my endurance went from 335% to 310%. Can't figure it out. Not wearing or eating anything different than I always am.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

TeaJay posted:

I did that first hall solo and the end fight started to feel kinda busy on my mage. I tried putting out fireball but they swarmed me so eventually I just walked backwards and spammed wand attacks. Probably won't be able to do the next one solo so I'll have to see if any friends want to join up - how does it work, can I just invite someone to my world or join theirs? Will we both get progression if we are in the same step? What if we're not?

By stated design, progression is done by world, not character, so having someone join your world should work. However, by experience, I've done quests side by side with other people and one completed the quest and one still has it pending, so anything is possible.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Scruffpuff posted:

Just leveled up my flame altar to 6, and my endurance went from 335% to 310%. Can't figure it out. Not wearing or eating anything different than I always am.

The "+15% health from meat" talent just straight up does nothing. Anything is possible with the current state of the game.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to fix up one of the farm POIs, but I'm finding it very frustrating trying to determine the material and size of the piece. Like, I'm trying to fix a simple roof but it seldom lines up and I get seams or gaps. Any tips for this?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Canuckistan posted:

I'm trying to fix up one of the farm POIs, but I'm finding it very frustrating trying to determine the material and size of the piece. Like, I'm trying to fix a simple roof but it seldom lines up and I get seams or gaps. Any tips for this?

Post screenshots maybe we can tell you what the material is. A lot of the existing buildings have double layered roofs. This can be pretty confusing when you’re trying to restore them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RVT posted:

By stated design, progression is done by world, not character, so having someone join your world should work. However, by experience, I've done quests side by side with other people and one completed the quest and one still has it pending, so anything is possible.

I don't know if my game has just been weird but for quests sometimes one person doing the thing to complete it will complete it for everyone but if the quest involves looting something from a chest then sometimes everyone will need to open a chest while the quest item is still inside to complete the quest OR everyone will need to have the chest item in their inventory to complete it for themselves. If one person already looted the quest item in a chest 99% of the time gifting it to someone's inventory will work but one specific quest, the buried chest at Harvest Homestead, didn't complete for me even when my friend sent the item to my inventory after they looted it. I had to go back after the world respawn to loot the chest myself to complete it - I guess if one person has the quest active then the quest item will still be there instead of just being generic loot. We did the homestead quest when we were still stumbling around though so we have may done something else before noticing my quest hadn't finished.

Since most of the time things seem to get screwy when the quest needs something from a chest our current routine is both of us open the chest and look at it. If the quest completes great but if not one of us loots the chest and if doing that complete the quest then they send the item to the other. The second step has worked every time since the Harvest Homestead quest if the first step doesn't.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

Grenades fix everything. :D

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Did the second hollow hall and while I think it was a bit better when it came to substituting enemy swarms for difficulty boy did it go on for a while. Probably could have cut a stage or two.

The above ground world remains as fun as ever though. There’s always something new and neat to come across. Inevitability that will also make it not nearly as replayable as something with a randomly generated world but that there’s so much of it makes up for that and it hasn’t started to feel old either.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
We just did the second one yesterday too and god it was so long. I broke my weapon twice in there, even repairing at ever opportunity. And we kept getting to a respawn point and going, "ok now THIS one must lead to the boss", but no... There was more.

Also green slime that instantly sets your stamina to zero is such bullshit and feels really bad. As does swinging over pits with broken points that send you to your doom if you don't squint ahead to see exactly what's going on. We both swore off doing any more of those dungeons after that experience.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Weapon durability is something that’s been mildly annoying for a while. I’m a melee character and I’m carrying two 1 handed weapons and one 2 handed. Friend I’m playing with uses magic and I think he carries 3 wands, a staff, and a 1 handed weapon just in case. I don’t think I mind durability in general but I think 1 handed weapons specifically need a bit more.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

Weapon durability is something that’s been mildly annoying for a while. I’m a melee character and I’m carrying two 1 handed weapons and one 2 handed. Friend I’m playing with uses magic and I think he carries 3 wands, a staff, and a 1 handed weapon just in case. I don’t think I mind durability in general but I think 1 handed weapons specifically need a bit more.

Yeah, seems like weapon durability is the primary thing that limits my time away from the base. At least some of the POI's and monster encampments have a place to repair.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I put down a workbench at each of my flames, so i can always fast travel back there, but its a bit annoying when you need a poo poo ton of mats to build.

I really wish there were server settings where you could beef up gathering rates and stuff that is available in like ark, conan and 7DTD

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Squibbles posted:

We just did the second one yesterday too and god it was so long. I broke my weapon twice in there, even repairing at ever opportunity. And we kept getting to a respawn point and going, "ok now THIS one must lead to the boss", but no... There was more.

Also green slime that instantly sets your stamina to zero is such bullshit and feels really bad. As does swinging over pits with broken points that send you to your doom if you don't squint ahead to see exactly what's going on. We both swore off doing any more of those dungeons after that experience.

We did the revelwood one tonight as well, and yeah, we couldn't believe it just kept going and going. The stamina poison slime is deeply unfun, but these devs continue to show that they have an early 2000s mindset when it comes to taking mobility away from the player as a mechanic.

Re the weapon durability complaints, that's been a thing the whole way. We're max level with nearing max level gear, so I can blender through level 15 dudes, and it wasn't a problem with 2 weapons with the repair anvils provided. But for the next one, I'll be bringing 4 weapons.

Game is really close to being good. After finishing exploring the map and doing the remaining hollow halls, we'll be done for awhile. Hopefully whenever we circle back around all this QoL stuff will be worked out.

Also, who is playing on a controller vs kbm? As a melee, I switched to controller and while there is a lot of jank, it's way more fun and effective. I still use kbm when we're in our base, cause dealing with inventory stuff is way easier.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

RVT posted:

We did the revelwood one tonight as well, and yeah, we couldn't believe it just kept going and going. The stamina poison slime is deeply unfun, but these devs continue to show that they have an early 2000s mindset when it comes to taking mobility away from the player as a mechanic.

Re the weapon durability complaints, that's been a thing the whole way. We're max level with nearing max level gear, so I can blender through level 15 dudes, and it wasn't a problem with 2 weapons with the repair anvils provided. But for the next one, I'll be bringing 4 weapons.

Game is really close to being good. After finishing exploring the map and doing the remaining hollow halls, we'll be done for awhile. Hopefully whenever we circle back around all this QoL stuff will be worked out.

Also, who is playing on a controller vs kbm? As a melee, I switched to controller and while there is a lot of jank, it's way more fun and effective. I still use kbm when we're in our base, cause dealing with inventory stuff is way easier.

Bring some stamina stuff for the third one, ran out of rested for the fights at the end

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So far the only time weapon durability was an actual problem was in Pikeman's Reach because there were just so many nooks to search and things to fight and I didn't want to go back out. Everywhere else in the world, so far, we've just put down an altar and workbench or just teleported back to home if we had a bunch of stuff to drop off anyways and picked the altar up when we teleported back. But after the second Hollow Hall my brain is going to be thinking "Well it's only been 2 fights but I have no idea how long this section is going to be so better head back to the last anvil just in case."

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Sure wish I'd brought a slower glider to the last dungeon, so many deaths mastering the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...

Jusupov posted:

Sure wish I'd brought a slower glider to the last dungeon, so many deaths mastering the way

I quite often wish there was a way to rappel/parachute straight down. I've dug down a couple of times, but it's not ideal. Also you can place a grapple point if you've got a handy shrine.

Not helpful for dungeons, sorry :-/