Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Vasudus posted:

Yes to all of that.

Quests are a big source of xp too so they'll have a harder time catching up in levels too. It's not an impossible barrier but it's an annoying one.

Fortunately moving progression to player-based is the current top requested feature on their website so maybe they'll do something about it.

They did in fact say they will do something about it, and that it's high on their priority list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If you missed it they also have a feedback board where you can submit/vote for features you want to see in the game.

https://enshrouded.featureupvote.com/

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
The exploration is starting to drag a bit. I keep finding interesting areas and after navigating through them i'm treated to another forest longbow or apprentice wand from like a shiny golden chest.

It feels like Skyrim where most chests or dungeon rewards are usually shite and you're there just because of a quest really.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So my friend and I played a second session and I'm worried about the difficulty.

At first, when we bumped into Rookmore and the first Elixir Well, the level 3 enemies were an insurmountable difficulty increase and we died repeatedly. Good, working as intended; we got some better gear, gained a level or two, and went back with a better grasp of the mechanics.

That was all in the first session; we played again last night and there was a troubling lack of increasing difficulty; we did another settler vault and explored a lot of the area past Rookmore, and the combat wasn't really putting up either new challenges or bigger numbers.

I hope we find something that Dark Souls us into the ground next game, or it's going to get pretty boring.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
That was a complaint I had about the game, huge lack of enemy variety and enemy animation variety and a good chunk of the enemies are taken up by the blue tutorial zombies that take 2 years to swing their weapon and get stunlocked easily.

My advice is just keep pushing forward into higher level areas until something scary shows up and upping the flame altar level to get rid of deadly fog.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I mistakenly didn't build an Altar near the Capitol and then died and now I don't want to make the trek all the way back :negative:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

KingKapalone posted:

I heard about the server side progression. How annoying is that? If some of us play one day and then a new person joins in the next, are they going to be pretty annoyed missing out on the early part of the game experience? Will they be lost since I assume the initial quests are guiding you in what to do?
Yes and it's really annoying at first, but the game mitigates it somewhat:

- Items aren't soulbound and have no level requirements so anything that high-level players find can be used by new players
- Same goes for buff foods/elixirs so new players can be buffed to the gills
- Shroud roots in Elixir Wells and elsewhere respawn so new players can still chop them down for skill points
- Power leveling is a thing and if someone is running a healer build then areas 10+ levels higher can be quite survivable even for melee (though we had like 2-3 whizzards/archers nuking things and drawing aggro)

There are still personal quests to do and places to reveal on your map for XP so it's not like everything is locked out.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Ash1138 posted:

Yes and it's really annoying at first, but the game mitigates it somewhat:

- Items aren't soulbound and have no level requirements so anything that high-level players find can be used by new players
- Same goes for buff foods/elixirs so new players can be buffed to the gills
- Shroud roots in Elixir Wells and elsewhere respawn so new players can still chop them down for skill points
- Power leveling is a thing and if someone is running a healer build then areas 10+ levels higher can be quite survivable even for melee (though we had like 2-3 whizzards/archers nuking things and drawing aggro)

There are still personal quests to do and places to reveal on your map for XP so it's not like everything is locked out.

Some of us will play tonight but I know a few will start soon after. I imagine the first "tutorial" quests come and go quickly, so that's what I'm mainly worried about for those joining later. They going to miss out learning what this flame I've seen discussed does?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

KingKapalone posted:

Some of us will play tonight but I know a few will start soon after. I imagine the first "tutorial" quests come and go quickly, so that's what I'm mainly worried about for those joining later. They going to miss out learning what this flame I've seen discussed does?
Might just need to fill them in on it. Only need one flame at one base to be upgraded for everyone to benefit anyway. Honestly I don't even know if sparks are used for anything else. Just make sure they craft/equip a grapple, glider, tools, etc.

The most daunting thing I think is being completely overwhelmed by the POIs on the map that other players have unlocked.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I do not like the fog areas with the ugly creatures.

Is kind of the point of the game, but I enjoy more when I am trekking through a fantasy land digging ruins, than when the game is Fallout Fantasy.

