Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Patch drop last night:

Changelog
Stability and performance
• Fixed several rare crashes.
• Added more security to the saving process to avoid issues with saving, and better protection of the save game in case there is a failure.
• Reduced the CPU load for idle servers.
• Improved performance in large player bases and large crop fields.

Multiplayer and Servers
• Fixed an issue that could prevent joining a server when the previous session was cancelled or crashed.

Game world
• Redistributed roaming enemies in several areas for improved balancing.
• Fixed more cases of enemies with incorrect levels for the region that they are found in.
• Fixed an issue where a Flame Altar near a Shroud Root could lead to the fog in the whole world disappearing. (this isn't how you're meant to save Embervale)
• The game now prevents save points being activated when they are in deadly shroud.
• Fixed an issue that could lead to wax and honey spawning in the player base without having to harvest a hive first.
• Polished several points of interest.
• Tweaked the sounds from Vultures. (we heard you and them! loud and clear)
• Fixed several issues with incorrect ambient sounds.
• Fixed an issue with music in dungeons being muted after combat.
• Fixed the timings of the traps in Spires in multiplayer sessions.

Gameplay
• Fixed cases where the saving of crops when quitting and restarting the game world did not work properly.
• Increased the stamina cost for the jump attack.
• Fixed an issue where players climbing on walls and ladders could interfere with each other. (even though it was funny)
• The water aura no longer heals when the player is dead.
• Reduced the amount of twigs needed to craft arrows.
• Increased the yield of twigs from grown bushes.
• Increased the yield of feathers from their sources.
• Lowered the amount of Flax needed to craft high end armor sets. (it was maybe a bit too much padding)
• Lowered the amount of the resources needed to craft decorative books. (not all books are the Wheel of Time)
• Castle Wall blocks now have the same maximum stack size of 5000 like other building blocks.
• Fixed cases where open doors would block arrows or other projectiles.
• Fixed some rare cases where looted weapons had an incorrect item level.

Building and Terraforming
• Construction hammer no longer allows cutting holes into unbreakable materials like the foundational bedrock material at the bottom of the world. (but it was funny though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Scruffpuff posted:

Game world

• Reduced the amount of twigs needed to craft arrows.
• Increased the yield of twigs from grown bushes.

Well... what the hell am I supposed to do with my planted forest of 5000 bushes now?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The Locator posted:

Well... what the hell am I supposed to do with my planted forest of 5000 bushes now?

Start getting twiggy with it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
How grindy is this game? I like the concept but Valheim was way too grindy for me. Would this be a better alternative?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I’m not super far in to the game, but the only grinding I’ve done is for building stupidly big bases. You’re free to claim existing buildings and repair them as much or as little as you want, so it’s been an optional grind. Playing with more people could increase the grind required, but the way the game works you can grind for resources by doing the following:

Find a place where the resource or enemy spawns
Drop an altar (which you can spawn at or teleport to) close to the resource
Mine or kill what you’re farming
Go to main menu and log back in
The resource or enemy will have respawned

You can get lots of stuff doing it this way, vs Valheim making you find new nodes for most resources

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Getting some of the stuff for late-game armor was pretty grindy but they reduced the amounts required already

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

How grindy is this game? I like the concept but Valheim was way too grindy for me. Would this be a better alternative?

Is very grindy, like all survivals. It does not feel super grindy, because you often are exploring and collecting everything you see. And because many quest to progress require a single item you must extract from a enemy camp. But is very grindy.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Alright, thanks. I heard the map was hand crafted instead of procedural and was hoping for more of a subnautica sort of experience, but I guess not.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mzbundifund posted:

Alright, thanks. I heard the map was hand crafted instead of procedural and was hoping for more of a subnautica sort of experience, but I guess not.

It's not randomized but you can deform the terrain at will. Anything done in your building area stays but outside will regen.

I didn't find it grindy at all but maybe I have a different sense for these things. I made a Roman estate that required a shitload of clay. I dropped an altar near a huge deposit, mined it out while listening to podcasts, relogged so it would regen and did that a few times.

