Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The Mods posted:

Welcome to USCE 2024. This is for discussing current events in the united states. For current events happening elsewhere that may be related to US policy, see Israel/Palestine, Middle East, War in Ukraine, and others you find in the forum index. For more in-depth discussion of issues related to US current events, please use relevant threads when they exist. These include Climate Change, SCOTUS, 2024 GOP primary, and the newly made Electoral Politics and Political Strategies.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yes, Something Awful forum members can generally make new threads. Unless you're talking about Kith specifically, in which case I agree, it's a major oversight to allow them to make new threads.

agreed

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

We need a few thread-specific IKs or something.

thanks for volunteering

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the only "biden old!!!" coverage that ever gave me pause was when his eye started disintegrating live on-stage and that turned out to be nothing. george w bush showed that it's completely possible to be a competent politician while also not being able to speak worth a gently caress.

and before someone gets the wrong idea: saying dubya was competent is not praise, it's pointing out that he did war crimes just fine and advanced his horrific agenda flawlessly despite his occasional goofy malaphor

Kith fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 9, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

sleep with the vicious posted:

George w bush is 4 years younger than biden and was president 25 years ago

His folksy mannerisms and fake sayings were part pf his charm strategy

Joe Biden cannot remember the difference between Egypt and Mexico

do you have substantial proof of this or are you just parroting a right-wing talking point

also it's weird that you're saying that bush's mannerisms were part of his strategy because it's implying that biden's mannerisms aren't. or are you saying that bush's mistakes don't count for ??? reasons but biden's do for different ??? reasons

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Jaxyon posted:

Biden's mannerisms ARE part of his strategy but so was Bush's.

He adopted the twang after running for office when he got feedback that he sounded too intellectual.

Go back and watch his early political debates. His entire ranch was just a skit.

I wouldn't say he was dumb though, just intellectually lazy.

i'm aware

Olga Gurlukovich posted:

I predict this line of questioning will be a big winner when responding to people's sincere concerns of an 81 year old running for pesident

:ok:

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

The difference between dumb and senile is senility progresses. That’s why it’s more of a liability. The fact Biden has been doing this forever helps him a lot more than if he’d just started in the last couple years for sure.

yeah that's kinda my point. like no poo poo biden is old and i'm definitely not happy about how old he is but also it hasn't mattered nearly as much as anyone predicted it would and all of the talk about his most recent gaffe is piss in the wind straight out of the right wing media machine. he made a mixup. who gives a poo poo. it happens, it has happened before, and it will happen again. it doesn't change the fact that he's been a competent leader who has accomplished a shocking amount of good things and that trend will likely continue.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

it would be nice if biden did anything to earn my vote outside of "not being trump"

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Main Paineframe posted:

He actually did a bunch of historically unprecedented progressive poo poo, the kind of stuff people would have thought was a pipe dream back in 2008. But none of that stuff goes viral on Twitter, so no one knows about it.

your "well actually" makes me go zzz snore sleeping etc because i know that:

Kith posted:

it doesn't change the fact that he's been a competent leader who has accomplished a shocking amount of good things and that trend will likely continue.

this does not change the fact that he has also done or otherwise enabled horrible things that would make me vote for literally anyone else if it was not a choice between him and trump

cdc posted:

Yes, but here we are. Do you want Trump?

If not, you should vote for Biden even if he sucks. But he sucks a lot less than Trump.

i'm agreeing with you, bud

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

i've got good news

how do you feel about *rolls dice* groundbreaking antitrust action and an absolute shitload of action on student debt

that's nice, now you're falling back to "well he actually did major things to earn my vote but i'm still mad"

your first post was basically factually wrong

what the gently caress is wrong with you lmao

Kith posted:

this does not change the fact that he has also done or otherwise enabled horrible things that would make me vote for literally anyone else if it was not a choice between him and trump

how do you read that and get "your first post was actually wrong"

i can like+appreciate the good things biden has done
i can also hate+be disgusted by the bad things biden has done
i can, additionally, and most relevant to this conversation, state that biden's bad things disgust me to the point where if he was not the only thing standing between me and another trump presidency, i would not vote for him, but he is, so i will

the good things biden did are not what earned him my vote. they're nice and cool but to me genocide support is pretty disqualifying and would be the end of my support if not for the current circumstances

e: cool you edited in a little bit more!!! attaboy get them sick dunks, surely this will not come back to bite you when you realize that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of this discussion

Google Jeb Bush posted:

and you're trying to sneer about being called out on it

yeah nah i'm just clarifying my position because y'all assumed that a passing comment was my entire stance

Kith fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Feb 11, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Riptor posted:

Ignoring how willfully ignorant this is of recent history, how about just Biden's one existing and potential future scotus nomination(s). is that enough for you

i recommend reading the thread before posting

e: heck not even the whole thread. just like. the most recent posts

Kith fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 11, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

zoux posted:

You may or may have not heard that there was an attempted mass shooting at Lakewood Church in Houston (Osteen's church) on Sunday. The discourse on this one is going to be intolerable, as the perpetrator ended up being a trans woman with "Free Palestine" written on her AR-15. She was stopped by "good guys with guns", so this will perfectly slot into the conservative narrative on guns and mass shootings. (That the off duty cops returning fire likely shot a child who is not expected to survive will be omitted of course).