I would enjoy the game more if there where a human faction and some politics going on or other alternates to just the fog.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I found out you can extend roads using the rake and get the movement bonus around your base. This is nice if you like having your crafters in their own buildings, you can pave a path between them to make it quicker to get around. It's a bit wonky to get it to spread roads instead of the surrounding terrain, seems like you have to swing the rake a few times to build up road underneath before pushing it forward.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

idiotsavant posted:

Make a rake at the workshop first to flatten things out. place your farm soil a little high, too or you’ll end up with a bunch of poo poo sticking out and it’s impossible to clean up and unbuilding it starts putting giant craters in your new farm and makes the whole thing a mess. Building could definitely use some fine-tuning, and probably some rough tuning too

I hope they fix the rake bug soon. I didn't know I needed to make one before level 5 so now I can't make one at all. So if I want lots of farm soil I need to make lots of farm soil and I can't level stuff. Eh.. oh well!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

One mechanic which intrigues me is taking over an abandoned village like I've seen from some pictures and basically refurbishing it. How viable is this? Can you have enough space for the NPC's to drop a crafting table in, even if you don't build full-on houses for them? I would just love taking an abandoned building as my base of operations and grow my empire of NPC's.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TeaJay posted:

One mechanic which intrigues me is taking over an abandoned village like I've seen from some pictures and basically refurbishing it. How viable is this? Can you have enough space for the NPC's to drop a crafting table in, even if you don't build full-on houses for them? I would just love taking an abandoned building as my base of operations and grow my empire of NPC's.

It's just as viable as building a base from scratch.
Your available building area is dependent on the strength of your altar, not where you place it, per se.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

The Locator posted:

I hope they fix the rake bug soon. I didn't know I needed to make one before level 5 so now I can't make one at all. So if I want lots of farm soil I need to make lots of farm soil and I can't level stuff. Eh.. oh well!

What bug is this? I think I got level 5 last night...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

What bug is this? I think I got level 5 last night...

The first rake recipe disappears after level 5 (not sure if that means you have to craft BEFORE level 5 or before level 6). Later you get a better recipe (scrappy rake I think) but part of that recipe is the basic rake. Since the basic rake recipe no longer exists, you can't craft the more advanced one either if you don't already have a rake.

Edit: I just logged in and checked, and I have the rake recipe in my workbench now. Either the patch fixed it, or me loading the game onto a different computer did. Either way, I have a rake now!

The Locator fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 1, 2024

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Locator posted:

The first rake recipe disappears after level 5 (not sure if that means you have to craft BEFORE level 5 or before level 6). Later you get a better recipe (scrappy rake I think) but part of that recipe is the basic rake. Since the basic rake recipe no longer exists, you can't craft the more advanced one either if you don't already have a rake.

Edit: I just logged in and checked, and I have the rake recipe in my workbench now. Either the patch fixed it, or me loading the game onto a different computer did. Either way, I have a rake now!

I thought this as well but then the basic rake showed back up later.
Game is wild sometimes.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J446JjJYe2o

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Saw an article that recommended placing a base in one of the big Inns you find in the abandoned town, the one they were using gave them 25 comfort off the bat apparently.

https://pcgamer.com/if-youre-looking-for-a-new-base-in-enshrouded-this-three-story-tavern-with-a-25-comfort-buff-is-the-perfect-fixer-upper/

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

RandomBlue posted:

Saw an article that recommended placing a base in one of the big Inns you find in the abandoned town, the one they were using gave them 25 comfort off the bat apparently.

https://pcgamer.com/if-youre-looking-for-a-new-base-in-enshrouded-this-three-story-tavern-with-a-25-comfort-buff-is-the-perfect-fixer-upper/

That's a pretty cool base.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

If you want to move your base, do you pull up your upgraded flame and get all the mats back, or do you pretty much need to leave your original flame down, place a new one and then go back and upgrade that original one as needed?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
In a very D&D GM Voice:

Brave adventurer, your travels have brought you to the Mystical Temple of the Sun! Grand treasures await within!

Hark! The door is sealed. You will find no entry here.

Lo! for surrounding the Mystical Temple of the Sun are Several Smaller Temples, each with a dire challenge you must face! Surely, with time, and effort, you can prevail over these challenges and gain access to the-

t-to the-

what are you doing

WHAT ARE YOU DOING

NO THIS CAMPAIGN WAS SUPPOSED TO LAST ALL NIGHT

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Meiteron posted:

In a very D&D GM Voice:

Brave adventurer, your travels have brought you to the Mystical Temple of the Sun! Grand treasures await within!

