Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neat Bee
Apr 17, 2024

Fart Amplifier posted:

You can always blame people for believing conspiracy theories without credible evidence

Wealthy, powerful people having whistleblowers murdered is not conspiracy.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/16/malta-car-bomb-kills-panama-papers-journalist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

I'm not sure why you keep saying misinformation about this, you've been corrected on it several times.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68534703

He literally died the night before he was expected to give more testimony in a deposition. Not sure people are brought in for depositions for trials that are long over.

That part is wrong for sure, but he had already started testifying, so it seems like a really odd time to kill him. Like, literally the most suspicious time to do so.

It's not conclusive evidence either way, though.

Neat Bee posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/16/malta-car-bomb-kills-panama-papers-journalist

To be pedantic, it's literally the definition of a conspiracy!

But you mean a conspiracy theory, which uh, it can be. Just because it is true in one instance doesn't mean it is true in every instance. Believing the mafia is out to kill you when it doesn't know you exist is a conspiracy theory, but the mafia does kill people all the time.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

I'm not sure why you keep saying misinformation about this, you've been corrected on it several times.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68534703

He literally died the night before he was expected to give more testimony in a deposition. Not sure people are brought in for depositions for trials that are long over.

There was zero misinformation in my comment. He blew the whistle years ago and the trial involving that is long over. This is what the comment I was responding to was about.

If you think that Boeing had him murdered over the potential back pay and special damages compensation that he may have received in this upcoming trial on the retaliation from Boeing, then I think that's a huge stretch. The trial is still going to happen

Neat Bee posted:

This is not at all relevant to the conversation unless your you're arguing that some wealthy, powerful people have whistleblowers murdered implies that all whistleblower deaths are murder.

Fart Amplifier fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 22, 2024

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Fart Amplifier posted:

There was zero misinformation in my comment. He blew the whistle years ago and the trial involving that is long over. This is what the comment I was responding to was about.

If you think that Boeing had him murdered over the potential back pay and special damages compensation that he may have received in this upcoming trial on the retaliation from Boeing, then I think that's a huge stretch. The trial is still going to happen

Was there another, earlier trial? I tried to look and just got flooded by talk of his death.

Neat Bee
Apr 17, 2024

Fart Amplifier posted:

This is not at all relevant to the conversation unless your you're arguing that some wealthy, powerful people have whistleblowers murdered implies that all whistleblower deaths are murder.

Not all are murder, or even deaths! Some are prison sentences with extreme periods of isolation because apparently the Biden administration has an axe to grind against whistleblowers who complain about war crimes.

https://theintercept.com/2021/11/04/drone-attack-kabul-pentagon-report-whistleblowers/

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Neat Bee posted:

Not all are murder, or even deaths! Some are prison sentences with extreme periods of isolation because apparently the Biden administration has an axe to grind against whistleblowers who complain about war crimes.

https://theintercept.com/2021/11/04/drone-attack-kabul-pentagon-report-whistleblowers/

This his not relevant to the discussion

Neat Bee
Apr 17, 2024

Fart Amplifier posted:

This his not relevant to the discussion

Boeing is essential to the US MIC and this administration has previously attacked whistleblowers who threaten the MIC.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Neat Bee posted:

Boeing is essential to the US MIC and this administration has previously attacked whistleblowers who threaten the MIC.

That article is about a person who was prosecuted for leaking documents under the Trump administration and bad American strategy choices don't threaten the MIC at all. Unless you think the air force is going to stop buying planes entirely because American generals made bad calls in Afghanistan in 2013 and were exposed.

That article isn't related to Boeing at all.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
That's a very flimsy article for the argument, frankly, even aside from being from November 2021. Its two pieces of evidence are a transfer of Nathan Hale (who the article notes was prosecuted under Donald Trump) to more restricted conditions with no context, and some whining about noted shithead Julian Assange.

Neither of those is convincing at all for your apparent thesis that the Biden administration murdered a Boeing whistleblower, after the bulk of his testimony on a topic many other people were ad are testifying on, to protect the military industrial complex.

You're also not engaging with the actual arguments people are putting forth.

Neat Bee
Apr 17, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

That article is about a person who was prosecuted for leaking documents under the Trump administration and bad American strategy choices don't threaten the MIC at all. Unless you think the air force is going to stop buying planes entirely because American generals made bad calls in Afghanistan in 2013 and were exposed.

That article isn't related to Boeing at all.

