Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Say what you want about "March Madness is the best post-season tournament" or "Double elimination ruins things" or blah blah blah. Give me the NCAA Baseball Tournament any day.

A quick review of 2023: LSU was the #1 team in the land for the first 11 weeks of the season and, as the post season was rapidly approaching, realized "Oh poo poo, this is a bad spot to be, we can't be #1". So over the last four weeks of the season they wisely made the decision to go 8-7 and drop to somewhere between 5 and 7 depending on which poll you look at. That opened the door for a new #1: Wake Forest. And by god they gave it a great effort. But The Curse of The #1 seed was too much to overcome as they lost in the college world series semifinals to LSU. (For those of you who dont remember The Curse: the last time the overall #1 seed won the NCAA Baseball Tournament was 1999's Miami Hurricanes, the first year of the current 64 team format.) The "stop playing baseball" gambit worked out for LSU: In one of the strangest World Series Finals I can remember, the Tigers defeated Florida 4-3 after 11 innings, got absolutly blasted to the tune of 24-4, and the in the winner takes all game turned around and gave it back to Florida 18-4. And so, while the #1 overall seed didn't win the tournament, it would be hard to argue against saying that the best team in college baseball took home the trophy.

So, with that! Lets look ahead to the 2024 season. As a reminder, baseball doesn't have two major polls like football or basketball do. Rather, there's six kind of major ones: Baseball America, D1Baseball, Perfect Game, NCBWA, the USA Today Coaches Poll, and Collegiate Baseball. Collegiate Baseball got kind of.... wonky in the past couple of years. Of those six, I found three preseason polls (Perfect Game, D1, and Baseball America), so here is what a composite of those three looks like

code:
1	Wake Forest	75
2	Arkansas	70
3	LSU		69
4	Florida		68
5	TCU		62
6	Vanderbilt	59
7	Oregon State	57
8	Texas A&M	52
9	Tennessee	50
10	Virginia	44
11	Texas		41
12	Clemson		38
13	East Carolina	36
14	North Carolina	32
15	South Carolina	28
16	Duke		27
17	Stanford	25
18	NC State	24
19	Iowa		22
20	Coast Carolina	16
21	Auburn		14
22	Texas Tech	13
23	UCLA		12
24	UCSB		11
25	Oklahoma State	9
26	Kansas State	8
27	Alabama		7
28	Northeastern	5
29	UC Irvine	1
Wake Forest is the consensus #1 to start on their strong pitching staff and the Carolinas have, what, 8 schools in the top 20? Arkansas at #2 is in an "always the bridesmaid, never the bride" type deal but they finally have a strong 3 man rotation. The last two years, a february injury has ruled out the Razorbacks Friday Night Ace, so hopefully that doesnt happen again. Defending champion LSU, down some pitching but still loaded with hitting, checks in at #3, followed by runner up Florida at #4 with Golden Spikes favorite Jac "College Shohei" Caglianone. Rounding out the top 5 is a TCU team that kicked the poo poo out of Arkansas in the regionals twice last year, so if they're at full strength again, that could be scary.

Opening day approaches!

Stolen from a previous OP by elentar:
The only really important resource is the scoreboard at D1Baseball, which is the most reliable one around. Oh and there's a lot of random games that pop up on the various ESPN and Fox regional feeds, though fewer than there used to be.

Popete posted:

If anyone is looking to get into following college baseball I highly recommend checking out Wheels Youtube Channel they do a great job editing games down to 10-15 minutes and they tend to feature exciting games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

How long are natty hangovers supposed to last again? Surely this is the year MSU recovers.

Excited to see what having Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC is like this year. As if it wasn't already hard enough to win on any given weekend.

Excited to see some more Cags nukes.

Excited to see if Wake's pitching is still ridiculous.

Wouldn't be surprised to see LSU make another deep run. Despite losing Crews and Skenes they're still unbelievably stacked.

And lastly, as always, praying for the Rebs' downfall

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
It was me. I moved from Mississippi to North Carolina like a week after State won the Natty. I brought the mojo with me. I'm sorry.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

chaoslord posted:

Arkansas at #2 is in an "always the bridesmaid, never the bride" type deal

thank you i hadn't thought of that pop fly vs. oregon state in the past fifteen minutes

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Excited to see what having Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC is like this year. As if it wasn't already hard enough to win on any given weekend.

Next season for those two. I have no clue how the SEC tournament is going to work, stick with 12 and bottom four don't make it? It's long enoug as is.