Hark! The door is sealed. You will find no entry here.

Lo! for surrounding the Mystical Temple of the Sun are Several Smaller Temples, each with a dire challenge you must face! Surely, with time, and effort, you can prevail over these challenges and gain access to the-

t-to the-

what are you doing

WHAT ARE YOU DOING

NO THIS CAMPAIGN WAS SUPPOSED TO LAST ALL NIGHT

Lol.. I have to think that at some point they will have to make areas protected from us just digging our way to wherever we want to go.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Locator posted:

If you want to move your base, do you pull up your upgraded flame and get all the mats back, or do you pretty much need to leave your original flame down, place a new one and then go back and upgrade that original one as needed?

Moving your base, or even moving the flame around, will make you cry quickly if you don't do it right. Pull up your flame without a plan, and in 30 seconds EVERYTHING in radius is destroyed forever, with no material refunds. So the hot setup is to put down a new flame where you want it, upgrade it to the proper radius, and only take down the original flame once you're 100% certain nothing in its radius matters any more, and anything you do want to keep is in the radius of a flame you're keeping.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
About 25 hours in, game has some great bones. I think my biggest complaint is the itemization is too RNG - I lucked out with a legendary axe at level 4 and didn't replace it until almost level 20. I think if POIs had more specific loot tables, there'd be a reason beyond quests to visit them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

Moving your base, or even moving the flame around, will make you cry quickly if you don't do it right. Pull up your flame without a plan, and in 30 seconds EVERYTHING in radius is destroyed forever, with no material refunds. So the hot setup is to put down a new flame where you want it, upgrade it to the proper radius, and only take down the original flame once you're 100% certain nothing in its radius matters any more, and anything you do want to keep is in the radius of a flame you're keeping.

Okay, let me rephrase my question. I knew I would need to move all my stuff first. Is the material used to upgrade the flame strength refunded when I destroy it, or does it all go poof like (AFAIK) the 5 stone for a base flame? Although I've never stuck around for the 30 second counter to finish.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

The Locator posted:

Okay, let me rephrase my question. I knew I would need to move all my stuff first. Is the material used to upgrade the flame strength refunded when I destroy it, or does it all go poof like (AFAIK) the 5 stone for a base flame? Although I've never stuck around for the 30 second counter to finish.

IME you don't get poo poo back. I took over part of a POI for a new base and wanted to pick up my starter, but didn't get anything back from it and the new one was only level one :(

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thankfully sparks respawn at the altars around the map periodically. So be sure to have 10 or so before you make any drastic decisions.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Game is good

Things I hope they improve upon, in no particular order:

1. Like a lot of other people it really annoyed me and my friend that quest progress isn't unique per character, so one of us would play when the other wasn't and content would get eaten up. Funnily enough this isn't always true and somehow we were able to double up on most of the quests for crafting stations, getting two for free.

2. It started to bug me by the time I was done how the world almost fully resets every time you quit out. I can sort of see the logic for some things like being able to rechallenge bosses for better trophies (the last thing I might do in this game is go fight everything again until I can get iron trophies for each); some of what this allows, however, is really dumb, like being able to drop a flame right next to a gold chest somewhere and just reload the world over and over to collect free loot. I personally think things like shroud roots should be permanently gone and the skill point bonuses be the things connected to the world, or have everything on a 24 hour timer or something. Better yet, make this a scaling option in settings for people to pick and choose.

3. Game needs 1-2 more enemy factions and a little more enemy variety within factions in general. Honestly scavengers and shroud zombies at higher levels still work when a fight will put melee and ranged enemies at you at once, but the beastmen have the melee dude, the shaman dude, and the big boss dude, and that's it. Enemies in each biome in Valheim, for example, are completely different from one another and it helps differentiate the biomes from each other.

4. Boss design could be a bit more complex too, I was hoping they'd have another boss like the fellwyrm from the castle courtyard in the game before I ran out of EA content, but they don't. The kindlewaste boss is probably my least favorite of the available five for having only two attacks they spam with absurd tracking. It's ok for not every encounter with a health bar on screen to be a climactic challenge but having 3-4 more in the game would be welcome.