That article is about a person who was prosecuted under Trump and then the Biden DOJ went out of its way to make his sentence much more cruel. Nobody mentioned the air force ceasing plane purchases, we are discussing is a history of severe consequences befalling whistleblowers who mess with the MIC. Its related because Boeing is part of the MIC. We have two cases where MIC whistleblowers were targeted.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Neat Bee posted:

That article is about a person who was prosecuted under Trump and then the Biden DOJ went out of its way to make his sentence much more cruel. Nobody mentioned the air force ceasing plane purchases, we are discussing is a history of severe consequences befalling whistleblowers who mess with the MIC. Its related because Boeing is part of the MIC. We have two cases where MIC whistleblowers were targeted.

I don't think you actually know what you were referencing. He was moved to a different prison for two weeks because he asked for mental health treatment and his request was approved. But they didn't have a bed at the facility he requested. He was there for two weeks before he was moved out of prison into a mental health ward at the hospital he requested. The Intercept paints it as some random retribution that they inflicted on him for no reason several years later without mentioning that he requested the transfer that prompted it and he was only there for two weeks.

quote:

Hale was transferred to Northern Neck Regional Jail, where he expected to be held for two or three weeks until a bed opened at Federal Medical Center Butner in North Carolina, a facility that could offer him some form of mental health treatment.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 22, 2024

Neat Bee
Apr 17, 2024

I don't think you actually know what you were referencing. He was moved to a different prison for two weeks because he asked for mental health treatment and his request was approved. But they didn't have a bed at the facility he requested. He was there for two weeks before he was moved to out of prison into a mental health ward at the hospital he requested. The Intercept paints it as some random retribution that they inflicted on him for no reason several years later without mentioning that he requested the transfer that prompted it and he was only there for two weeks.

One of the links in that article has the following quote:

Jesselyn Radack, who represented Hale as one of his lawyers, told the Dissenter, “It can only be seen as punitive that Daniel Hale, who has no criminal history and pled guilty to a nonviolent crime, got put in a secret, Kafkaesque, and isolated ‘terrorist unit’ with virtually no access to outsiders—or even other prisoners.”

“It’s another draconian move by the government to silence and punish whistleblowers,” Radack added.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Neat Bee posted:

One of the links in that article has the following quote:

Jesselyn Radack, who represented Hale as one of his lawyers, told the Dissenter, “It can only be seen as punitive that Daniel Hale, who has no criminal history and pled guilty to a nonviolent crime, got put in a secret, Kafkaesque, and isolated ‘terrorist unit’ with virtually no access to outsiders—or even other prisoners.”

“It’s another draconian move by the government to silence and punish whistleblowers,” Radack added.

A secret, Kafkaesque, isolated 'terrorist unit' with virtually no access to outsiders except for the fact that it's on Wikipedia and notably is not an isolation cell. They still get to communicate with the outside world, it's just lessened and more restricted. They can still interact with other inmates, they just can't get together in groups (which is a problem for Muslims who must pray together). But if he was only there for two weeks then the communication restrictions (mostly less time for it) would only really effect his letter-receiving, since all of them are investigated first and thus he might not even be there long enough to get his letters before they're done being investigated.

Neat Bee
Apr 17, 2024

Kchama posted:

A secret, Kafkaesque, isolated 'terrorist unit' with virtually no access to outsiders except for the fact that it's on Wikipedia and notably is not an isolation cell. They still get to communicate with the outside world, it's just lessened and more restricted. They can still interact with other inmates, they just can't get together in groups (which is a problem for Muslims who must pray together). But if he was only there for two weeks then the communication restrictions (mostly less time for it) would only really effect his letter-receiving, since all of them are investigated first and thus he might not even be there long enough to get his letters before they're done being investigated.

Two weeks? He spent 33 months in the CMU.

https://thedissenter.org/drone-whistleblower-cmu-finally-released-from-prison/

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Didja notice my 'if' there? Because I was going off Leon Trotsky saying he was only there for two weeks.

Neat Bee
Apr 17, 2024

Kchama posted:

Didja notice my 'if' there? Because I was going off Leon Trotsky saying he was only there for two weeks.

Ah, my mistake! Apologies!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Wait a second, you are conflating a national security whistleblower ( an ex airforce NSA employee with a clearance ) with airline safety whistleblowers?