I was doing that for personal reasons. The game never asks you to do poo poo like that. All the objectives are very quick to accomplish. Making high level armor used to be a grind but they patched down the requirements significantly.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

I just unlocked the half timbered block. Clearly, I should have done the ancient spire nearby first, but I didn’t want to. I wound up building stairs up the cliff it was super janky but effective. I had to destroy the flame and run up and plant a new one each time I got to the build limit, but I wasn’t hard blocked from entering that zone. It was up to my own perseverance and problem-solving to get there a different way.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This is important

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR9hJ3tQals

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
The game itself is not grindy at all. You will basically never need to grind to accomplish any of the quests, or unlock new building progression. There's very light, minor grinding if you want to build some kind of megaconstruction personal base out of more rare materials, but tbh gathering rates for practically everything in this game are orders of magnitude better than they are in Valheim.

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...

Leif. posted:

The game itself is not grindy at all. You will basically never need to grind to accomplish any of the quests, or unlock new building progression. There's very light, minor grinding if you want to build some kind of megaconstruction personal base out of more rare materials, but tbh gathering rates for practically everything in this game are orders of magnitude better than they are in Valheim.

I usually massively miscalculate how much raw materials I need for a given construction project and end up with stacks and stacks of overs in a crate or two. Better than not getting enough I suppose.

I've been experimenting with soil types, and have found that fertilised farm soil isn't as big an improvement over normal farm soil as I hoped. Unless you want to grow trees right quick. Wheat grew marginally quicker.
Saffron actually took longer; I've spread some sand at the bottom of my "garden" so I can try another experiment when I can be bothered.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

The road map looks awesome I can’t wait for some of those features.

Died last night by falling from the top of my dwarven cave home to the bottom floor. Strong Valheim flashbacks.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Brain Curry posted:

The road map looks awesome I can’t wait for some of those features.

Died last night by falling from the top of my dwarven cave home to the bottom floor. Strong Valheim flashbacks.

That's a pretty ambitious roadmap for this year. Hope they pull everything off well, it's a great game so far.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I finally clicked with this and got as far as rescuing the Alchemist, but I have a few question.

Is there minable metal in the game or do i rely on metal scraps for the entire thing?
Whats up with the shield. It sometimes rises and other times it doesn't when i try to block.
Shroud protection potions don't seem to work. I had less than 30 seconds left, i took one and nothing happened.
Does rescuing the Carpenter unlock the really cool building sets I've been seeing?
Also, how the hell do you get to him? I tried to follow the waypoint but it took me into super deadly mega shroud where i died instantly.
Or is that a method to prevent you from skipping survivors? I did log out in the Farmers vault but I was too tired to deal with the lighting balls.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I finally clicked with this and got as far as rescuing the Alchemist, but I have a few question.

Is there minable metal in the game or do i rely on metal scraps for the entire thing?
Whats up with the shield. It sometimes rises and other times it doesn't when i try to block.
Shroud protection potions don't seem to work. I had less than 30 seconds left, i took one and nothing happened.
Does rescuing the Carpenter unlock the really cool building sets I've been seeing?
Also, how the hell do you get to him? I tried to follow the waypoint but it took me into super deadly mega shroud where i died instantly.
Or is that a method to prevent you from skipping survivors? I did log out in the Farmers vault but I was too tired to deal with the lighting balls.

Yes.
I think if you miss the window to block it doesn’t move. There’s no iframes in this game so you can’t interrupt their attack animation.
I think you need to take it before going in, and then the buff lasts for 45 minutes of playing. I don’t think it refills the bar, just extends the limit.
Some of them. Other blocks require you to craft equipment or find the blocks out in the world.
I don’t remember if I had to upgrade my flame or not. Each time you upgrade the flame, some previously fatal parts of the shroud will become passable. If it’s not a flame upgrade you’re probably intended to approach from a different place.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

This confused me a lot to start- some of the megadeath shroud becomes normal shroud when you increase your flame level. If you're running into red shroud you need to turn back and do stuff in the area you have access to to upgrade your flame level.