5. Getting into the weeds here a little but I hope they put some thought into how to evolve progression through biomes. Each biome is mechanically identical: find a new tree/2-3 new ores/5-6 new plants, do quests for your NPCs to unlock a new crafting station for everything, craft gear up, repeat. Every quest by those same NPCs is some variation on "go here, then here, then here, collect item, craft station". Those places they send you to are often interesting, certainly, but estimating how much of the map we can access right now we're like 1/3 of the way through the game. I have my doubts that the formula will last for the other 2/3 without some kind of variation, extra environmental challenges, a new NPC, something.

Still even if this game turns out to be just more of what we've gotten in a year or two I'll be happy with the purchase. I kind of don't want to make this comparison because I can almost hear the eye rolling that's about to commence but the last time I got anything remotely like the sense of exploration and discovery I got in Enshrouded by just picking a direction and walking, I was playing Elden Ring. It's good company to be in.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think the part they did very well on the game is the hand-crafted world and the "scavenger hunt for treasure chests in the ruins" is pretty fun, especially when it's voxel based and you can destroy chunks of those ruins to find secrets, it helps that the game is decently pretty too and the houses and cities are all fairly detailed and mostly aren't empty, with only a few houses I've come across that didn't make sense like no staircases to a empty second floor.

Aside from that the game is still lacking a lot of game and might be worth checking back in a few years, and it really should get a zelda bloodmoon event to reset the treasure spawns instead of the degenerate "logout, loot, repeat" endgame progression it right now has.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 2, 2024

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I need to watch a farming tutorial or my game is bugged.

I have farming ground in my inventory, but have not way to deploy it on the land. Even if I "equip" it.

I trough it would appear has available block in the crafting table, or magically available has block to use with the hammer, landscaping. But nope. Is only a item in my inventory, not something I can put down in the world.

I am going to need a lot of flax and stuff is going to be a problem soon.

Also, if theres tomatoes, it mean America exist in this game, since tomatoes come from america.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The Locator posted:

I tried every variation of workarounds to "manually" fix the bug and get the rake (some of which, I assume, are also just troll-advice), but still no dice.
So whichever patch was deployed apparently didn't definitively fix the issue.

Big ol' bummer

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

If anyone has been, understandably, put off from going magic in the early game, be assured that it really improves by mid and late game. It really "just" needs some skill points and a few decent items. The mana regen ring (ring of rapacity, easy to get, plenty of guides) makes mana a non issue so the infinite staff charges become totally viable. I need to find out how to get the acid one as it it is hilariously OP. Now the ring is maybe busted, but who knows if/when it'll be changed. Same ring also makes it possible to spam the glider a stupid amount.
It's definitely more involved of a type, but even I'm managing alright I'm pretty bad.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 2, 2024

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

Tei posted:

I have farming ground in my inventory, but have not way to deploy it on the land. Even if I "equip" it.

I trough it would appear has available block in the crafting table, or magically available has block to use with the hammer, landscaping. But nope. Is only a item in my inventory, not something I can put down in the world.

With the farm soil in you inventory use the Construction Hammer and scroll down to Terrain and then ctrl plus mouse up/down till you got Farm Soil.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

^^^^
Then use the trick from the rake video above to multiply it
(apologies to the rake bug people, that must suck)

----

I had a look at the game reddit last night (I was drunk, don't judge me please) and there are some incredible player creations there. Also loads of lovely memes and bad takes, but credit where it's due, there are so amazing buildings.

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 2, 2024

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I would like to have melee weapons something you equip and jhave a separate button to attack instead of doing the hotbar shuffle.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Turk posted:

With the farm soil in you inventory use the Construction Hammer and scroll down to Terrain and then ctrl plus mouse up/down till you got Farm Soil.

Dirt just does not appear in that menu. Will try again just in case I did something wrong.

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

Dirt is not farm soil. You have to create the farm soil at the farmer. Dirt is an ingredient needed to make the farm soil.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Turk posted:

Dirt is not farm soil. You have to create the farm soil at the farmer. Dirt is an ingredient needed to make the farm soil.

yea, I know, I mean "farm soil", I had farm soul on my inventory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

You can't ctrl mouse to select the farm soil in the terrain section at the bottom?

Your farm soil is in your personal inventory and not a base chest?center?

Did you do the first few farmer quests. Place her special crafting machines?

No clue otherwise.

Turk fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 2, 2024