I'd ask about the B1G and 18 but I don't think all members play and I'd imagine the SoCal schools will dominate it.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

C. Everett Koop posted:

thank you i hadn't thought of that pop fly vs. oregon state in the past fifteen minutes

you're welcome friend :razorback:

I'll probably do a season primer for the Hogs soon. I think we're technically 2 over the 40 man limit right now so I'm curious what that means, but we have like 10 freshman pitcher so if we have to tell two to grey shirt or whatever thats fine. I just figure we would have sent them off to JUCO after fall ball if we were gonna do that. College baseball is weird that way sometimes.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/1752418882080432485

God my naming of threads continues to be a death sentence

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
feel bad for any college athlete going out like that but UNC will be fine, they always come up with arms.

the ACC feels like it's getting back to its older meaner self this year, a gauntlet that just wears everyone out and then they all get beat by SEC teams in the postseason. probably some fun along the way though.

NC State has a whole lot of new faces and they should hit plenty, just a matter of if the arms can keep the games close. Virginia lost some big names but has mostly reloaded, feels like they're past the program dip now.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
This is pretty funny. So years ago this kid was on Jimmy Kimmel and other things because he was a 5 yr old that could hit 90mph fastballs

https://youtu.be/gFOBa8lmn3o?si=qJt4Qb-4S8tTw6ch

He’s probably gonna be Tennessee’s starting short stop (he’s a freshman so TBD) this season

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

chaoslord posted:

you're welcome friend :razorback:

I'll probably do a season primer for the Hogs soon. I think we're technically 2 over the 40 man limit right now so I'm curious what that means, but we have like 10 freshman pitcher so if we have to tell two to grey shirt or whatever thats fine. I just figure we would have sent them off to JUCO after fall ball if we were gonna do that. College baseball is weird that way sometimes.

I looked up the OSU pitcher who crushed the Hogs in Game 3 because I figured we made him some money that night. He's 24 and in high single A with the Rays and had a 1.5 WHIP last season.

Turns out we did not make him any money that night.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

SEC is getting 11 games on ESPN2 and 9 on ESPNU this season (to go with the 74 SEC network)

ESPN2
3/28 LSU @ Arkansas
4/4 Vandy @ LSU
4/13 Miss State @ Ole Miss
4/16 Texas Tech @ Arkansas (Non Con)
4/19 Florida @ Vandy
4/27 Florida @ Arkansas
5/2 Tennessee @ Florida
5/7 Louisville @ Vandy (Non Con)
5/12 Tennessee @ Vandy
5/16 Wild Card SEC Tournament matchup
5/26 SEC Tournament Final

ESPNU
3/21 Miss State @ A&M
4/11 Kentucky @ Auburn
4/12 LSU @ Tennessee
4/17 Florida @ Vandy
4/23 Clemson @ Georgia (Non Con)
4/25 Alabama @ Ole Miss
5/1 Ole Miss @ Miss State
5/4 Texas A&M @ LSU
5/9 Georgia @ South Carolina

Missouri the only one to not make either of these but theres always the chance they're in that opening round SEC matchup

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Double posting for this news

https://x.com/kendallrogers/status/1753101942941765871?s=46&t=l3BNUY1tDwZOYN9ilB4yAg

Edit: oh my god

https://x.com/chrisvannini/status/1753104140467658982?s=46&t=l3BNUY1tDwZOYN9ilB4yAg

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 1, 2024

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I adore that story. Dropping $100K on college baseball and not even trying to be nonchalant about it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I adore that story. Dropping $100K on college baseball and not even trying to be nonchalant about it.

Killing your career and getting a long show cause over sports betting. loving wild. He was a good coach too.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Oh poo poo

https://x.com/fsubaseball/status/1753135551379640422?s=46&t=l3BNUY1tDwZOYN9ilB4yAg

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

Next season for those two. I have no clue how the SEC tournament is going to work, stick with 12 and bottom four don't make it? It's long enoug as is.