I only just started not too long ago myself, but I've gotten all the crafting NPCs and gone to the city where you fight the third boss. So far I've been having a blast, but I want to know- how much more content does the game have? I imagine it just runs out of content at some point, considering it's early access, but I'd like a little warning before I get to that point so I can slow down and savor things, rather than rushing ahead to an end point.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Metals come in a variety of flavors.
You also need to combine copper and tin to make bronze, which I thought was a nice touch.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

The stuff that needs metal scraps seems to always need metal scraps, but you will out-level it as you get into other metal types which you need to mine, the first one being copper. I stopped playing before I got much beyond that, and by the time I didn't need metal scraps anymore I probably had 400 or more metal scraps in my storage chests.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Brain Curry posted:

Yes.
I think if you miss the window to block it doesn’t move. There’s no iframes in this game so you can’t interrupt their attack animation.
I think you need to take it before going in, and then the buff lasts for 45 minutes of playing. I don’t think it refills the bar, just extends the limit.
Some of them. Other blocks require you to craft equipment or find the blocks out in the world.
I don’t remember if I had to upgrade my flame or not. Each time you upgrade the flame, some previously fatal parts of the shroud will become passable. If it’s not a flame upgrade you’re probably intended to approach from a different place.

Ah great info. So just keep the shield up when blocking, not try to do some fancy parry.

Eiba posted:

This confused me a lot to start- some of the megadeath shroud becomes normal shroud when you increase your flame level. If you're running into red shroud you need to turn back and do stuff in the area you have access to to upgrade your flame level.

I only just started not too long ago myself, but I've gotten all the crafting NPCs and gone to the city where you fight the third boss. So far I've been having a blast, but I want to know- how much more content does the game have? I imagine it just runs out of content at some point, considering it's early access, but I'd like a little warning before I get to that point so I can slow down and savor things, rather than rushing ahead to an end point.

Yea I figured that after loosing a lot of loot from the megadeath zones I should follow the quests given to me rather than trying to do things on my own. I found a fancy fire sword that acts as a torch. Also I discovered there's a lot of caves and basements that have enemies but not much else in them. Its a bit wear.

Inzombiac posted:

Metals come in a variety of flavors.
You also need to combine copper and tin to make bronze, which I thought was a nice touch.

Oh that is nifty. I don't mine resources being far away because I can always make fast travel points, but I wish there were more natural ones around. The world isn't that big so its not that hard to run from what I have set up, but I only have one more available for me until i upgrade my main flame some more. Or is it per flame you have upgraded?

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

twistedmentat posted:

Oh that is nifty. I don't mine resources being far away because I can always make fast travel points, but I wish there were more natural ones around. The world isn't that big so its not that hard to run from what I have set up, but I only have one more available for me until i upgrade my main flame some more. Or is it per flame you have upgraded?

Each altar can be upgraded to increase the build area. The flame level is universal and not tied to any individual altar.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Double Agent posted:

Each altar can be upgraded to increase the build area. The flame level is universal and not tied to any individual altar.

gonna need to find some Matrons and take their heads.

I'm trying to do the quest to get the blacksmiths stuff, but I cannot figure out how to actually get to the location, and literally every guide assumes you're up on these cliffs that seem impassible. And it isn't even a question of deadly shroud blocking your way, there's just no way to get up the cliff. Running both ways just ends with the same cliff blocking your way up. I guess i could just hack my way through the cliffs, thats totally possible just time consuming. At least in the area i can get to there are tons and tons of copper and clay.

I can't wait until we can set server setttings and I can change the things that are bothering most about this game, loot dropping on death and your stamina. I hate hate hate loot dropping because it means when the game is becoming unfun because you keep dying some some stupid location, just hitting the bricks means you lost all your loot. And I find your stamina drains waaaay to fast doing basic things. One of the fast travel points took me forever because I kept running out of stamina when trying to run and jump and climb.

Huh, does the environment revert outside of the flames after a while? I went back after digging up clay and the mine was filled in.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 21, 2024

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

twistedmentat posted:

Huh, does the environment revert outside of the flames after a while? I went back after digging up clay and the mine was filled in.

