Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Zapp Brannigan posted:

I don't buy that politicspa poll. There's no way McCormick is over performing Trump here. That dude lost to Mehmet loving Oz in the primary 2 years ago.

That might lend some credence to his strength in a general election though. Losing in a primary means you are less appealing to the base, which in this case is insane.

I imagine most people don't know anything about McCormick beyond him working for a hedge fund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Social media companies have the right to defend themselves.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Sounds like Biden should ask Wray to resign.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
https://apnews.com/article/israel-palestinians-poll-biden-war-gaza-4159b28d313c6c37abdb7f14162bcdd1

Joe Biden, Warmonger, is now more extreme than most independents.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump starts running to the left of Biden on this issue since even Republicans are starting to find Israel going too far in notable amounts

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Trump bringing the US to the brink of conflict with Iran.

Well you have a point, Biden never brought us to the brink of conflict, he dove right into a conflict.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Mooseontheloose posted:

Trump directly bombed Iran.

When did this happen?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Also, for the numerous posters pointing out what Trump would do: that's largely irrelevant.

People are starting to view Biden as a warmonger negatively and if there's one thing we know about Trump, it's that he has no problem claiming viewpoints that don't at all represent what he actually thinks or what he will do. So yes, he absolutely can and will claim he would not have escalated like Biden if we end up becoming ensnared into a larger conflict in the ME.

Not to mention that you're not going to ever win over Republicans running as a Dem hawk/neocon anyway.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 3, 2024

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Wouldn't it make more sense to hold early primaries in diverse states that are also actually in play?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

FistEnergy is correct that a large chunk of Democrats absolutely view politics as a team sport rather than about the specifics of public policy because most people don't know many specifics about public policy and take their cues from leaders they trust. This is extremely clear from public polling and human behavior in general.

I think he is wrong in comparing the current situation.

The Republicans getting most of their border demands attached to a broader spending bill, having nearly every elected official turn around and oppose their own bill because Trump wanted to keep the issue alive for the election, and 3/4 of Republican voters approving despite spending years saying that border security was of cataclysmic importance is actually unprecedented.

It would be like if after they spent 2 years negotiating Obamacare, then Obama announced that he wanted to keep healthcare as an issue for the next election, hundreds of elected Democrats all swapped and voted down the Obamacare bill, and registered Democrats went from 90% in support to 80% opposed to government subsidized healthcare in 72 hours.

It is pretty much unprecedented for every elected official and nearly every voter in a national political party to swap positions on an issue that they have rated their #1 most important issue for years in less than 3 days because one person said to.

But they haven't shifted on the issue. They simply prefer to win the election as a higher priority.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
It's amusing that this is the 2nd Dem president in a row where Republicans have saved the country from a lovely bill.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Kchama posted:

The Dems got everything they wanted and the Republicans gave up everything they wanted. And Dems even get to brag that the Republicans are the ones screwing up here. How is this the DEMs being outsmarted and outmaneuvered...?

The Democrats have completely ceded the argument that immigration and immigrants are bad for the America.

That's good if you care about the Democrats as an entity or a team because they're winning but bad if you care about the Democrats as being an anti-racist anti-nativist anti-nationalist political party.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah there’s a difference between “immigrants are bad for America” or “they’re invading us so we must close the border” and “the current border situation is a humanitarian crisis and is in desperate need of reform.”

Which isn’t to say that this was good reform. But I don’t think the Democrats have effectively started screaming about caravans of terrorists and poisoning the blood of America by proposing it.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/al-sharpton-calls-border-crisis-invasion-wants-gop-senators-pressured-allowing-continue

Democrats are literally going on TV and calling it an invasion

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Kchama posted:

Al Sharpton is not a legislator, he's a talk show host. And your own article (Fox News) notes that other liberals found those remarks to be 'highly controversial' to say the least.

The "other liberals" cited are a law professor and a HuffPo writer.