Fox is already visibly erect over it

what subforums did she post in

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Eric Cantonese posted:

"No one wants to do phone sex work anymore!"

idk i make a pretty good living off of it

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Koos Group posted:

The OP of this thread has been updated accordingly.

rip to honk honk guy, he never scored

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

unfortunately the greater population either largely doesn't give a poo poo about what's going on in gaza or actively supports it b/c "israel is the good guys". while it's appalling and disgusting to us, it is not to the majority of the voting bloc, and so it is unlikely to negatively impact biden in any significant way

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

Was it a mistake for the Biden administration to use the words "final solution"?

did this actually happen anywhere?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

and here i thought i was too jaded to experience utter disbelief anymore

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/CateMartel/status/1760711946741916000

Hell yeah I hit the Babbitt Murder 4x bonus during MAGA multiball

not even a real pinball machine, just a 3d screen. pathetic

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the ceasefire talks sure are a nice gesture in tandem with the billions of dollars of missiles and poo poo we've been sending

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

good. it always chapped my rear end as a kid to get yelled at for having a phone but in retrospect it was definitely for the best. i don't think phones should be banned from schools entirely but they 100% should not be in the classroom.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I know it isn't really the teacher's fault directly, but that article is really depressing with how impotent they seem.

The kids are watching Netflix openly all class, she tells them to put their phone away, they say no, and she just goes back to trying to teach.

lmao what the gently caress

my teachers had open authority to confiscate whatever the gently caress they felt like, including and especially phones. hell, i've even had a teacher try to relieve me of my lunch. i got sent to the dean's office multiple times and even sentenced to detention for not surrendering whatever item a teacher decided they were going to try to steal from me. i absolutely cannot imagine teachers lacking the impulse or power to simply take the phones away

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

an utterly heartbreaking series of posts. even worse is that this is a valid concern w/r/t phones in school:

GlassEye-Boy posted:

without cell phones how are kids going to call their parents when a school shooting happens?!

e:

JonathonSpectre posted:

In my district, if I take a phone away from a student, or require them to put it in a phone prison, I am legally responsible for the phone until the student retrieves it. It could cost me $1000+ to do this. So guess what? Look at your loving phone all you want. I'll call your parent one time and tell them you're on it in class, and let them know that if the phone is at school after that they must be okay with their student using it in class so there'll be no more phone calls.

This plus excellent documentation has led to some very, very embarrassing parent-teacher conferences, I'll tell you.

Just think about how stupid this is a minute. All I need to do to get a new phone is put a broken one in the phone prison and then say it was working when I put it in there. If a kid knocks the phone prison down and breaks 4-5 phones I am now responsible for FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS worth of distraction devices that should not be in school at all.

Just ban the loving things entirely and make it 10 days out of school suspension for getting caught with one. They're loving classroom cancer. Ban them completely.

my school's policy was that if your property was confiscated, you were still responsible for it despite it being in the teacher's/dean's possession because you having it was why it was confiscated in the first place. which sounds loving insane now that i think about it, especially since several teachers constantly used it to straight up steal from the students on a regular basis, but it was also a brutally effective policy that kept kids from bringing poo poo that they shouldn't.

Kith fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 27, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Eason the Fifth posted:

What good would calling your parents do though? We've all seen Uvalde.

getting to say goodbye.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

as if wendy's wasn't poo poo enough

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Kith posted:

getting to say goodbye.

hey mods this exchange left me in a super bad place mentally, i'll take a 3-day vacation to keep my sadbrained rear end from doomposting

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Yo hey man that was rhetorical, didn't mean to send you into a spin. Hope you're OK:glomp:

don't sweat it, you're fine and i'm alright, i just need to forcibly stop thinking about this topic for a while

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the only people who care about polls sooner than three months out from the election are:
  • trying to push a narrative
  • trying to sell a narrative
  • trying to find a narrative
it is not healthy to do any of these. it is better for your mental and emotional health to ignore polling until debates start because that's when normal people start paying attention and poll sample sizes/respondants are made up of regular folks instead of fringe weirdos

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Fart Amplifier posted:

Telling people it's mentally unhealthy to care about polls when Donald Trump runs a perfectly good chance of winning a second term isn't responsible.

There is no healthy option in this political climate. Trump represents a tangible danger for people

what does reading a poll do to change this

e: what does reading a poll primarily answered by people with landlines do to change this

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

"the gwen stefani variable" is an incredibly good username

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Fart Amplifier posted:

You don't get to decide its mentally unhealthy just because you feel like it's not doing anything. Do you really not get how telling people that mundane poo poo they do is mentally unhealthy on a forum is irresponsible?

Reading this forum does nothing. Is it also unhealthy?

i didn't say it wasn't doing anything, it's obviously doing something - it's generating a bunch of hand-wringing and anxiety where there doesn't have to be any

also you didn't answer my question

Fart Amplifier posted:

I don't care about polls.