I've only played locally, not on any online servers, but every time I load the game everything I dug out before is filled back in. I'd bet online servers are similar on server restart.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

NeurosisHead posted:

I've only played locally, not on any online servers, but every time I load the game everything I dug out before is filled back in. I'd bet online servers are similar on server restart.

It must exclude places near your flames because there is a hole from when i was putting down foundations that's always there. This is good to know so you can mine out an easy source of a material, log out and back in and it will be back.

I wish there was some order to what quests you should complete. I found the carpenters chest, and it was just another stupid wand (I hate these things, I have like a dozen of them in a chest), I though this would unlock copper stuff, but nope. I am probably going to need to figure out what quest chain to follow in order to get him to tell me to go find his crucible.

Think maybe I need to find the alchemists mortar first. Or maybe upgrade my flame to 3. Or the Hunters crank? As i said, i really wish there was some hint on the order to do these quests. I tired to do the Ravenwood spire but I get to the second floor and there's no buttons to push.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anything altered within the zone of your altar is permanent and everything outside regens/resets.

So don't build an altar directly next to a tasty copper vein! Gotta be down the road a little.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

It must exclude places near your flames because there is a hole from when i was putting down foundations that's always there. This is good to know so you can mine out an easy source of a material, log out and back in and it will be back.

I wish there was some order to what quests you should complete. I found the carpenters chest, and it was just another stupid wand (I hate these things, I have like a dozen of them in a chest), I though this would unlock copper stuff, but nope. I am probably going to need to figure out what quest chain to follow in order to get him to tell me to go find his crucible.

Think maybe I need to find the alchemists mortar first. Or maybe upgrade my flame to 3. Or the Hunters crank? As i said, i really wish there was some hint on the order to do these quests. I tired to do the Ravenwood spire but I get to the second floor and there's no buttons to push.

Right-click those wands and turn them into runes for upgrading the weapons you want. Always be runing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tsilkani posted:

Right-click those wands and turn them into runes for upgrading the weapons you want. Always be runing.

Yea I didn't realize that you could do this until the other night. Because the basic gear won't let you do this, i didn't realize the later stuff does, at least weapons.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I spent way to much time trying to find the crucible when it was just in a cave I had walked past like a dozen times.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
The itemization in this game is nonsensical generally. The stats on some items seem to reference stats by names that appear no where else (including the character sheet) or are a phrase that just make no sense when read in English. The combat movesets are non-existent, in that there is one moveset for melee 1 handed and melee 2 handed is unusable, and even then melee combat is super janky. Many talents are just straight garbage trap picks. You fight the same 3 enemies throughout the game.

All that said, a very good blend of dark souls, valheim, plus a very gentle implementation of a talent tree. Valheim is boring because everyone wants the same gear and fights the same way and it's procedurally generated garbage, boating around though, very cool. It's more arcadey than dark souls and lets you do a bit of base building and a decently deep crafting system comparatively, and most importantly, co-op by default, but is still using the world as part of the story.

If they get the itemization overhauled, add some more enemy types, try to slightly improve the talents to be remotely balanced, and maybe a few more viable melee movesets, this is gonna be a pretty good game. Enjoying it with friends, which in gaming, is damning with faint praise, but they definitely have something here. Hope they can and will finish it out before dropping it to start on their next EA game.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The main thing the game has going for it is it's not a bad world to roam around for a little bit, it's easy to forget the houses are voxel until you blow them apart with a bomb to get around a door lock or try to find some double jump cheese by reaching the roof tops.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I hope this one doesn't wind up in the hinterlands of "hey here's a good twist on a survival game" early access release, followed by the devs realizing the twist didn't really play out in practice, so they release some half-hearted minor changes every few months until interest dies out. I think Valheim set off quite a few of those little time bombs, and it's kinda rough watching them flounder, because some of those games, including this one, really do have some great things going for them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm not a huge fan of gating content behind bosses. the Big dragon boss loving ended me, even knowing to shoot it in the mouth with an arrow I died to it so quickly. And there really isn't anything i can do other and mine, chop wood and grind the enemies to level up, but i'm level 13 and its just brutal.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Just picked this up a few days ago and have been having fun playing with a buddy. Man, fighting more than one thing at a time can be rough though. Pretty hard to manage dark souls dodge rolling when enemy have collision and stop you dead in your tracks while trying to dodge away from someone else attacking.