Lmao.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I don't really know what to think of the death, but I do find the "he had no reason to kill himself"-cries to ring a little hollow when dude's retirement, income, relationship, future, and reputation are all being hosed with by a big corporation. Seems like lots of reasons.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 22, 2024

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

I don't really know what to think of the death, but I do find the "he had no reason to kill himself"-cries to ring a little hollow when dude's retirement, income, relationship, future, and reputation are all being hosed with by a big corporation. Seems like lots of reasons.

That sounds like Boeing killed him indirectly even if they didn't literally hire a hitman to put a bullet in his brain.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

He was imprisoned for 33 months total. The time he was actually fully cut off from visitors/other prisoners was from October 6th through October 19th.

quote:

"Despite his public struggle with severe PTSD, anxiety, and depression, he spent the first two weeks in solitary confinement, which is scientifically proven to increase a prisoner’s chance of suicide.”

After being sentenced, a judge recommended Hale be sent to a federal medical facility.

Neat Bee
Apr 17, 2024

He was imprisoned for 33 months total. The time he was actually fully cut off from visitors/other prisoners was from October 6th through October 19th.

He was in the CMU from October 2021 until his release in February 2024. The degree to which he was cut off is in the quote below.

quote:

However, prisoners in CMUs only interact with prisoners in the CMU, if they are permitted to interact with any prisoners. "All avenues of communication with the outside world are restricted and monitored. All CMU social visits are live-monitored by BOP staff and must occur in English, unless previously scheduled for simultaneous translation.”

Prisoners and their visitors “meet in partitioned rooms separated by thick plexiglass, speak over a telephone, and are forbidden from hugging or even touching hands.” They are only allowed two four-hour blocks of visitation per month, but regulation allows Marion to limit visitation to only four hours with “immediate family.”

CMU prisoners are allowed two scheduled 15-minute calls a week, but regulation permits Marion to restrict calls to three 15-minute calls per month with “immediate family only.” Calls are subject to the same strict monitoring as visits, and that monitoring is done by an FBI agent.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I don’t have a position on the Boeing whistleblower, but I do think it’s worth mentioning that John McAfee is not going to be a useful point of comparison for any given private person. Dude was well known to be a seriously disturbed weirdo many years before his death. I distinctly remember being creeped out by his bizarre bluelight forum posts before he was outed and tried to play it off as trolling. Joose-era TCC was appreciably more responsible about drug use.

Like, sure, it’s plausible that a given Trump supporter might be as batshit as Randy Quaid, but you don’t assume that without justification.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 22, 2024

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Fister Roboto posted:

That sounds like Boeing killed him indirectly even if they didn't literally hire a hitman to put a bullet in his brain.

He could've been overwhelmed by all of the neglect he was witness to. Knowing that, for almost his entire career, he was a part of a company that was making bad planes. Bad planes that would go on to kill/injure people and effect the careers of the people in the shop. Probably wasn't a day where he didn't ask "Could I have said more? Could I have done more?"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Goatse James Bond posted:

That's a very flimsy article for the argument, frankly, even aside from being from November 2021. Its two pieces of evidence are a transfer of Nathan Hale (who the article notes was prosecuted under Donald Trump) to more restricted conditions with no context, and some whining about noted shithead Julian Assange.

Neither of those is convincing at all for your apparent thesis that the Biden administration murdered a Boeing whistleblower, after the bulk of his testimony on a topic many other people were ad are testifying on, to protect the military industrial complex.

You're also not engaging with the actual arguments people are putting forth.

I was just wondering how you respond to emptyquotes and JAQin thoughts about John McAfee, cause they don't seem like actual arguments

soviet elsa posted:

Do y’all who think the Boeing whistleblower wasn’t a suicide because he said he wouldn’t do it also think that John McAffee was murdered?

“I won’t” is, as I sadly know first hand, exactly what people prepared to do it say. And as other people said, he was under immense, unbelievable stress arrayed against one of the most powerful MIC giants of all time.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
So, MTG pretty much said she's pulling the trigger on the vacate motion if Johnson doesn't resign. Do you think democrats may intervene to save his rear end to prevent someone even worse getting the gavel or do they just let anarchy reign? I can't tell what their best option is especially with the majority being razor thin.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Kammat posted:

So, MTG pretty much said she's pulling the trigger on the vacate motion if Johnson doesn't resign. Do you think democrats may intervene to save his rear end to prevent someone even worse getting the gavel or do they just let anarchy reign? I can't tell what their best option is especially with the majority being razor thin.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4609380-moscowitz-says-johnson-ouster-would-only-embolden-china-russia-iran/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2024/04/21/ro-khanna-mike-johnson-job/73404597007/

I think it's pretty likely Dems help Johnson given the messaging the Dems are putting out. And both parties have had the same priorities lately between war funding, FISA spying, and Tiktok banning.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 22, 2024

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Supreme Court is taking up a big list of major cases this week.