And it's not like Sharpton is a nobody, he's an MSNBC host. And he said this to a current US senator on Morning Joe, which as everyone knows is Joe Biden's favorite television program. And the senator was asking him for advice on how to get people to pressure other senators to pass the bill!

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Sounds like the Republicans have a point. I just watched a gang mass assault someone with video evidence and the cops gave the victim a ticket.

Life in a Dem city. Endless crime.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

World Famous W posted:

him fearing an audit just lends credibility he's playing games with his taxes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deU8rRrzf5Y

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Madkal posted:

Kind of rich that Republicans who have pretty much deified Reagan are concerned about Biden's memory and cognitive abilities.

The big reason it's in the news is due to the special prosecutor's report. He was hired by Garland, who Biden himself picked.

Blaming this on Republicans is silly. Biden shot himself in the foot.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Failboattootoot posted:

Bold stance to take when the opposition has an itchy nuke finger.

I mean, Trump nuking Palestine due to being pro-Israel is darkly funny to anyone that has seen a map of the area.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Tnega posted:

I blame the algorithms. While not twitch, when reviewing my own consumption, male streamers tend to have content like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWLJ230cmrs, whereas female streamers have content like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzLNMR-wlRY. I see no specific reason genderwise why 30 minute video essays on monetization are limited to men, but the closest I see pop up occasionally by women are more "current events/news" type content. That said, to me, the algorithms are a black box, and therefore the easiest to blame.

I'm not really sure what this has to do with anything, except you telling us you like to watch VTubers I guess?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Right. Like John Stewart did a bit last night where he talked about Biden's memory failures then cut to clips of Trump forgetting all the same poo poo in depositions. It's an absurdly false equivalence that the NYT is hammering because, well, probably mostly because the NYT is owned by right wingers.

People are also mad at Jon Stewart for being too hard on Biden though.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Anno posted:

Was there much reputable polling for this race?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Actually as I was listing the reasons this district is unique, all but one should have favored the Republican. Maybe it is good news.
Most swing districts:
Are not 20% Jewish, many of whom are now single-issue Israel voters
Do not have the Republicans running a candidate practically tailor made for the district
Are not in states where abortion rights are secure
Are not right next to a city where a surge of migration is overwhelming services, and where the NY Post is constantly highlighting that fact
Are not laughingstocks for having elected George Santos
...huh, I thought this was going to be more balanced, maybe this is pretty good news for the Dems

You're missing arguably the single biggest factor: Suozzi held the seat for several terms, leaving it to run for Governor instead

He's not technically an incumbent but he is essentially an incumbent

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
IIRC Newsmax pivoted away from election fraud claims after they received a bunch of lawsuits, similar to Fox

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
There was, at the time, a general vibe that calling out ages was a Bad Thing.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/juli-n-castro-accused-joe-biden-forgetting-did-he-go-n1054061

I remember this instance very specifically because Castro got blasted by everyone for suggesting Biden forgot something and thus implying he's too old.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
All that poll really says is people don't have as much recognition of the non-Biden non-Harris people. Note that Trump does not actually get much more votes against any of the candidates. Harris has essentially the same recognition as Biden + Trump and she's running 1 point behind Biden.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

zoux posted:

Again, the point of it is that there have been about 1000 think pieces about why Biden should drop out but there is no evidence that voters want a different candidate. If one of these folks were in the primaries against him would those numbers change? Probably! But there's nothing you can point to, no Bernie-like figure racking up small donations and packing venues with excited supporters as an obvious replacement that the Elites at the DNC Weather Control Center are blocking from becoming the nominee. People are just "eh, someone other than Biden" because fully like a third of the electorate hasn't internalized that it's going to be a 2020 rematch and is only half paying attention.

I think it's pretty clear that if anyone ran against Biden, they would be persona non grata as far as the DNC or Democrats are concerned. It's essentially enforcing self-censorship (a very timely topic)

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Dems have allowed the framing of 'late term abortion' to go unchallenged, despite it being an extremely rare procedure that is only done when a fetus is not viable or there is a legitimate health concern for the mother.