Also getting stuck in a mud pit while trying to evade people is rough but is understandable. Maybe I need to zoom my camera out more or something so I can be more aware of fight topology or something.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Yeah, getting body blocked by mobs when you are rolling is really strange and feels bad. The mud pits that slow you, the constantly getting staggered by boss abilities, boars, and everything in between, lose all of it. Making the player unable to control their character is the absolute pinnacle of frustration, this game is full of it, it is absolutely enraging, and it's stunning that there are game devs still putting it into their games.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
On the other hand, getting a weird head slug on your head when a plant shoots you is hilarious looking. Also the huge globs of mud stuck to your feet after wading in the mud are funny looking

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
The Hollow Halls Update just went live. Lots of changes are in there, but here are some highlights:

quote:

• Each biome has a new playable area called the “Hollow Halls”, with enemies and challenges corresponding to the level of the biome. These daunting new dungeons come with a multitude of new challenges and exciting rewards.
o New quests leading through the new content. Talk to the Alchemist to get started.
o New enemies await you in the depths.
o A new survivor can be discovered in the Hollow Halls.
o Unlock a new crafting station with new recipes.
o New weapons, building blocks, furniture, decorative props and more can be found.
• The 60hz issue has been solved, providing a smooth experience on higher framerates.
• Emily the farmer now offers potted plants to everyone who wants to add that little extra bit of color to the porch. Make sure that the base has access to a kiln to craft those pots!
• Dilit the Carpenter now offers a new set of round doors and windows.
• The seedbed workstation now allows growing additional tree seedlings. Many trees received new growing stages.
• Player characters can now sit on furniture such as chairs, benches, thrones, toilets.
• The town of Willow Crush in the Revelwoods has been completely reworked. and some other areas have been improved.

QUALITY OF LIFE IMPROVEMENTS
• Improved support for stack splitting in the backpack and chests. The size of the split stacks can now be selected freely.
• Content of magical chests is can now be used in crafting stations.
• The loot menu has been reworked to allow faster and more convenient collection of loot.
• Items can now be crafted in stacks.
• Sending items to other players now has a more convenient menu. There is now a warning message if the backpack of the receiver is already full.
• A new ping function on the world map allows pointing other players in a multiplayer session to a specific area.
• Servers can now be searched and favorited via IP in the server browser.
• The keys / buttons for jumping and gliding can now be mapped individually. By default, the gliding is still mapped to the same key / button as jumping. If a different key is preferred, we recommend for example CTRL on keyboard and B/○ on controller.

TECHNICAL IMPROVEMENTS & STABILITY
• Updating the game on Steam has been reworked to allow faster updates in the future. Previously, every update, no matter how big, resulted in the patching of the complete 30 GB game data on the hard drive. Now only the affected areas will be patched. This change requires the complete download this one time and will only be noticeably faster for future updates.
• Save data stability has been improved further. As an additional security layer, the game now automatically creates backups of the save data in periodic intervals. Should a save file become unreadable for any reason, a previous version will be loaded.

RENDERING AND PERFORMANCE
• Performance has been improved further. As always, performance and stability will remain a main focus while moving forward.
• Support for Nvidia Reflex has been added. It can be switched on and off in the graphical settings if the used hardware supports the feature.
• Added a new setting to the graphical settings to control the sharpness of the image.
• Added a new setting to switch contact shadows on and off.
• Added an option to switch off optional micro spiders. The big spiders are still there though, piloted by tiny spiders inside their brain.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's a really tasty update.
Still have a LOT of Dragon's Dogma to play but it's good seeing them stick to it.
I think Enshrouded is pretty special.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Yeah just the QOL stuff is good enough, let alone the new content. Very encouraging. Kinda brutal that hitting the low bar of “respecting the players time” is still a thing in games in 2024 but good on them for doing so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Can't argue those patch notes. Looking good for things eventually getting done so I guess this game justifies its continued existence on my hard drive to come back to eventually.