Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

According to her friends and campaign staff: She legitimately thought she was going to be the first female President and possibly the first independent President by riding a career as a maverick like John McCain. She kept following her heart and not listening to people all throughout her career and she went from a part-time community college teacher and green party activist to the Senate in 7 years. So, she figured she knew what she was doing.

Now, it seems like she is operating mostly out of some combination of spite, attention, and opportunity to cash out.

I’d love to hear the full train of thought spelled out. Like, I can kind of get how she imagined the presidency thing working out, because “I’m going to be the independent maverick that gets in because I just talk so much sense and am so obviously right, and people will like that I’m not beholden to either party” isn’t exactly an uncommon delusion. But where did she see “loudly renege in my campaign promises and espoused principles” being something that worked for her prior supporters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration has a new study out showing that nearly all automobile deaths in the United States are preventable.

The single biggest contributors to deaths (of car passengers or drivers and not counting pedestrians) are:

1) People not wearing seatbelts.
2) People speeding far in excess of the posted limits.
3) People driving while distracted by a cell phone or intoxicated.

- 91.6% of Americans use a seat belt every time they drive.

- In 2022, 50% of all automobile fatalities where the driver or passenger died came from the 8.4% who were not wearing a seatbelt.

- Buckling up is actually more effective in preventing deaths while in a light SUV or truck than in a sedan.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle-safety/seat-belts

I know that it's ultimately a generational thing--I grew up with the Importance of Seatbelts being repeatedly hammered home in school, I don't think about buckling the seatbelt, it's pure muscle memory--but it's still wild to me that there's that many people who don't wear them. I feel less comfortable in a car without one, the snugness is nice.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

They have other studies and their annual safety stats include pedestrian deaths. It's just that in a study about seatbelt efficacy, you are by definition not including pedestrians because they have no seatbelts.

Well, now that we've identified the problem, it's just a matter of getting an executive mandate that all future pedestrians being produced have seatbelts installed.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

It's bonkers that Republicans have basically had some of the major policy goals they have been pursuing for decades handed to them on a silver platter, but lost everything because they were bundled with a few things Democrats wanted.

And even more bonkers that it happened again 10 years later.

If you are someone who prefers Republican public policy, then it must be infuriating that they refuse to take the win.

No, no, this isn't the same thing.

They're rejecting the thing they wanted and asking to pass only the additional things the Democrats wanted instead, without the things they wanted.

It's even more bonkers than you're saying.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

When the report first came out, I remember thinking that it was probably exaggerated, but I kind of assumed there was like, a kernel of truth in there, probably? And then we just kept getting story after story about Biden being old and decrepit and how he's probably senile or something. And even as someone who thought that that was probably not as true as it was made out to be, the sheer volume of stories started to weigh on my perception.

And now the transcript comes out and reveals "Oh, yeah, he's fine, actually, that was all basically entirely fabricated". I still wish that he wasn't So Old, of course, but man it's an object lesson in the power of the media.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I would love the comedy timeline where Republican retirements give the dems control of the house for the last few months until the election. Just jam a million bills through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

For some irrelevant news, RFK Jr. is arguing that Biden's a bigger threat to democracy than Trump.

This appears to be him being Big Mad about his Instagram account getting suspended for spreading COVID misinfo, and the government communicating with social media companies about disinformation. He doesn't deny January 6, he just says this is worse.

Can the media stop covering this loser, please? Give it to a real candidate like Vermin Supreme.