Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

B B posted:

It would probably be easier to fight back against the "Donald the Dove" stuff if his opponent weren't actively supporting and enabling a genocide.

I guess if you deliberately ignore literally everything that Donald Trump has said about the Palestinian genocide, that's true!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

FistEnergy posted:

This is an incorrect, sneering, and just awful post. You're not going to convince anyone to do anything in this manner.

Do you think that the election of Donald Trump would result in less harm done to Palestine and/or Ukraine?

Yes or no?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Trump is generally anti- foreign aid. Israel would not be able to do what it is doing without continued American support.

You think the person who has outright said he would bar refugees from Gaza is less supportive of Israel?

Again: yes or no?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

FistEnergy posted:

I have no idea and neither do you. That's in the future and no one can know for sure. I know for sure that Biden has been worse than I thought he would be, and has more blood on his hands than I thought possible in 2020. Both Biden and Trump have done and will do unacceptable levels of harm.

That's why I asked you what you believe, and "the future is unknowable" is a cowardly answer. I assume that there's a reason you don't want to give an answer?

FistEnergy posted:

The *better* question is: can I morally and spiritually stomach voting for Biden or Trump at this moment, based on what they have already done or are actively doing? The answer is NO, so I will not vote for either one. Saying 'But Trump' has not worked on me, will never work on me, and is clearly not working for tens of millions of other people because Trump has a clear and consistent lead in national polling. No matter how much poll handwaving certain posters do in here, Trump is clearly favored to win in November at this point.

I'm not trying to convince you; you've already made it very clear that you're working backwards from your conclusion, and you're also assuming that everyone who thinks that Biden is a better option than Trump likes the situation of "we have two options".

FistEnergy posted:

Your question is irrelevant and also inappropriate to this thread: this is a Current Events thread, and the Current Events right now are primarily Joe Biden doing morally awful things, refusing to use the powers of his office and the levers of American power to stop a genocide, and demonstrating significant mental declines. If the Democratic Party doesn't want those issues front and center, they have full control between now and November.

You literally posted this:

FistEnergy posted:

This is an incorrect, sneering, and just awful post. You're not going to convince anyone to do anything in this manner.

You don't get to attack people with nothing other than 'ur post sux lol' and then throw a fit when someone asks you to defend your viewpoint with an incredibly simple question, which you then proceed to avoid answering in favor of "uhh well well the future is unknowable!!!!"

The Mattybee fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 11, 2024

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

FistEnergy posted:

Nope, for the record I think Trump will be just as awful on Gaza.

Weird, a few hours ago you were convinced that the answer wasn't possible to know! Did you suddenly change your mind?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

FistEnergy posted:

It's s not possible to know for sure because things change and Trump is unstable and unpredictable. But I can give my opinion. They're two different things. Don't be a pedant.

Which is what you were asked last time, and you gave a different, complete non-answer, and then insisted that that question was inappropriate for the thread!

FistEnergy posted:

But Trump being president again will free Democrats up to rediscover their consciences again and speak out or act against American complicity. That's why posters keep saying Trump is the harm reduction candidate when it comes to Gaza; it's not a flippant statement. Right now there is no genocide opposition party. With Trump back, that number is free to increase to one.

So let me get this straight. You think that the Democratic Party - a party that has also, unfortunately, been pro-Israel for at least as long as I have been alive - is suddenly going to reverse course on Israel and decide that they actually don't want to support Israel anymore, just because Donald Trump is now president?

And you believe this will do... what, exactly, in the timeline where Donald Trump is president? Even if we assume that the Democratic Party suddenly changes its mind because of Donald Trump, for whatever reason. What will this accomplish for the people of Gaza, if the government is still pro-genocide?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

hooman posted:

Do you have the object permanence to remember 8 years ago to the last time the sky was going to fall?

Yeah they tried to perform a coup after they lost the next election, and most people who aren't irony-poisoned consider this to be a bad thing!

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I cancelled my cable TV a while ago, but the absolute worst new thing was the secret "local sports fees" they were tacking on in addition to service fees, "infrastructure upgrade" fees, and taxes.

I think I agreed to a $69.99 internet and cable bill that ended up around $95 + the cable box rental fee that I can't even remember what they used to charge. It was around 33% higher than the advertised cost.

Oh you mean the broadcast surcharge and sports surcharge? The ones that applied to everyone and you couldn't opt out of?

