Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Tweak posted:

sure hope the global event that kicked off shortly after the last time this matchup happened doesnt again

for it to kick off again it'd had to have stopped

we'll need a completely new one to kick off and then stop caring about a year later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Spirit and Frontier suck rear end but it’s nice to see a professional athlete actually be frugal instead of immediately blowing all of their money on family and hangers on and jewelry scams and steakhouses and crypto.

decent flights, business scams, parasitic relationships, crypto

one of these things is not like the other

also...'family'? just come out and say you don't get the dynamic of escaping poverty at all

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Family draining athletes is a big thing so I don’t know what your on about

when the actually leeching hangers on are already qualified separately, family doesn't need an acknowledgement as a negative way to use your money

unless someone actually thinks its bad to try and save others from poverty too

no poo poo it's draining on $$$ to help people out when you come from a background where everyone is suffering, it's an unfair dynamic for suddenly high income athletes to deal with when a lot of people important to them need help

doesn't make it brilliant to ignore them, lol

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Cool doesn’t change the fact they are draining and one of the reasons athletes end up broke.

You can style it as a noble endeavor if you want doesn’t change anything

it's not a noble endeavor it's literally what you do for people you care about and that helped you out along the way, if you're anything less than a psychopath

stupid business ventures and not being able to draw a line on the grifters in your life is one thing but helping family is sane and rational human behavior

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

dumbass athletes complaining about finances, I'd just replace my parental and sibling relationships with more important ones like my accountant and agent

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

BrownThunder posted:

Leave your basement

turn on your monitor

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

If you believe that then there is no real reason to argue it further then, you did a noble thing, still ended up broke and in the poor house.

Intentions don’t really matter much here

you either have zero grasp on generational poverty and can't even fathom what it's like to be the only person clawing out of it across multiple generations, or you have a psychopathic view of money vs. basic humanity, there's no other basis for this take

it's not noble to make sure brother/sister/mom/dad/grandma/grandma has food, meds, and a place to sleep, it's just what you do if you are human

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t particularly care I think is the point you seem to be failing to grasp

drat when I don't care I don't even make several posts about it, so I'm definitely failing to grasp why you're here making posts about it

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I keep telling you I don’t care but you don’t seem to get that so you keep posting the same tired thing thinking this time it will be different.

We get it your a noble soul take your virtue points and cash out

I suspect you care, it's actually pretty much fine to care believe it or not

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

sorry, the pro bowl thread deserves better

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Cavauro posted:

look at the posts under this one

I think I just got Cavaurowned

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I know one of them isn’t like the other, that’s why I pointed out the contrast.

Also helping close family with money is fine and good, giving every third cousin who shows up as soon as you’re rich 100k to start their pyramid scheme business isn’t, at least if you want to keep some money. Lots of people have lovely family members, not everyone you’re blood related to deserves your help.

I jumped the gun thinking that distinction wasn't needed if hanger ons was covering the stereotype of the dumbass uncle who comes along with the restaurant idea that's a guaranteed success

not a fair shot at your post, unlike the dude who immediately showed up to tout the wisdom of abandoning everyone who can't fend for themselves

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

the pro bowl doesn't have anywhere near the carry it needs to fend off the inevitable regional bbq battle now

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Black Sunshine posted:

Is It possible to love BBQ AND care about your family or are they mutually exclusive things?

you gotta give them money to go gently caress off and allow quality time with your BBQ

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

BlindSite posted:

There are hundreds of ways you can assist family without ending up broke and destitute if you have anything approaching real money. The problem is that they don't help people in the slightly slower but far more effective long term ways. They buy three houses. They buy five cars and give cash away for people to start businesses and other stupid poo poo like that. There is a line between not helping anyone and being cold and selfish and not ending up broke.

The problem is young men think they're invincible and athletes think they're infallible and their hangers on think they've hit the lottery when they hit big.