What causes me discomfort is people downplaying Trump's chances of winning like they did in 2016.

also² this is not at all what i'm doing and i struggle to find an angle where what i posted could be interpreted as such

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i thought we got rid of qcs to prevent this exact kind of thing

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Black Trump Supporters Are Being AI-Generated posted:

Donald Trump supporters are creating and sharing AI-generated images of the former president with Black voters. The photos appear to be an attempt to inflate Trump’s popularity with the Black community, which may be irreparably harmed by his ties to white supremacist groups, but the photos are nothing but fakes.

In the leadup to the 2024 Presidential Election, several of these AI-generated dupes of Black Trump supporters have popped up on social media. One image is a holiday photo depicting Trump embracing several Black people. However, it’s an AI dupe created by The Mark Kaye Show, a conservative talk show, and distributed on Facebook to over one million of Kaye’s Facebook followers. The post from November, first reported by the BBC, was not labeled as being AI-generated in any way.

“I never thought I would read the words ‘BLM Leader endorses Donald Trump,’ but then again, Christmas is the time for miracles,” said Kaye in a Facebook post.

The image is obviously an AI fake. Trump’s hands look deformed, and the person on the far left is missing a ring finger. AI is notoriously bad with hands. Not to mention the gentleman’s hat in the back left is gibberish. AI-generated misinformation is a growing problem in the 2024 Presidential Election.

This is certainly not the first AI dupe of Trump’s Black supporters. One image of a Black man picketing for Donald Trump went viral on X in January, shared by a conservative pollster. However, it was quickly revealed as an AI deepfake when users noticed the man had three arms.

A separate account, @Trump_History45, frequently shares AI-generated images of Trump with Black people, with no labels about being AI-generated. Some of the account’s images are obviously jokes, showing Trump in ridiculous historical circumstances, including the former President posing with Martin Luther King Jr. However, comments on many of the more modern-looking posts reveal that many viewers don’t perceive these as fakes.

None of these AI-generated images have been tied back to Trump’s campaign, though the former president is no stranger to AI. Trump repeatedly claims photos that make him look bad are AI-generated, including unflattering photos from a recent golf trip that were unfortunately real. It’s a concerning tactic Trump is using more and more.

A January poll from NBC found that 16% of Black voters said they would back Trump in 2024, compared to 75% who supported Biden. Notably, Trump’s support among Black voters is modestly rising, up from 7% in 2020.

Trump’s ties to extremist groups, like Turning Point USA, might be pushing Black conservative voters to the brink, however. Turning Point represents the most extreme views in the conservative party, and also raises tens of millions of dollars for Trump. A prominent Black Trump supporter, Raynard Jackson, recently denounced Turning Point and its leader, Charlie Kirk, for their widely publicized attacks on MLK.

The 45th President of the United States recently told a South Carolina crowd that Black voters like him more now because of his indictments and mug shot. It’s one of many strategies Trump is pulling to appeal to new voters, including selling $400 gold branded sneakers.

AI-generated deepfakes have already wreaked havoc on American politics, and it’s likely only going to get worse as the 2024 election approaches. Politicians like Trump seem to be reaping the benefits of some AI deepfakes while using it as an excuse to make bad press go away.

starting to think that this trump fella isn't on the level

also it's pretty loving pathetic that he (or his followers) are stooping to this kinda poo poo

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Kalli posted:

Yeah, but the real trick is how are they getting those generated people to answer all those polls?

according to fox, by selling them sneakers

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

bruh his hand look like pig feet

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Boris Galerkin posted:

is trump too poor

not yet, but soon :getin:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Zwabu posted:

Orange is the New Black, eh?

:drat:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

quote:

Under Trump, we didn't have inflation. Inflation, coronavirus, immigration surges, and crime all happened on Biden's watch. We didn't have those problems with Trump.

y'all ever wonder if america is a lost cause

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Nucleic Acids posted:

All I have to go off of are the polls that exist right now and the aggregates, and they are not something anyone who supports Biden should be ignoring right now.

hey remember in 2016 when polls around this time of year said trump wouldn't be president? haha yeah

(the moral of this post is that polls this early in the cycle (arguably before the cycle has even started) mean absolutely gently caress all and always have)

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

capitalizing "great republican party" is weird when its already the gop. he's a weird dude, i'm realizing

he's always trying to rebrand poo poo to his own personal version so he can tell when someone is quoting him and not someone else. reminder he's so utterly narcissistic that he interrupted an interview to confirm that the interviewer was talking about his businesses specifically

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

part of the reason that you shouldn't take polls seriously this far out is because the people who respond to them tend to not be a great demographic. like if you're polling via landlines in this day and age, what do you think those respondents are going to be like?

pretty much the only polls worth keeping an eye on right now are exit polls for the primaries, since those tend to be answered by a broader variety of people and therefore be more representative of the average citizen.

e: mostly representative.

https://x.com/_cingraham/status/1765461345808580786?s=20

Kith fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the US choosing to manifest a port out of thin air is like how Burger King was deployed in the middle east. it sounds a little silly until you think about what it says about the US's military might that they can just do that