Trust me they are trying to find ways to push more. I used to work at a local cable company/ISP :)

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Halloween Jack posted:

Also, when did God come down from heaven and write in stone that Trump will be worse than Biden on Israel? I see no reason to believe that's the case. Trump doesn't care about anything but his public image and feeling important; that could well be more responsive to public pressure than Biden, who is a gleefully genocidal advocate for Israel and doesn't appear to care what anyone thinks. Trump, as far as I know, hasn't committed blood libel against Palestinians.

This is not the first time this has come up and every single time people put together a litany of quotes from Trump about supporting Israel just killing all of them, it goes unaddressed or handwaved away with "Well that's just Trump saying things he just says whatever".

Do you think Trump would be better to Palestine? Don't give me the "well the future is unknowable" coward answer that happened the last time this came up, give a concrete answer. Yes or no? Why?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Halloween Jack posted:

Do I think Trump will be better? Probably not. What do you think Trump will do for Israel that Biden isn't already doing? If it's vocal support, Biden's already doing that. Will he send more weapons? Deploy American troops? Setting aside that Trump does care about his approval rating beyond the diehard base, how much does the magachudbase really want to send troops to Gaza, or incur visible economic impacts for Israel's sake?

So you don't think Trump will be any better on Palestine (and for the record: I think Joe Biden is loving dogshit on Palestine!), which means that it's bad that people point out that Joe Biden is better on a number of significant, relevant things (like trans rights) because ....???

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Halloween Jack posted:

It's bad to tell people that they have an ethical responsibility to vote for a genocidaire. I'm not opposed to discussing the difference between any two candidates' policies on any given issue.

So you're open to discussing the policy differences, but you don't want anyone to "threaten" you with Trump by doing things like "bringing up things he's already done":

Halloween Jack posted:

I'd just prefer people not use the threat of Trump to shame/threaten people to try to get them to vote for Biden. It's obscene.

...and you believe that we can't possibly know what influence he would have on policy, despite four years of him being in office:

Halloween Jack posted:

What's the connection between voting for Biden and thwarting anti-trans legislation? Anti-trans legislation is generally unpopular and a big electoral loser for Republicans. Most of these bills are at the state level, though there was a big surge at the federal level last year. How many more will be introduced under Trump than Biden? How many will pass? What positive effect will Trump's election have on passing these bills? We don't know.

Even though you've already acknowledged that Donald Trump is at best going to be just as lovely about Palestine, which is the thing you're mad at Joe Biden for (correctly!)

I don't understand what your end goal is. "Genocide bad"? Yes! It is! We agree! "It sucks that the two real options for President are both awful about Palestine"? Yes! It does! We agree! But if literally none of the other issues matter to you, then what's the point of discussing them?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Neat Bee posted:

The real work is convincing others to join us in doing everything in our power to upset a system where we're told the base outcome is ethnic cleansing.

If you actually think this, why has all of your posting been about "genocide is bad", a statement that thus far, nobody has disagreed with?

Neat Bee posted:

Genocide is on the ballot, there are leftist candidates that would stop Israel.

Huh, that's weird. The work is in convincing others to vote for a more leftist candidate, which is why you have yet to discuss them, you've just been screaming that "genocide is bad", which seems more like the purpose is to depress votes for Biden than voting for a more leftist candidate.

Neat Bee posted:

If they don't win then this government should be forcibly replaced.

Okay, so what's your plan for--

Neat Bee posted:

Are you hoping for a 10 point plan on how to dismantle and replace the two party system? There's no roadmap.

Oh. You don't have one. Huh. So I should just trust someone who can't even post on their main account, who doesn't have any plan or anything beyond "genocide bad"? Seems risky.

Neat Bee posted:

To those who make the "I'm voting for my safety" argument, I would say you have a moral imperative to put your safety at risk to send a message that we won't tolerate this, we cannot pay for safety with the lives of innocent people. Can anyone be safe if a government that is rapidly falling into fascism makes mass murder a tool in their arsenal?

But you have no moral obligation to do the least harm, nor do your own actions reflect your words (which is why you aren't trying to convince people to vote for a more leftist candidate, you're telling people they are obligated to not vote for Biden).

Why should anyone believe that this is anything other than trying to stir the pot, especially as someone with a very similar name was probated just recently for saying basically the same "the government needs to be taken down" poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Kristi Noem has been full of poo poo about her "farming experience" for a long fuckin time and as a South Dakotan I'm so glad she has decided to get clowned on by everyone ever

I know that there was a farm at one point, though, because it played an important role in her father dying in an extremely stupid way (and then her proceeding to make up poo poo about his death to support removing the estate tax)