They haven't simply "allowed" it to go unchallenged, they've directly promoted it.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 17, 2024

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Right, and the point is that they need to change their messaging on this. Pre-Dobbs, they essentially just let the GOP set the terms of abortion dialogue at a national level for decades. Now they need to have an actual position.

I await Joe Biden's 12 week abortion plan that will fail to pass due to 10 House MAGA reps

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Grouchio posted:

Can someone explain to me all the media fuss about the russian EMP satellite? I know turner leaked the alert early and that the satellite is utilized to wipe out many spaceborne satellites - is this anything new? Anything to look out for - or is this another redundant deterrent to bolster rus prestige?

In theory, it would be a pretty effective weapon in that it could wipe out a number of satellites if used which would be very disruptive to a large swath of the planet. If it was ever used it would easily be the largest infrastructure attack ever against multiple countries simultaneously.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Between 2016 and 2020, special elections taken as a whole did pretty well in predicting the next major election. Dems in 2017 and 2018 ran around +10% over the 2016 presidential results in the same area and did well in the midterms. In 2019 and 2020, they ran a bit below +5%, which matched in with the election where Dems did worse than in the midterms but better than in 2016.

As an example for the recent NY-03 election, Biden won there by 8 points in 2020 and Scuozzi won his special by about 8 points as well. So it's fair to expect 2024 to be very close to 2020 based on this 1 special election. Ideally though you would want to compare all special elections since 2022 vs. the 2020 presidential votes. And do some sort of time-weighting on the results to favor more recent ones.

Overall, for elections in 2023-2024, Dems are running about +3.6% which is pretty good however they have been running worse in the later part of the cycle. For example, their 2024 margin has been -1.9%.

Source:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ajyphWQru9TgDDiBe8kvEmApBEXND2wl9MVaxi1dndk/edit#gid=0

koolkal fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 20, 2024

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Yawgmoft posted:

The second point you raised is correct, but if anything I think Biden is far more supportive of Israel than Trump is. All it would take is one perceived slight for Trump to abandon them, while Biden is perfectly willing to take slap after slap from Netanyahu while trying to funnel even more money to him.

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-benjamin-netanyahu-israel-hamas-republicans-63295565c0abe5b30da5898a6b8eb01a

https://apnews.com/article/trump-netanyahu-israel-2024-primary-criticism-7fb4181b664bb28408ff92b8e5565ced

I suspect that while he personally doesn't care, his party being so pro-Israel will push him to also be pro-Israel.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Christians.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Eric Cantonese posted:

I've been out of the loop. What happened with Cori Bush? Is it that scandal with hiring her husband as a bodyguard or something like that?

Even worse, she spoke out against the genocide

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Biden announced that the U.S. has been secretly negotiating a ceasefire in Gaza and expects to announce a ceasefire agreement within a week.

The deal includes the release of 40 of the remaining Israeli hostages and dozens of Palestinians convicted of terrorism in Israel.

The initial ceasefire would last 6 weeks and include a negotiation for a permanent cessation of hostilities.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1762249127469998113

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/02/26/world/israel-hamas-war-gaza-news

Uh, how is this a secret? These talks have been known for a while.

Like, here's an article about Biden talking about it a couple weeks ago lol: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-israel-hamas-hostage-negotiations-rafah-king-abdullah/

And an article from a month ago!: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/24/world/middleeast/israel-hamas-hostages-ceasefire-talks.html

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Crows Turn Off posted:

Is there evidence that the slight increase in uncommitted is actually due to Biden's support of Israel? It's my understanding that a large majority of both Democrats and Republicans support Israel, or that it is a non-issue when compared to stuff like grocery prices?

A plurality of both Democrats and Independents disapprove of Israel's handling of the war and want more humanitarian aid to Gaza instead of military aid to Israel. In fact, most voters in general don't want the US to continue giving Israel military aid.

https://web.archive.org/web/20240223223833/https://pro.morningconsult.com/analysis/israel-hamas-polling-february-2024

None of this really matters though since much of the party is just doing whatever is necessary to keep Biden competitive with Trump. Biden is clearly continuing to pursue his current course of action because he just really loves Israel and he has no issues with taking down the party with him and letting Trump win. And the party can't exactly criticize him because he is the incumbent and is going to be the candidate and needs all the help he can get right now.

