Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Me sitting here wondering what practice this doctor and nurse work in to not know to check blood sugar or use a glucometer ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

hobbesmaster posted:

Uh, you want a healthcare professional handed a random electronic medical device to either look up the instructions or have the person who knows how the medical device works tell them how it works.

These “how does this particular device work/what are the local procedures” questions are the origin of a lot “doctors don’t know anything” stuff.

Two weeks ago I taught 30 EMT students how to use a basic glucometer you get from any retailer in less than 10 minutes. I'm not referring to the complicated hospital ones, these are literally "push test strip into hole and test blood". I would be shocked if he had something more complicated since you can't exactly slap your phone-linked continuous glucose monitors to someone else (they have a calibration period).

This isn't a "doctor's don't know anything" by any stretch, it's genuine curiosity since that is - again - introductory medical assessment poo poo I would expect a nurse and doctor to know.

Edit:

Cavauro posted:

the article is probably talking up how mark andrews explained the exact method you use with the lancet device because those are all pretty different between inserting a new lancet and dialing up a stick. then he probably said "with this meter the test strip slots into the top instead of the bottom." hero. but it is cool though. not saying he isn't a hero. just laughing that he's a hero. i hope you understand

You're completely right and I don't mean to downplay his role in this. Most folks would just sit and mind their business. It's cool he did something and should be praised for it.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
This is the dumbest derail, and that includes my shitposts earlier.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

fartknocker posted:

I know what will unite the Pro Bowl thread and restore peace:

gently caress the Cowboys

Now and forever friend.