I'd ask about the B1G and 18 but I don't think all members play and I'd imagine the SoCal schools will dominate it.

https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/1753142926874456549

Well that answers that.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

https://x.com/ben_upton5/status/1753604264826470597?s=46&t=l3BNUY1tDwZOYN9ilB4yAg

Just science tbh

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
don't you dare give me hope you son of a bitch

that's the kind of poo poo that leads to natty champs mizzou

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

C. Everett Koop posted:

don't you dare give me hope you son of a bitch

that's the kind of poo poo that leads to natty champs mizzou

Putting my entire divorce equity payout on Missouri State to win it all

https://x.com/chaseparham/status/1753906386990202880?s=46&t=l3BNUY1tDwZOYN9ilB4yAg

:rip:

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Opening day is a week away!!!!!!!!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This dude rules

Just not at gambling

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This dude rules

Just not at gambling

I think my favorite part is the guy just standing at the counter telling the book he had a sure thing and they wish they knew what he knew. Like…. When in the history of gambling has telling the gambling cops those things ever been a good idea????

————

When I get home from Japan I will do a run through of the golden spikes preseason watch list, so that’ll be Monday or probably Tuesday

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chaoslord posted:

Opening day is a week away!!!!!!!!

I’m so damned excited to see Tony V’s handsome face a couple times a week 😍

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
oh hey college baseball is back, walking over to the stadium in a little bit here for UVA vs. Hofstra

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
was just watching Miss State's latest hype video. Do they really call Dudy Noble field "The Dude?"

I lived there for nearly 10 years and never heard it called that.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

elentar posted:

oh hey college baseball is back, walking over to the stadium in a little bit here for UVA vs. Hofstra

Hofstra got off to a hot start and their starter shut UVA down through 5 but didn’t get past that, teams traded leads for a bit after. Got to get properly angry at a terrible bunt decision, erased by four passed balls in the 8th inning by the Hofstra catcher, and the lead held up. Pure chaos, great college game.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really good pitching battle going on in the Tennessee Texas Tech game

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

https://x.com/bigdonkey47/status/1758850243192307884?s=46&t=l3BNUY1tDwZOYN9ilB4yAg

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

WTF, did he sleep with everyone's girlfriend of the opposing team?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

https://x.com/bigdonkey47/status/1759288690902270060?s=46&t=l3BNUY1tDwZOYN9ilB4yAg

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

caught the last game of the UVA-Hofstra series since i won't have both the time and money later this semester, pretty standard sloppy Sunday game, UVA won 11-9 and had to work for it the whole way.

they have a freshman 1B this year named Henry Ford who looks like he's gonna be launching bombs for a few years here, hometown kid who has been basically committed to UVA since 7th or 8th grade after destroying Coach O'Connor's kid in Little League or Babe Ruth ball

elsewhere didn't look like an absolute ton of upsets for a first week, though the mighty Camels of Campbell beat ranked UCSB (in a series for some reason played in Buies Creek rather than Santa Barbara)

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Hagen Smith in 3.0 IP has given up 2 hits and has recorded 9 strikeouts against Oregon State. He’s fixed I think.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

chaoslord posted:

Hagen Smith in 3.0 IP has given up 2 hits and has recorded 9 strikeouts against Oregon State. He’s fixed I think.

Something got into him for sure, holy smokes. Just tied the strikeout record.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
17K in 6IP (only 2K in the 6th). 15 on the slider. 78 pitches. Still pumping 96 on the fastball.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

late night baseball with NC State out in Hawaii this week, only the second inning. won a wild one last night 17-12, little slower start today so far.

Virginia is down in Jacksonville at some random tournament, beat Wichita State in extras yesterday and spotted Iowa a 6-run lead today before coming back to take it. will see if the charmed life can continue against Auburn tomorrow.

elentar fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 25, 2024

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

chaoslord posted:

He had the first fifteen outs via K's and Arky still had to rally to win that game. They then lost to Okie Lite in 14.

I'm trying to figure out how the season will fall apart this time . Pitcher injuries, dead bats, pop flies lost in the lights, moon's gravitational pull slightly shifts, Yellowstone erupts, every option is on the table.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

TCU undefeated so far. Weird wakeup sweep of FGCU to start (with some amazing bullpen clownball comebacks), midweek against Texas State, and now absolutely crushing UCLA with a run rule today.

Frogs probably good?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Billy Amick rules

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

good lord

https://twitter.com/aggiebaseball/status/1764345507076268416?s=46&t=2RtKUZF-7mtwaGnhOLp93A

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Oklahoma’s 71-game win streak in softball is in danger

e: holy poo poo we tied it on the final out on an error

e2: :rip:

Zoran fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

News: Clemson takes a H-N-H weekend series from South Carolina 2-0 (Friday night game got rained out in Columbia) with a pair of one run games.

Views: Suck it Cocks.