So you end up in this bizarre situation where most Dem politicians are way to the right of your average Dem voter on the issue because they have to support Genocide Joe or else Trump wins. A majority of even Republicans ("At the same time, roughly 3 in 5 voters — including 70% of Democrats, 55% of independents and 51% of Republicans — continue to express support for a cease-fire, similar to the levels of support captured last month.") want a ceasefire while tons of Dem politicians absolutely refuse to say the word.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 28, 2024

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Main Paineframe posted:

Biden's openly pushing for a humanitarian ceasefire. He's just doing it through private direct negotiations with Israel and Hamas, rather than public posturing.

Additionally, of the 69 members of Congress who've explicitly called for a ceasefire, literally every single one of them is a Democrat.

You can be disappointed that Biden isn't exerting as much pressure as you'd like for a ceasefire, and you can be disappointed that not as many Democrats as you'd hope have endorsed a ceasefire, but maybe dial down the hyperbole a little bit.

There are 212 House members and 51 Senate members. 69 / (212 + 51) = 26% vs. 70% of Dem voters. That is absolutely insane.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

And heres a poll that says mostly the opposite

https://twitter.com/DSchwammenthal/status/1762560219270300049?t=jSVK0zHN53psJPLu2lVpyw&s=19

can we just ban pollsters already

An independent poll is far different than a poll from the Director of the AJCTAI. When you're polling whether voters support Israel or Hamas, it's not a great poll. You're simply muddying the waters and trying to claim all polling is bad by using an incredibly partisan poll.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/02/29/biden-walks-back-gaza-truce-00144168

Lmao that even Biden is now joining Israel and Hamas in shaking his head at Genocide Joe's claims about a ceasefire coming soon

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

PharmerBoy posted:

When things are phrased in the manner of "Let's laugh at this person failing to achieve the thing," and the context of the accompanying writing implies the thing being done is a good thing, it ultimately gives me the feeling that this isn't really about Palestine or Israel as much as it's about scoring points against Joe Biden.

Not that I'm implying bad faith, mind you! Just giving advice on how you might be more rhetorically effective when people like me read your comments.

I don't care about being rhetorically effective. The facts of the story stand on their own. If you are going to change your beliefs simply on the way I frame it, that says more about you than it does about me. I'm laughing at the people claiming that this story of a ceasefire was proof that Biden was actually trying to stop the genocide.

Examples:

Raenir Salazar posted:

Ceasefire Joe has a pretty good ring to it.

Kalit posted:

Once again, Biden showing that things can be accomplished behind the scenes. So much for Biden's "hardline Zionist" stance that I had to argue against earlier ITT

People have constantly argued with me that Biden actually cares deeply about the plight of the Palestinian people despite all the evidence I constantly see pointing out the opposite.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

In addition to what pharmer said, some of this is in light of the massacre of 140ish people at an aid distribution site.

Both parties involved completely denied the story prior to the massacre. It's possible they were simply both lying and this deal was actually about to happen in the next 3-4 days until this massacre happened.

But the alternative and simpler explanation to me is that it was never true. Whether Biden made it up to influence his primary numbers prior to Michigan or if he had a mush-brained moment while eating ice cream, I can't say.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

blackmet posted:

It's a small, fickle part of the electorate with ever shifting goalposts who never has anything good to say about you and will threaten to leave you for an alcoholic abuser for forgetting to bring up the garbage bins from the sidewalk after spending your whole day cleaning the entire rest of the house.

What an oddly specific analogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Majorian posted:

This begs the question, who is Biden hoping to win by taking a right-wing line on immigration and the border? And if he manages to attract voters because of his stance on this issue, will it be enough to cover for the voters that he loses because of it (young voters, for example)?

This is the gambit Dems take every time on every issue.