Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MakaVillian posted:

Pretty sure that's what kicked off the pandemic the first time, soooooo maybe not?

I remember a theory going around it wasn't worse (at first) because SF had it going around by that point and if they had a victory parade it would have kicked things off even earlier.

So the Chiefs may have saved some lives*

Ignore what this state has done since then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah just kickers and people who get into the end zone is the metric I'm sure if that is an accurate tweet. Joe Namath is there too at QB.

I'm more curious if a Super Bowl had a one point safety that I'm unaware of (I'm sure it's just saying one guy from Coast Guard scored at some point). e: poo poo I guess it could just be kicking an extra point, that'd make more sense

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Black Sunshine posted:

Since nobody gives a poo poo about the Pro Bowl (RIP) do we just delve into food chat or is that reserved for the off-season? I ask mainly because I tried Blues Hog BBQ sauce on some pulled pork and it was really great and I'm wondering what other sauces I should try next.

We used to have a dedicated thread to Super Bowl food. I'd imagine we'd all post the same stuff we posted in years past but that might be a good idea to remind everyone.

Or we could just do it here because what else are we talking about this week.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
If you still have an Athletic sub this is a fun article on the Jets. Fun if you aren't a Jets fan that is.

https://theathletic.com/5238599/2024/01/31/jets-aaron-rodgers-robert-saleh-season-collapse/?source=pulsenewsletter&campaign=8876266

quote:

“It’s just such a f—ing mess,” one Jets coach said. “Something has to change.”

quote:

The Athletic spoke to 30 sources in and around the organization, some of whom were granted anonymity to speak freely about the inner workings of the team without reprisal. Those sources described a team riddled with excuse-making, a paranoid head coach, an ill-equipped offensive coordinator and an organizational tunnel vision on the quarterback that rubbed some teammates wrong.

quote:

It’s not uncommon for team decision-makers to consult star quarterbacks on potential roster additions, but the perception around the league was the Jets went beyond the norm. “Rodgers isn’t the assistant GM,” one AFC general manager said. “Joe Douglas is the assistant GM.”

There's more than this but there's some real good Nathaniel Hackett hating in here, more than this, that's just the best line.

quote:

“That’s what Aaron wants” was a common refrain from Hackett as he told coaches what plays he wanted to run during camp. Often, Rodgers would hear Hackett’s play call and want something else, so the entire offense would reset.

But the Saleh hating goes deeper:

quote:

Saleh has the mantra “positive vibes only” printed on T-shirts that coaches and other staffers often wear around the team facility. The Jets head coach tries to stay optimistic around players and in front of the media and has garnered respect from many in the locker room for cultivating an environment that allows players to be themselves.

But behind closed doors, the vibes weren’t always positive, especially when Saleh would see negative press reports. He would often bring up how, in his mind, the Giants don’t get as much negative coverage as the Jets, calling it unfair.

In the aftermath of Rodgers’ injury, Saleh bemoaned his bad luck. Throughout his tenure, he has often wondered aloud if he was doomed to the same fate as Vic Fangio, a brilliant defensive coach cursed by misfortune at quarterback. Fangio was fired by the Broncos in 2021 after three seasons and a 19-30 record despite building an elite defense. Saleh’s Jets — and his elite defense, ranked No. 1 in 2023 by PFF— are 18-33 in his three years as coach.

Sorry for all the quotes but there's just so much in there and I've missed other things.