The other problem is that those same young men have zero financial aptitude for the *how* part of helping out anyone in need, if they're coming out of generational poverty, which is branching off into a different topic than the raw idea of helping family being a mistake.

I also brought that up thinking way more about the low-mid tier player who's gonna be lucky to even hit a 2nd contract and lock down generational wealth. You've probably gotta gently caress up along the way to burn 8 figure type money, but if it gets much lower than that, you're in trouble fast if you had a league average career and have league average prospects on what you're going to do after football.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Timby posted:

I don't know if the NFL and if MLB still do this, but it used to be that all rookies had to go through mandatory financial literacy classes around the start of camp, basically explaining to these players that they have newfound generational wealth and it's easy to blow it all very, very quickly during your first contract (especially explaining just how much comes out of their contracts, between taxes, agent fees, management fees, etc.).

With NFL players, especially, a lot of them are the first in their families to go to school, and then they get handed mega-deals, more money than they've ever seen in their lives. And then the family and the hangers-on come, and Mom wants a new garage and sister needs a new car and Uncle Jim has a really great idea for a restaurant, he's got a solid business plan, honest, he just needs some investment money for the property and the capital to keep things going for six months while the place gets running and up on its feet and before you know it, that $17 million signing bonus is long gone, Uncle Jim needs another four months of operating money because the place just isn't getting the crowds he expected, your other sister now expects a car, and, welp, your career went sideways and it looks like you're not getting that fifth-year option and you're looking at signing somewhere for league-minimum.

A one off financial literacy class isn't gonna add up to much against what your long term exposure to understanding finances was. People just repeat learned behavior on money like they would anything, which helps feed the whole generational poverty problem outside of the systemic part of the problem. If you grow up around people with means who are protective of that wealth you'll likely have some learned instinct for also protecting your wealth, and you'll actually have older relatives who have the knowledge to at least try to prevent you from loving it up in the first place.

It's better than nothing to take a shot at waking up some 22 year old to the reality of how fast that money can evaporate, but it can only do so much. Maybe if the players were getting more of their deserved slice of the pie it wouldn't be quite as crucial for a brief crash course to save them from helping family wrong.

It's also not mom needing a new garage if you're talking real poverty, it's mom being in an unsustainable living situation that *needs* to be solved, and if it's mom in that situation then its probably also siblings and grandma and so on for people who aren't just some fringe grifter family member. There's a difference between wanting a new car and not even having reliable transportation it takes to survive. Luxury poo poo is an entirely different issue that doesn't fit a conversation about athletes coming out of generational poverty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

BlindSite posted:

It wouldn't, players end up broke for the same reasons the numbers they burn through just go up.

It's an education, culture and discipline problem. A single seminar isn't enough to make someone financially literate, but it's enough to make someone realise they don't know what they're doing and should break off a small percentage of that nest egg to ensure their future and their families' future is secure.

It's also poorly timed with dudes going pro and having a million other things going on in their lives/careers, almost like it's not a realistic way to intervene and wake someone up to the existence of financial literacy if they aren't already aware of the concept. Great for the fraction it hits for, but it's a joke to pretend that's succeeding as a preventative measure for a sudden windfall landing in the lap of someone from poverty.

Whether it's a well intentioned response to watching someone close to you languish in poverty your whole life, or the stuff like grifters getting in your ear, those things have established way more of a presence than a blip of financial advice. Any grifters that were already around have been planting those seeds from the moment one of these guys were a highly touted recruit.

Also, the part about the bigger piece of the pie is specifically for this subject of players who are trying to solve a poverty problem for those in their immediate lives. It absolutely could and would help with that, not every example of broke athletes is the dude who chased multiple grifts, which is what started this whole derail. I know it's real hard for people with no grasp on poverty to imagine having to help out multiple generations of family if you end up as the one with means to, but it's a real phenomena no matter how many times it gets conflated with luxuries and bad investments.

The337th fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 3, 2024