The one that is going to have the biggest immediate impact is the Donald Trump presidential immunity claim.

Other significant cases:

- Whether the "obstruction of a federal proceeding" charge can be used against many people who were charged during January 6th.

- Whether it is legal for local governments to ban outdoor camping or sleeping in public spaces in the entire city.

- Whether new executive action regulating "ghost guns" is an overreach of existing DOJ authority to regulate guns (this one won't be decided this week and was just announced)

- Whether the Biden administration's new rule requiring hospitals to perform emergency abortions is an unconstitutional expansion of federal power in states with abortion bans.

- Whether it is legal for police to search the backpack of a man riding a bicycle after he has been handcuffed during an arrest. The backpack was attached to the bike, but he was not wearing it.

The specific impact of this bicycle case is small, but the precedent is potentially significant. It is determining whether a backpack near a suspect in handcuffs counts as "easily accessible" for 4th amendment search purposes. Current law allows police to search the physical person of someone and containers that are "easily accessible" to them without a warrant when they arrest them. The defendant argues that the evidence they retrieved from the bag came from an illegal search because he wasn't wearing the backpack and the police had taken it from him and handcuffed him before searching it, which was a situation where the bag could not have been "easily accessible" to him.

The ghost gun ruling will determine whether the ATF and DOJ have any authority at all to regulate "kits" or pieces of firearms that can be easily assembled into a gun, but are not technically sold as firearms. A lower court ruled that they have no authority at all to regulate ghost guns under existing law and this case is the appeal from the DOJ and ATF.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1782403741741686866

quote:

Supreme Court will take up the legal fight over ghost guns, firearms without serial numbers

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court agreed on Monday to take up a Biden administration appeal over the regulation of difficult-to-trace ghost guns that had been struck down by lower courts.

The justices by a 5-4 vote had previously intervened to keep the regulation in effect during the legal fight. Ghost guns, which lack serial numbers, have been turning up at crime scenes with increasing regularity.

The regulation, which took effect in 2022, changed the definition of a firearm under federal law to include unfinished parts, like the frame of a handgun or the receiver of a long gun, so they can be tracked more easily. Those parts must be licensed and include serial numbers. Manufacturers must also run background checks before a sale, as they do with other commercially made firearms.

The requirement applies regardless of how the firearm was made, meaning it includes ghost guns made from individual parts or kits or by 3D printers. The rule does not prohibit people from buying a kit or any type of firearm.

The Justice Department had told the court that local law enforcement agencies seized more than 19,000 ghost guns at crime scenes in 2021, a more than tenfold increase in just five years.

U.S. District Judge Reed O’Connor, in Fort Worth, Texas, struck down the rule last year, concluding that it exceeded the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives’ authority. O’Connor wrote that the definition of a firearm in federal law does not cover all the parts of a gun. Congress could change the law, he wrote.

A panel of the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals made up of three appointees of then-President Donald Trump largely upheld O’Connor’s ruling.

The Supreme Court allowed the regulation to remain in effect while the lawsuit continues. Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Amy Coney Barrett joined with the court’s three liberal members to form the majority. Justices Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Clarence Thomas would have kept the regulation on hold during the appeals process.

Barrett, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh were appointed by Trump.

Arguments won’t take place before the fall.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 22, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

- Whether it is legal for police to search the backpack of a man riding a bicycle after he has been handcuffed during an arrest. The backpack was attached to the bike, but he was not wearing it.

The specific impact of this bicycle case is small, but the precedent is potentially significant. It is determining whether a backpack near a suspect in handcuffs counts as "easily accessible" for 4th amendment search purposes. Current law allows police to search the physical person of someone and containers that are "easily accessible" to them without a warrant when they arrest them. The defendant argues that the evidence they retrieved from the bag came from an illegal search because he wasn't wearing the backpack and the police had taken it from him and handcuffed him before searching it, which was a situation where the bag could not have been "easily accessible" to him.

This clarification is important. When looking up the laws regarding storage of a firearm in a vehicle the "easily accessible" part having a wide variety of interpretations was frustrating to encounter. Can the firearm and ammo be within the cabin as long as they're in separate containers in the backseat? Do they need to be in the trunk? What about the bed of a truck? It seemed to boil down to "how nice does the cop feel like being to you today?"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Wait a second, you are conflating a national security whistleblower ( an ex airforce NSA employee with a clearance ) with airline safety whistleblowers?

Lmao.

Having a clearance doesn't mean anything. Lots of civilian contractors doing non-military work have clearances as required for their jobs.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

PhazonLink posted:

didnt Costco finally let niflation inflat its cheap hotdog or pizza slice meal a few years ago?

theyre dead.

Thier hot dogs and pizza slices are safe for now, but there was a cost. No more polish dogs and no more combo pizzas.

You can see the enshitification creeping in on the edges. Their cafe kiosks will require a costco card now, cutting out all those poors who have been absolutely crushing costco's ability to operate in the black for over 40 years. They also introduced a cold roast beef sub that's just meat and bread for over $10, with the customary menu showing more meat than you actually get.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Having a clearance doesn't mean anything. Lots of civilian contractors doing non-military work have clearances as required for their jobs.

An NSA employee with a secret clearance releasing classified information about a drone program is not the same thing as a civilian safety inspector publicly taking about a company cutting corners.

We use the same word “whistleblower” but those are basically on different planets.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

thermodynamics cheated

Kammat posted:

fact one:

johnson can't make a viable political base within the republican party because they are at war with themselves. the hardliner freaks will oust him if he placates the establishment wing freaks, the establishment wing freaks will oust him if he placates the hardliner freaks (there are no non-freak blocs anymore). there is no in-party option for holding the speakership anymore because the GOP is a chaos fucktangle of fanatical competency corrosion

the democrats can demonstrate that earning THEIR protection is the only viable option for the speaker's political survival

so if the democrats secure johnson his continued position in response to him getting the bills they wanted out, they control the republican speaker of the house, and only keep the speakers that do what they want

fact two:

the nyt op ed coming up about this situation will scream DEMS IN DISaRrAY????? CAPITULATE TO JOHNSON????????????/////////!!!!!!1

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

Freakazoid_ posted:

They also introduced a cold roast beef sub that's just meat and bread for over $10, with the customary menu showing more meat than you actually get.
yeah, they got me with that one. Figured the price would reflect the quality but it was just a cold, deli style roast beef sandwich. If id paid half the price for it I’d have still felt like it was a ripoff.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Bar Ran Dun posted:

An NSA employee with a secret clearance releasing classified information about a drone program is not the same thing as a civilian safety inspector publicly taking about a company cutting corners.

We use the same word “whistleblower” but those are basically on different planets.

To whit:

A private citizen releasing private company information that reveals OSHA, NTSB, or NHTSA safety violations is (nominally) protected by the government

A citizen releasing classified info, regardless of safety import, without authorization is facing fines of hundreds of thousands of dollars and tears of prison time

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Hillary's doing it again

https://twitter.com/aklingus/status/1782432276602835028?t=DmL-6IPoNyMY4Rocjc4UlA&s=19

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Doing what? I don't get it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Informing the general public that Democrats are, at absolute best, 3% better than Republicans. Now with charts!

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

If the plot didn't have the "target" line, and zoomed in on the Biden/Trump discrepancy, it would indicate an enormous gulf between Trump and Biden in terms of their impact on CO2 emissions - a clear case for voting for Biden.

But by adding that "target" line, it:

-Makes Biden look worse by comparison to his own stated agenda, making him look unreliable/incompetent/unable to deliver what he promised the nation

-Makes Biden and Trump look a lot more similar - Biden is at least more comparable to Trump than to Biden's own promises!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Failed Imagineer posted:

Informing the general public that Democrats are, at absolute best, 3% better than Republicans. Now with charts!

I mean, if we do literally nothing to reduce emissions from 2024 through 2050, then we won't meet a goal of 0 emissions by 2050. I don't think she is advocating for doing nothing for the next 26 years and it is an accurate chart under those parameters. I don't think anyone thinks doing nothing for 26 years would meet the goal.

She could have cut it off at 2030 instead and messed with the Y-axis and that would look a lot better from a political messaging angle, but that wouldn't be more honest if you are focusing on the 2050 goal.

Also, according to the article figures, the Democrats would be, at absolute best, 41.7% better (assuming we do nothing else for the next 26 years).

I'd rather politicians prioritize accuracy over political effect when publishing data.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 22, 2024